Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

PSV Eindhoven (22nd Nov 2006) - Champions League

Read 6506 times
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      PSV Eindhoven (22nd Nov 2006) - Champions League
      Nov 19, 2006 06:20:08 pm
      Liverpool v PSV Eindhoven 22nd November 2006
      UEFA Champions League Group Stage Match 5

So fortunately for us our next game is:

a) at Anfield, and
      b) in the Champions League

A league we are currently playing well in and top of.  The media seem to have completely bypassed our excellent European form so far, prefering to sharpen their slimy knives over Rafa Benitez - telling him what team to pick, what kind of marking tactics to employ etc etc

All the while we have quietly been doing the job in Europe.  So it's between us and PSV for the top of the table so a win will do us well - although Barcelona could still be one of our opponents should we finish top.

I am hoping for, finally, a decent game from the reds - with some decent play and the PSV net rippling a fair few times.  Let's get behind the lads at Anfield.

YNWA

My prediction: 2-0 to the reds.  Crouch and Kuyt.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Re: PSV Eindhoven (22nd Nov 2006) - Champions League
      Reply #1: Nov 19, 2006 06:40:11 pm
      The champions league is our place were the only team who can win it come on the mighty reds lets finish top of this group
      « Last Edit: Nov 19, 2006 07:03:10 pm by JD »
      OhNo
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Reply #2: Nov 19, 2006 06:41:24 pm
      Liverpool 0 - 0 PSV

Liverpool fail to create clear cut chances apart from a Gerrard miss from 5 yards out with no one to beat. Jan Kromkamp kept Chilean winger Mark Gonzalez quiet for most of the match which saw Zenden replace him on the 73rd minute.

Stats:

Liverpool: Shots 12, On target 2, Off target 10, Corners 6, Fouls 11, Offside 7, Possesion 55%

PSV: Shots 3, On target 0, Off target 3, Corners 1, Fouls 18, Offside 0, Possesion 45%

Werder Bremen 1 - 5 Chelsea

Drogba scores another hatrick which puts Barcelona now in 2nd place of Group A. Robben caused the Bremen defence all sorts of problems and Lampard hit top form with a thundering 25 yard shot which rattled the Bremen net.

Uefa CL draws..... Man Utd v Madrid, Barcelona v Liverpool (nooooo) etc etc

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #3: Nov 19, 2006 07:00:30 pm
      Liverpool 0 - 0 PSV

Liverpool fail to create clear cut chances apart from a Gerrard miss from 5 yards out with no one to beat. Jan Kromkamp kept Chilean winger Mark Gonzalez quiet for most of the match which saw Zenden replace him on the 73rd minute.

Stats:

Liverpool: Shots 12, On target 2, Off target 10, Corners 6, Fouls 11, Offside 7, Possesion 55%

PSV: Shots 3, On target 0, Off target 3, Corners 1, Fouls 18, Offside 0, Possesion 45%

Drogba scores another hatrick which puts Barcelona now in 2nd place of Group A. Robben caused the Bremen defence all sorts of problems and Lampard hit top form with a thundering 25 yard shot which rattled the Bremen net.

Defintely FamousLiverbird, say no more !  >:(

Anyway fellow reds i'm going for a 1-0 win on Wed night and i'll be cheering them on as loud as poss, me and all the rest of the true fans. ;)
      OhNo
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Reply #4: Nov 19, 2006 07:18:41 pm
      untill i know who famousliverpool is...................... ...............

yes i am a true fan, just that i dont exept whats goin on at the club right now!

LFC... 2nd favorites to win the prem.... now 17 points behind United... that is nearly double what we are on!

Im not gonna stay positive any longer untill a complete turn around has taken place because this is a crisis for LFC and their TRUE fans like me but the ones who except the results must exept Liverpool are not good enough and i don't except that Liverpool are not good enough because they are good enough... thats why i don't except our results unlike most of you lot on here!

