Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

** Investment News - finally the LFC TAKEOVER! (Part 1) **

Read 52659 times
      FamousLiverbird100
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 211 posts |
      Re: ** LFC Investment News
      Reply #46: Dec 04, 2006 09:40:29 pm
      Yep Liverpool are to be taken over by DIC - owner is Sheikh Mohammed - his fortunes dwarfs that of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich - he is thought to be the fifth-richest person in the world with a fortune of $12 billion.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #47: Dec 04, 2006 09:46:34 pm
      so were is roman abramovich in the richest person list
      FamousLiverbird100
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 211 posts |
      Reply #48: Dec 04, 2006 09:52:00 pm
      well a few months ago i think he was placed 11th richest
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #49: Dec 04, 2006 10:30:57 pm
      With the more rapid developments recently I have now made this topic Sticky. oo er.

Sensible posts and responses only from now on in...
      molby86
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts |
      • Best left foot ever.........
      Reply #50: Dec 04, 2006 11:11:09 pm
      Overall I think this could be a positive move for the club if it goes ahead....its not like DIC are after turning a profit, exploiting the fans, increasing ticket prices massively and then looking to cash in and run - paying off their huge debts in the process...like some (eastward glance down the M62 to our neighbours in Trafford who must be seething....;D. :laughing-smiley-014:)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #51: Dec 04, 2006 11:40:24 pm
      Overall I think this could be a positive move for the club if it goes ahead....its not like DIC are after turning a profit, exploiting the fans, increasing ticket prices massively and then looking to cash in and run - paying off their huge debts in the process...like some (eastward glance down the M62 to our neighbours in Trafford who must be seething....;D. :laughing-smiley-014:)

Good point.  They clearly have massive wealth and although they are an investment firm I think they are sensible enough that Liverpool are grossly under-marketed and they could turn a profit. 

A long way to go yet but promising that Liverpool have pulled somebody big out the hat when we were expecting a local builder not so long ago. (albeit a wealthy one).  Unlike United our club will not be held up as the equity for any debt. 

I bet Alves has just doubled in price. 

They might even be able to afford condoms for some of the players now ;)
      molby86
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts |
      • Best left foot ever.........
      Reply #52: Dec 05, 2006 11:38:28 am
      Love my horse racing so know quite a bit about the Maktoums.

Not only do they have some of the best horses in the world ubder their Godolphin banner they also have great horse running in their own colours. The Maktoum family being

Sheikh Mohammed
      Sheikh Hamdan Al Maktoum
      Sheikh Maktoum Al Maktoum (recently deceased)
      Sheikh Ahmed Al Maktoum
      Shekih Obaid Al Maktoum
      Sheikh Arwan Al Maktoum

and one or 2 others.

They are contsantly aiming to be the best in the what they do and regularly put their money into the racing world, buying, sponsoring etc. At the American horse sales their bidding wars with Coolmore (John Magnier, Micahel Tabor, JP McManus) et al are becoming legendary. Often topping the $10 million barrier for horses.

Sheikmh Mohammed and family have a bigger vision of just winning the biggest and best races in the world.....

It is Dubai. All their investments all their big races won, they are constantly doing it in the name of the capital of the UAE.

Buying Liverpool is in my opinion as they are a world name in the sport is getting the name of Dubai recognised further in the world. OK why hasn't he gone for Madrid or Barcelona or the likes. Well Sheikh Mohammed loves Britain. He owns large chunks of the British countryside as well as a multitude of properties. He is not one of these veiled Sheikhs in sunglasses. He is often seen n Newmarket in t-shirt and jeans and flat cap. So it would make sense to get the biggest available name in England as he loves the place.

Furthermore I've just heard on Granada Reports (local North west news) some fella saying the investment will be that but nothing else. I disagree as well as being very rich the more he promotes Dubai the more the money will end up back in his pocket, albeit indirectly. He is the kind of man to strive to make Liverpool the biggest name because this is what he does.

Sheikh Mohammed is very much in touch with the Western World and if with the help with mainly British businessmen & architects they  are making Dubai great. Even with it being a muslim country he has lifted the ban of drinking alcohol to non-muslims (in designated areas at certain times) making it more more attracive to outsiders to invest and visit. You only have to say the word beer in some muslim coutries and you'll lose a hand.

