Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 8th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Greatest All Time Player for Liverpool

Read 25789 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,199 posts | 3390 
      Re: Greatest All Time Player for Liverpool
      Reply #138: Nov 05, 2010 11:37:01 pm
      I've said it previously, from a selfish point of view our greatest player will always be Robbie Fowler for me. But, removing the fact he's from Tocky, was me first idol and he wound the F**k up out Everton and United, I'll try and look at it somewhat fairer and still come to the conclusion that nobody is better than God for me.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #139: Nov 06, 2010 12:42:29 am
      Love this thread, it's like a breath of fresh air reading through all these great posts.

Agreed. Honest posts, you can't beat them.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #140: Nov 06, 2010 01:00:55 am
      has anyone seen billy liddels boots how he got all those goals with those. and people still talk about him today thats a legend.
      The football boots in those days actually covered the ankles and had steel toecaps in them,mind you with the old leather caseys you needed them.The studs that were in use were nailed into the sole of the boot and would often fall out.That makes my choice of Billy Liddell the easier because he was outstanding even playing in lousy gear. Cheers.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,516 posts | 2873 
      Reply #141: Nov 06, 2010 01:22:43 am
      1. Dalglish and Gerrard
      3. Rush
      4. Barnes
      5. Souey
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,199 posts | 3390 
      Reply #142: Nov 06, 2010 01:30:16 am
      I always feel sorry for the keepers in these sort of questions because very rarely do they get mentioned. And we've had some of the game's greatest keepers over the years, including the one we have today.

So I'm gonna give a special mention to the keepers we've had, who could easily be called our greatest player. Without Elisha Scott, Tommy Lawrence, Ray Clemence, Bruce Grobbelaar and Pepe Reina we would not boast the sort of records we do. And ultimately, the great outfield players we've had, wouldn't be as great.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #143: Nov 06, 2010 01:46:45 am
      I always feel sorry for the keepers in these sort of questions because very rarely do they get mentioned. And we've had some of the game's greatest keepers over the years, including the one we have today.

So I'm gonna give a special mention to the keepers we've had, who could easily be called our greatest player. Without Elisha Scott, Tommy Lawrence, Ray Clemence, Bruce Grobbelaar and Pepe Reina we would not boast the sort of records we do. And ultimately, the great outfield players we've had, wouldn't be as great.
      Start up a greatest ever keeper thread so :D
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #144: Nov 06, 2010 09:36:20 am
      Steve Gerrard for me - no one else comes close. My case FOR him:

Looks world class in any position he plays in
      Has carried the club for many years
      Leads by example
      Can score from anywhere with any part of his body
      Scores freekicks and penalties
      Is a great example and role model
      Can pass, shoot, cross, tackle, attack, defend, mark, motivate, change a game on his own.....
      Hasn't had the benefit of being surrounded by other world class players like most on this list - he's done it all himself
      A true red that has only ever, and will only ever play for Liverpool.

In a nutshell, any accolade given to him is an understatement. He IS Liverpool football club.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,753 posts | 7179 
      Reply #145: Nov 06, 2010 01:04:54 pm
      All though Dudek made some howlers having watched his save from Shev in ultra slow motion he did stick his hand out and just for that one night I will always love the guy.I prefer to forget the rest. I can just about remember seeing Tommy Lawrence  playing but Clemence was just awesome and at times just unbeatable how Shilton got the nod over him I will never know. Anyone remember Alun Evans the first £100k teenager what happend to him after Liverpool.This thread should be renamed the intotal agreement thread.Its  nice not to be at odds with people.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #146: Nov 06, 2010 06:15:45 pm
      All though Dudek made some howlers having watched his save from Shev in ultra slow motion he did stick his hand out and just for that one night I will always love the guy.I prefer to forget the rest. I can just about remember seeing Tommy Lawrence  playing but Clemence was just awesome and at times just unbeatable how Shilton got the nod over him I will never know. Anyone remember Alun Evans the first £100k teenager what happend to him after Liverpool.This thread should be renamed the intotal agreement thread.Its  nice not to be at odds with people.
      Alun Evans was sold to Aston Villa in 1972 for 70,000 quid then Walsall for 3,000 quid he finished up playing in Australia for Hellas F.C. in Melbourne.He was a good lad that got it wrong,I can recall him getting bottled in the face in a nightclub in Birmingham,he had the world at his feet and blew it.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #147: Nov 06, 2010 06:21:58 pm
      Looks world class in any position he plays in

I was thinking that today.

