Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Would Shankly Survive In Todays Game?

Read 4018 times
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Would Shankly Survive In Todays Game?
      Feb 19, 2009 02:20:54 pm
      The reason I ask is it seams as though unless you win something every year your job is at risk. Shankly went from 1966 to 1972 without a trophy ,would he still be manager in today's climate?. Rafa is getting stick and has not won a trophy since 2006. If the answer is yes Shanks would be OK then why is Rafa under so much pressure. I know for sure under Shanks that no player would ever dare to go and complain to the press about not playing because he would probably be exported at the first possible chance. We need a bit more of that Team spirit in the squad it should be a case of you are either with us or against us ,that is certainly how Shanks saw it and he as far as I can remember was revered by the players and coaching staff alike.
      « Last Edit: Feb 24, 2009 04:21:22 pm by Court LFC »
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Re: Would Shankly survive in todays game.
      Reply #1: Feb 19, 2009 02:30:42 pm
      The way i look at it is Liverpool wouldn't be what it is now without Shankly. Shankly brought in players, and inspired everybody within the club. Would Bob Paisley have been that successful if Bill Shankly wouldn't have been there to bring in players and create a winning team. If Shankly would have been managing in today's games, no I don't think he would of survived (the yanks would have had him sacked).
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #2: Feb 19, 2009 02:37:37 pm
      Shanks wouldn't of survived in today because of the way football is now. One of Shanks' biggest pet hates about football was agents, now even referees have agents. Also Shanks wanted players who wanted to play for the fans, not players who wanted to play for themselves.

As for his managerial ability I think he would survive because I think he was such a forward thinking manager. He was always ahead of his time and would be the same if he was today.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #3: Feb 19, 2009 03:13:05 pm
      The reason I ask is it seams as though unless you win something every year your job is at risk. Shakily went from 1966 to 1972 without a trophy ,would he still be manager in today's climate?. Rafa is getting stick and has not won a trophy since 2006. If the answer is yes Shanks would be OK then why is Rafa under so much pressure. I know for sure under Shanks that no player would ever dare to go and complain to the press about not playing because he would probably be exported at the first possible chance. We need a bit more of that Team spirit in the squad it should be a case of you are either with us or against us ,that is certainly how Shanks saw it and he as far as I can remember was revered by the players and coaching staff alike.
      That's a good point and when you look at today's style of management it does seem to have become less severe in the discipline context,but the players have become more vocal,I remember the Shankly era and players mouthing off about too much bench time and even openly criticising the manager was definitely a no no.The slightest indication of such conduct was met with a swift and merciless reaction but there was very rarely a situation of that nature.If you look at the Prem. now there are probably three managers who come close to that mould- Ferguson,Wenger and Benitez and of the three I would say that whisky nose is the closest he doesn't take no sh*t off his crew and does go to extremes - remember the story about him hurling a missile at Beckham his rants and kick offs are infamous,I'm not saying that he's similar to Shankly because of this but he is your old school ,Wenger and Rafa are both disciplinarians and do not take kindly to criticism especially from staff or players and as we have seen will take the appropriate steps without hesitation.So I would say that Shankly with his instinct  for the game and his tactical awareness could more than survive the modern game - genius never goes out of fashion.
      « Last Edit: Feb 19, 2009 03:51:09 pm by stuey »
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #4: Feb 19, 2009 03:18:31 pm
      He would have survived and thrived no matter what anyone says. He had the leadership charisma and drive to be able to succeed and the modern day press would have loved him more than Mouriniho because of his talent for outspoken retoric. His mind games would have pushed his players to the max and would have made even the most cool of managers quake in their souls. The game sadly lacks wonderul charasmatic indivduals as Shankly, a great man of our time who gave everything to the game and to Liverpool, one of the very few human beings on this planet who I would not have begrudged immortality.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #5: Feb 19, 2009 03:31:45 pm
      I think given the same level of support from the "Board ,Players and Fans" he would have been successful. I think some "supporters" think they have a right to follow a successful team and some players think they have a right to play and both think they have a right to criticise. When did you last hear anyone complain at UTD, if they do they are out. I think there is too much negativity regarding Rafa and some players and this is something that is fairly new to me. I cant remember anyone asking for Shank's head after a couple of trophyless seasons, I cant remember supporters picking on one player in particular (especially a young player) and I cant remember players whining about not playing if you got in the side you made sure you stayed in. Rotation has nothing to do with it you make the manager pick you. I didn't have a choice in supporting Liverpool it was a given(cant think of any bitters in our family) and they deserve my full support because of the wonderful memories they have given me. Can we all get behind the manager and his players for the next couple of months ? I can see the Lucas haters already waiting for him to be picked on Sunday just so they can have a go. For me that's not support and we need to be 100% positive if we are going to win the league. Then Rafa may well get some credit for all his hard work.
      ColdEyes
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 308 posts |
      Reply #6: Feb 19, 2009 03:53:33 pm
      Supporters sure have changed, since Shankly times.  They are always wanting results immediately. But a football club is about planning, you have to control your club in order to make it always competitive, and that's what Shankly did. To build a squad that will be competitive every season, not just one big team that will last a year or so, grab some trophies, and then deal with money issues for a bunch of years. Shankly could or could not survive today, that would depend on the staff in charge of the club, and how the supporters would back his decisions.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #7: Feb 19, 2009 04:20:25 pm
      trying to compare the situation with Rafa against Shanks is not easy, there are so many differences. Shankly picked the club up from the depths of the 2nd division with a crumbling stadium and dwindling support and transformed it into the most powerful club of his era.