So if it is true we couldn't have hoped for a better investor. Making money from Liverpool won't be his aim. Although don't be surprised to see the next few pre-seasons in Dubai.

Great post Bootle. Couldn't agree more.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #53: Dec 05, 2006 01:18:52 pm
      Further to the post I left yesterday about Prof Tom Cannon, seen a report last night on SSN with more comments from this whopper that really did not make any sense.

He claimed that DIC would be looking to make a profit unlike Roman and that they (meaning DIC) would not be chasing the prem or champions league like the way roman has!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My opinion here is that quite simply he is a professor of talking sh*te, we're actually already in champs league, having won the big b***ard thing 2 years ago, we are now trying to sort out the squad to make a challenge for the prem.

To compare us to when Roman arrived at chavski is a bit cheeky - they we're still f**k all before roman arrived - won a couple of minor trophies - but it had been 50 years since they had last won the league and have never won old big ears

Roman and Peter Kenyon for that matter know they need to win the european cup so they can be perceived as a great club

Whereas we still are a great club and if investment is made available for rafa to go after players to win this league then we would go BACK to OUR rightful place.

Anyway Prof Tom Cannon is still a  bitter bluenose and the only thouht going through is head when asked the question by a SSN reporter was probably Kopites are gobshites, how can I pour cold water on this idea!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #54: Dec 05, 2006 02:32:36 pm
      Let's just rule out United for one minute - they have been bought by debt.  If it all goes tits up the club could go under.

Now let's look at Liverpool and Chelsea.

Chelsea are the charlatans - a nobody side made big by one man's penchance to have a plaything. 

Liverpool are one of Europe's biggest football clubs.  We are, in one sense, 'old money' with an illustrious history, rich heritage, and for the last 50 years we have been under the control of one rich family who purchased the club and kept us as a relatively personal investment. As far as I can see - we're getting new foster parents.  Another rich family wants to be in charge.

If the deal is done it will be done with cash - I couldn't bear the thought of Liverpool's being controlled by debt like United.

Unlike Chelsea, Liverpool have one of the World's biggest fan bases, and although Chelsea fans may scoff, the club and the fans have always had a special bond that Chelsea and their rent-boy fans will never have.  In many senses, Liverpool has always belonged to the supporters - we have always been patient with managers and players - gave them the chance to shine and the board's decisions of patience and solidarity has on numerous occassions paid dividends (you only need look at Newcastle to see what happens when it doesn't work). 

What's the worst that could happen?  Either way we will have a brand new stadium paid for in cash and hopefully an injection of finance in to the club's coffers and transfer revenues. 

We are Liverpool Football Club.  Market forces affect us - but we will always be one of the biggest sides in World Football.  I hope it works out. 

In summary, we either stay as we are - controlled by one man with not much money or controlled by a board (representing principally one man) with bags of it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #55: Dec 05, 2006 02:49:02 pm
      The billionaire for whom anything is possible

Dec 5 2006

By Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

Tony Barrett finds out just who Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum is and why he wants to spend £450m to buy Liverpool FC

THERE are currently 793 billionaires in the world, according to international finance experts Forbes.

And Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum - "Sheikh Mo" to his friends - is, if you listen to those in the know, one of the best of them.

"He would probably be the shrewdest of the bunch," says Luisa Kroll, associate editor at Forbes magazine.

When you consider the "bunch" includes the likes of Microsoft founder Bill Gates and the Sultan of Brunei, that's not a bad testimonial to have on your CV.

Estimates of Maktoum's personal wealth are varied simply because so much of his money is tied up in major investments all over the globe, but Stan Lock, a stock trader for the investment management company Brewin Dolphin Securities, reckons he could "buy Liverpool with spare change".

Maktoum certainly makes his money work for him and Dubai Investment Capital, the overseas investment arm of Dubai Holdings, recently acquired the Tussauds Group for £800m and Travelodge for £675m.

His personal ambition, and the ambition of the Dubai government and the multitude of investment companies which he leads, is seemingly boundless.

