Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

** Investment News - finally the LFC TAKEOVER! (Part 1) **

Read 52462 times
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,375 posts |
      ** Investment News - finally the LFC TAKEOVER! (Part 1) **
      Nov 15, 2006 12:55:50 am
      This is our thread for all on-goiing discussion of the Liverpool FC Investment (began in November 2006)
      Update 6th February 2007: Liverpool have been bought by George Gillett and Tom Hicks for deal worth £470 million

Source: The Mail (14th November 2006)

Liverpool close in on Gillett

Liverpool have held further talks with the American tycoon George Gillett Jnr about a takeover of the club.

Chairman David Moores joined chief executive Rick Parry on last week's trip to Canada, where the reclusive businessman owns the Montreal Canadiens hockey team.

Moores was spotted in Gillett's suite during the Canadiens' victory over the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday. Liverpool declined to comment on the visit but it seems Gillett may now be ahead of Dubai Holdings in the long-running search for new investment.

The former owner of the Harlem Globetrotters has declined to comment, but sources close to him have privately confirmed that he is a serious bidder.

It remains unclear how the multimillionaire would fund a full takeover of the club, with Moores having stuck to a valuation of about £300 million during the three-year hunt for new investors.

Moores and Parry are thought to favour a cash injection for a minority stake, with backing for a new 60,000-seater stadium, but Gillett's style is to buy businesses outright.
      « Last Edit: Jan 14, 2008 09:15:34 pm by JD »
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Re: ** LFC Investment News
      Reply #1: Nov 15, 2006 01:02:56 am
      Gillett.

Probably the best the reds can get...

;)
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: Nov 15, 2006 10:58:51 am
      NO YANKS.
      I don't want this club turning into another Manchester United situation!!
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #3: Nov 15, 2006 06:09:27 pm
      NO YANKS.
      I don't want this club turning into another Manchester United situation!!

They are top of the league though.  And he hasn't seemed to have changed the club greatly....

Anyway, Gillett - sounds more French or something!  ;)
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #4: Nov 16, 2006 05:00:18 pm
      Just as long as we don't turn into another Man Utd Buccaneers...
      lfc_5_euros
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #5: Nov 16, 2006 05:33:42 pm
      totally agree just as long as he did not borrow the money like the glaziers did lmao:D
      Madzz Adzz
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts |
      Reply #6: Nov 16, 2006 06:47:47 pm
      we need investments. so ne money that comes in so we can REALY challenge chelsea match to match, wud be verry welcome. i dont want mr moor to put the club up for auction for the highest bidder. but we need cash quickly and fast.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #7: Nov 16, 2006 07:14:29 pm
      we need a new investment for this new stadium defo
      lfc kid
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts | -1 
      Reply #8: Nov 16, 2006 09:48:40 pm
      sounds good to me  :)
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #9: Nov 17, 2006 09:09:46 am
      sounds ok,

where ever we get investment from is fine by me as its not in the form of a massive loan to buy us, if he wants to give us some cash or buy outright as long as its his own moneu and he has plenty of it its all good

Bristol Scouse
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      Reply #10: Nov 17, 2006 03:06:34 pm
      we need investment, end of

If its from America, Thailand or within the UK, we need to compete finacially with Chelski if we want our title back
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #11: Nov 19, 2006 11:51:29 pm
      Latest News - source The Independent

Liverpool kicks off talks on three-way takeover battle
      By Andrew Murray-Watson - Indy
      Published: 19 November 2006

The board of Liverpool Football Club is to meet on Thursday to decide on the future ownership of the Premier League giant.

It is believed that US billionaire George Gillett, the owner of the Montreal Canadians ice hockey club, is in pole position to buy the club.

However, the board of Liverpool will also discuss rival offers from Dubai International Capital (DIC), the private equity arm of the Arab state, and John Miskelly, the Belfast-based property millionaire.

It is believed that NM Roths- child, the investment bank, is advising Mr Gillett, while JPMorgan is advising DIC.

Both banks have a history in football club takeovers. Roths- childs advised Malcolm Glazer, the US sports tycoon, on his takeover of Manchester United, while JPMorgan provided the financing for the controversial deal. PricewaterhouseCoopers is advising Liverpool.

