Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

SOS - mass meeting Sunday 1st Feb 09 and unexpected talks with Gillett

Read 9261 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      SOS - mass meeting Sunday 1st Feb 09 and unexpected talks with Gillett
      Jan 21, 2009 04:00:36 pm
      Spirit Of Shankly, the Liverpool Supporters Union, are pleased to announce details of our next Mass Meeting, to take place on Sunday 1st February, prior to the Chelsea game.

Starting at 12pm, at Zeligs in Liverpool One, the meeting provides an opportunity for us to feed back to members on the present position of the Union and for us to discuss recent matters with members, involving the current ownership and running of the football club, as well as other important issues. If you would like to discuss a particular topic at the meeting, please email details of this to admin@spiritofshankly.com along with your views, or raise the issues at the meeting as "Any other Business".

We will endeavour to ensure all topics are discussed. We are currently enquiring via Arriva about the possibility of running additional bus services to Anfield from Paradise Street, following the meeting. For any fans remaining in the City Centre to watch the match, the owner of The Raven (Albert Dock), a Union member, has offered a free complimentary drink (on production of a voucher to be distributed at the meeting) to anyone watching the match there.

We note the continuing stories in the newspapers about the ongoing situation regarding the manager, Rafael Benitez, and his proposed new contract. We believe such a situation could have, and should have been avoided, by a much improved running of Liverpool Football Club. This, we believe, is only fully achievable by new owners along with a new board. Regardless of opinions on individuals, the position of manager of Liverpool Football Club should not be undermined, especially during this crucial stage of the season and while we are challenging for silverware. This subject and future direct action will be discussed in full at the meeting.

Spirit Of Shankly
      « Last Edit: Feb 02, 2009 03:21:06 pm by redkenny »
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Re: SOS - mass meeting Sunday 1st Feb 09
      Reply #1: Jan 21, 2009 04:15:32 pm
      I'll be there
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2: Jan 21, 2009 08:04:01 pm
      This your inauguration then Kenny ?   :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Jan 21, 2009 09:25:11 pm
      This your inauguration then Kenny ?   :D

:lmao: :lmao:

Hopefully I'll be there.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #4: Jan 21, 2009 09:30:17 pm
      Kenny Obama - got a good ring to it that Ken  ;) :D :D

You sound like one of 'The Real Thing', remember them ?  :D
      Tosh
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      Reply #5: Jan 30, 2009 12:56:20 am
      I'm going - no ticket yet so might stay all afternoon
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #6: Jan 30, 2009 03:30:54 am

We note the continuing stories in the newspapers about the ongoing situation regarding the manager, Rafael Benitez, and his proposed new contract. We believe such a situation could have, and should have been avoided, by a much improved running of Liverpool Football Club. This, we believe, is only fully achievable by new owners along with a new board. Regardless of opinions on individuals, the position of manager of Liverpool Football Club should not be undermined, especially during this crucial stage of the season and while we are challenging for silverware. This subject and future direct action will be discussed in full at the meeting.

Spirit Of Shankly

Very true, at least lets back our manager because this is a crucial part of the season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #7: Jan 30, 2009 09:49:44 pm
      Any representatives from Share Liverpool FC going to be there?  I had an email from them before.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Jan 31, 2009 03:13:03 am
      Mass Meeting to be held at Zeligs, Liverpool One

Sunday 1st February 2009 at 12:00pm.

AGENDA

1. Introduction and welcome from the Chairman
      2. Michael Shields update. From Michael Shields Snr & Cllr Joe Anderson
      3. Administration update
      4. Events update
      5. Travel update
      6. Update on present ownership situation
      7. Action
      8. Any other business & Question and Answers.

All topics sent in to Union Admin to be raised, shall be discussed here if not already spoken about.

Spirit of Shankly has also spoken to local bus provider Arriva who will be putting on extra buses (number 26) from Paradise Street facing the venue.

The bar prices at the meeting in Zeligs will also be reduced by 15-20%

TNAwrestling
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts |
      • Cross The Line
      Reply #9: Jan 31, 2009 03:52:29 pm
      im a member of the official liverpool supporters group, merseyside branch, we more often than not have our meetings in te paisley suite at anfield, just wondering how it works, was thinking of checking it out tomorrow n going the raven, just wondering if u need membership and what other stuff for me to know on a first visit
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #10: Feb 01, 2009 08:18:59 pm
      im a member of the official liverpool supporters group, merseyside branch, we more often than not have our meetings in te paisley suite at anfield, just wondering how it works, was thinking of checking it out tomorrow n going the raven, just wondering if u need membership and what other stuff for me to know on a first visit

Did you go mate?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #11: Feb 02, 2009 03:19:54 pm
      Right. Get onto the unexpected meeting with Gillett yesterday. It seems the soft c**t is on Rafa's case again.....