"Under Sheikh Mohammed," says Khalaf Al Habtoor, a billionaire construction magnate whose firm helped build hotels, hospitals and airport facilities in Dubai, "anything is possible".

But the question is, why would he - or, at the very least, his associates - buy Liverpool Football Club?

"It is partly driven by the desire of companies like Dubai International Capital to broaden their international portfolio," says Professor Tom Cannon, the Merseyside-born Dean of London Business School.

"They are looking to build up a broad spread of investments in companies outside Dubai that are both stable and secure.

"Their ambition is huge. They have recently bought Tussauds and the London Eye and they even tried to buy a number of American ports, including Philadelphia, but that was blocked by the US Senate."

The man most closely connected with the bid to buy Liverpool is Sameer Al Ansari, a Reds fanatic who is also Chief Executive Officer of Dubai International Capital.

He has acted as the figurehead in the deal but business insiders believe the interest goes all the way back to Maktoum himself.

"Ansari is a key player in Maktoum's whole operation," says one. "He is very highly thought of, but it is highly unlikely that he would have completed a move of this scale without being given the go-ahead by Maktoum.

"You have to think of Dubai as a PLC which is ruled by a chief executive who gives orders to a board of hand-picked subordinates. They then implement policy without the need for approval from any elected body.

"Maktoum is the country's chief executive and he either owns or controls the companies that run almost everything of any significance."

Their plans for Liverpool FC are, as yet, unknown. Depending on who you speak to the proposed deal is either simply an investment or it is the starting point of an attempt to turn Liverpool FC into one of the biggest hitters in world football.

"I would be astonished if they ploughed significant amounts into squad rebuilding," says Prof Cannon. "It is more likely to be part of a portfolio building strategy."

But racehorse trainer Mick Quinn, a lifelong Liverpool fan, believes that, should he invest in the Reds, the Crown Prince of Dubai could have a similar effect on football.

"First and foremost, he is a winner," says Quinn.

" Maktoum got involved in racing in the 1970s and he took on all the big stables like Oppenheimer, Sangsters and the Aga Khan's. He surpassed them.

"He pumped a lot of money into it, he's very hands on and the success this has brought is there for everyone to see.

"Maktoum is very competitive - all he wants is to win."
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #56: Dec 05, 2006 05:41:47 pm
      In many respects I welcome the possible investors to Anfield.
      I heard something like he is going to invest £50m every transfer window.
      Clear our debts, make the possible switch to a new stadium.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #57: Dec 05, 2006 10:34:51 pm
      I don't know how I feel about this, there does seem to be a lot of smoke at the minute! I'm a traditionalist I don't like televised football, Every time we kick off of a weekend and its not 3pm on a Saturday it takes something away from the game for me. I despise Roman Abramovich for buying a team and then buying the tittle. On the other hand if we had had our best years 1965 to 1990 when the sky money was about we would be worth a billion alone! But I must admit that something about foreign ownership doesn't sit to kindly with me, and I have the up most respect for David Moores and all he's done for our club (Even if I did moon him on the way home from the FA cup final!)  :food-smiley-005:
      FamousLiverbird100
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 211 posts |
      Reply #58: Dec 05, 2006 10:54:24 pm
      I just hope this takeover does not go tits up just before it has been signed! This deal needs to go through and Moores needs to get moving, he can't help us anymore and that Dani Alves transfer proved it
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #59: Dec 05, 2006 11:09:26 pm
      I just hope this takeover does not go tits up just before it has been signed! This deal needs to go through and Moores needs to get moving, he can't help us anymore and that Dani Alves transfer proved it

How much would Alves cost? The price was said to be £12m. the present Liverpool board made more than that amount available this Summer for transfers. So if Rafa thought he was the single key to sucsess he could of had him if he wanted. Moores isn't the villan here, he has backed managers and found investment in the past. He is Scouse born and Scouse bread, and unlike any of these money men he is a fan so lets not discard the man, he may have a big part to play in the 'Pools future yet.
      FamousLiverbird100
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 211 posts |
      Reply #60: Dec 06, 2006 01:14:06 am
      I just hope it don't go tits up last minute again.. we won't get a better investor.. only 4 better investors in the world and thats rare that one of them would come running if we reject this man
      StevieGforce
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #61: Dec 06, 2006 10:48:37 am
      Just a point of interest.
      The Shiek, according to reports, has a large part to play in the sponsorship of the the emirates stadium!! And of course the sponsorship of the Arsenal shirts.
      FamousLiverbird100
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 211 posts |
      Reply #62: Dec 06, 2006 11:42:46 am
      Uefa director of communications William Gaillard is concerned that a number of super-rich football clubs may destroy the game.

