Trending Topics

Southampton, respect where it's due.

Read 12035 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Southampton, respect where it's due.
      Reply #69: Jan 14, 2015 10:41:05 am
      Yep, they brought new nets as well.  :)

We definitely gave them too much then.
      Bier
      Reply #70: Jan 14, 2015 11:45:56 am
      They're like 5th highest spenders in the Premier League alone though no? Behind us, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U. Then there's still teams like Barcelona, Real, Atletico.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #71: Jan 14, 2015 11:55:23 am
      They're like 5th highest spenders in the Premier League alone though no? Behind us, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U. Then there's still teams like Barcelona, Real, Atletico.

They did sell players in excess of £80 million in the summer though. Made a net profit of £36 million.

Southampton's secret is that they have the best youth academy in Britain by a mile. Well oiled machine churning out player after player.

Bier
      Reply #72: Jan 14, 2015 12:05:30 pm
      They did sell players in excess of £80 million in the summer though. Made a net profit of £36 million.

Southampton's secret is that they have the best youth academy in Britain by a mile. Well oiled machine churning out player after player.

I'm aware of that, was just reacting to them being 5th highest spenders in Europe, which I assume was based just on their spending, not their income. We basically funded their success last summer. Felt we did the same a few years ago with Newcastle.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #73: Jan 14, 2015 12:57:48 pm
      I'm aware of that, was just reacting to them being 5th highest spenders in Europe, which I assume was based just on their spending, not their income. We basically funded their success last summer. Felt we did the same a few years ago with Newcastle.

Yep. Biggest mugs in the transfer market. /LFC
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #74: Jan 14, 2015 09:22:44 pm
      Wanyama limping off with dodgey hamstring. Another blow for Koeman with already stretched squad. Cant see them keep winning.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #75: Jan 20, 2015 07:45:35 pm
      Elia, another wise signing by Koeman.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #76: Jan 21, 2015 12:03:02 pm
      Elia, another wise signing by Koeman.

Isn't this guy a loan from Bremen. Crazy when you think he is doing so well here while Bremen are struggling so badly in Bundesliga
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2454 
      Reply #77: Jan 21, 2015 12:35:19 pm
      Isn't this guy a loan from Bremen. Crazy when you think he is doing so well here while Bremen are struggling so badly in Bundesliga

Koeman seems to be playing Elia more as a secondary striker which is interesting as he typically plays left wing. Looks like a decent player but will take a few games to judge if he's the real deal.
      Bier
      Reply #78: Jan 21, 2015 12:54:30 pm
      Elia plays on the left wing for Southampton, he just has some freedom to switch it up a bit, same as Tadic. Especially on the break he moves to the center, making use of his pace. I'm not surprised he's starting out well, but I will be surprised if he does well for a longer period of time. A loan is a smart deal by Koeman, as Elia has something to prove, he wants to earn a permanent move I'm sure, and he'll want to pay back Koeman. So he's going to be at his best for a while, he's always shown that talent. But he's still thick, and I'd be surprised if his old problems don't surface eventually. If not, it'll be down to some brilliant man management by Koeman.

Still though, next season will be tough for Southampton, as they would probably need to buy Bertrand, Alderweireld and Elia just to stay on par with their current squad.  And they're probably going to loose Schneiderlin and possibly some others. And with European football they'll need more depth. If Schneiderlin moves though, I think Koeman is going to get Clasie from Feyenoord to replace him.
      « Last Edit: Jan 21, 2015 01:05:42 pm by Bier »
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #79: Feb 01, 2015 01:22:58 am
      Koeman, one of my favourite players ever, could pick someone out miles away and place the ball at his feet like a genius, has worked wonders as a manager now, quite amazing. But get out of our spot in the top 4 :D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #80: Mar 25, 2015 05:52:59 pm
      Wow, Forster out for 9-12 months :o
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #81: Mar 25, 2015 06:18:38 pm

The advantage he has is he is a keeper. Being that he is a keeper, he is less likely to struggle to get back to his best when he returns where as so many outfield players are just never the same after doing their knee.

Quick Reply