Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Your brush with the Liverpool players??

Read 115932 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Your brush with the Liverpool players??
      Reply #23: Dec 12, 2006 10:57:11 pm
      See, Court, you got it now ??  ;) ;D
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #24: Dec 12, 2006 11:08:00 pm
      Me thinks so ;D
      castleman
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      • we will never walk alone we will always be here
      Reply #25: Dec 19, 2006 08:54:06 pm
      i once worked for parceline 86-93 met john barnes and his family on allerton rd at the time he had his full leg inplaster and on crutch's he could'nt run away from me  :D i also had the great pleasure of delivering their seasons kit when it was supplied by umbro  ;D i also did the blues  :-[ but had a laugh to myself when i went to bellfield walked upstairs to the offices and told the staff i had a parcel for howard kendal acting as if ididn't know who he was >:D
      paddyb
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #26: Dec 21, 2006 06:47:42 pm
      my story involves the 2 liverpool legends that are phil babb and jason mcateer,its not in the slightest bit interesting but thats who i met,oh yeah,and gary kelly was there as well.
      it was around 96/97 when those 3 were affectionatly known as the 3 amigos in ireland ::) myself and a couple of mates were walking around dublins o connell street at about 2 or 3 in the morning,we were teenagers with nothing better to do ;D
      any how who stumbles towards us only the 3 amigos,well oiled i may add,i have to add that the 3 of them were really nice and they managed to take the various slaggings they got in good spirits,the spirits they had been drinking may have had something to do with that tho :food-smiley-005: :cool-smiley-027:
      just thinking about it now,they must have been over for an international,hardly great preperation for a match ::)
      homestrip
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      • If you wanna keep it, you win it 5 times!!
      Reply #27: Jan 15, 2007 06:10:41 pm
      As part of my local LFC supporters club anniversary bash, Aldo and Ronnie Whelan are coming to our meeting on Sunday. Will post and let ye know how it goes.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #28: Jan 15, 2007 06:11:34 pm
      As part of my local LFC supporters club anniversary bash, Aldo and Ronnie Whelan are coming to our meeting on Sunday. Will post and let ye know how it goes.

would love that - dead jelous,  hope the reds win on sat thern can have a gloat !!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #29: May 25, 2007 03:11:09 pm
      Really good reading all this, meeting the players, I've been dead lucky in the past, as I used to go to a sports exhibition at the NEC in Birmingham and met Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness, Alan Hansen and Sammy Lee, we had just won the European Cup in 1978 and I had a photo of Kenny in bed with the Euro Cup which he signed for me, I will treasure that forever. Also met Kevin Keegan, he was dead nice and always had time for the kids.

Met the players a few times in the Holiday Inn in Liverpool, sat at the bar and had a drink with Ian Rush.
      Also went to Bill Shankly's funeral.
      Best of all Jimmy Case took me out in his car.
      Met loads of the players at Melwood in the 1980's, got cine film (god, how old is that)  of them training, can you imagine being able to do that now.
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #30: May 25, 2007 04:11:49 pm
      Here is my story!

Ive met quite a fair few players including the "almost commonly met" John Barnes! But the main man is Peter Beardsley. My family were in London (Mum, Dad, Bro, Me), I wasnt very old at the time about 10 years old. Anyway, my mum spotted him, so my Dad walks up to him like he is any other bloke. Peter was with his daughter throwing a rugby ball. My Dad said "Hello Peter, My 2 lads want to meet you. You dont mind?" and Beardsley replied "no, no. Hello lads." Anyway, my Dad told him that I was a Liverpool fan and my younger brother a Newcastle fan, Beardsley's 2 former clubs. So we got chatting and he said, "Have you ever been to see Newcastle." My Dad said "No. It is impossible getting tickets." So he said, "Ok...hmmm", Peter asked if we had a pen and yes we did and my Dad gave it to him. And Peter wrote down a number. "Ok, here is my number. Anytime you want to come down, just give me a ring." We got his autograph, the usual stuff and we went off after a long chat with Peter.