It is believed that Mr Gillett will offer around £250m for Liverpool. He will put £150m on the table for the club's shares and also take on board its debt, which is approaching £100m. He will also provide a commitment to funding the construction of Liverpool's proposed new £200m, 60,000-seater stadium in the city's Stanley Park area.

Mr Gillett will part-fund the deal by raising a substantial amount of debt. However, he will not securitise the loans, which are expected to total tens of millions of pounds, on assets such as the club's Anfield ground and future ticket revenues.

That may not appease Liverpool fans, who will be alarmed that the club is racking up even more debt.

As well as his ice hockey franchise, Mr Gillett owns a media company and is the one of the largest producers of "chicken products" in the US. He also owns six ski resorts in the US, several golf courses, car dealerships in Colarado and a landscape and garden company. He travels by private jet and is thought to be worth well over $1bn.

Liverpool have been holding talks with potential investors for over two years. But negotiations with numerous suitors have repeatedly stalled.

It is believed that the club's chairman, David Moores, who has a 51 per cent stake in Liverpool, had placed an enterprise value on the club of £300m - a price which has proved a stumbling block to talks.

However, it now looks as if he has been persuaded to reduce his asking price.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Impending Board Room talks
      Reply #12: Nov 23, 2006 09:05:42 pm
      Whats everyones thoughts on what might be discussed, and what will be done about it??
      Obviously, takeover talk will be on the agenda as usual, the new gound and a war chest for Rafa.
      But will anything ever come off it ?
      « Last Edit: Nov 23, 2006 10:31:57 pm by koolkidda »
      Davies
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Re: tonights board room meeting
      Reply #13: Nov 23, 2006 10:10:56 pm
      I hope they will concur that we need to secure the investment or we're in danger of going backwards and key players leaving us that could set us back years. They should give rafa £25 million for january to go and get Torres, if we don't sign him in January the Manc might well do. We really need to sort the investment now and spend big on a top TOP class striker.

It's in danger of going pear shaped if we don't secure the investment, I personally think Moores knows he's going to have to sell up lock stock and Barrel and is reluctant to do so, so he's trying to see what Rafa can acheive and stalling over doing what's best for the club. He's walking on a tight rope and it needs to be done now while we have this squad together.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #14: Nov 23, 2006 10:29:37 pm
      suddenly there's visions of FERNANDO TORRES in a Red shirt. yikes! glimmers of hope, i see ya!
      lfc kid
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts | -1 
      Reply #15: Nov 23, 2006 10:34:59 pm
      I hope they will concur that we need to secure the investment or we're in danger of going backwards and key players leaving us that could set us back years. They should give rafa £25 million for january to go and get Torres, if we don't sign him in January the Manc might well do. We really need to sort the investment now and spend big on a top TOP class striker.

It's in danger of going pear shaped if we don't secure the investment, I personally think Moores knows he's going to have to sell up lock stock and Barrel and is reluctant to do so, so he's trying to see what Rafa can acheive and stalling over doing what's best for the club. He's walking on a tight rope and it needs to be done now while we have this squad together.

i agree i think we should definetly go for torres in january BUT will we have to many strikers what are we going to do with all of them we only bought kuyt and bellamy
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Re: Impending Board Room talks
      Reply #16: Nov 23, 2006 10:36:54 pm
      I agree with Davies - the main sticking point has always been Moores reluctance to lose his majority shareholding.  At the end of the day, nobody is going to invest big in the reds unless they have the controlling stake.

I see Moores still wanting a place on the board, financing for the new stadium is probably the club's most important long-term aim, but it would be great to have somebody in who was prepared to give us a real war chest.  It's just a shame we are so far behind already this season although by the end of the weekend we SHOULD be a bit closer to the pack.

There must be massive room for improvement in the financial aspects of the club for a would be investor - we are woefullying inadequate in terms of our marketing, for England's finest and one of Europe's finest we have every right to blow our trumpet a lot more than we do.  I hope it's the right investment for the right reasons.  Any investor will realise success on the pitch will help success in the bank balance.