Some interesting points about selling the club too.

Details of the meeting yesterday

Spirit Of Shankly Meeting, Sunday 1st February 2009

Spirit Of Shankly, the Liverpool Supporters' Union, held its latest Mass meeting yesterday, just over a year since the initial meeting which saw the formation of the Union. Approximately 500 members were in attendance. There were various items discussed, and the meeting progressed as follows:

1 – Introduction from the Chair

Paul Rice welcomed all to the meeting, and began by raising a glass and everyone in attendance joined in, to Bobby Wilcox well known and respected Liverpool fan who recently passed away. Thanks from the family and friends of Bobby were passed onto Spirit Of Shankly and all members for the support and sympathy given to the family.

2 – Michael Shields Update

It was explained that despite the good news we had received before Christmas, with High Court judges ruling Jack Straw does have the power to free Michael, the ongoing battle to have Michael freed is continuing as Mr Straw shows no signs of giving a decision yet. There has been a proposal for fans to travel to Blackburn to hold an alternative to Jack Straw's regular soapbox meetings in the town centre, and once details are finalised, members will be informed.

3 – Administration Update

Sam Armstrong, who has worked tremendously on dealing with Administration for the Union passed on the following message –

All those who joined prior to 10th January 2009, should have received their pack, those living outside of the UK are advised it may take slightly longer. Any one who has joined since, their packs are currently being processed. If anyone has not received their pack and has joined before 10th January, they should email admin@spiritofshankly.com, and include their name, when and how they joined and any other relevant information. Any emails sent in December have been answered, unless it was a specific query which has required further attention. Emails sent in January are being worked on, some having had an answer; others will still be waiting, but will receive answers soon. If any members have not been receiving emails, or have any further queries they are asked to email admin@spiritofshankly.com, explaining their query.

4 – Events Update

Stephen Monaghan gave a detailed review of the success of Union Events to date, including the End of Season Bash, Sportsmans Evening with Joey Jones (who it was re-iterated is a member and supporter of the Union) and the Michael Shields Benefit Night. Stephen thanked all those who had worked on the events and those who had made them a success. He explained that the next events planned, were the End of Season Bash, where hopefully we will be celebrating number 19, and a screening of the new Awaydays film for Union members, with final details on dates and times to be announced.

5 – Travel Update

Alan Kayll was thanked for his work he had done previously in role as Travel Officer. Kieth Culvin went onto explain that the coaches were running well, and that we would be going to Portsmouth so anyone wanting to book can do so at anytime. Price is only £20. Kieth explained that there have been a few difficulties in arranging air travel to European games, due to the cost of securing the required ATOL number. He explained other alternatives have been looked at and that they had approached major airlines about the possibility of working with them, but as yet to no avail. If any members have any ideas or believe they can help, please suggest your ideas by emailing admin@spiritofshankly.com or contacting travel on 07511569783.

6 – Update on Present Ownership Situation

Paul Rice gave an update on the Present Situation. It was explained that despite initial plans to target RBS, continuing to target them could be detrimental to the club. The Americans had been granted the 6 month extension, but following talks with banking experts, it was explained that should the Americans fail to repay, or sell the club, RBS would take control as we know. They would then have freedom to do whatever they please with the club, and as well as selling this to less than suitable investors, they could quite easily place the club into administration. Fans asked why we hadn't proposed action for today's meeting, and Paul explained that we had discussed it but we wanted the proposals of the membership and for them to vote, on what can be an emotive issue. One fan asked if it was true that when we met the manager Rafael Benitez had asked us not to protest during the game; Paul confirmed Benitez had asked us to consider whether we should protest during the game as he felt it could affect the players. Benitez was told we respect his opinion, but any decision would be down to the members. Paul reminded those present that prior to meeting Benitez, a decision had already been taken following meetings, and matches, not to protest inside the ground, so we were acting upon the wishes of members and not Benitez. It was explained that according to our sources, Kuwait were interested in buying the club, and that it may be the last time the American owners are both at the same game.

The situation regarding today was then discussed, as to whether we should be protesting today or in the future. Members had their say, with some of the opinion that it was too much short notice, whilst others believed we should do what we can, whilst we can. Following discussions it was agreed we should do something.

7 – Action

A member was then tipped off that George Gillett was in the Crowne Plaza hotel just down the road, whilst Hicks had already left hid hotel. There were numerous proposals put forward for action. Voting took place, and it was agreed to protest at the Crowne Plaza after the meeting ended, and to protest after full time in the Main Stand Car Park outside the Directors Entrance. Details on how this went can be found below.

8 – Any other business

There were issues raised as to how we could involve overseas and out of town support, and Paul Rice explained the new structure in place for the committee following the AGM would address this and similar issues.

A question was asked as to what the Union would be doing to mark the 20th Anniversary of Hillsborough. Paul Rice explained that this was an issue we would be involved in although no plans have yet been agreed.