Any position on the field I could think of, I was sure that he could in a decent shift.

Tremendously versatile player, will be one of our all time greatest players without a doubt.

But it's very hard to choose a single best player, especially when you consider the way the game has evolved, and the fact that some positions are simply more "glamorous" than others.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #148: Nov 06, 2010 08:40:44 pm
      But it's very hard to choose a single best player, especially when you consider the way the game has evolved, and the fact that some positions are simply more "glamorous" than others.

Definitely agree with this, for me I couldn't possibly comment on any player that was before my time since looking at old youtube clips and hearing by word of mouth isn't really enough evidence to make an assessment.

But I think even a seasoned Liverpool fan who'd lived through the glory years wouldn't dispute including Stevie among the very greats that have played for this club.

It'd be difficult to even contemplate the last decade without him and I wouldn't like to imagine the state we'd be in now without him.Wouldn't like to belittle other players contributions but I think we could rule out Istanbul and certainly Cardiff. I remember arguing with my friends that between 2004 to 2009 he was a better footballer than the likes of Ronaldinho,Kaka and Ronaldo and he's probably one of the most talismanic players to play the game in modern times.

Don't know if a poll has been mentioned in this thread, but it would be a great idea, would've thought it'd be between Stevie and Kenny for the number one spot.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #149: Nov 06, 2010 08:44:56 pm
      Best player ever, probably Kenny.
      Fave player's, God and Barnes.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #150: Nov 06, 2010 08:47:40 pm
      All though Dudek made some howlers having watched his save from Shev in ultra slow motion he did stick his hand out and just for that one night I will always love the guy.I prefer to forget the rest.

Best. Save. Ever.

Jerzy Dudek Vs Shevshenko

And he knows it!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #151: Nov 06, 2010 08:56:40 pm
      Definitely agree with this, for me I couldn't possibly comment on any player that was before my time since looking at old youtube clips and hearing by word of mouth isn't really enough evidence to make an assessment.

But I think even a seasoned Liverpool fan who'd lived through the glory years wouldn't dispute including Stevie among the very greats that have played for this club.

It'd be difficult to even contemplate the last decade without him and I wouldn't like to imagine the state we'd be in now without him.Wouldn't like to belittle other players contributions but I think we could rule out Istanbul and certainly Cardiff. I remember arguing with my friends that between 2004 to 2009 he was a better footballer than the likes of Ronaldinho,Kaka and Ronaldo and he's probably one of the most talismanic players to play the game in modern times.

Don't know if a poll has been mentioned in this thread, but it would be a great idea, would've thought it'd be between Stevie and Kenny for the number one spot.
      I agree with what you say about Stevie and would include him in the all time L.F.C. greats along with Kenny,but I cannot be swayed from my choice of Billy Liddell.He carried this club in the 1950s and we would not have achieved the successes as a club if he had not been at Anfield.Billy Liddell could play in any position in the forward line he was that good and do not forget that he scored 216 goals in 495 appearances.It should also be remembered he lost 6 years of football because of the 2nd world war.As well as playing for Scotland he represented Great Britain twice when they played the rest of Europe.There have been so many brilliant players played for L.F.C. over the years and I have been lucky to have seen a lot of them.A lad who deserves a special mention has to be Gerry Byrne for his brave and gallant effort in the 1965 F.A.Cup final.(No subs in those days)
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,753 posts | 7179 
      Reply #152: Nov 06, 2010 10:23:18 pm