Gaillard expressed his concerns in the midst of a possible takeover bid of Premiership giants Liverpool by Dubai International Capital.

The resource-rich investment group, owned by Dubai ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, are in talks with the Merseyside giants regarding significant investment in The Reds.

The proposed Liverpool deal would dwarf Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich's wealth, and would see another club with unlimited financial resources to spend on the game's top players.

With West Ham United's recent takeover by an Icelandic consortium, Uefa is worried the recent trend will create a major gap between the super-rich clubs and the rest.

With both Uefa and the European Commission now considering new rules for clubs on the continent, Gaillard underlined his fears for the game's future in the face of recent takeover developments.

"There is no doubt the immediate threat in the short term is a huge increase in the gap between the haves and the have-nots - and in the long term, inflation in wages and transfer fees and a concentration of power that could destroy the game," Gaillard told the Daily Star.

tak
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #63: Dec 06, 2006 04:42:35 pm
      i also dont know how to feel about this.........moores yes has been a great supporter but in order for us to keep up as it where we need a big money investor in this day and age .. from what i have read about him he seems the right person... this of course will be good money for top players new stadium clearing debts but then on the ther hand ... other clubs will hike up the fees of players we want to buy and we might end up as a chelski in the eyes of others......success bought by money......
      FamousLiverbird100
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 211 posts |
      Reply #64: Dec 06, 2006 05:11:53 pm
      I also dont know how to feel about this.........moores yes has been a great supporter but in order for us to keep up as it where we need a big money investor in this day and age .. from what I have read about him he seems the right person... this of course will be good money for top players new stadium clearing debts but then on the ther hand ... other clubs will hike up the fees of players we want to buy and we might end up as a chelski in the eyes of others......success bought by money......

But thats the only critisism we would get, just remember we are a club with a soul & heart and Chelsea have never had that and never will... we will keep our soul (the supporters)
      tak
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #65: Dec 06, 2006 05:32:10 pm
      But thats the only critisism we would get, just remember we are a club with a soul & heart and Chelsea have never had that and never will... we will keep our soul (the supporters)

yes this is very true..
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #66: Dec 06, 2006 06:41:02 pm
      I have just seen Skysports News and the impression I get is that this is the best news the club has had in years.

We can now compete with the Chavs and Mancs but with this new source of cash eclipse what they have invested.

It is not a case that the  bragging rights our now ours because the deal is not yet done but this does suggest that our future is now secure.

Bring on the transfer speculation....Torres,Henry!!!

Please spare us from wearing DIC on our shirts though!
      DIC??
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #67: Dec 07, 2006 01:22:38 pm
      Keep up Court ... DIC = Dubai Investment Capital

Some stories from today's Echo - Dalglish backing Moores to make the right choice and A bit on Sheikh Mo...

Trust Moores, urges Dalglish

Dec 7 2006

By John Thompson, Liverpool Echo

REDS legend Kenny Dalglish today threw his weight behind the proposed Anfield takeover by Dubai and urged supporters to trust Liverpool chairman David Moores on the issue.

Dalglish conceded many fans would be seeking reassurances with the Dubai government's investment company Dubai Investment Capital behind a possible £400m plus investment package which could soon end the tradition of local ownership.

Said Dalglish, the last manager to bring the title to Anfield in 1990: "Fans will be seeking a wee bit of comfort at the moment.

"But I believe they can rest assured that David Moores would not be selling it to anyone unless he was absolutely convinced they were the right sort of people and it was the right thing to do.

"He will be acting in the best interests of Liverpool Football Club - not himself. You can be sure of that.