Yesterdays Protest and Action

Following the conclusion of the meeting, fans made their way down to the Crowne Plaza hotel. On entering the hotel to see if George Gillett was indeed there, fans were surprised to see him sitting unaware in the corner. He was questioned by numerous fans in a direct manner as to why he was still at the club and would he be selling his stake. Gillett offered no answer immediately, and looked surprised that fans had turned up. When asked by a committee member if he would be answering any questions, Gillett said he would answer questions from him and invited him to ask questions. Fans were then ushered outside, and despite initially agreeing to be asked outside to answer questions, Gillett was advised not to by others. Fans chanted, showing their anger and frustration about the American ownership whilst questions were asked of Gillett. This is what happened:

"I told him all the fans who were outside and thousands more were angry and upset at how he and Tom Hicks were running the club.

"He looked shocked and asked me why. I told him he knew why, because he met Spirit Of Shankly before the Manchester United game.

"I said 'fans see it as you have made three promises and broken them'. So he asked me what they were.

"The first one was the debt on the football club. I told him his partner Tom Hicks promised it would not be like the Glazer takeover at Manchester United, and to fans that meant no debt on the club.

"He claimed to be unaware and asked what I meant. I told him they had bought the club and then placed the debt for buying the club onto the club.

"He claimed this was at the 'request of the banks' and they were in a 'sound financial position' with 'revenue per pound or dollar in ratio to the debt' better than at any other football club.

"When I asked about the extension to July, he claimed that was false and no-one else knew the true details because they were kept confidential.

"The second one was backing the manager and then not doing so. I said they said they would back the manager, so why had they approached Jürgen Klinsmann about the position of manager?

"He then went onto claim they had met with the manager, who told them he was to have discussions with 'three other teams' about joining them and they approached Klinsmann to have him in place to work as a 'consultant at the club' if Benitez left them.

"I asked why they had approached Klinsmann, because his pedigree was not one that immediately made fans sit up and take note.

"He claimed Klinsmann had a brilliant track record, and he had excellent marketing talent, having close links with those at Adidas, Nike and Reebok and the benefits of him being at Liverpool.

"I asked who the three clubs were, but he refused to answer.

"The third one was the stadium. I told Gillett the situation with the stadium angered fans, because Gillett himself had promised a spade in the ground in 60 days, and it still had not happened.

"He denied making this claim and said it was a 'made-up quote by the media' and he would be interested to see such a quote.

"I asked why work on the stadium dragged on before they finally blamed the credit crunch for it not happening.

"He claimed they had spent £100m on the stadium so far and were still working with designers, architects and planners.

"I asked why they were spending the club's money on this and he claimed it was coming from himself and Tom Hicks and not the club.

"I asked if the club's accounts would show and support this when they are released, and he said yes. "Gillett then claimed all transfer fees to date had been met by himself and Tom.

"He said when they bought the club, they were told about the 'Liverpool Way'.

"I asked if he felt they had been true custodians as they promised. Gillett told me he 'had tried, but it had been difficult' and they had 'done what they could'.

"I asked why he could not speak for Hicks because he was his partner.

"He said that 'husband and wife can say different things but one does not get the blame'.

"I explained they were both responsible, and he was not happy at being blamed.

"I asked why he was in partnership with Hicks. He said Hicks and himself had worked together well for six years in other businesses such as food, but this is different because the media are involved.

"I asked, would he or Tom Hicks, or both, be selling their stakes in Liverpool. "Again, he told me he cannot speak for Tom Hicks. I asked, had there been any offers for the club, and were they currently meeting anyone about it?

He told me: 'Yes, there have been expressions of interest and some negotiation'.

"I asked who with, and he told me he could not tell me that. I asked would he sell, and he admitted he was 'open to it', but he could not speak for Hicks.

"I then went to walk away, and he came after me saying, 'A few weeks ago, we were in first position, then a certain individual from the club attacked another individual from another club, and, since then, we have lost form and slid down the league.'

"I was stunned, and asked if he was blaming Benitez as a result, and in saying that, was he not backing the manager?

"Rather than confirm or deny as I expected, he replied 'that's your implication', before I walked away and back outside to the real world."

According to Gillett, the claim of a spade in the ground was a "made up quote by the media" and he would like to see such a quote. If George Gillett or anyone else would like to watch the following clip, notably the first 30 seconds - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cMyKZjxmjQE#hq

After the match concluded, fans gathered in the Main Stand Car Park, where we protested before dispersing later on. We understand that the short notice for such action, and deciding upon it on the day meant some fans were unable to join in. The decision was made at the meeting based on information we had just been told and we had to act quickly. We also wanted to ensure it was members who decided on what action to take.