My Mum and Dad presumed it was just a Newcastle ticket hotline... Turns out, it was Peter Beardsley's Private number!!! (The heart starts pumping away ;D). So we got back, and knowing me dad, he gives Peter a ring. I expected Peter to forget but shockingly he remembers us clearly, weeks after our London trip. (My Dad's name is Peter to), so Beardsley picked up the phone and said "Hello! Peter, How are ya?" So they got talking. My Dad came out, couldnt believe it, "Peter Beardsley's only gone and got us tickets!" So later that year we went up on the train to watch Newcastle Vs Birmingham! We didnt expect to see him, the tickets would be at the desk, we'd pay him through cheque, watch the match and go our seperate ways. However! This is the shocking part, yes even more shocking than the last part! Peter rang my Dad whilst we were on the train and gave him some News. "Peter, with your permision, Ive organised for the boys to be ball boys! Also they can meet the players and walk out onto the pitch." I WAS GOBSMACKED! Whats the catch ;D!!!

So we got there and he was there waiting for us! Peter took us onto the pitch, we had photos with him by the club photographer and then we went inside to get ready for the game. We were all kitted up and watched the game whilst doing our job as ball boys! After the match, we went inside and Peter got us to meet all the players! I had a chat with Alan Shearer, met Craig Bellamy, Given, the lot! IT WAS INCREDIBLE!!! So, after everyone went home, we went outside and met Peter. We thanked him sooo much and my Dad was about to pay him before the game for the tickets, but he said "No, no." Peter payed for the lot and also gave my Mum and Dad his comfy seats right next to his brother.

How awesome is that, all I can say is Peter Beardsley is one hell of a bloke and very very kind. He made me and my brother live a dream which we will NEVER forget and it didnt happen once. Peter got us to do it a second time Newcastle Vs Arsenal, in which i met Henry, Ash Cole, Pires, Ljungberg, Wenger etc. It was equally amazing.

We are still in touch with Peter to this date. A great guy gave us 2 great moments, as I said, I will treasure them forever.

Thats my story.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #31: May 26, 2007 03:24:09 pm
      There was this one time I was in town with a few mates, late Sunday afternoon. Bumped into Stig Bjornebye and Michael Thomas, who were very much under the influence of alcohol, at the top of Victoria St. It was ok though because it was in the summer  ;)
      For the short time I was a steward I used to be on the players entrance before a game and when they'd be getting off the coach, some of us had to take bags off the coach and put them in the dressing room - with all the players being in there. Very surreal!
      Ronnie Whelan's mother in law used to live round the corner from me when I was a kid, so used to see him on a pretty regular occurance.
      Probably my best memory is before the 86 FA Cup final, most of the team were getting their hair cut in the hairdressers on Muirhead Avenue, which was just down the road from me. I was down there like a shot wanting a haircut! They let me in, I got my haircut any old way and then I met the likes of Rush, Beglin, Nicol etc! That was brilliant!
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #32: May 27, 2007 12:41:03 pm
      Dunno if thi counts as he wasn't a player at the time.

But I used to play centre-forward with Carra. Known as James not Jamie then. I'm a couple of years older than him but he was that good he played for the school (St. James on Marsh Lane) team a few years above the year he was in.

Also on a Sunday morning we played up front for Merton Villa. Still have the pictures somewhere. One of them is a hoot as we were all so much taller than him, he looked out of place except when he got on the pitch. He was very quick and scored sackfulls of goals.

He only lived round the corner from me and was always in our street playing footie as his cousins lived in our street. We were always playing football on the school field

Seems strange thinkng back then wearing his Everton kit.

Haven't seen him for while though
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      Reply #33: May 28, 2007 12:08:43 pm
      Years ago when my knees could bend without cracking like hundred year old driftwood. I was privileged to play football for Merseyside youth and in 1977 or 78, we reached the finals of the county championship.

What a day, the final was against portsmouth boys and was played at wembley. It was even partly televised by itv's World Of Sport (Dickie Davis, what a knob) mainly because the "Stars Of The Day" showbiz eleven were to play a charity game before ours, I think this might even have been the first game of its type.

Anyway we kids were in awe of these so called superstars.....The Goodies, Blue Peter Presenters, Kid Jensen all the greats were their........and an ugly looking bugger with a sh*te voice.....yes Rod Stewart was in the team (at the time didn't know him from Adam)

Before the game Rod Stewart goes between the sticks and asks all and sundry to take some shots, by way of warm up. Everyone was firing the ball in from everywhere and when I stepped up, I didn't really look to see if Rod was ready for my thunderbolt. I've never kicked a ball as hard in my life, and by the time it roared off the penalty spot, Rod was turning round after picking a previous goal out of the net. My Stevie Gee special smacked him straight in the face, and lifted him straight into the goal, There was blood everywhere and the world and his wife was rushing round trying to stem the blood flow, from an even bigger nose than usual. He was really pissed at the time and I remember him arguing with fellas who I now realize were from the tele, telling them that "there is no way your going to show that on T.V."