Im have different views and attitude to most people on here and you must except it because not everyone is the same and its not against the law to think different, if you don't like me because of that then thats your problem not mine... im not wum either
      lfc kid
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts | -1 
      Reply #5: Nov 19, 2006 07:51:58 pm
      Liverpool 0 - 0 PSV

Stats:

:o ??? :o ???
      WHAT

2-1 Liverpool (Riise 32, crouch78)

come on Liverpool lets finish top!!!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #6: Nov 19, 2006 08:15:08 pm

yes i am a true fan, just that i dont exept whats goin on at the club right now!

LFC... 2nd favorites to win the prem.... now 17 points behind United... that is nearly double what we are on!

Im not gonna stay positive any longer untill a complete turn around has taken place because this is a crisis for LFC and their TRUE fans like me but the ones who except the results must exept Liverpool are not good enough and i don't except that Liverpool are not good enough because they are good enough... thats why i don't except our results unlike most of you lot on here!

Im have different views and attitude to most people on here and you must except it because not everyone is the same and its not against the law to think different, if you don't like me because of that then thats your problem not mine... im not wum either

Firstly its FamousLiverbird, and secondly, as you say, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and i havent got a problem with you, I have a very healthy attitude to all things Red but when you start to spout of about 'crisis' i think your overreacting, have you forgotten we are still in a very good position in the CL ?   We are not even second favourites to win the league, that honour goes to the Mancs,  we are now 100/1 according to SSNews,  unfortunately we have to accept (even though we dont like it ) that its unlikely we will finish in the top two this season, but at least keep the faith, we are still in the FA Cup, the Carling Cup and as stated before the CL.  So silverware is a strong possibility again this season.  By the way, a good way to make friends on here is to stop referring to us as "you lot on here".   ::)
      OhNo
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Reply #7: Nov 19, 2006 08:17:59 pm

Firstly its FamousLiverbird, and secondly, as you say, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and i havent got a problem with you, I have a very healthy attitude to all things Red but when you start to spout of about 'crisis' i think your overreacting, have you forgotten we are still in a very good position in the CL ?   We are not even second favourites to win the league, that honour goes to the Mancs,  we are now 100/1 according to SSNews,  unfortunately we have to accept (even though we dont like it ) that its unlikely we will finish in the top two this season, but at least keep the faith, we are still in the FA Cup, the Carling Cup and as stated before the CL.  So silverware is a strong possibility again this season.  By the way, a good way to make friends on here is to stop referring to us as "you lot on here".   ::)

Ok fair enough... i say you lot because i seem to be double teamed but thanks for not biting my head off
      Bristol Scouse
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      Reply #8: Nov 19, 2006 11:51:04 pm
      I agree, its a good thing to pouint out negatives as well as positives and not be totally blind, but an awful lot of your posts do seem to be VERY negative OhNo, thats almost guaranteed to get yer head bitten off on here and pretty much every fans forum anywhere!!!

Liverpool to win 2-0.
      « Last Edit: Nov 20, 2006 12:10:35 am by JD »
      FutureRedStar
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #9: Nov 20, 2006 02:42:55 am
      I think Benitez will experiment with his team a bit and I really want to see paletta play. We have genuine chance of winning this game because it is our home!!

Even we are drawn with barca, we should not be afraid. If we are not going to beat the big teams now, we have to beat them soooner or later
      OhNo
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Jan Kromkamp has hit out at his former club Liverpool
      Reply #10: Nov 20, 2006 05:07:00 pm
      "We know how we must beat them," he stated. "The team have a lot of weak spots.

"They mostly hit the ball forward towards the tall Peter Crouch.

"They are particularly weak in central midfield and central defence.

"The manager changes his tactics if you begin to get stuck in amongst his players. And that's precisely what we want to do this coming Wednesday.