Fernando Torres....maybe.
      Davies
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #17: Nov 23, 2006 10:50:17 pm
      i agree i think we should definetly go for torres in january BUT will we have to many strikers what are we going to do with all of them we only bought kuyt and bellamy

I know it's a tricky one, but we really need a top class striker who can do the lot, and that's not any of the lads we have at the moment, they are all very good strikers, but we need someone with that little bit extra. I don't see it as too much of a problem in all honesty, much as it pains me to say it I don't think Robbie is going to get many games at all or that Rafa really intends on using him, so effectively we only have three strikers.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #18: Nov 24, 2006 08:30:29 am
      I would love to see Torres in January, but lets be realistic here, Rafa will not have much cash to spend unless he sells big.
       Lucas Neill seems to be the only realistic buy with the money he has left. Torres would cost around £15m and who would he sell to finance such a deal ?
      At present, we are scouring the world for young superstars, in the hope that they produce the goods on the big scene, its not a bad idea if 1 or 2 flourish, but we need superstars of Gerrards calibre NOW. - but it's the cash thing that's holding us up.
      We bought Pennant instead of Alves.
      We bought Bellamy instead of Torres.
      They were the cheaper options and unfortunately it's not paid off as yet.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #19: Nov 24, 2006 09:37:51 am
      I have to admit Im dismayed by a lot of our fans assumptions about Alves and Torres. For want of a better word both players are in my opion not HARD enough for the EPL. I follow la liga with great interest especially this season with Barce not being on form, Torres for me is a striker in the same mold as Morientes but with simply more pace, Alves for me is in the same mold as Robben, a cheating slimeball who I would rather not see in a red shirt he dives and goes down far too easy for my liking and play acts like a complete arsehole then 10 seconds later is up and running about again. I think with that sort of aspect to your game you will get picked out and become quite useless once the referees in the EPL figure you out.

Personnally I dont think our problems will be solved by splashing out more cash in the Jan transfer window, the only exception for me would be Lucas Neil who is hard as nails and good cover for Steve Finnan. Our problems lye in the fact of some tactical changes, for example bringing on Crouch a lot earlier agains Boro would have seen us win the game, now I love Rafa but sometimes he is too slow to react to things in a tactical sense, now this may work on the continant with the slower pace of the game there, but it just wont cut it in the EPL where coaches have to make instant decisions sometimes not the right ones. I also quite honestly believe that luck has a lot to do with our position aswell, after watching us batter Chelsea but not take our chances due to some bad luck I think our problems lye in confidence, we need an away win for sure to really kick start our season.

In conclusion I dont think the board should even be discussing giving Rafa more money, just a good show of support without anyone not pulling the line "!hey MR WHite!" perhaps showing Rafa that the every single member of the board is behind him, will in the short term increase his confidence and thus in turn the confidence of the players.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #20: Nov 27, 2006 10:09:51 pm
      Source: Anfield Online

Liverpool to be taken over by the Belfast tycoon? 

After what seems like endless years of discussion, names being bandied round and frustration at David Moores reticence to depart from his shares, a cash injection at Anfield appears to be getting closer and closer.

Liverpool’s board are set to meet again this week, following on from last week’s meeting, to discuss investment opportunities supplied by a number of investment firms and individuals.

Talks have centred on the ability of an investor to meet David Moores valuation of the club, believed to be around £300 million, of which he owns 51%.

The American George Gillette, and the Dubai Investment Capital consortium have been linked for some while, meanwhile a group led by the former Oxford chairman Robin Herd have also been linked. The front-runner, according to media sources today, is believed to be Belfast construction tycoon John Miskelly - the man who has believed to have come closest to David Moores valuation. The group led by Robin Herd is believed to be the least attractive option to the club.

The next few weeks will be interesting - David Moores has consistently promised that any investment would need to be ‘the right investment’. Whether he will stick by that mantra or sell to the highest bidder remains to be seen. But with January fast approaching, a time that traditionally the reds have tended to keep their cheque-books in their pockets, and the stadium plans having received the official stamp of approval - the reds need their financial future secured.

what do you think?
      « Last Edit: Nov 27, 2006 10:15:28 pm by JD »
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #21: Nov 27, 2006 10:25:48 pm
      Wasn't some Jersey (Not New Jersey, the one in the Channel Islands) based company linked with a take over?
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #22: Nov 27, 2006 11:04:44 pm
      I think pretty much anybody with any money has.

Bill Gates - why isn't he interested?

Tight arse.

Quick Reply