no matter how big a Rafa fan you are you must clearly be able to see that his achievements so far come nowhere near to what Shankly achieved.

So, to answer the topic question, Shankly would definitely thrive in the modern era in a footballing sense but I doubt he would last long at any one club because he would be likely at war with the money men all the time. then again, if he were around now he would obviously have grown up with the current scenario so maybe he would be OK but he would not be the same as he was.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #8: Feb 19, 2009 04:25:58 pm
      The point is Shankly achieved nothing for 6 years . He did however during that period build the core of the side that would go on to dominate for many years and he was allowed to do so with the support of the fans and the board.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #9: Feb 19, 2009 07:13:13 pm
      I suppose it depends on the club to a certain extent? Would he survive at Chelsea? No, a world cup winning manager couldn't last a season. Would he survive at Stoke? Yes, they know these things take time and are willing to give Tony Pullis their backing.

But i think the question you are asking is, would he survive at Liverpool in todays game? With Hicks and Gillet? No. He wouldn't stand a chance. If the club had owners with a knowledge of football, then he would flourish.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #10: Feb 19, 2009 07:44:43 pm
      I think on reflection given the demands of instant and continued success, a board who do everything to undermine the manager and some of the players whinging Rafa has demonstrated a level of competence and dignity that Shankly himself would be proud of. We have the manager and most of the players we are close to being a very very good team.Al that is left is to get Hicks and Gillette out followed by Parry and Moores. I dont want a new stadium putting us in debt to the tune of   
      £ 4-£500mil finish this squad of with 3 or 4 players of real quality and the rest will follow. Rafa may not have brought us out of the old 2nd division but he did win the Champions league with a side that contained Traeore Biscan Baros etc. I see in Rafa similar qualities to the old Liverpool ways he is a worthy succesor to the Boot Room boys and I think Shankly Paisley and Fagan would give him their full backing as does Kenny now,
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #11: Feb 19, 2009 08:03:24 pm
      Would Shankly survive in todays game- yes he most definately would. Would he survive at Liverpool- most definately no.There is abolutely no way Shanks would have put up with the sh*t rained down on Rafa from above. He would have decked Parry the first time he interfered with a transfer deal.As for Hicks & Gillette, he would have seen through them on first meeting them and resigned.
      el nino9
      • Forum John Barnes

• 417 posts |
      Reply #12: Feb 19, 2009 08:09:05 pm
      Shanks wouldn't have bought Keano, he would have bought a rugged striker with a big physical presence who could partner Torre. When Torres was injured this striker he would have bought would have still got us vital goals.

We rely on Torres a lot, Keano flopped we could have turned draws into wins.

Shanks would have also made sure this striker could put the ball in the back of the net with his head. Torres has done it a few times, but some games we have nearly 10 corners and we don't manage to put it away.

Oh and sorry, Shanks would have survived I think.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #13: Feb 19, 2009 08:31:10 pm
      He would have decked Parry the first time he interfered with a transfer deal.

:lmao: If you imagine that scenario, it really is quite funny.

I wasn't around in the Shankly era so I can't really be a good judge about it.

But I can imagine that he'd still be 'the boss' on football matters. There's no doubt about it that he was a man who could make many players have belief and be focused to be winners. And he believed in football being the simple game that is should be - pass and move. So he would have drummed that into his players.

I'm very confident that he'd excel in todays game.

But as far as the off field politics are concerned, I don't think he'd be happy with the way things are these days. He believed in honesty and graft. And you just feel there's too much money and greed to get in the way of all that these days. Especially at our club.

I think he'd probably prefer to manage a Sunday league team these days in all honesty....
      el nino9
      • Forum John Barnes

• 417 posts |
      Reply #14: Feb 19, 2009 08:33:37 pm
      I think he'd probably prefer to manage a Sunday league team these days in all honesty....