"We need to put pressure on them early on, then they will quickly revert to the long ball, which is easy for us to defend."

willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Re: Jan Kromkamp has hit out at his former club Liverpool
      Reply #11: Nov 20, 2006 05:27:08 pm
      well if we did just always lob a ball up to crouch witch we dont he was part of it so hes basically critisising his own proformance at his former club.
      princess
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #12: Nov 20, 2006 06:58:20 pm
      anyone know if Garcia is fit for this one?
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #13: Nov 20, 2006 08:53:07 pm
      lets play Fowler !!!!!
      lfc kid
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts | -1 
      Reply #14: Nov 20, 2006 09:54:27 pm

yea i would bring him with us but bring him on in the second half
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #15: Nov 20, 2006 10:02:25 pm
      Apparently a number of tickets have been returned.  If you've got a fancard you may be able to sneak a last minute ticket for this one.

The official site has the blurb.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Win two tickets for tomorrow's game
      Reply #16: Nov 21, 2006 07:05:02 pm
      The Echo are giving away two pairs of tickets for tomorrows game.

Email sport@liverpoolecho.co.uk with the answer to the following question:

How many times have Liverpool won the European Cup?

a) Three b) Four c) Five
         ??? ???

You need to put PSV Comp as the subject of the email and include a daytime or mobile telephone number.

You have to enter before 9am and the winner will be contacted before 10am.  Good luck!
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #17: Nov 21, 2006 10:40:13 pm
      Match Preview - BBC Sport

Champions League Group C: Liverpool v PSV
      Date: Wednesday 22 November
      Kick off: 1945 GMT
      Venue: Anfield
      Coverage: BBC Radio Five Live and this website

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez is set to have Spanish winger Luis Garcia back after he returned to training following a hamstring injury.

Garcia could come in for Mark Gonzalez or Jermaine Pennant on the flanks or be used just behind a striker.

Craig Bellamy is set to start up front for the Reds as he is given match time to try and improve his form.

Daniel Agger is expected to retain his place in the centre of defence ahead of Sami Hyypia.

SCOUTING REPORT ON THE OPPOSITION

Who are they? One of Dutch football's big three, along with Ajax and Feyenoord, and the team to beat at the moment having won the last two Eredivisie titles.

Recent form: They are top of the league again, have not lost for 17 matches and have not conceded a goal in 649 minutes - 10 hours and 49 minutes. In those seven matches they have scored 23 goals at the other end - roughly one every 27 minutes.

European record: The club dubbed 'The Farmers' won the Uefa Cup in 1978 and the European Cup in 1988. They won that title under Guus Hiddink, who worked wonders when he returned as coach in 2002 and guided them to the 2005 semi-final before quitting at the end of last season.

How did they get here? Hiddink bowed out of life as PSV boss with another Dutch championship which ensured a 10th consecutive Champions League campaign.

Ones to watch: Ronald Koeman, who was a PSV player when they won their only European Cup, masterminded a 2-0 win for Benfica at Anfield last season and will want more of the same this time around. Peruvian forward Jefferson Farfan has scored nine league goals and eight in total in his last 10 starts, while Ivorian Arouna Kone is also on a hot streak of form with nine in nine. At the other end, that impregnable defence features former Liverpool misfit Jan Kromkamp.

Did you know? PSV won the European Cup in 1988 despite not winning any of their final five matches in the tournament. They progressed from the quarter and semi-finals on the away goals rule and beat Benfica in the final on penalties.

They say: "It is important that we have qualified but we have to still use our brains because we want to finish top."
      Ronald Koeman, PSV Eindhoven coach

BIG MATCH STATS

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.
      Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.
      European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).
      Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Qualification

Liverpool and PSV have both secured a ticket to the next round.

Head-to-heads

Liverpool and PSV's only previous meeting was a goalless draw in Eindhoven on their opening group match of this season's Champions League. That game was one of four in this season's group stages in which nobody was booked, after each club had played four matches.

