Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Rick Parry to leave Liverpool FC

Read 23776 times
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Re: Rick Parry to leave Liverpool FC
      Reply #115: Feb 28, 2009 06:28:53 am
      could this possibly lead to new talks with DIC or other preferable owners?
      correct. the americans need to leave now, full stop.! they may give benitez full control now, but with them, as has been tha case earlier, off-field matters will always hog the limelights more than on-field matters. this is definitely not good for the club.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #116: Feb 28, 2009 11:37:16 am
      To much speculation for my liking, reading Hicks it sounds to me that he intends to hang on (hope not) but everything has it's price so I keep my fingers crossed that he already has a buyer because their is one thing you can rely on Hicks for when he does something it always has a price tag. Who now takes Parrys seat in the boardroom, anyone know.......

I get the feeling that what happened to Parry has nothing to do with Rafa's contract or if he signs or doesn't sign...
      Tombo
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts | -2 
      Reply #117: Feb 28, 2009 12:07:41 pm
      What happens next should be a good indication of what our future holds, if the yanks bring in someone to replace (p)ric then it might indicate that they are planning to stay,or if no movement is made to replace ric then it might indicate no one wants a temp role if their gona be sacked in the summer by the new owners.! Lets hope for the latter.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #118: Feb 28, 2009 12:32:04 pm
      what would be a perfect 7 days would be wins against Boro and Sunderland on Tuesday. Is the story about Gerrard trying to speak to Parry about staying but Parry's phone was switched of because he was in the pictures true. If so then it explains fully why he is a complete tosser.
      YNWA_JOEL
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts | -1 
      Reply #119: Feb 28, 2009 02:31:31 pm
      the yanks don't know how to control an English football club! they don't even know the offside rule! :laugh: all power should and will be placed in Rafa's Spanish hands.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #120: Feb 28, 2009 03:20:29 pm
      To much speculation for my liking, reading Hicks it sounds to me that he intends to hang on (hope not) but everything has it's price so I keep my fingers crossed that he already has a buyer because their is one thing you can rely on Hicks for when he does something it always has a price tag. Who now takes Parrys seat in the boardroom, anyone know.......

I get the feeling that what happened to Parry has nothing to do with Rafa's contract or if he signs or doesn't sign...
      The question of Parry's successor will not be of paramount importance because unlike yourself I think his decision to leave was directly linked to the contract issue.His interference would not have been welcomed by Rafa especially when you consider that any players bought by the manager are a measure of his judgement and efficiency,and we know that he was prevented from persuing players he had an interest in. Parry's input and we know he did try to exert some pressure on Rafa would only have been detrimental to the proceedings and his lack of managerial skills and football knowledge would eventually be attributed to the manager.                                                                                                                                                                                                That situation could not be allowed to continue,the manager has a difficult enough job of trying to manage LFC with the owners at each others throats and he does not need the goal posts moving on a daily basis,if you will excuse the pun.
      « Last Edit: Feb 28, 2009 04:35:40 pm by stuey »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #121: Feb 28, 2009 09:38:18 pm
      Does this mean the Yanks actually agree with Rafa ? Will they give him the control over player purchase now Parry is on the way ? Will his contract now get finalised, or will slick Rick keep putting his oar in until the end of the season?  Will Rafa get any funds for players, and if so, will he continue to buy one quality player in five, or will he now go for the top boys? Will any of this make any F***ing difference to the likes of us or not ? ???
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #122: Feb 28, 2009 09:41:13 pm
      I personally think Hicks wanted him out because the poor state off the pitch rather than the transfer policy.... anyone know who is lined up as Parry's replacement???

BBC reckon it's gonna be fat Barwick
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Article: Parry and Benitez
      Reply #123: Mar 01, 2009 12:18:44 am
      How Rick Parry walked alone after relationship with Rafael Benitez fell apart
      by Rory Smith, Sunday Telegraph

The seeds of Rick Parry's demise were sown long before Tom Hicks and George Gillett had heard of Anfield or Rafa Benitez cast his eye over Gareth Barry. Instead, the Liverpool chief executive was a marked man from the moment one million Liverpool fans who thronged the city to celebrate the miracle of Istanbul started to disperse.