"I have said before that he has been a brilliant chairman for the club and as far as I'm concerned the supporters can trust his judgement on this.

"He has supported all of the managers he has had and put his hand in his pocket to provide them with the money for players they wanted.

"But because he is quiet and doesn't seek the limelight, he doesn't get the plaudits he deserves."

DIC lawyers are currently examining Liverpool's books with a view to formalising an offer - provided no problems arise in the next few weeks.

Moores, who holds a 51% controlling interest at Anfield and has been Liverpool's chairman for the past 16 years, may stay on in an honorary role, with chief executive Rick Parry continuing in his role to ensure stability.

Dalglish added: "I think it is really important for anyone coming in that David Moores and Rick Parry would be staying there to provide that stability.

"If Rick Parry, like the chairman, thinks this is the right deal then it will be right.

"Obviously the club needs funds for a new stadium and this would provide the funds for it.

"The new owners will also know that Liverpool have a great man at the helm in Rafa Benitez.

"They will be buying a great club - one which is ready made to be taken forward smoothly."

Sheikh is not a Roman ruler

Dec 7 2006

Sports View With Echo Sports Editor John Thompson

THE comparisons this week between Roman Abramovichand Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum may have been inevitable.

But in another sense they arealso crude and misleading.

The two may have immense personal fortunes in common. But that is about all.

Abramovich was a young opportunist in Russia, his personal wealth largely accrued from the chance which the end of Communism offered to someone sharp-eyed enough to see it in an impoverished, iron curtain super power.

The wealth in Dubai, however,comes from what lies naturally beneath its desertlands, oil wealth which is being invested to build Dubai up into one of the modern wonders of the economic and tourist world.

The business planning and visionary expertise thathas gone into spending and investing Dubai's riches is a far cry from anything Abramovichcan claim.

So any portrayal of Liverpool's hoped fordeal with Dubai as a prize fight between two super rich men seeking a playground for a battle of egos is wrong.

Truth is that while Sheikh Mo, as he is affectionately known, is the ultimate power here, the man most closely involved with the Reds' negotiations is the head of Dubai International Capital, Sameer Al Ansari.

It is rumoured he has the Anfield crest permanently on his mobile phone and take it as red -he does genuinely support Liverpool.

But he also has 20 years as afinance and investment professional, vast experience with anumber of well known multi-national companies in Europe and the Middle East including BDO, Ernst &Young, and Dubai Aluminium Company.

He is also a boardmember on several companies locally and internationally including Dubai Media Inc, Dubai Holding and Dubai International Financial Centre.

He is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales and holds an Honours BSc in Accounting & Financial Management, plus a Diploma in Industrial Studies. Had enough?

In other words, he is a highly educated, talented, professional executive - not the sort to let a beating heart rule a cool head, to boast about his yachts or surely tell Rafa Benitez which striker to go out and buy.

That is why if Liverpool were ever to pass into the realm of an overseas investor,then those who hold the power and the purse strings in Dubai seem as suitable as any fan could hope to have behind their club.

Sheikh Mohammed and the people he surrounds himself with are of the highest calibre, not crude or classless in the way they conduct themselves or go about their business.

They are also winners to the core, so much so that one respected British racing pundit whohas seen their role in the Godolphin racing stable's success, has said Reds fans should rejoice at the prospect of this deal.

It has not happened yet. And while it probably will, until the ink is dry on the paper work no Kopite should burst open the bubbly and proclaim anew era at Anfield just yet.

But should the moment come, the first toast should be to Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry and chairman David Moores.

They are on the verge of pulling off what seems to be the greatest deal in the history of Liverpool Football Club, possibly of any football club.

Amid immense public pressures,they have carefully bided their time to hopefully now place Liverpool into the best hands they could hope to find anywhere in the world.
      « Last Edit: Dec 07, 2006 01:25:37 pm by Jabba »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #68: Dec 07, 2006 07:07:34 pm
      I just hope it don't go tits up last minute again.. we won't get a better investor.. only 4 better investors in the world and thats rare that one of them would come running if we reject this man

you keep going tits up !!  whats the matter with you ?  Get a new bra !!   ;D

Quick Reply