Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Where do we need strengthening for a title challenge

Read 42000 times
      MsGerrard
      Re: Where do we need strengthening for a title challenge
      Reply #322: Mar 26, 2009 08:51:19 pm
      Do you really rate him MsG? Im not sure about him. Ribery would be a better option in my opinion.

If you liked Luis Garcia then I can see why because I think they are very similar.(Hot and Cold)

I certainly do rate him Kenny, think he'd become an even better player as well when Rafa get's his hands on him, you only have to look at what he's done with Torres, and Nando admits that Rafa has made him a better player.

I think I will start a campaign up to get Silva to Anfield   ;D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #323: Mar 26, 2009 08:54:45 pm
      definatly need a RW, RB cover for arbeloa instead of using carra (even tho he always does a good job) and strike partner for torres or cover for torres, id say david villa =D

new here btw so hi everyone =]

Welcome to the forum rieras-left-foot............it can be crazy in here mate sometimes, all good though  ;D

I'd still love to see Stephen Darby given a chance, we all know what Insua's done on the left, let Stephen have a go on the right, I say.

By the way, player's names begin with capital letters  :f_whistle:
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #324: Mar 26, 2009 08:57:18 pm
      I'd still love to see Stephen Darby given a chance, we all know what Insua's done on the left, let Stephen have a go on the right, I say.

I also heard of a lad coming through the ranks called Gerrard. He definitely deserves a few games next season. Not too many people rate him but i'd say he's worth a gamble :)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #325: Mar 26, 2009 09:01:38 pm
      I also heard of a lad coming through the ranks called Gerrard. He definitely deserves a few games next season. Not too many people rate him but I'd say he's worth a gamble :)

Yeah, heard of him...........he's crap on the right though isn't he  ;) :laugh:
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #326: Mar 26, 2009 09:15:47 pm
      Yeah, heard of him...........he's crap on the right though isn't he  ;) :laugh:

Not 'alf ;) :laugh:
      Kawklee
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts | -3 
      Reply #327: Mar 26, 2009 09:51:52 pm
      I dont mean to be a mean spirited humbug but some of these suggestions are plumb loon =/
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #328: Mar 26, 2009 09:54:52 pm
      I dont mean to be a mean spirited humbug but some of these suggestions are plumb loon =/

I was joking if that helps  :laugh:
      rieras-left-foot
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #329: Mar 26, 2009 10:00:05 pm
      thanks =] yeah Darby should be given more of a chance whenever Arbeloa is injured, still think we need a proper RW since Kuyt is a striker and Pennant is on loan, every time the transfer window comes up im always frustrated we never get a proper RW =o
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #330: Mar 26, 2009 10:01:52 pm
      I think Darby career at Liverpool is as good as done, if Rafa is going to play center backs and defensive mid-fielders at right back it speaks volumes on how much Rafa rates the kid.
      Kawklee
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts | -3 
      Reply #331: Mar 26, 2009 10:03:24 pm

Gerrard as RB or RW is still more plausible than David Villa  ::)
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #332: Mar 26, 2009 10:06:45 pm
      Gerrard as RB or RW is still more plausible than David Villa  ::)
      Does that mean you think we have no chance of signing villa
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3395 
      Reply #333: Mar 26, 2009 10:11:13 pm
      I think Darby career at Liverpool is as good as done, if Rafa is going to play center backs and defensive mid-fielders at right back it speaks volumes on how much Rafa rates the kid.

I'm not so sure mate. If memory serves me right wasn't Darby injured for the Boro and Sunderland games which forced Benitez to play Skrtel and Masch there? Had he been fit I think Benitez would of had a natural right back there instead.
      Kawklee
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts | -3 
      Reply #334: Mar 26, 2009 10:17:59 pm
      Does that mean you think we have no chance of signing villa

We don't want him, don't need him, won't buy him, won't sign him.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3395 
      Reply #335: Mar 26, 2009 10:20:46 pm

Put it bluntly won't you mate ;)
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #336: Mar 26, 2009 10:26:37 pm

To be honest mate, i wouldn't mind us signing him.
      Imagine mate, and this can happen to any team, that Torres had a horrific leg break right before the season kicked off in August.
      Out for most of the season.
      Who's our goalscorer?
      Kawklee
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts | -3 
      Reply #337: Mar 26, 2009 11:09:37 pm
      Transfer Fee. Rejected a more than 70 million quid offer from Man Citeh. Now certainly, this is Man Citeh we're talking about, but that still gives some proof as to his price.

Want. Villa does not want to leave Spain. Now, Liverpool would be the best "not spain" option for Villa, but we are still... not Spain. We are not even 'France' as Arsenal is, because Arsenal is a target for French Internationals, while players in Spain are still given preference.