In the immediate aftermath of that remarkable night, the club's captain and heartbeat, Steven Gerrard, declared he would reject Chelsea's overtures but Parry prevaricated over a new deal. Benitez came within a whisker of losing the man central to his plans to make Liverpool great again.

Interference from those above him is a subject close to the Spaniard's heart. His clashes with Jesus Garcia Pitarch, the sporting director he could not work with at Valencia, have made him suspicious of the efficacy of those above him, of their intentions and agendas.

From the moment Parry almost lost Gerrard, Benitez was on alert, waiting, watching. By the end of the summer of 2005, Parry's failure to agree a payment schedule with Benfica over the £10 million transfer of Simao Sabrosa had cost Benitez his main transfer target with the player's medical completed. The manager was furious. A year later, Parry could not seal an £8 million deal to sign Daniel Alves, the Sevilla full-back.

Benitez knew Liverpool were not cash-rich when he joined from Valencia but, in the days before the club's current custodians arrived with pockets full of credit notes, it was less Liverpool's financial power than Parry's inability to close a deal which concerned the Spaniard.

The manager who complained at the Mestalla that Garcia Pitarch bought him a lamp when he asked for a table found himself at a club where they knew what furniture to buy but could not remember their pin number.

When Parry and Moores, in return for a substantial bonus payment and guarantees over their own futures, sold the club to Tom Hicks and George Gillett in February 2007, money was not supposed to be an issue. That, of course, proved to be a false dawn. After that year's Champions League final, Benitez complained the club had to back him in the transfer market if they were to remain at the top of the European game.

Hicks and Gillett responded, signing Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel for a combined fee of up to £40 million, but it did not take long for the cracks to appear. In November that year, Benitez, furious the club's owners would not give him a concrete response to his detailed plans for the forthcoming January transfer window, revealed in a stormy press conference he had been told to concentrate solely on coaching his current squad.

Behind the scenes, the club was in chaos. Benitez had threatened to leave for one of his long-time Italian suitors, including Inter Milan, if he was not given the requisite funds.

In the tumult, Parry helped set up a meeting at Jürgen Klinsmann's California home, which he, Hicks and Gillett attended.

The German was offered Benitez's job should the Spaniard quit. When details of the meeting became public the following April – contradicting Parry's earlier statement that he had known nothing of it – Benitez knew the situation could not continue.

Sources inside Anfield suggest it was at that stage that the manager's relationship with Parry broke down irretrievably. That led to a clear division within the fractured power structure at the club. Hicks and Benitez became allies as the Texan, himself unimpressed by Parry's commercial performance, tried to oust the chief executive, who was saved only by Gillett.

By the time of last summer's Gareth Barry debacle, yet another transfer failure from Parry, the die was almost cast. Hicks spoke in April of Parry as a "disaster" for allowing Liverpool's famous name to fall behind Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea in terms of sponsorship, merchandising and brand value.

Parry, believing the club could be sold in the summer, clung on, believing he could survive as both Hicks and Gillett fell. As Benitez's contract negotiations started last year, it became obvious Hicks was going nowhere, actively seeking new investment to replace Gillett. The reality that Gillett would leave the club, leaving Parry a sitting duck, slowly dawned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/4885080/How-Rick-Parry-walked-alone-after-relationship-with-Rafael-Benitez-fell-apart.html

Good article.  Reminded me what a complete F**k up Rick Parry has been for us.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #124: Mar 01, 2009 12:24:47 am
      found himself at a club where they knew what furniture to buy but could not remember their pin number.

Love this line and completely sums up Parry's failings in the transfer market.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #125: Mar 01, 2009 12:28:56 am

Me too.  I was about to go in and edit my post and highlight it so you've saved me the job.

Good article I thought. 