Liverpool are unbeaten at home against Dutch opposition (two wins, one draw). PSV have visited English opponents on 10 occasions, winning three, losing six and drawing one.

European history

This season is Liverpool's fifth in the Champions League and their 34th in European competition. They have been crowned champions of Europe on five occasions.

PSV won the Champions Cup in 1987-88. Last season they made it past the group phase in the Champions League for the second year in a row, after eight unsuccessful participations. This is their 11th Champions League campaign, and their 38th in European competition.

Current European form

Liverpool have won their last three Champions League matches and are unbeaten in this season's competition. They are undefeated in six matches in Europe.

PSV have also won their last three matches in this competition and are unbeaten in four CL games.

Player and disciplinary info

Jamie Carragher (45) and Jerzy Dudek (44) are the most experienced CL players in the current Liverpool squad. Luis Garcia has scored 10 CL goals, more than any other player in the Liverpool squad. Peter Crouch and Luis Garcia have both netted three times in the CL this season.

Carlos Salcido (PSV) is one caution shy of a suspension. Captain Phillip Cocu (74) and defender Michael Reiziger (73) are PSV's most experienced players in the competition.

Other miscellaneous facts

If PSV concede one goal, they will have let in 100 in the Champions League.

The Merseysiders go into this match on the back of a goalless draw at Middlesbrough in the Premiership, while PSV beat Excelsior 4-0 in the Dutch Eredivisie, and hold a three point lead over Ajax at the top of the table.
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #18: Nov 22, 2006 08:07:58 pm
      ConfirmedTeam: Reina, Finnan, Riise, Agger, Carragher, Gerrard, Alonso, Gonzalez, Pennant, Crouch, Kuyt. Subs - Dudek, Hyypia, Bellamy, Fowler, Zenden, Garcia, Paletta.

Live in Game Discussion with other fans now active
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #19: Nov 22, 2006 08:38:22 pm
      An enterprising first half.  Worried about the number of chances - we should have stuck at least one away.

Gonzalez - it wouldn't surprise me if that injury sees him out for the season.

Alonso - should be back soon - if not the weekend - next week.

Come on you reds - this game is for the winning.  Also - do you reckon Kromkamp had something to do with them getting the reds to kick towards the kop in the first half or do you think that is just a general 'well-known' opponents strategy...?
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Re: PSV Eindhoven 2-0 Post Match
      Reply #20: Nov 22, 2006 09:44:04 pm
      Great result.  Thanks to everyone who joined us in the Live Chat during the game.  I was worried it was jinxing the reds from scoring but Played 2 Won 1 Drawn 1 so it's got a good record.  We will do it again for Saturday's game.

On tonight's game....

Good professional result.  We are the only English side to have won the group but you can bet the media won't give us any credit...

Let's hope Alonso and Pennant are back soon, and that Gonzalez isn't out too long with his hamstring.  Time to test our strength in depth.  It could have been worse - it could have been Kuyt or Stevie G's hamstring .....

We might just be going to Athens.  Let's hope the United get knocked out next game.  I think we can afford to take a weakened side to Turkey.  In fact it's going to be a pretty pointless game.  Bit of a difference from the year we won the Champions League when we sneaked out the Group!
      « Last Edit: Nov 22, 2006 09:52:20 pm by Jabba »
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #21: Nov 22, 2006 09:57:12 pm
      Pretty impressive performance.
      Nice to see Stevie back with full confidence. Also to see Reina back to old form.
      Can't wait for Istanbul again, oh the memories!
      One other thing, OhNo - just come right out and say it that you are FamousLiverbird.
      What's the point in hiding it? Everyone knows it's you.
      Oh before I go, some of the crosses that we displayed didn't particulary impress. Most went right into the keepers hands - same for corners.
      Anyway ignore me babbling on, good result and good way to win the group.
      lfc kid
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts | -1 
      Reply #22: Nov 22, 2006 10:34:56 pm
      nice to see stevie get a goal
      good performance from reina he looks like his old self again
      good result well done bring on the big boys
      Rushie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 255 posts | -3 
      Reply #23: Nov 22, 2006 11:30:18 pm
      Superb result.  Professional job.  They hadn't conceded in 11 hours so we must be doing something right. 