To be honest I absolutely shat myself, and in our game that followed I was substituted after half an hour, coz my legs wouldn't move, and we got beat 2-1.

I did speak to Rod afterwards, he kept reassuring me that it wasn't my fault, it was a pure accident, and he gave me his bloodied shirt which Ive still got. God what a day and I still cringe now when I think about it.

Sorry its not about Red Men, but quite a story all the same!!!!!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #34: May 28, 2007 02:48:05 pm
      I met Phil Thompson in town outside Next! Only said hiya and I done one!

Also, a summer school thing in Archies took us to various trips like rock climbing, rafting and adventure days in Tord Vale! So me and me mates naturally signed up for the footy day out! Waking up, kitted out in me Liverpool gear and me astro trabs, I went the coach outside our school to be taken to our destination!

Turns out, without any indication of where we were going in the notes we got, we pulled up at The Academy where we got a two hour session, inside the indoor astroturf, from Stevie Heighway himself! I was buzzing and ran home to tell me aul-fella! Still got me certificate and everything!  8)
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      Reply #35: May 28, 2007 06:51:16 pm
      We are still in touch with Peter to this date. A great guy gave us 2 great moments, as I said, I will treasure them forever.

classic !!!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #36: May 28, 2007 07:21:40 pm
      We used to live next door to Joe Royle when i was a kid, he'd just been signed for the Blueshite !   There was kids around knocking on his door day and night for his autograph, must of drove the family nuts, they were dead nice though.  Many a time i've been tempted to get in touch with him for tickets etc, think he'd remember me as we knew the family well.   ;D 
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #37: May 28, 2007 08:33:24 pm
      For me, it was here in the USA. Liverpool was playing Roma in a friendly in July 2004. The game was being played at Giants Stadium. The NJ State Police provide security around the stadium and on the field. Finally I got my break and was picked to work overtime. I asked the Sgt in charge of the security detail if I could be posted on the field and provide security for the players coming out on to the field. Well I got to shake hands with my former favorite Liverpool player Michael Owen. He was real pleasant and signed my bullet proof vest. I didn't have the balls to ask him about the transfer rumors about him and Real Madrid. He scored that night, the game winner. I think it was the last goal he scored for Liverpool. It was a great goal. The only negative about that night was that Liverpool wore those ugly yellow and black shirts that night. For an American, being able to watch Liverpool in my state (Plus getting paid overtime $$$  :D) It was a great night.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #38: May 29, 2007 07:06:28 pm
      i seen sami Hyypia in the garage by ours once , the fella on the till printed us off a blank recipt so i could get sami to sign it. He was huge , dwarfed me anyway.

this season after the barca game i was waiting for the barca fans to come out so i could swap my scarf , and stephane henchoz bumped into me , i shook his hand!

At John Lennon airport when  i was waiting for my flight to Athens , i noticed Stan Collymore getting a munch at the burger king , i couldnt be bothered going up to him though , i was too tired. ;D
      ive also seen : Salif Diao , Ian St John and Robbie Fowler in his Liverpool trackie after a game v Southhampton away having a pint in the Rose of Mossley. (his Dad lives over the hill by LA Fitness)

o and for what its worth Tim Cahill in the lawndrette (got his autograph for my bro)
      ozzyred
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts |
      Reply #39: May 30, 2007 12:52:06 pm
      i met nick barmby at college in hull but he wasnt at liverpool then
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #40: May 30, 2007 10:11:59 pm
      great story welzy!!!!
      davie t
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 501 posts |
      Reply #41: May 30, 2007 11:10:30 pm
      About 12 years ago me mum youst to run the boxes at the ground. One day i met her after school and because the receptionist new me she told me were she was so i went up and she was talking to John Barns i was sooo exited i was only 13 at the time i shook his hand and just stood there i couldn't move he took me in the kitchen and gave me a can of lucasade i was dead chuffed.