Although I can hardly wait for Chris Bascunt's thrilling bullshit take on it all tomorrow.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #126: Mar 01, 2009 12:35:23 am
      The more that leakes out you wonder how the fck has Rafa managed to keep us where we are now ,the saying tell the truth so help me god would be nice but i dont suppose we will get that there is so much bullshit flying around our club at the moment you wonder if Rafa did walk who the fck would want the job ,all we want is stability and at the moment it is like we are sailing on a sinking ship, a bit drunk but thats how i feel .
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #127: Mar 01, 2009 02:58:44 am
      I don't even want to think of where we might be had Parry not screwed up in sealing transfers, surely we'd have a much better side than at the moment.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #128: Mar 02, 2009 08:55:10 am
      How Rick Parry walked alone after relationship with Rafael Benitez fell apart
      by Rory Smith, Sunday Telegraph

The seeds of Rick Parry's demise were sown long before Tom Hicks and George Gillett had heard of Anfield or Rafa Benitez cast his eye over Gareth Barry. Instead, the Liverpool chief executive was a marked man from the moment one million Liverpool fans who thronged the city to celebrate the miracle of Istanbul started to disperse.

In the immediate aftermath of that remarkable night, the club's captain and heartbeat, Steven Gerrard, declared he would reject Chelsea's overtures but Parry prevaricated over a new deal. Benitez came within a whisker of losing the man central to his plans to make Liverpool great again.

Interference from those above him is a subject close to the Spaniard's heart. His clashes with Jesus Garcia Pitarch, the sporting director he could not work with at Valencia, have made him suspicious of the efficacy of those above him, of their intentions and agendas.

From the moment Parry almost lost Gerrard, Benitez was on alert, waiting, watching. By the end of the summer of 2005, Parry's failure to agree a payment schedule with Benfica over the £10 million transfer of Simao Sabrosa had cost Benitez his main transfer target with the player's medical completed. The manager was furious. A year later, Parry could not seal an £8 million deal to sign Daniel Alves, the Sevilla full-back.

Benitez knew Liverpool were not cash-rich when he joined from Valencia but, in the days before the club's current custodians arrived with pockets full of credit notes, it was less Liverpool's financial power than Parry's inability to close a deal which concerned the Spaniard.

The manager who complained at the Mestalla that Garcia Pitarch bought him a lamp when he asked for a table found himself at a club where they knew what furniture to buy but could not remember their pin number.

When Parry and Moores, in return for a substantial bonus payment and guarantees over their own futures, sold the club to Tom Hicks and George Gillett in February 2007, money was not supposed to be an issue. That, of course, proved to be a false dawn. After that year's Champions League final, Benitez complained the club had to back him in the transfer market if they were to remain at the top of the European game.

Hicks and Gillett responded, signing Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel for a combined fee of up to £40 million, but it did not take long for the cracks to appear. In November that year, Benitez, furious the club's owners would not give him a concrete response to his detailed plans for the forthcoming January transfer window, revealed in a stormy press conference he had been told to concentrate solely on coaching his current squad.

Behind the scenes, the club was in chaos. Benitez had threatened to leave for one of his long-time Italian suitors, including Inter Milan, if he was not given the requisite funds.

In the tumult, Parry helped set up a meeting at Jürgen Klinsmann's California home, which he, Hicks and Gillett attended.

The German was offered Benitez's job should the Spaniard quit. When details of the meeting became public the following April – contradicting Parry's earlier statement that he had known nothing of it – Benitez knew the situation could not continue.

Sources inside Anfield suggest it was at that stage that the manager's relationship with Parry broke down irretrievably. That led to a clear division within the fractured power structure at the club. Hicks and Benitez became allies as the Texan, himself unimpressed by Parry's commercial performance, tried to oust the chief executive, who was saved only by Gillett.

By the time of last summer's Gareth Barry debacle, yet another transfer failure from Parry, the die was almost cast. Hicks spoke in April of Parry as a "disaster" for allowing Liverpool's famous name to fall behind Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea in terms of sponsorship, merchandising and brand value.

Parry, believing the club could be sold in the summer, clung on, believing he could survive as both Hicks and Gillett fell. As Benitez's contract negotiations started last year, it became obvious Hicks was going nowhere, actively seeking new investment to replace Gillett. The reality that Gillett would leave the club, leaving Parry a sitting duck, slowly dawned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/4885080/How-Rick-Parry-walked-alone-after-relationship-with-Rafael-Benitez-fell-apart.html

Good article.  Reminded me what a complete f**k up Rick Parry has been for us.