We would also like to tell members that we will always endeavour to ensure information about action or outcomes is relayed to them first, and not via the media. We apologise for that not happening in this instance.

Spirit Of Shankly
      MsGerrard
      Re: SOS - mass meeting Sunday 1st Feb 09 and unexpected talks with Gillett
      Reply #12: Feb 02, 2009 05:57:11 pm
      Parry had a lot to say in that clip didn't he  :o  Was it just me or did he look extremely uncomfortable  :-\

I tell you what I would loved to have seen Gillette's face when all those Liverpool fans piled into the Crowne Plaza  :lmao:

I can't believe what he said about Rafa............talk about stabbing your Manager in the back.............two faced yank  :angry-smiley-034:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #13: Feb 02, 2009 09:39:47 pm
      I tell you what I would loved to have seen Gillette's face when all those Liverpool fans piled into the Crowne Plaza  :lmao:

Awwh it's a picture Cas! It's in todays Echo. He looks like he's literally shat himself!!

See if I can find it.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #14: Feb 02, 2009 09:48:00 pm
      Awwh it's a picture Cas! It's in todays Echo. He looks like he's literally shat himself!!

See if I can find it.

Nice one Kenny.........look forward to seeing that.........I assume it will be in the funny picture thread   :P
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #15: Feb 02, 2009 10:09:03 pm
      MsGerrard
      Reply #16: Feb 02, 2009 10:12:49 pm

Excellent  :lmao: :lmao: Just take a look at that gobsmacked face.

Bet that knocked the stuffing out of him eh  :laugh:

Good stuff Kenny  ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #17: Feb 03, 2009 01:16:30 am
      Is right is all I can say.

Lying pair of shites.  Start the stadium in 60 days and then deny it. How could he deny it when it was in his first Liverpool press conference.

These people are a joke.  I think I would rather have RBS in charge.  The club would never ever be placed in to administration.  That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  I suggest SOS talk to some other banking experts.
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Reply #18: Feb 05, 2009 01:49:44 pm
      I went the meeting and took part in both actions, at the crown plaza and the main stand car park after the match. Though I did'nt get in the hotel, a few lads did as well as committee members and gave him the inquisitiion in the hotel lobby.

That picture in the Echo is class, Gillett looks like he's seen a ghost. But he's a weasel, a liar and a bad shithouse. Hicks, Parry and Moores are also equally culpable.

JD i saw Rogan Taylor leave before the meeting, but he did'nt take part in it. Though ShareLFC was mentioned.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #19: Feb 17, 2009 10:56:20 pm
      "I asked, would he or Tom Hicks, or both, be selling their stakes in Liverpool. "Again, he told me he cannot speak for Tom Hicks. I asked, had there been any offers for the club, and were they currently meeting anyone about it?

He told me: 'Yes, there have been expressions of interest and some negotiation'.

"I asked who with, and he told me he could not tell me that. I asked would he sell, and he admitted he was 'open to it', but he could not speak for Hicks.

I suppose there is some good news here. The 'some negotiation' part is interesting? That to me sounds like he is definitely trying to sell his share.

I live in hope!
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #20: Feb 17, 2009 11:03:31 pm
      Yeah, that 'negotiation' sounds promising. Maybe that will develop in the near future.

But what he said, trying to imply that Rafa is to blame for what is going wrong at the club, is just a downright lie and won't do him any favours.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,127 posts | 2772 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #21: Mar 12, 2009 07:11:06 pm
      I recieved this Email yesterday:

4th of April is the date set. Time TBC.

If you’re Irish and a Liverpool fan then this is a must, the union will be advising us of what is happening and explaining their goals.

Please attend, the venue is the Submarine bar in Crumlin Dublin 12.

5 Union members will be attending along with Karen Gill, Bill Shankly’s granddaughter who has expressed a massive interest in how the union is moving forward and especially in Liverpool fans in Ireland.

Nicky Allt, Peter Hooton, Keith Culvin, Steve Monoghan and Frank Bentley.

The union recently held a night in Oslo, the Oslo branch has an amazing 32000 members in their branch, unfortunately though due to about 5 feet of snow there was only about 100 in attendance.

From speaking in depth with Nicky, Keith & Mono (Steve Monoghan) they are 100% committed in making Ireland and Irish Liverpool fans there right hand place and Irish members will greatly benefit, apart from setting their aims out, the union want to discuss how we can benefit from being in the union for travelling to European away matches, domestic away matches and trips to Anfield itself.

The union will want to go through the ownership of our club, the discussions they have had with Hicks & Gillette, Rick Parry and also Rafa. The union has had intense meetings with the above and will be able to shed light on to what exactly is happening.

All questions will be welcomed by the Union members from the floor.

I would ask as many people to attend as Ireland and Irish Liverpool fans can have a real say going forward in what they want as a voice.

Get your Irish arses down there

Quick Reply