Don't be daft, there is no way he'd go and manage the likes of Everton
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #15: Feb 19, 2009 08:34:46 pm
      Don't be daft, there is no way he'd go and manage the likes of Everton

:lmao:

That's an insult to Sunday league teams right there!!  ;)
      el nino9
      • Forum John Barnes

• 417 posts |
      Reply #16: Feb 19, 2009 08:36:51 pm
      Sorry Sunday league teams, we ain't gonna throw socks on your pitches although there is a need for extra kit with this credit crunch business
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Reply #17: Feb 19, 2009 08:55:20 pm
      The only reason he would not survive is he wouldn,t take sh*t off the board thats why it took lfc eight years to get him in the first place indeed one of his quotes( directors are there to sign the cheques and thats the only reason), also today would he even have been a manager because he hated coaching badges as he once said they are fcking useless bits of paper ,also he won 16 trophys in 15 years now in anyones language thats pretty good going..
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #18: Feb 20, 2009 07:24:52 am
      I do not think you can compare the directors and board that Bill Shankly worked under to the rubbish that RAFA has had to contend with these days.If Gillette,Hicks and Parry had been Shanks bosses in the 1960s then this club would not have had the success it has had  and Bill Shankly would not of put up with them.Thanks has to go to club president T.V.Williams,directors and Peter Robinson the club secretary for giving Shanks the freedom to manage the .club .It is a great pity those people are not around to advise and support RAFA today.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Reply #19: Feb 20, 2009 11:02:57 am
      I was not trying to compare the boards of course they work in different era,s the only comparison is this when lfc first approached  Shanks he turned us down for exactly the same reasons that Rafa is having difficulties with now ,and it took the board eight years to back down then and give him his way .
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Feb 20, 2009 11:47:29 am
      Shanks wouldn't of survived in today because of the way football is now. One of Shanks' biggest pet hates about football was agents, now even referees have agents. Also Shanks wanted players who wanted to play for the fans, not players who wanted to play for themselves.

As for his managerial ability I think he would survive because I think he was such a forward thinking manager. He was always ahead of his time and would be the same if he was today.

Exactly what i would have said from my understanding of the man.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #21: Feb 20, 2009 06:05:20 pm
      I am a bit lost to his trophy count I had him down as  having won 1 2nd div, 3 league  2 fa cups and 1 eufa cup plus the odd Charity shield
      The only reason he would not survive is he wouldn,t take sh*t off the board thats why it took lfc eight years to get him in the first place indeed one of his quotes( directors are there to sign the cheques and thats the only reason), also today would he even have been a manager because he hated coaching badges as he once said they are fcking useless bits of paper ,also he won 16 trophys in 15 years now in anyones language thats pretty good going..
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #22: Feb 20, 2009 06:35:03 pm
      I think it is more of a question of Would HE stick around.  I think he wouldn't take crap from H&G or Parry.  He was full of confidence and had his priorities mapped out to perfection, anyone who wasn't on board with him was either expendable, or correctable, I believe he would tell todays game to go eff itself and would rather manage a team from the championship where he creates the clubs personality. 

In short, they wouldn't have the chance to fire him because a man like Shanks can spot Money grubbers a mile away.  He would have removed himself or never gotten involved.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #23: Feb 20, 2009 08:16:20 pm
      He didnt want to leave Liverpool he asked for a place on the board but they refused so its not new to have idiots at board level. Paisley threatend to resign when a board member made a public comment about one of his players so perhaps you can see where Rafa is coming from no board interference in team affairs please.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #24: Feb 20, 2009 09:26:11 pm
      He didnt want to leave Liverpool he asked for a place on the board but they refused so its not new to have idiots at board level. Paisley threatend to resign when a board member made a public comment about one of his players so perhaps you can see where Rafa is coming from no board interference in team affairs please.
      Good shout johnstop, I bet one of the first things Rafa did when he came to the club was to understand the reasons for our successes in the Shankly/Paisley eras ( world class managers/best supporters and committed players).With regard to board members, its all a matter of degrees really, the sh*te lot we are lumbered with today are far worse than anything we've witnessed, certainly in my 40 odd year support of this club.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #25: Feb 21, 2009 06:59:16 pm
      Shankly's famous holy trinity was Players ,Manager and Fans no where did he mention directors C.e.o's or chairman. I was born in December 1959 the same time Shankly arrived at Anfield he was a visionary and a man with self belief. He would have stood by Rafa's side in his quest to get the board of his back and God only knows what he would have said to the UNHOLY TRINITY of Hicks Gillette and Parry. I will never tire of saying that Rafa is a worthy successor and our best hope of fullfilling all our dreams.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #26: Feb 21, 2009 07:49:56 pm
      Simple answer from my point of view would be that Shankly was a genius and a genius will always find space for himself in history, no matter which error you put him in.
      NandoTheLegend
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts |
      Reply #27: Feb 22, 2009 05:03:38 am
      He would survive.

Quick Reply