Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Gerrard out for 3 weeks

Read 12859 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Re: Gerrard out for 3 weeks
      Reply #69: Feb 17, 2009 01:30:41 am
      If Stevie is out for the Madrid game we have no chance.

That's the spirit.
      Adz
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,192 posts |
      Reply #70: Feb 17, 2009 11:03:39 am

That's what made LFC great.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #71: Feb 17, 2009 11:11:55 am
      tbh, I will be happy if he comes back for the next league game after city. don't want to rush him back fro Madrid, better being safe than sorry.

I think we will back the midfield against madrid anyway, so Im sure Xabi, lucas & masch can cope with that one.
      redtiptoe
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp
      • Started Topic

• 317 posts |
      Reply #72: Feb 17, 2009 11:23:15 am
      Not heard to much. Read in the paper that he was out in London with his mates on Valatines, quality poor Alex. Anyway he cant be laid up to bad.
      Myqqe
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #73: Feb 17, 2009 11:26:05 am
      We still have a great chance. Gerrard is a massive player for us and he means everything to us and Liverpool, but we can't underestimate our other players. If you not believe Liverpool can beat Real with or without Gerrard you are not a real Liverpool fan! We have a great squad and believe is the keyword, just like the road to Istanbul and Athen. But still Gerrard is the best player in Liverpool's history and he makes a huge difference everytime he is on the field.  
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #74: Feb 17, 2009 11:58:02 am

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is on course to appear in next week's Champions League tie with Real Madrid after returning to training.

Originally ruled out for three weeks after suffering a hamstring injury against Everton at the start of the month, Gerrard made his comeback in training on Monday.

According to the Guardian, the midfielder is 'optimistic' of meeting his scheduled recovery date at the Bernaéu next Wednesday.

Adz
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,192 posts |
      Reply #75: Feb 17, 2009 12:01:52 pm
      ^
      Great news!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #76: Feb 17, 2009 01:02:57 pm

You must be part of the "one man team" brigade are ye
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #77: Feb 17, 2009 01:07:37 pm

TBH, and i hate the Scum with all my heart so this means something, we beat Scum without Steven and they are a much better side than Madrid. No fear.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #78: Feb 17, 2009 01:10:24 pm
      If you look at the stats we have won most games when stevie has not played.

All the draws everybody has been bleating on about stevie has played in them. Yet they then blame the rest of the squad in those games, when stevie was just as bad.

Does my head in!

He is our best player along with Torres, but we have plenty other good players who actually play better sometimes without them 2 in the team.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #79: Feb 17, 2009 01:15:50 pm
      I think other players are sometimes guilty of standing back and leaving it to Stevie. When he doesnt play they step up and hence good results when he doesnt play. If they all play to their best we are definitely as good as anyone with the extra advantage of having Torres and Gerrard. Anyone would be mad not to want Stevie in the side.
      Adz
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,192 posts |
      Reply #80: Feb 17, 2009 01:25:58 pm
      That is very true johnstop. If all the lads pull their weight there is no reason why we cannot beat Madrid, also it is the Champions League when we do play some of our best football and where the players and the fans are up for the occasion giving the players that extra boost that they need sometimes.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #81: Feb 17, 2009 07:54:12 pm
      Me thinks he will be on the bench v Real. Will get last 30 mins.
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #82: Feb 17, 2009 10:27:54 pm
      It's a great news that he will be ready for Madrid trip.Even if he will be in the bench,it will be a big influence.
      kopfan
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts |
      Reply #83: Feb 17, 2009 10:36:35 pm
      I would rather he sit and watch at Madrid and only play if he is 100% fit.. we had a good run at the league title.. we cannot afford any serious injury on any key players.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #84: Feb 17, 2009 11:58:02 pm
      I hope he isn't just trying to get back for the glamour of the Bernabeu.

Benitez may need to be a bit firm with him on this.

Bigger fish to fry.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #85: Feb 18, 2009 12:04:15 am
      Should only play against Real if he is really really 100% fit.
      Don't want to risk him
      redtiptoe
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp
      • Started Topic

• 317 posts |
      Reply #86: Feb 18, 2009 10:09:20 am
      This from the Official site:

Rafa Benitez is refusing to rule Steven Gerrard out of this weekend's clash with Manchester City. 
      The skipper was expected to be missing for three weeks after tearing a hamstring against Everton on February 4 - meaning he wouldn't be in contention until next Wednesday's trip to Real Madrid.

However, Benitez today revealed that his number eight was responding well to treatment and could play some part against Mark Hughes' side on Sunday.

The boss told us: "He is improving. In these situations each day is important. He is working with the medical staff and is progressing.

"Normally he is a player who recovers quickly. He needs less time than other players.

"I was surprised because the Spanish press said he'd play some minutes this weekend and then play against Real Madrid, but the truth is we don't know yet.

"Maybe he could be on the bench against City but we don't know.

"He wants to play every single game. He knows the game against City will be very important, and also the Real Madrid one too." 

This is fantastic news.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #87: Feb 18, 2009 10:11:10 am
      Personally I don't think we need to risk him at all against Manchester City and even for the Madrid first leg, you have to be careful.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #88: Feb 18, 2009 10:26:19 am
      This from the Official site:

Rafa Benitez is refusing to rule Steven Gerrard out of this weekend's clash with Manchester City. 
      The skipper was expected to be missing for three weeks after tearing a hamstring against Everton on February 4 - meaning he wouldn't be in contention until next Wednesday's trip to Real Madrid.

However, Benitez today revealed that his number eight was responding well to treatment and could play some part against Mark Hughes' side on Sunday.

The boss told us: "He is improving. In these situations each day is important. He is working with the medical staff and is progressing.

"Normally he is a player who recovers quickly. He needs less time than other players.

"I was surprised because the Spanish press said he'd play some minutes this weekend and then play against Real Madrid, but the truth is we don't know yet.

"He wants to play every single game. He knows the game against City will be very important, and also the Real Madrid one too." 

This is fantastic news.

Could be Rafa playing mind games with city.
      redtiptoe
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp
      • Started Topic

• 317 posts |
      Reply #89: Feb 18, 2009 10:26:30 am
      Personally I don't think we need to risk him at all against Manchester City and even for the Madrid first leg, you have to be careful.

Yeah sorry mate didnt mean we should play him on sunday, just that he has made a quick recovery, think when he got injured he was going be out for 4 games.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #90: Feb 18, 2009 10:49:33 am
      Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard could make his return from a hamstring injury against Manchester City on Sunday.

The England midfielder suffered the tear in the Merseyside derby on February 4 and was initially expected to be out for three weeks - with the Champions League clash with Real Madrid thought to be his most likely target.

Now Reds manager Rafael Benitez, whose side rely on Gerrard's surging runs and goals from behind the striker, has opened the door for a potential return from the bench at the weekend.

The Spaniard said Gerrard had reacted well to treatment and was eager to get back on the pitch as soon as possible.

"He is improving. In these situations each day is important. He is working with the medical staff and is progressing.

"Normally he is a player who recovers quickly. He needs less time than other players," Benitez told www.liverpoolfc.tv.

Quite alot of sites are saying this, looks like he will definitely be playing against Madrid.

Sources:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18022009/4/gerrard-play-sunday.html

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/sports/gerrard+eyes+early+return+against+city/2961042

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/02/18/SOCCER_Liverpool.html&TEAMHD=soccer

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/14633/Gerrard_could_return_for_Manchester_City_clash.aspx
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #91: Feb 18, 2009 11:08:37 am
      I would rather see him get rest and be ready for Madrid.

But then again, i would like him to do 10 mins against city

Quick Reply