Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Liverpool boss Benitez wants transfer kitty boost from Euro run

Read 1661 times
      OhNo
      • Forum Igor Biscan
      • Started Topic

• 124 posts |
      Liverpool boss Benitez wants transfer kitty boost from Euro run
      Nov 20, 2006 11:53:44 am
      Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez admits a long Champions League run can boost his hand in the transfer market.

He said: "Finishing top should give teams a better opportunity of further progress so I won't be taking any chances with my team against PSV. You can never be sure that if you are facing a second-placed team that it will be easier, but the percentages say you have a better chance by doing so.

"There's a lot of money at stake and if you continue winning it gets bigger and bigger. That is very important to us so my team selection for this game will be the same as normal."

Liverpool chairman David Moores and chief executive Rick Parry have been made aware by Benitez in the past few days that he needs more money then he first expected if he is to end the wait for a domestic title that stretches back to 1990.

Benitez will have around £1m to spend on Blackburn's Lucas Neill in January but that is chicken-feed compared to his plans of at least a £30m transfer-market splurge next summer, the Spaniard adding: "We know there are a lot of improvements we still have to make here."
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Re: Liverpool boss Benitez wants transfer kitty boost from Euro run
      Reply #1: Nov 20, 2006 03:46:33 pm
      i hope he does splash out on players this summer
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #2: Nov 20, 2006 04:20:45 pm
      theres a board meeting this thursday believed to be mainly discussing takeover bids,the two leading candidates are a consortum from dubai and the gillettes from usa,this will provide lfc\with the necessary funds in the summer.Do we really need that many players?or just a change in additude?Possible targets include woodgate,villa(neil in jan)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #3: Nov 20, 2006 05:57:49 pm
      The board have more than supplied enough transfer funds.  I am sorry but we got 82 points last year - got rid of some garbage and 'on paper' got better players in.

So why are we doing sh*t?? Maybe the manager isn't getting the best out of the players.  We have no problems at home - none yet in Europe so it has to be either

a) tactical, or
      b) psychological.

Morientes, Bellamy, Pennant, Aurelio have all looked like indifferent signings.  £15 million spent on Bellamy and Pennant.  He has been playing Gerrard on the right and lets face it - probably still would if it wasn't for Momo's injury.  He should have spent the money on Alves instead.

He should have kept Cisse -the guy's nearly fit now and he would only have been one goal behind Bellamy! and Kuyt and Crouch would have had a decent spell as a partnership AND Robbie would have featured more. 

I'm not one for getting on players backs, and I hope Bellamy comes good - but we do have three other top strikers.  Put him in the reserves, let him find his feet in there - NOT at the expense of the first team.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #4: Nov 20, 2006 07:04:33 pm
      according to the players JD he is the best tactical manager the has ever been . is there anyway of me learning how cisse is getting on in terms of scoring when hes fit other than leaning frnch to read the website.yeaah i think we should have sighned dani alves hes somthing liverpool have been missing i think he is "the final peice of the liverpool fc jigsaw" as people go on about.liverpool used to put new sighnings in the reserves to try out how they were.they wouldent come anywere near the first team till they showed there true colurs.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,245 posts | 8576 
      Reply #5: Nov 24, 2006 04:20:51 pm
      Unfortunately the days of sticking big name signings in the reserves is long gone

Does anyone know if rafa has sorted his missus out with a watch for winning the  FA Cup - maybe thats why he needs the money!!

We probably will sign Lucas Neil, but can't see us buying anyone else in the jan window.

For a poor away form I would suggest it is more tactical than anything else, pyschological problems would affect the team in europe and at home, yet that isn't the problem, we play too much like a european team especially away from home in the league.

In europe teams give us a bit more time and space, yet in the prem most teams will close you down straight away which does affect us when some of our passing is downright shoddy
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #6: Nov 24, 2006 05:41:30 pm
      Who do we really need?the squads there we just need to sort the attitude and tactics away from home.LUCAS NEIL is on his way whether we like it or not.at least he cant break anymore legs of our boys.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #7: Nov 24, 2006 06:17:31 pm
      yeah true.

Quick Reply