Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Our mark of respect on April 15th

Read 14819 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Our mark of respect on April 15th
      Mar 05, 2009 06:30:31 pm
      As you all know this anniversary marks 20 years since that dark day at Hillsborough. I think as a mark of respect from everyone on this forum that maybe between the hours of 2 and 4 we shut down. Is this possible? I know many, me included, wont be bothered posting from around 3 anyway as it will genuinely be the last thing on our minds to post about football so maybe it should be discussed between the mods.

I hope you dont think im to over the top with this suggestion. Thank you
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Our mark of respect on April 15th
      Reply #1: Mar 05, 2009 06:41:04 pm
      Sounds right Brian - I remember last year JD closed the forum between 3 and 4PM as a sign of respect.

I'll certainly back this idea, it's the very least we can do.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2: Mar 05, 2009 07:28:15 pm
      I think that's a very nice gesture Brian, and I fully support any shutdown of the site.

I am actually planning on going to Anfield that day to pay my respects in person, if anyone would like to join me on the day, I would be only to pleased to have your company on what will be a very sad  and emotional day.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #3: Mar 05, 2009 08:49:02 pm
      We did it last year and we will do it again this year.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #4: Mar 05, 2009 10:33:29 pm
      Great idea their Brian. Its will be a very sad day and this is the least we can do for those who lost their lives. YNWA
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: Mar 06, 2009 07:27:44 am
      I think that's a very nice gesture Brian, and I fully support any shutdown of the site.

I am actually planning on going to Anfield that day to pay my respects in person, if anyone would like to join me on the day, I would be only to pleased to have your company on what will be a very sad  and emotional day.

Will probably be there again this year MsG, last year, me, Kenny, Joey and Tommo went and it was a lovely service.  It falls on a Wednesday, so will try and skive off the afternoon from work.  Any idea what time it starts ? I can't remember it from last year.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #6: Mar 06, 2009 08:46:39 am
      Will probably be there again this year MsG, last year, me, Kenny, Joey and Tommo went and it was a lovely service.  It falls on a Wednesday, so will try and skive off the afternoon from work.  Any idea what time it starts ? I can't remember it from last year.

I remember you going last year Smiggs, I think it started about 2pm ??? not sure though, I'm sure they'll announce it very soon.
      redtiptoe
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts |
      Reply #7: Mar 13, 2009 10:06:43 am
      Excellant idea.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,005 posts | 3352 
      Reply #8: Mar 13, 2009 04:21:18 pm
      I'll be at Anfield for the service meself, but closing the site down for a while is still a great idea and shows respect. Maybe just as a nice touch, closing it down for 96 minutes (just over an hour and a half) would be suitable.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #9: Mar 13, 2009 10:49:13 pm
      closing it down for 96 minutes (just over an hour and a half)

Thanks for the bit in brackets, although I did learn how many minutes were in an hour about 27 years ago. ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,005 posts | 3352 
      Reply #10: Mar 13, 2009 11:45:15 pm
      Thanks for the bit in brackets, although I did learn how many minutes were in an hour about 27 years ago. ;)

Well people forget things when they get old, so I thought I'd remind you ;)
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #11: Mar 14, 2009 12:30:24 am
      Great idea.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #12: Mar 14, 2009 12:50:08 am
      I'll be at Anfield for the service meself, but closing the site down for a while is still a great idea and shows respect. Maybe just as a nice touch, closing it down for 96 minutes (just over an hour and a half) would be suitable.

I like the idea DLS.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #13: Mar 14, 2009 01:06:40 am
      On this occasion I'm going to stay home with my family. With it being the 20th anniversary I can imagine there might be a lot more people turning up than usual and I'd hate to take the seat of anyone who was there on that tragic day.

As for the forum and website downtime, I think it should be 116 minutes.

YNWA - Justice.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #14: Mar 14, 2009 09:53:34 am
      On this occasion I'm going to stay home with my family. With it being the 20th anniversary I can imagine there might be a lot more people turning up than usual and I'd hate to take the seat of anyone who was there on that tragic day.

