Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Windows 7

Read 3494 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Windows 7
      Feb 12, 2009 12:01:56 pm
      The 'all new' operating system by Microsoft.

Basically.  It's just Vista, but a less memory consuming version.  TBH, why didn't they just do this in the first place before actually releasing Vista?

I've just bought a brand new PC for £400, and being a new Vista user with 2GB DDR2 RAM.  Vista normally consumes 600 - 700MB on its own!  So that leaves me with about 1.3 - 1.4GB to play with.

You can download the BETA version of Windows 7, on Microsofts website.  But has anyone given it a go, and is it worth it?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Re: Windows 7
      Reply #1: Feb 12, 2009 03:36:00 pm
      Vista's a shocker.  XP was far better.

I've not downloaded it.  Nothing works properly with Vista - Graphics Cards, TV Cards etc so I'm not going to take a punt on Windows 7.

If I could wake up tomorrow and my PC had XP on it I would be a far happier chappy. (Can't be arsed with the aggro of doing it myself).
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #2: Feb 13, 2009 08:21:58 pm
      Apparently Windows 7 is Vista service pack two. I have run vista as a straight installation on a new machine and as an upgrade on another. Once service pack 1 was installed it worked much better anyway. Be nice to have more memory available but will be pissed f i have to pay thru the nose to get W7
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #3: Feb 13, 2009 09:34:39 pm
      Beta version is no longer available - was looking forward to that aswell!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #4: Feb 14, 2009 01:38:17 pm
      Excuse my ignorance, but I have seen "Beta versions" talked about, but what are they?
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #5: Feb 15, 2009 01:56:33 pm
      It's the finaltest release before they let it out for general and mass use.

Quite a lot of the time Beta versions are fine and with a lot of released software its usually what will be released to the public.

Then its a service pack or two later that it finally beds in.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 822 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #6: Dec 13, 2009 01:35:00 am
      I am using the 7000 beta build as main OS on laptop and had several problems to begin with but in time they were fixed.

Apart from minor problems, i am loving windows 7.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #7: Jan 01, 2010 08:46:00 pm
      I've got Windows 7 now. Alright so far. Haven't delved into it though.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #8: Jan 02, 2010 07:46:07 pm
      7 is so much better than Vista. Less resources,memory. They changed the UAC around. Security is better. Stronger Firewall and Wireless. Things just run better on 7. Its what Vista was supposed to be.  They got rid of Windows Mail, Windows Photo editing Suite.  Less clutter better performance. The Network suite is better too. Very easy to hookup your wireless and printer,scanner.   Media Center is better, Great for DVD and Live TV.  Just a better all around system.

I never really had a problem with Vista, it had some annoying quirks and hogged memory, but from a user standpoint it seemed OK.  The main issues with Vista were network problems. It was very unfriendly to use for Networks. Had a lot on conflict issues with other hardware and software.
      Andrei
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 149 posts |
      • I'll think about something.
      Reply #9: Jan 02, 2010 10:10:54 pm
      Glad to see Windows 7 fans around here! I'm a mad Apple lover tbh but I have used Windows 7 on a notebook and I just love it!
      It's pretty difficult saying that cosidering the differences between the two OSs but yeah, I think Win7 represents a huge improvement for Mr. Gates :P -- faster, easier, safer.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #10: Jan 04, 2010 09:59:25 am
      Just got a second hand Laptop with Vista, I have been told that Windows 7 will run fine on it. Is it worth pursuing?

And if so which version, upgrade, or full?
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #11: Jan 05, 2010 12:05:47 am
      Just got a second hand Laptop with Vista, I have been told that Windows 7 will run fine on it. Is it worth pursuing?

And if so which version, upgrade, or full?
      I'm not sure what the minimum specs are for 7.  You should have minimum 2 Gb Ram, Core 2 duo 2.0 or compatible, 200 Gb HD. If its already running Vista, it should be OK.  I do know that they have had problems with an XP to 7 upgrade. Apparantly XP is missing some core drivers to do a 7 upgrade. So, I've heard.

It really depends on the Laptop, how old it is.  I currently have a 1 1/2 year old Laptop w/ Vista.  I can put 7 on it and it will run fine, but I want to wait at least 8-12 months from release before Installing 7. Just in case their are some bugs or security holes. But thats me. Plus, Vista works great for me. I dont use my Laptop for networking or tech repair, so I dont have Issues.

If you want 7. I would go full Install. If its a used laptop and you got it from someone else, wipe the drive, do a clean, fresh install of 7.  If you already have used it for a while, have tons of files and programs on it then an upgrade may be best for you. You can still do a full Install. Save all your files to a external or Online storage, then wipe the drive and do a clean Install.

You can go to Windows. They have a 7, upgrade advisor. Which lets you know if 7 is compatible and best for your system. Check the link below for that program.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1B544E90-7659-4BD9-9E51-2497C146AF15&displaylang=en
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #12: Jan 05, 2010 09:17:02 am
      Cheers for that. :D
      Danny2304
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 663 posts |
      • Stairway to heaven
      Reply #13: Jan 05, 2010 09:45:42 am
      Windows 7 is 10x better than vista imo.

Runs smoother, quicker and looks a bit better. I have got Windows 7 ultimate ;D Bootable ISO's ftw =D

Quick Reply