Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Greatest All Time Player for Liverpool

Read 25693 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: John Aldridge: I believe Steven Gerrard is Liverpool FC’s greatest ever player
      Reply #161: Nov 09, 2010 10:52:29 pm
      It's difficult to tell because I've never seen King Kenny play first hand. I've seen Steven Gerrard for probably half of my life and IMO, he's the most complete footballer ever. Tacking, heading, shooting, free kicks, penalties, corners, 50 yard passes, 35 yard shots and can probably do everything out there.

He hasn't won a league title but he has scored in all the major finals at club level with inspirational performances against AC Milan (2005) and West Ham (2006).

To carry a team with just a handful of great players almost every season single-handedly is an amazing feat but to pop up with the goods when they're needed very badly is what separates him from other so-called best players.

And, Aldo is probably right about Lucas!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: John Aldridge: I believe Steven Gerrard is Liverpool FC’s greatest ever player
      Reply #162: Nov 09, 2010 10:54:11 pm
      Never seen Kenny play, except in highlights, so cannot even comment, but Stevie laa is the best player I've seen in a red shirt, and has to be right up there with the very best of them.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #163: Nov 09, 2010 10:57:03 pm
      He has responded well to the challenge of Christian Poulsen and Raul Meireles’ arrival – although it’s blatantly obvious already that Poulsen is not going to be any threat to Lucas’ place.

;D at that.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #164: Nov 09, 2010 11:34:01 pm
      Disagree im afraid gerrard is not the greatest player ever when you take into account he nearly jumped ship, kenny for me will always wear the crown.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #165: Nov 09, 2010 11:39:46 pm
      The Man in my avatar for me, King Kenny was different class, in terms of vision and football intelligence, I've never seen it reproduced to the level he had it from any Uk Player, Wales, Ireland, England or Scotland since he hung up his boots and boy he could finish and pack out a pass out too.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #166: Nov 10, 2010 12:04:06 am
       With all due respect but is this thread  the same as the the one that is already on the board,Greatest All Time Player  For Liverpool.It seems to me that we are going down the same path and will get the same point of view on posters favourite all time great.
      RedSauce
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #167: Nov 10, 2010 12:11:20 am
      Imagine Stevie in the team in those glory days. MsGerrard is right, football was totally different then, but I think Stevie would have slotted in brilliantly. When I go back and watch my collection of old games it really is an eye-opener. The football wall nowhere near as polished as it now, but they were playing on mucky pitches with a heavy ball, and had all been drinking and smoking in the run up to the game. But it was more exciting than today's Premier League circus. Rose tinted spectacles and all that cuz we were winning everything back then, but still, football today seems sterile at times unless you go down a few divisions.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Greatest All Time Player for Liverpool
      Reply #168: Nov 10, 2010 12:20:39 am
      ... Merged.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #169: Nov 10, 2010 09:51:18 am

Cheers Res ;D

Aldo does make some good points i agree but King Kenny will always be #1 for me too.

Having said that, imagine a side with Stevie and Kenny playing together. Ooooof!!!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #170: Nov 10, 2010 10:19:02 am
      Steven Gerrard.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #171: Nov 10, 2010 11:52:17 am
      So many players to choose from - so many different attributes.

But Kenny was pure class in a glass.
      REDLANCE
      • Forum Ian St John

• 451 posts |
      Reply #172: Nov 10, 2010 04:05:21 pm
      I love King Kenny but have to admit that I do think Stevie G has to be our best player ever, Reina our best goalie ever and Carra very close to our best Centre back ever   ;)
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #173: Nov 10, 2010 04:13:55 pm
      I would love to see Stevie play with a ball from the 70’s and 80’s though ;)
      REDLANCE
      • Forum Ian St John

• 451 posts |
      Reply #174: Nov 10, 2010 04:20:19 pm
      I still think he would still score his screamers the man is a LEGEND  ;D