You've made me think twice about coming up now Kenny  :-\
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: Mar 14, 2009 10:46:21 am
      You should both still go. Im sure the families will be seated. So the only people you might deprive a seat to is other good reds. And sitting will be the last thing on peoples mind.

Very respecful of you to think of that tho
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #16: Mar 14, 2009 12:38:29 pm
      You've made me think twice about coming up now Kenny  :-\

Don't let me not going make you think twice MsG. There will obviously be no shortage of seats in reality. I just feel I'd like to be with my family this time around.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #17: Mar 15, 2009 11:34:19 pm
      A nice touch to show our respects,im certainly gonna try to be in Liverpool on the day and  pay my personal respects..
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #18: Mar 16, 2009 02:47:00 am
      If i can make it i'll either try to get to Anfield or even Hillsborough itself as they're both equal distances for me pretty much.

Anfield will be most likely though as some family members will probably be going so i'll come pay my respects with them i feel.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #19: Mar 16, 2009 08:03:05 pm
      I can't really get to Anfield on a weekday afternoon so, since I live in Sheffield, I might head over to the memorial at Hillsborough and pay my own personal respects.
      Robbie May
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #20: Mar 17, 2009 09:01:38 am
      get this floatin round

YNWA
      JFT96
      « Last Edit: Mar 17, 2009 03:56:46 pm by JD »
      rasahi
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts | -1 
      Reply #21: Mar 17, 2009 12:13:27 pm
      Anyway, during those hours, i wont be in the office posting or reading anything.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,094 posts | 8521 
      Reply #22: Mar 18, 2009 03:35:22 pm
      And remind Uefa and the FA that we should NEVER, EVER play a game on the 15th.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #23: Mar 18, 2009 08:22:02 pm
      We should all attend if at all possible. For the families.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #24: Mar 20, 2009 11:50:41 am
      Another year gone and still we get silence from those who should be apologising. Anyone who can get to Anfield should go to give the Family's and the supporters who were thier your backing, the more backing the more it will be in the publics eye, if only to say we will never give it up or go away until you admit what was done that day...................96 never to be forgotten............... .....
      rasahi
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts | -1 
      Reply #25: Mar 21, 2009 09:28:24 am
      It is good and confirmed that Liverpool would not play on that day. But just to make sure we will already kick out Chelsea in CL
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #26: Mar 21, 2009 03:35:46 pm
      I'm taking time off work and travelling up from London for the service at Anfield. I'm a RED and feel it's only right to be there to show support for the friends and families of those affected since that dark day in Liverpools' history.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #27: Mar 22, 2009 08:09:43 pm
      I will be going up to the Blackburn game from Hampshire on the 11th and will pay my respects at the ground then. Great idea about the forum. For thoise who attended the service please if you get a chance pass on my respects and love and best wishes. YNWA
      MsGerrard
      Reply #28: Mar 25, 2009 08:00:23 pm
      2009 HILLSBOROUGH MEMORIAL SERVICE DETAILS

Liverpool Football Club 25 March 2009

Wednesday 15th April 2009 marks the 20th anniversary of the disaster in Sheffield that cost 96 fellow fans their lives.
      As is the custom, the Hillsborough Family Support Group will be organising a memorial service to mark the occasion and to remember those who died.

The service will be inter-denominational and will take place on the Kop at Anfield. It will commence at 2.45pm, include a two minute silence at 3.06pm and conclude at about 3.30pm with the singing of 'You'll Never Walk Alone'.

Tickets are not required and Liverpool Football Club extends an open invitation to you to join the families, the Directors, officials and players plus thousands of fellow football fans in our annual act of remembrance.

This year is expected to be exceptionally well attended and we would ask that you allow adequate time and plan to be in early. Entrances will be open at 2.00pm, on both sides of the Kop. In the event of the Kop being full for this occasion, extra seating will be provided in the Lower Centenary Stand.

A candle will be lit to remember each individual life that was extinguished prematurely and we rely upon the eternal flame of the Hillsborough Memorial to burn some light into the darkest night.