Playstyle. Villa is a break player. Torres is a break player. When Torres and Villa play together, Torres changes his style from "break player" to "draw player". The partnership works for Spain because both of these players are heads and shoulders above anyone else up-front. Earlier in this thread this point explained more fully, so I'll leave it at the more abridged version.

Mascherano. Do you take him out of games to play the second ST?

Alonso. Do you take him out of games to play the second ST?

We are not United. We don't have the want or the money to leave 30million quid players on the sidelines. Keane was left on the sidelines and people were in an uproar. Nevertheless, the Keane saga has left many questions unanswered that will take years to come to light, but thats just an example.

I say O Martins. Newcastle are going to relegation, he'll want to jump ship surely, and has a strong finish. We don't need a peer to Torres, or a superior, what we need is a substitute.

I hope we sign Silva. Riera/Silva on the left, Babel can now play his preferred role, Ngog, Kuyt, and possible new signing will all be suitable alternatives for Torres. People forget Kuyt's first year. He can, and will, score. Babel can play on the right with Benny, as well.

Villa is not the answer.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #338: Mar 26, 2009 11:17:30 pm
      You've won me over a bit there mate. Good argument
      I don't fancy martins to be honest, he's not consistent enough and not good enough to be in a title challenging team.
      We do need another quality striker in case Torres is sidelined, which we all know can easily happen to him. I'd still love us to sign villa but i can't see it happening.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #339: Mar 26, 2009 11:24:35 pm
      I'd be happy with..

Striker - Obafemi Martins
      Left Midfield - David Sliva
      Right Midfield - Franck Ribery or Joaquin

We'd have strong wingers and all of the above can deliver great service into the box, plus if we got those players that'd free Kuyt up to cover for Nando as well as Martins so we'd have excellent depth in the striking department in the event of any injury etc
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #340: Mar 27, 2009 12:13:06 am
      I'm not so sure mate. If memory serves me right wasn't Darby injured for the Boro and Sunderland games which forced Benitez to play Skrtel and Masch there? Had he been fit I think Benitez would of had a natural right back there instead.

I think you are right about Darby being hurt looking at the reserve games during that time period so that is poor on my part but I still have my doubts over his Liverpool career.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3395 
      Reply #341: Mar 27, 2009 12:16:42 am
      I think you are right about Darby being hurt looking at the reserve games during that time period so that is poor on my part but I still have my doubts over his Liverpool career.

I think with Arby's young age, probably means Darby won't be getting much of a look in. Which in my opinion is a shame because I think he's a good solid full back. But at this moment in time I wouldn't Alvaro Arbeloa with anybody.
      Kawklee
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts | -3 
      Reply #342: Mar 27, 2009 01:19:49 am
      Also think of our replacement for Gerrard when he's out. What do we do? Put Lucas in the CAM/CF? Put up another Striker and go from 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-2? If we buy Silva when Gerro is out we can still play an attacking 4-2-3-1, and have a great subsitute for Riera. Silva fits our club like a glove, the prospect of signing him is wonderful.

Ribery is not going to happen. Bayern have annonced I dont even know how many times they are not not not not not not going to let him go--especially for any price that we could afford. Also, Rafa appreciates Kuyt's workrate in his strategem more than people appreciate. Kuyt makes a 4-2-3-1 a 4-3-3-1 by literally running like a crack fiend looking for pennies.

Buy Silva and we get options for LM, CAM/CF, and open up players for RM and ST positions. You buy one player and all of a sudden our squad depth is increased greatly as we can re-allocate resources for the betterment of the whole squad. All thats left is competition for Arbeloa, or an understudy, and a possible replacement for Agger.

Really people that's all we need. If you think we need to argue for other positions, put forth your objections in a factual manner and it can be discussed, but there's just been too many, "Buy David Villa! Him and Fernando played well in Euro 08! Also get Franck Ribery! I bought him in FIFA/FM 09 and he's amazing! We also need Robben! And Walcott! And Tevez!" Suggestions just aren't being fully fleshed out =/
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #343: Mar 27, 2009 04:20:31 am
      Also think of our replacement for Gerrard when he's out.

Why are you worried about that already?He has still got 4-5 years of top football left in him if not more.By that time I believe Rafa would find some suitable replacement.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #344: Mar 27, 2009 11:23:35 am
      Why are you worried about that already?He has still got 4-5 years of top football left in him if not more.By that time I believe Rafa would find some suitable replacement.

I think he meant when he's out injured rather than out of the team. as in not playing anymore  :-\

Quick Reply