Another day me brother met me mum and seen Kenny Dalglish and he gave him 2 quid.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #42: May 31, 2007 10:25:19 am
      i met rafa once and shook his hand the week before Istanbul and i told him to "bring the trophy back for us". i met a hople lot of reds in Omagh in Ireland. It was a match to raise money to fix up Omaghs streets after the Omaghs Bombings. a met Houllier and stantoun and Rednapp and none other than Michael Owen. At the time Owen was my boyhood hero but my dad asked if he could get into a photo with me but Michael told me da to "f**k off". I couldnt believe it. Last year i was coming back from my holidays in France and we were on the plane. a coloured fella was sitting beside me with an older man beside him. the lad was about 25. anyway i took no notice off him. i was wearing me reds top and anyways me da turns rounf and jokingly says "theirs cisse beside you". he was joking and then i turned me head to look at d colured fella and shouted "your djrbil cisse!" my dad told me to be quiet and i just kept sayn "Cisse". cisse looked round at me and shook my hand and signed a load of things for me and gave me one of his many Liverpool swaet bands. me and me dad couldnt believe it. me sis is 25 and fluent freanch and she spoke away to him in french and he thought she was french ;D

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #43: Nov 23, 2007 02:13:48 am
      Bump! Some great posts in here.

Surely someone must have tripped over Biscan while he was having a power nap before a game?  ;D
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #44: Nov 23, 2007 07:58:19 am
      I was on my way to the pictures with my girlfriend a few weeks back to go watch The Devil wears Prada. Anyone feel sorry for me? Anyway, me Dad dropped us off and away he went. Few mins down the road he went to top up on some petrol. Only to see Didi Hamman pull up in his Cobra! Me Dad got his fuel and went up to pay for it. Didi, was infront. And the woman on the till charged Didi for me Dads fuel along with the stuff Didi had bought and he was going f***ing nuts! Me Dad stepped in an confessed it was his, so they started talking. I think he had just got back from Manchester they got beat 4-2 I think. Me Dad shook his hand, my two Brothers shook his hand and met him.
      While me, few mins down the road... dragged into a film which was complete bollocks.
      Only four words is appropriate.
      I was f***ing gutted.

Didi was probably going nuts because he's tight i.e. he doesn't like to spend his money!  I didn't really believe these type of allegations about Didi, but some of the stories are so far fetched that they've got to be true e.g. One night i ordered a private hire taxi, and got talking to the driver.  He told that he'd been close to finishing in the early hours one Sunday morning, and while driving out of Liverpool town centre he noticed Didi Hamman swaying up the road trying to flag a taxi, therfore, he pulled over and offered to take Didi wherever it was he was going as apparently Didi had drunk a lot more than he had planned on drinking and was unable to drive home, at least that's what the taxi driver alleged that he said.  Anyway, Didi was going home and lived on the Wirral so the taxi driver was expecting a pretty tidy payment.  He claimed that he had told Didi that he was a staunch Liverpudlian, and a season ticket holder along with his son, who had good potential as a footballer, but he went on to claim that Didi showed a complete lack of interest, and didn't even offer to sign an autograph for the fella's son!  Anyway, to cut a long story short, when the taxi got to Didi's house the driver noticed that there was some sort of party going on in the house as the lounge windows are apparently huge.  The fare came to something like £19.40 and according to the driver, he watched Didi go into the house to get some money... he then reappeared with a wad full of notes, gave the driver a £20 and waited for his change!  I refused to believe the story but the driver crossed his heart and all that nonsense!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #45: Nov 23, 2007 01:29:21 pm
      On flight back to Madrid from Liverpool on the Monday after the recent Spurs draw (Torres last minute equaliser), me and my son (8 years old) - sat next to the one and only Fernando Torres (on his way to the national squad... where he got injured in training later that week!).

The guy slept for most of the flight, even though my son asked me continually to wake him up for a chat!

When he eventually woke-up, about 15 mins before landing, we got into a nice chat about life in Liverpool and our support for LFC all the way from Madrid (I can modestly say he was very impressed with the loyalty and passion)... he signed two posters for my Alex and also had a couple of pics taken with him when we got to Madrid airport.... all are now proudly framed in his bedroom !!

Top class, humble fella - treated my son so well that we will both be fans of Fernando for life now!

...and best of all... Torres flies Easyjet - no frills, just get me there airline... top, top player AND man!

Quick Reply