For many, Wednesday April 15th will be just a normal working day and there will be others who are unable to attend - despite wishing otherwise but everyone is invited to join us in spirit and spare a thought, say a private prayer or even light a candle in their minds.
      « Last Edit: Mar 26, 2009 05:09:52 am by ayrton77, Reason: Fixed headline »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,094 posts | 8521 
      Reply #29: Mar 26, 2009 10:52:40 am
      Will be attending with my brother and mum, just like we did 20 years ago, when we went down on the Tuesday after the disaster to lay flowers and a few other little bits.
      Never actually been to the service before, most of the time have been working, or just felt like I was intruding on someone else's grief.

With it being the 20th anniversary, I've decided it's about time I attended.

YNWA & RIP The 96.
      karlp606
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #30: Mar 27, 2009 08:25:47 pm
      Good Idea, maybe we could all write posts before in the memory of the 96 that could be shown on the site between 2 and 4pm?

Justice for 96
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #31: Mar 27, 2009 08:31:25 pm
      Never actually been to the service before, most of the time have been working, or just felt like I was intruding on someone else's grief.

YNWA & RIP The 96.

Its a very moving and emotional service HuytonRed, and I imagine this will be even more moving with it being the 20th anniversary.  All the players and staff attend along with all the families, and a candle is lit individually for everyone that perished as their name is read out.  Prayers are given and hymns are sung and it is finished off with YNWA, it had me in tears last year.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #32: Mar 27, 2009 09:24:02 pm
      The Hillsborough service is a very emotional experience. If it does not get to you, then, you have gone for the wrong reason.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #33: Mar 27, 2009 09:37:57 pm

YNWA & RIP The 96.

Same here Huyton Red, looking forward to paying my respects, I think I'll have to have plenty of tissues with me by the sound of things though.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #34: Mar 28, 2009 02:16:37 am
      I wasnt even two when this happened but ive read and felt the pain just like i was there or a family member of my own was there, i feel very selfish not being there but at the same time selfish for being there despite not being around or anything! =/
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #35: Mar 28, 2009 07:24:55 am
      Good idea. It's like a minute of silence but on a forum.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #36: Mar 29, 2009 12:11:38 am
      This is very sad and upsetting........Mods if you don't feel it appropriate then please delete, the music is very haunting, we mustn't ever forget what happened that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=1q47bOtV3-Y#
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #37: Mar 29, 2009 05:34:43 am
      Nothing will ever really be appropriate anymore will it MsG. Have to admit though, that was a tough video to watch. Images from that day haunt me. But it's important that we all don't forget what happened that day. No matter how hard it is, the fight for justice goes on.

The fella on his own sitting on the pitch with his head in his hands - he must never walk alone. And that's just one single person.

Our mark of respect on April 15th this year will be a true one.
      lizzieroz
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      Reply #38: Mar 29, 2009 11:14:14 am
      As Kenny said, it was tough to watch, but we mustn't forget what happened, and the fight must go on.

A lot of the younger members of the forum, and some of our international members, won't have seen the terrible events unfolding, or seen that kind of footage in the media at the time, and it may help them to understand the true scale of the tragedy that happened that day

RIP 96

YNWA
      ianred4ever
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #39: Mar 29, 2009 11:24:38 am
      i was only twelve when this happened but remember it like it was only a few weeks ago watching that film just brought all the raw emotion back.
      I have spoken to my bosses in work and they have allowed me to have a couple of hours off work from 2.30 on the 15th so i can pay my respect
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #40: Mar 30, 2009 01:17:15 pm
      wow i wasnt there and that vid was tough to watch
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #41: Mar 30, 2009 01:35:42 pm
      Watching that video brought tears to my eyes. Just really cant comment anyfurther.

So many young lives lost there people my age and younger truly frightening.

YNWA
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #42: Mar 30, 2009 02:09:37 pm
      Listened to the song the wife got just broke down in tears.

YNWA.....96.....WE WILL NEVER FORGET.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,005 posts | 3352 
      Reply #43: Mar 31, 2009 03:28:58 pm
      A very touching vid there MsG and it does hit home why the fight for justice must continue. We won't forget those 96 and we all should give a thought for those who also suffered both physically and mentally that day as well.

96 lives lost, too many to count who have had their lives ruined because of the 15/4/89.

Quick Reply