Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Wendy Richards Dies

Read 4242 times
      MsGerrard
      Wendy Richards Dies
      Feb 26, 2009 11:13:31 pm
      Actress Wendy Richard dies at 65

Former EastEnders actress Wendy Richard has died at the age of 65, her agent has confirmed.

The star, who played Pauline Fowler in the BBC One soap opera for 21 years, had been suffering from cancer.

Her agent Kevin Francis said: "She was incredibly brave and retained her sense of humour right to the end."

Last October, Richard revealed she had an aggressive, terminal form of cancer. Soon after that she married her long-term partner John Burns.

Francis said the star passed away in the Harley Street Clinic in London with her husband by her side.

'True professional'

In an interview with the Sunday Express last year, Richard revealed she had already planned her funeral and written her will.

She discovered the disease had returned after her usual annual check-up, which revealed cancerous cells in her left armpit.

She told the paper: "Now I have a cancerous growth on my right kidney and the cancer has spread to my bones.

"It's more aggressive this time, unfortunately, and has spread to the top of my spine and left ribs."

A world without Ms Brahms is a sad place.

Richard Smith, London

Bill Treacher, who played Richard's on-screen husband Arthur Fowler in EastEnders, said the actress was a "true professional".

"We worked together for over 11 years and we never once had an argument," he said.

June Brown, who also co-starred in EastEnders as Dot Branning, said: "I loved working with her. We were good partners, we really enjoyed our scenes and that's why I missed her so much when she left."

"She was a very kind woman, particularly if anybody was ill. She would rush round finding doctors, and she was always giving you unexpected presents," she added.

Veteran actress Mollie Sugden who appeared in Are You Being Served? with Richard described her as "a daughter I never had and I shall never stop missing her".

'Funny and witty'

THE CAREER OF WENDY RICHARD
      Are You Being Served?
      1965 Aged 22, joins the cast of soap The Newcomers
      1970-73 Stars in four episodes of Dad's Army as Private Walker's girlfriend, Shirley
      1972 Plays Miss Willing in Carry On Matron
      1972-85 Stars as Miss Brahms in the series Are You Being Served? (pictured)
      1985-2006 Appears in more than 1,400 episodes of EastEnders as Pauline Fowler
      2008 Films her last TV role as Mrs Crump in Marple: A Pocket Full Of Rye

Presenter Dale Winton had known Richard for years.

"I'm very saddened to hear the news, she was a real fighter and actually a very kind and funny lady in her own right," he said.

"My thoughts are with her family, she will be missed."

In 2000, Richard was awarded the MBE for services to television and in 2007 she was given a British Soap Award for Lifetime Achievement for her role in EastEnders.

As well as her 21 years on Albert Square, Richard starred in sitcoms Are You Being Served?, Dad's Army and Grace and Favour.

She joined EastEnders when the programme began in 1985 and remained in it until 2006, when her character died.

The reason she gave for her departure was because she objected to a storyline that saw her character remarry.

"I left because I wasn't happy," she revealed in 2008. "Also, I couldn't believe in what they wanted me to do and unless I can find some truth in what I am doing, I cannot play it.

"Pauline remarrying was wrong. Some women never remarry. My mother never remarried after Daddy died. I always had it in my heart that Arthur was Pauline's husband and that was that."

Another person succumbs to the killer disease that is cancer.  :(
      Never really watched Eastenders, where she really made her name,  very sad all the same.
      Condolences to her family.
      « Last Edit: Feb 27, 2009 01:00:34 am by JD, Reason: Not quite got the hang of the news thing yet then... ;) »
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Wendy Richards Dies
      Reply #1: Feb 27, 2009 07:12:13 am
      Sad news.

RIP Wendy, condolences to the family.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2: Feb 27, 2009 08:25:53 am
      Saw that on the telly last night, sad news.

Condolences to Wendy's family  RIP.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #3: Feb 27, 2009 07:42:37 pm
      Loved Wendy in Are You Being Served, my condolences to Wendy's family.
      lizzieroz
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      Reply #4: Feb 27, 2009 09:17:46 pm
      Condolences to all the family and friends

RIP Wendy
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #5: Feb 28, 2009 12:19:20 pm
      Was really shocked when i heard, she seemed like such a fighter but of course, obviously it was meant to be this way. RIP, thoughts with all the family.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #6: Feb 28, 2009 02:19:46 pm
      Wendy had overcome cancer 3 times before, so she really was a fighter  ;)

Quick Reply