Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

RAFA: SAMI WAS MY FIRST THOUGHT FOR MIDFIELD

Read 1892 times
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      RAFA: SAMI WAS MY FIRST THOUGHT FOR MIDFIELD
      Nov 29, 2006 12:37:37 pm
       :o

Rafael Benitez has revealed that Sami Hyypia was his initial favourite to play alongside Steven Gerrard in the heart of the Liverpool midfield tonight. 
      With Bolo Zenden joining Momo Sissoko and Xabi Alonso in the treatment room, Benitez is analysing his options in midfield ahead of this evening's clash with Portsmouth.

Jamie Carragher and Daniel Agger have also been mentioned as possibilities by the manager, but he admits his first thought was to use Hyypia as the holding midfielder.

"The first name that came into my head to replace Bolo was Sami, honestly," he said.

"People have been saying that Daniel's emergence might mean the end for Sami, but maybe Sami can play as a holding midfielder. I need to check whether he has the tactical movement and awareness you need playing there, but it's not difficult.

"You just need to be clever. What do you need to do? In Argentina, it's their number 5, a holding midfielder who's a centre back playing a bit higher. I've spoken to him two or three weeks ago about that. Now I just need to think about which option to take." 

Pretty mad!!!

thought's on this if it happens?
      lfc kid
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts | -1 
      Re: RAFA: SAMI WAS MY FIRST THOUGHT FOR MIDFIELD
      Reply #1: Nov 29, 2006 03:10:15 pm
      i would rather see guthrie or agger in that position but rafa knows best

in rafa we trust
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: Nov 29, 2006 03:47:26 pm
      Certainly, in Rafa we trust.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #3: Nov 29, 2006 04:07:08 pm
      its got to be carra,he started there.it will give gerro licence if he knows carras behind him.if sami doing it,i can see problems,hes just not mobile enough.
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #4: Nov 29, 2006 06:20:49 pm
      its got to be carra,he started there.it will give gerro licence if he knows carras behind him.if sami doing it,i can see problems,hes just not mobile enough.

Yep - Carragher has played there at international level.  Sami in the middle just doesn't seem right.  I think it would be a good opportunity to play some of those pushing for a place in the side anyway - they get their chance in the Carling Cup and some have impressed.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #5: Nov 29, 2006 06:36:09 pm
      dont care who it is aslong as we win

Quick Reply