Thanks for publishing that JD,really opened my eyes and I for one love RAFA all the more for reading it and seeing what he's had to put up with with the F**kWit.Good riddance I say.
      NB:Could you move the article to the Rafa topic aswell please?

IRWT.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      u
      Reply #129: Mar 02, 2009 12:00:36 pm
      As more disclosures of this sorry tale see the light of day,Parry's involvement in the proceedings get more unprofessional with every sentence.That he was allowed to continue in any capacity is truly unbelievable but as the story unfolds we will no doubt learn why he was permitted and by who to cling to his position for so long,he is still chief exec. even now - that is taking the piss.     
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #130: Mar 02, 2009 12:19:31 pm
      An excellent read that always said it and knew it Parry you are  spineless tw*t..dont let the door hit you on the way out.

For all Rafa doubters and bashers can you not see what the man has to deal with and go through on a daily basis tryin to manage this mess created by clowns above him.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #131: Mar 02, 2009 12:28:20 pm
      For me it started with Macca walking away for nothing  >:(,his contract negotiation went on for ages and he eventually walked.Parry is an accountant who has been out of his depth and held on to his position because Moores happend to be born rich but didn't have a clue about running a club hence here we are today, a laughing stock going from one crisis to another at boardroom level. For all those Rafa bashers the man has had one hand tied behind his back since he has been here to have achieved what he has done is remarkable. For a comparison look at Newcastle who have had similar boardroom problems which led to Keegan walking.Rafa feels too much for the fans and players to do the same but I bet there have been many times when he thought I don't need this aggro. If Hicks stays and we get rid of Gillette a new CEO with more finance available we might settle down and concentrate on football for a change.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #132: Mar 02, 2009 02:26:34 pm
      Ray Ranson Coventry City's chairman is being touted as our new chief exec. so it seems.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #133: Mar 02, 2009 02:28:05 pm
      Parry's best piece of work was his involvement in the Torres signature,  and in the transfer market his failing are too long to mention, but Keane had to be on that list.  My personal take is that Rafa wanted a striker - Parry failed in Villa and a few others, Rafa suggested Keane as a prospect, Parry gets an opportunity and goes head first paying 5m too much.  I think Rafa wanted Keane, but for no more than 15m. 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #134: Mar 02, 2009 02:57:24 pm
      Parry's best piece of work was his involvement in the Torres signature,  and in the transfer market his failing are too long to mention, but Keane had to be on that list.  My personal take is that Rafa wanted a striker - Parry failed in Villa and a few others, Rafa suggested Keane as a prospect, Parry gets an opportunity and goes head first paying 5m too much.  I think Rafa wanted Keane, but for no more than 15m. 
      TBH when the news broke about Keanes transfer for 20 mill. it was a total shock and the fact that Rafa had given the deal his blessing apparently,was even more of a mystery.The exact details are cloudy but what with the lad being an Irish international Rafa wouldn't have the insight that he does with continental players so you could say he'd be working off recommendation to an extent, enter Parry.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #135: Mar 02, 2009 03:08:35 pm
      The thing is though the money was a big factor it may not have made him score more goals, but if we would have signed him for under 15m, we would have been in a much stronger position. And it would have taken a lot of pressure off him and the club every time he was kept on the bench. If he wasn't happy at being on the bench we could have been stronger as we could always get 10-12m for him at the end of the season.  And he definitely wouldn't have been sold in the January window, IMO.

I agree with you that I was shocked at the news too and didn't understand it many still want strikers and with Torres late injury problems do have a genuine concern, but I still think that quality in wide position is still the top priority and quality is key.  We need a player or two that can score goals and play wide at the very highest level.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #136: Mar 02, 2009 03:51:07 pm
      If you check my posts out about Keane they were all about being patient,giving the lad time and all that carry on,but if our patience was tried think how the manager took it,and don't forget mate the lad talked himself out of a job.
                                                                  Know what you're saying about about getting somebody wide thats got to be a priority Riera on his day can hold it up and Benayoun has a go but you want somebody there who can run a defence ragged week in week out.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #137: Mar 02, 2009 04:02:57 pm
      I hope Parry's replacement can be a lot quicker off the mark and can take simple orders from Benitez. 

Quick Reply