ANY ERA ANY TEAM STEVIE G WOULD BE IN IT
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #175: Nov 10, 2010 04:22:09 pm
      ANY ERA ANY TEAM STEVIE G WOULD BE IN IT

So would Voronin.  Legend ;) haha
      REDLANCE
      • Forum Ian St John

• 451 posts |
      Reply #176: Nov 10, 2010 04:23:47 pm
       :o :o
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #177: Nov 10, 2010 04:45:21 pm
      Robert David Keane
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #178: Nov 10, 2010 10:22:26 pm
      Surprise there's only one mention for Souness. Crap manager but nobody BOSSED a mid field like he did.  When Paul Ince wanted everyone to call him 'the guvnor' was a joke. Souness would have chewed him up and spat him out for fun. One of the shrewdest, hardest players Liverpool have had. Difficult though as a load of great players like Kenny, Rushie, Molby, Digger, The Mighty Emlyn, Ray Clemence, Stevie Highway, They all brought something different to the game.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #179: Nov 11, 2010 12:16:02 am
      No competition for me Christian Poulsen is the best ever. Fact.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #180: Nov 11, 2010 01:32:54 am
      King Kenny and Ian Rush are still my top two but I can see while younger fans may see stevie as our greatest ever.
      Yes, kenny and rushie played in great teams that consistently won trophies whilst gerrard has had to drag an inferior team to success but the consistency of kenny and rushie's performances over a career take them beyond stevie.
      It says how great gerrard is to be mentioned in the same breath as those legends.
      There is more to come from our captain and in the years to come then he very well may top even them.
      we are blessed to even be able to have this debate
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #181: Nov 11, 2010 02:06:47 am
      Surprise there's only one mention for Souness. Crap manager but nobody BOSSED a mid field like he did.  When Paul Ince wanted everyone to call him 'the guvnor' was a joke. Souness would have chewed him up and spat him out for fun. One of the shrewdest, hardest players Liverpool have had. Difficult though as a load of great players like Kenny, Rushie, Molby, Digger, The Mighty Emlyn, Ray Clemence, Stevie Highway, They all brought something different to the game.
      Good shout mate, on the question of Souness personally I am as mystified as ever as to how such a great servant of the club in his playing days could F**k up so massively in every other context since.
      His brief spell as manager was an unqualified disaster and subsequently every comment he has made has been jaundiced rhetoric much to the delight of Sky,the S-- and other anti LFC sources. It seems after his unmatchable glory days he went into a total character hara kiri process and thinks he is the supreme unblemished warrior - nice work if you can get it.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #182: Nov 12, 2010 03:07:17 pm
      To utter the name of Poulsen in such ex haulted company is mere sacrilege. What I find very interesting and also reassuring is that while different generations may have different views I ha-vent really seen any posts arguing that someone is wrong. I believe Sir Roger ,Emlyn and up to and including Stevie have all earned the right to this title and I wouldn't argue with any of the postings on here other than the spoof ones of course.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #183: Nov 12, 2010 06:15:11 pm
      To utter the name of Poulsen in such ex haulted company is mere sacrilege. What I find very interesting and also reassuring is that while different generations may have different views I ha-vent really seen any posts arguing that someone is wrong. I believe Sir Roger ,Emlyn and up to and including Stevie have all earned the right to this title and I wouldn't argue with any of the postings on here other than the spoof ones of course.
      Spot on there have been so many great players at Anfield and between 1960 and 1990 it does seem very unfair that they do not lay claim to the best  ever.My Dad used to always mention two players to me in his time,they were Gordon Hodgson and Elisha Scott.Gordon Hodgson was born in South Africa and he scored 232 goals in 359 appearances for L.F.C. and that was no mean feat in those days 1925 to 1936.Elisha Scott played 430 games for us between 1912 and 1934 so as you can see they were 2 good and loyal players.As for me I cannot look beyond Billy Liddell as our greatest ever.

Quick Reply