At Anfield and in Europe we look a different side.  Even three injuries couldn't stop us.  If we get our away Premiership form right we will be alright.

Anyway, we could just do something in this Champions League.

Top of the Table!!!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #24: Nov 22, 2006 11:55:27 pm
      Superb result.  Professional job.  They hadn't conceded in 11 hours so we must be doing something right. 

At Anfield and in Europe we look a different side.  Even three injuries couldn't stop us.  If we get our away Premiership form right we will be alright.

Anyway, we could just do something in this Champions League.

top of the Table!!!

Feels like De ja vu !!  I bloody well hope so, didnt something like this happen in 2005 ?    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #25: Nov 23, 2006 12:04:23 am
      Great result.  Thanks to everyone who joined us in the Live Chat during the game.  I was worried it was jinxing the reds from scoring but Played 2 Won 1 Drawn 1 so it's got a good record.  We will do it again for Saturday's game.

Thanks for taking care of that in my absense mate.  I had a Sausage Roll at half time just for you!  Have a good birthday.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #26: Nov 23, 2006 10:03:35 am
      Hope Rafa sends the kids to Turkey, give them some experience, especially Danny Gutherie ( is that his name ?)  Was impressed with his performance in the Carling Cup.   ;D
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #27: Nov 23, 2006 11:16:50 am
      Good game, Agger played really well again and chuffed we've got him...... What did you guys think of Kuyt? Reminds me abit of Cisse (which isnt good)

Anyway top of the group so its all good! :)
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #28: Nov 23, 2006 02:11:20 pm

a) at Anfield, and

A league we are currently playing well in and top of.  The media seem to have completely bypassed our excellent European form so far, prefering to sharpen their slimy knives over Rafa Benitez - telling him what team to pick, what kind of marking tactics to employ etc etc

All the while we have quietly been doing the job in Europe.  So it's between us and PSV for the top of the table so a win will do us well - although Barcelona could still be one of our opponents should we finish top.

I am hoping for, finally, a decent game from the reds - with some decent play and the PSV net rippling a fair few times.  Let's get behind the lads at Anfield.

YNWA

Wow. How did you predict that?
      juan11021977
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #29: Nov 23, 2006 03:21:09 pm
      It wasn´t the best performance of Kuyt´but I´m still confident.
      Does anybody know something about the Gonzales injury? And Alonso? And Pennant?
      www.juanliverpoolfc.blog spot.com
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #30: Nov 23, 2006 09:57:55 pm

a) at Anfield, and

YNWA

Wow. How did you predict that?

I put a bet on the reds 2-0 first goal scorer Crouch !  Gutted when he scored 2nd !  (only gutted in betting terms mind you !!)
      Davies
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #31: Nov 23, 2006 10:25:48 pm
      I thought it was a good performance, Gerrard is slowly but surely returning to hiss best playing in the middle, Gonzalez and Pennant both played pretty damn well i thought, nice to see them putting in decent crosses and taking players on, just a shame they both went off injured, I think Gonzalez will be out for 6 to 8 weeks, I'm gutted for him because I felt he was really starting to improve.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #32: Nov 23, 2006 10:31:08 pm
      Just going back to it - all the more impressive with PSV having been undefeated in 17 matches.

I think Rafa was pleased to finally get one over Koeman from a professional point of view - especially after Benfica last season.

Benitez has come in for a lot of stick this season, most of it unjust, but he has proved he has great European pedigree.  Hopefully now all our big away games are behind us our Premiership season can begin to ignite, and match our European form.

Quick Reply