Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

GAA

Read 62750 times
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      GAA
      Jan 31, 2009 07:41:15 pm
      New season kicking off tonight. Watching Dublin V Tyrone on Setanta under the floodlights at Croker. Also the 125th Anniversary of the GAA.
      Saturday, January 31st
      Division One
      Dublin v. Tyrone
      There could well be fireworks both on and off the pitch here. Tyrone’s games in the Dr McKenna Cup are to have brought them on plus the returning Stephen O’Neill looks like a man possessed. The Dubs could suffer yet again.
      Verdict: Tyrone

Might find a link here: http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=29627&part=sports

If you're wondering what I'm on about see here:

http://www.gaa.ie/page/all_about_football.html
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: GAA
      Reply #1: Jan 31, 2009 10:58:20 pm
      Cracking game of football that. Most of the scores from play as well  :)

The fireworks and lightshow after the game were quality as well
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #2: Feb 01, 2009 12:37:48 am
      Yeah, great game and brilliant show afterward. Thought I was watching the Superbowl for a minute!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3: Feb 01, 2009 01:01:39 pm
      Missed the match >_< It was under floodlights with the yellow ball was it?
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #4: Feb 01, 2009 01:23:06 pm
      Yeah, it was a great match. I had to laugh at the black card, I had to text my other half (who was at the game) to find out what it was.

Players are shown the black card at their first offence. It's the equivalent of getting your warning on your first foul in soccer. The ref takes their name and shows them his black notebook, hence black card.

:lmao:
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #5: Feb 01, 2009 02:19:19 pm
      Yeah, it was a great match. I had to laugh at the black card, I had to text my other half (who was at the game) to find out what it was.

Players are shown the black card at their first offence. It's the equivalent of getting your warning on your first foul in soccer. The ref takes their name and shows them his black notebook, hence black card.

:lmao:

>_< I no all about the black card believe me. I was shown it and I laughed at the ref because it was a minor match and there are never bookings in them only sending offs 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #6: Feb 01, 2009 09:24:52 pm
      Biggest attendance at a sporting event this weekend in the world including the superbowl
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #7: Feb 13, 2009 03:55:16 pm
      My Dad is from Tyrone and so scored us some tickets to the match. What a game- what a spectacle. It was such a good experience to have. Why can't every Gaelic match have this kind of event??
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #8: Feb 14, 2009 12:23:51 am
      Biggest attendance at a sporting event this weekend in the world including the superbowl

:D thats a great fact right there
      laoisred
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Mar 02, 2009 10:58:01 pm
      My own county Laois is playing Meath this Saturday in Meath under lights so should be a good bruising encounter. I remember being up there 3 years ago and the atmospere was electric. It was unusal for a Gealic match cos both sets of supporters spent the whole game chanting to each other.
      laoisred
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: Mar 09, 2009 12:32:24 am
      Was up in Meath last night and it was a disaster. 1-08 to 06 for Meath. We were brutal. Nearly as bad as the weather. We have Cork at home Saturday night so hopefully we can improve.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #11: Mar 09, 2009 03:17:56 pm
      Are the Laois minors coming through yet. I remember seeing them against Dublin a few years back in the All Ireland final, I was impressed
      laoisred
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #12: Mar 09, 2009 11:53:12 pm
      Are the Laois minors coming through yet. I remember seeing them against Dublin a few years back in the All Ireland final, I was impressed
          The last All Ireland they won was in '03 and the last Leinster was in '07, they got knocked out by Derry that year in a quarter final replay. I remember the first match in Croker as Dublin were playing Kerry that day. We were 8 points down with 5 minutes to go and fair play to the boys they managed to force a replay. A young lad called Zach Touhy scored what was called after ".one of the greatest goals ever scored in Croke Park." Last year they were knocked out of Leinster by Louth (I think). This years campaign has yet to start but I think the fire is gone from their bellies. Anyway mate UP LAOIS!!!!!
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #13: Mar 17, 2009 02:17:14 pm
      I can't believe i've missed this thread.

The league hasn't been geat, since the spectacle at Croke park everything seems to have gone quiet?

Can't wait for the championship! :) Dublin and Meath in the first round, what a match!
      laoisred
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: Mar 17, 2009 11:05:06 pm
      I can't believe I've missed this thread.

The league hasn't been geat, since the spectacle at Croke park everything seems to have gone quiet?

Can't wait for the championship! :) Dublin and Meath in the first round, what a match!
        The standard of football has been really bad in most games. A lot of teams are resorting to the short handpassing tactic which as you know is so boring to watch. Laois are desperate, beaten by Cork on Saturday night in a fairly one sided affair. As for Dublin and Meath in the Championship, it will be a real battle between these two as there always is.       :smack:
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #15: Mar 18, 2009 06:46:23 pm
        The standard of football has been really bad in most games. A lot of teams are resorting to the short handpassing tactic which as you know is so boring to watch. Laois are desperate, beaten by Cork on Saturday night in a fairly one sided affair. As for Dublin and Meath in the Championship, it will be a real battle between these two as there always is.       :smack:

I know, I had really high hopes after the Tyrone, Dublin match. Tyrone were playing football out of this world but everything has died down since. The handpassing game just slows down the whole game and limits scoring chances.

I have to say Kildare are playing well. They bossed Monaghan around but just fell asleep in the second half. They were still able to win the game.They will be interesting to watch in Leinster.

Dublin and Meath will be a very high tempered match as always. A few handbags no doubt but it should be a great game, and if Meath can beat Dublin then Leinster will be up for grabs.
      laoisred
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Mar 18, 2009 10:46:03 pm
      Kildare are looking good although Westmeath are doing well. Hard to look beyond Dublin for  Leinster but when the Championship starts its a different set up than the league. Laois U21s are in the Leinster final after beating Kildare yesterday in O'Moore Park .....3-11 to 0-11. Wasn't at the match but I heard it was a good game.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #17: Mar 18, 2009 11:21:38 pm
      Dublin will get done by Meath cos its the same squad full of the same mistakes
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #18: Mar 20, 2009 07:04:14 pm
      Dublin will get done by Meath cos its the same squad full of the same mistakes

Good point but I would like to think they will learn from their mistakes.

Hopefully Leinster will be more competitive than in recent years. It is a shame that the champions of Leinster struggle to get past the quarter finals of the All Ireland. A bit more competition will raise the standard of football. But to be honest I can see another Kerry V Tyrone final.
      laoisred
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #19: Mar 20, 2009 11:09:28 pm
      I fancy Kerry to win with the return of Jack O'Connor as manager. What I wouldn't give to have him as Laois boss. Did anybody read his book? I think the Dubs will struggle this year but they have quality players and the manager is new so you never can rule them out.

Kildare are nearing the finished article and I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Leinster final and beyond.
      Adz
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,192 posts |
      Reply #20: Mar 20, 2009 11:12:00 pm
      I was wondering what it was, i saw it on Setanta quite a while ago and find it very interesting. What's the other game called which involves a wide ended hockey stick and you can throw/catch the ball too.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #21: Mar 20, 2009 11:25:32 pm
      I was wondering what it was, I saw it on Setanta quite a while ago and find it very interesting. What's the other game called which involves a wide ended hockey stick and you can throw/catch the ball too.

Lacrosse?
      laoisred
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #22: Mar 20, 2009 11:37:58 pm
          Ha ha! The game you are referring to is called hurling. It's an ancient Irish game and the Scottish have a similar but slower version called shinty. Hurling is the fastest field sport in the world. I played it when I was younger and I have the scars to prove it! Go to gaa.ie and it'll give you all the information you need.

Quick Reply