Actually i should have said his double save. Also Traeore actually put in some blinding tackles that night. What a memory to have.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #153: Nov 06, 2010 10:40:31 pm
      Kenny & Gerrard; two faces of the same coin. Both are exceptional!
      gregrfc
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #154: Nov 06, 2010 11:03:09 pm
      hi liverpool fans i am up in scotland and i have an autographed ball which i think is from the late 80 s with signatures like john wark grobbelar beardsley ronnie whelan gary gillespie and many more i am about to put this ball up for auction but if you ant to make a serious offer its yours
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #155: Nov 06, 2010 11:14:09 pm
      I can only tell from what I've seen as a fan growing up and Steven Gerrard is the best player I've seen.
      gregrfc
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #156: Nov 06, 2010 11:17:21 pm
      hi liverpool fans I am up in scotland and I have an autographed ball which I think is from the late 80 s with signatures like john wark grobbelar beardsley ronnie whelan gary gillespie and many more I am about to put this ball up for auction but if you ant to make a serious offer its yours
      KopKarl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 587 posts |
      Reply #157: Nov 06, 2010 11:29:30 pm
      Dalglish... end of!
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #158: Nov 06, 2010 11:56:21 pm
      Impossible to call. For a best ever 11 some i would include are,Rush,Nichol,Beardsley,Byrne,God,
      Clemence,Molby,Dalglish,St John,Gerrard,Hansen,Whelan,Craig Johnson plus many many more.
      Our history is steeped in legends with ro many to choose from
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      John Aldridge: I believe Steven Gerrard is Liverpool FC’s greatest ever player
      Reply #159: Nov 09, 2010 10:35:21 pm
      John Aldridge: I believe Steven Gerrard is Liverpool FC’s greatest ever player
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/11/09/john-aldridge-i-believe-steven-gerrard-is-liverpool-fc-s-greatest-ever-player-100252-27623337/

IT’S been a typical kind of week for Steven Gerrard. He led his side to a hugely influential victory at Bolton, came off the bench and scored a hat-trick against the fourth best team in Serie A, then produced another outstanding display against the league leaders.

But then I wouldn’t expect anything less from Stevie, because like Jamie Carragher I believe Steven Gerrard is the greatest player to have ever pulled on the red shirt.

Now you’d expect Jamie to say that. He’s Stevie’s team-mate and pal after all.

But I had the good fortune to play alongside the phenomenal Kenny Dalglish, and I believe Stevie has probably surpassed even King Kenny.

What gives Stevie the edge is that Kenny actually played in a team with 10 other great players.

Stevie has probably only played in a Liverpool team with four or five great players, maximum.

He’s been left to carry the can for the side so many times on his own, and has usually produced.

People say that Stevie can’t be considered the best of all time until he’s won a league title.

But he’s single-handedly inspired Liverpool to almost every other trophy – I’m thinking of his Istanbul heroics, his incredible FA Cup final display and his goals in League and UEFA Cup finals.

He’s also helped the team in a wide variety of positions, but for me the position where he is most effective is where he is now.

I think Stevie can have the biggest influence on a match from central midfield.

I particularly liked the way the team was set up against Chelsea on Sunday, with Dirk Kuyt in behind Torres.

I’d also like to see Glen Johnson come back in on the right of midfield, similar to the way Spurs use Gareth Bale and Everton are currently usuing Seamus Coleman – a youngster who I think can be a great player for Ireland in the future.

Lucas received plenty of praise for his performance on Sunday and on this occasion it was deserved.

In many respects his situation reminds me of Darren Fletcher’s at Manchester United.

Early on in his career the United supporters just weren’t having him.

Now he is one of their most important players.

Whether that happens with Lucas we’ll have to wait and see, but there’s no doubt that Rafa Benitez’s departure seems to have helped him.

He has responded well to the challenge of Christian Poulsen and Raul Meireles’ arrival – although it’s blatantly obvious already that Poulsen is not going to be any threat to Lucas’ place.

If the Brazilian continues the way he played on Sunday he could go on to become a valuable squad player for us.

But there’s no doubt who has been the most valuable player for Liverpool Football Club over the last 12 years.

For me, though, Steven Gerrard is the most influential player EVER to have played for The Reds.

Interesting article from Aldo, makes some quite good points in it too.

We all know how many times our Captain has pulled us out of the mire and just how truly awesome a player he is but the best player to have ever worn the Liver bird?

Bold statement when you consider the competition.

Thoughts?
      MsGerrard
      Re: John Aldridge: I believe Steven Gerrard is Liverpool FC’s greatest ever player
      Reply #160: Nov 09, 2010 10:49:02 pm
      I still think King Kenny takes some beating, football was different back then though.

Steve Gerrard has pulled us out of trouble so many times and he's been by far our best player for many seasons now, I dread to think who will replace him when he eventually retires.

The way he turned the game round last Thursday when he came on at half time against Napoli which inspiring to the whole of Anfield, that is a sign of a truly great player.

He happens to be my favourite Liverpool player (as if you hadn't already guessed)  :laugh: but at this moment, I still think Dalglish is the finest player to pull on the red shirt of Liverpool.

Quick Reply