Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Sponsored Skydive

Read 4390 times
      Elessar
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 32 posts |
      Sponsored Skydive
      Feb 11, 2009 02:52:18 am
      ****NONE OF THE FOLLOWING IS TO BE QUOTED OR REFERRED TO ELSEWHERE WITHOUT MY PERMISSION***
      Anyway. Saturday October 13th, 2001. My father and I were in the Priority Ticket Scheme, and went as often as we could. I wanted to go to that day's game, which was against Leeds United. However, my father couldn't go, as he was working, on-call. He was a doctor at the Cardiothoracic Centre in Liverpool. At half-time the score was 1-0 to Leeds, and there were reports that Gerard Houllier had been rushed into hospital with chest pains. Danny Murphy equalised, and soon after that, my father phoned home. I asked him if Houllier had been admitted with the chest pains, and he told me he knew nothing about that and asked to speak to my mum. He spoke to her briefly, and after she came off the phone, my mum said to me, "Your dad's about to anaesthetise Gerard Houllier!".

As we all know, Gerard recovered extremely well after an extremely complicated operation, and although thing didn't turn out well in the end for him and Liverpool, he's still alive and very healthy.

Sadly, my father is not. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in late 2006, aged 48, and died on 23rd February of this year, aged 50, after deteriorating shortly after the New Year. Soon after his diagnosis, he took me to Athens. That was my last trip away with him.

Some of you may have seen him in the Press more recently, relating to a GMC hearing. All I'll say here is that what a lot of the Press failed to cover, including, of course, The S*n, he was completely cleared of any wrongdoing, I.e. was found completely innocent. There are some papers that did cover that story, such as the Daily Post, and that can all be found online.

My sister is doing a sponsored skydive to raise money for The Prostate Cancer Charity, in his memory. Details can be found at:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=53437132201&ref=mf and
      http://www.justgiving.com/carolinemurphy10

****NONE OF THE ABOVE IS TO BE QUOTED OR REFERRED TO ELSEWHERE WITHOUT MY PERMISSION***
      (this is because I don't particularly want the Press to report my father's death, due to the way in which they covered his GMC hearing, which made him sound guilty from the very beginning, and then failed to acknowledge that he had been cleared)
      « Last Edit: Feb 11, 2009 03:12:27 am by Elessar »
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Re: Sponsored Skydive
      Reply #1: Feb 11, 2009 08:52:02 am
      Good luck to your Sister for her sky dive Elessar, hope the fund raising goes well
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #2: Feb 11, 2009 09:54:05 am
      Prostate cancer is something which affects all men to varying degrees of severity - and the older you get the more prone you are for it to become as dangerous as it can be. 

Sorry to hear about your loss and good luck to your sister's Skydive and her charity appeal.
      Elessar
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 32 posts |
      Reply #3: Feb 11, 2009 10:05:11 am
      Prostate cancer is something which affects all men to varying degrees of severity - and the older you get the more prone you are for it to become as dangerous as it can be. 

Sorry to hear about your loss and good luck to your sister's Skydive and her charity appeal.

That's true, although at the age of 80 the chances are, statistically, that you have it, but in all likelihood you'll die with it rather than of it. If you get it under 60, you tend to be in big trouble.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #4: Feb 11, 2009 10:27:19 am
      That's true, although at the age of 80 the chances are, statistically, that you have it, but in all likelihood you'll die with it rather than of it. If you get it under 60, you tend to be in big trouble.

Both my Father and his twin had it within a couple of years of each other thankfully both seem to have come through the other side ok
      MsGerrard
      Reply #5: Feb 11, 2009 11:22:18 am
      Good Luck Elessar to your Sister with her Skydive, hope it all goes well.

My Father had prostrate cancer a few years ago............his way of dealing with it was to build a Summerhouse  :) he amazed me how he coped with it all.

Like Venison's Father, mine has also come out the other side.

I feel for you losing your Dad at such a young age.

Take care Elessar.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Feb 11, 2009 11:29:27 am
      So sorry to hear the news Elessar, fighting this cause is a very noble act indeed. Good luck to you, your family and your sister with her skydive.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: Feb 11, 2009 11:36:04 am
      Sorry to hear your news Elessar...Good Luck to your sister with her skydive, mate.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #8: Feb 11, 2009 12:26:55 pm
      Good luck Elessar , hope everything turns out ok.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #9: Feb 11, 2009 05:02:59 pm
      Sorry to hear about your loss. Good luck to your sis, Elessar. Your dad will be proud mate.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #10: Feb 16, 2009 08:25:39 pm
      My deepest sympathy to to you and your family for what I know must be a difficult time. As for your fund raising endeavors, well I wish you all the luck in the world, and will be contributing right now.
      YNWA

Quick Reply