Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool v. Man City Match Thread

Read 40993 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Re: Liverpool v. Man City Match Thread
      Reply #621: Feb 23, 2009 02:38:20 am
      Just can't believe this result. I was working so could only listen on 5 live. It sounded like we were a pub team. Just clueless according to the comentary. Haveing watched match of the day, even though it's edited highlights, I don't think we looked as bad as it sounded on 5 live. A bit unlucky with the deflected goal and Given made two outstanding saves as well.  Sounded like Lucas was giving the ball away a lot, and Dossena failed to get any telling crosses in, apart from that, Lawrenson and co. just slaughtered us. Totaly unprofesional and they sounded like they were enjoying it as well. Wankers.  Looks like we'll struggle to win the prem now. Real are finding a bit of form as well, so we will do well to get a result over there playing like we are at the moment. I suspect we need reinforcments in the summer and make a fresh challenge on all fronts next season. Thats if Rafa's still with us. I fear if the yanks aren't sorted out by then, he will be gone and half the squad with him.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #622: Feb 23, 2009 04:47:50 am
      It wasnt a bad display.We played qute quite well & created hell lot of chances,it was the same old problem haunting us again.We just dont have enough goal scorers in the squad.Riera & Benayoun missed some sitters yesterday.Lucas as usual was his worthless self & not having two players who have played so well for us recently in Insua & Aurelio we probably knocked ourselves out of the title race.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #623: Feb 23, 2009 07:58:20 am
      pretty much the same story of almost all our draws; we controlled the game, created hell lot of a chances, but in the end, failed to capitalize. riera really should have done better with his first half chance.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #624: Feb 23, 2009 08:39:14 am
      I was disappointed with Babel. Looked as though he wanted to be the hero and kept dribbling in front the box and lost it when he could have put it to Aurelio to cross into the box as many of the players were there trying to get a winner.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #625: Feb 23, 2009 09:09:37 am
       Very disappointed so I will just say no comment.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #626: Feb 23, 2009 09:09:56 am
      I'm absolutely gutted about our draw today. We had to continually win to put pressure on the scum but we fell way short.
      I think some posts have been far too lenient about our performance. Overall we were insipid and lacked cutting edge in the final third of the pitch.

Many of the players lacked desire and we played a lot of reactive soccer. We bossed the first half completely and with that sort of possession you simply must score if you are a true title contender.

Dossena should never be allowed to put on a Reds top again as he is clearly out of his depth and looks completely lost out there. We have to sell him as he is not LFC material. Lucas is a bloody light weight who gave the ball away needlessly many times. I've lost all my patience with him. He is not good enough and we won't win much with him starting regularly.

We looked so lost for ideas without our two midfield maestros as many of our wide attacking forays were down dead-ends.
      There wasn't enough support given to the forwards as there was huge space between the midfielders and forwards.

Our first touch many times was woeful which put us under a lot of pressure, and the body language of many of the players was that of fear, of making mistakes or of taking chances.
      Many times when a killer final pass could be given, we often passed the ball back, very defensively. Our general mindset seems to be of caution and of a defensive nature. It is so frustrating to watch.

We simply don't have the strength in depth in our squad and must strengthen in the Summer.

I'll never give up, but that result has surely knocked the stuffing out of many supporters. :embarassed: :stress_h4h:
      « Last Edit: Feb 23, 2009 09:52:32 am by RedStorm »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #627: Feb 23, 2009 09:19:28 am
      We don't have a midfielder that will make surging runs into the box other than Stevie.
      Look at Stephen Ireland yesterday, he made that 50 yard pass to Robinho and still went into the box and collected the ball from Robinho and had 2 shots - which he didn't score :)

But , just look at the support he made. Our other players don't do that enough.
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #628: Feb 23, 2009 10:01:41 am
      The way Liverpool played was shocking,So much possession and we couldnt even take a win.Without Gerrard there Liverpool look like an average team,not a team contending for the title.No player had the desire to win.It was shocking....The title seems to be out of our grasp.
      Deller
      • Forum Ian St John

• 444 posts |
      Reply #629: Feb 23, 2009 10:56:21 am
      Got back very late from the match last night and was still way too wound up to comment.  The fact of the matter is we simply looked like a top half team.....NOT top 2.

There was no creativeness in the middle of the park and to be honest I'm still rather baffled as to how on earth Dossena got the nod over Aurellio. Man City travelled back from Europe thursday night and yet we've had a two week break, we should have been fresher and hungrier but it simply didn't look that way. It wasn't until the last 15 mins we actually looked like doing anything, why can't we exert that kind of pressure earlier in the game and for longer periods.

I'm not going to slate Lucas because I don't think he had that bad a game but he does seem too lightweight for the Prem.
      Babel wasn't given long enough to make any sort of impact and because he hadf such little time I felt he overdid his movement, passing and everything about his game, he gave the ball away to much or ran into a brick wall.

Don't know what's going on with the Agger situation, seems to me as though Rafa might not even want the lad anymore, the whole thing seems way too similar to the Keane situation.  I felt yesterdays game was a perfect opportunity to maybe stick Agger in the middle of the park.
      Some of Rafa's decisions and tactics are really starting to wind me up.  He's obviously in no hurry to sort out this contract saga so he should just forget about it for now and start concentrating on whats going on on the field, perhaps then he will start picking a team that will do something.

Lets be honest, without Gerrard and Alonso there was no creativity from our side and Torres looked lost without them.  We are lacking one more world class star, someone who can weigh in with 20 goals.....and that really showed yesterday!!
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #630: Feb 23, 2009 11:20:43 am
      I think we are missing more than one star its probably 4 or 5. If Gerrard or Alonso is out its Lucas if Torres is out its Kuyt  the gulf in class is huge we need at least 4 more players as good as Alonso we couldn't afford Gerrard or Torres now. The whole situation is disgraceful to me and involving the media all the time is wrong.We are not a good "club" at the moment and it reflects right through to the fans groaning at Lucas when he makes a bad pass. If we win anything this year it will be a miracle and lets just hope off the field activities can be sorted out in the summer so we can start again.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #631: Feb 23, 2009 12:22:47 pm
      I was disappointed with Babel. Looked as though he wanted to be the hero and kept dribbling in front the box and lost it when he could have put it to Aurelio to cross into the box as many of the players were there trying to get a winner.

Laughable to say the least.He only had 8 minutess!!Give the lad a break.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #632: Feb 23, 2009 12:32:34 pm

Laughable to say the least.He only had 8 minutess!!Give the lad a break.

Fair enough he only had a short time.. but this is not the first time. 8 minutes, i don't think you should be trying on to go and be the hero yourself!
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #633: Feb 23, 2009 12:41:48 pm
      Another woeful home performance by the Reds,we did not start attacking until the last 10 minutes.Rafa and Liverpool are not going to win the Premership now - Simply we are far too defensive and cautious.We have vitrually handed it to the scum with all these draws.
      mmdalglish
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -2 
      Reply #634: Feb 23, 2009 12:46:20 pm
      the fact is . we struggled against a poor city team is we are a 1 man team and keep relying on gerrard to get us out of it
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #635: Feb 23, 2009 01:11:30 pm
      Kinda just shows that we can't win without Stevie in big games, doesn't it?

We can't be relying on our captain to get us out of trouble all the time.
      RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #636: Feb 23, 2009 01:32:58 pm
      I don't think we necessarily needed Stevie on the pitch yesterday to win that game. More to do with fact that we needed to be less cautious as City are not a team IMO. 6 home draws in the league is not "bad luck".

Quick Reply