Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Michael Owen (Manchester United)

Read 121095 times
      god11
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 6 posts |
      Apr 11, 2006 08:47:46 pm
      we need a 20+LEAGUEgoal striker next season theres talk of owen coming back but wen did he ever score 20+ league goals for us
      Rushie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 255 posts | -3 
      michael owen
      Reply #1: Apr 11, 2006 10:27:24 pm
      I don't think we do need a 20+ goals striker.

I think at Anfield we have tons of midfielders who can also weigh in with the goals.

Besides Rafa clearly likes having four strikers to rotate.  I don't think the days of a 20-30 league goals per season will ever happen with Rafa.
      god11
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 6 posts |
      michael owen
      Reply #2: Apr 11, 2006 10:38:01 pm
      good point gerrard top scorer say it all but i just feel we need that bit extra to really push on, with the amount of chances we ve created this season any top,top striker would be prem top scorer by now and the gap would have been a lot smaller
      DAVE P
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      michael owen
      Reply #3: Apr 12, 2006 12:49:37 am
      The biggest strenght that all recent title winning sides are one thing:

Goals from all over the pitch....mainly from midfield....

MAN U : Giggs, Scholes, Keane

ARSENAL : Pires, Ljungberg, Overmars...

CHELSEA : Lampard, Duff, Cole, Robben...

In the season we came 2nd we had MURPHY, GERRARD, RIISE, MCALLISTER...all chipping in with lots of goals and lots of important ones too...aswell as the likes of SMICER, BARMBY....

By doing this we spread the threat rather then just relying on a player a team can man mark out the game.

Personally i think Owens priority is England...i thank him for everything he has done but I, along with Rafa (i belive) thinks Owen has left us in the lurch twice now....and no player should be afforded the 3rd opportunity to play for such a great club or manager.

For me Defoe is a younger, trickier version of Owen with better ability outside the box...a cheaper less injury prone more reliable option...
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #4: Jul 02, 2009 08:23:10 pm
      United in shock move for Owen
      In what would be an extraordinary move should it materialise, speculation today is linking former Liverpool hitman Michael Owen with a move to Old Trafford.

Now officially a free agent after his contract on Tyneside expired yesterday, the 29-year old ace is wanted by a number of Premier League clubs. Leading the chase to land the goal machine are thought to be Everton - the team Owen supported as a boy - and Hull, who are set to table a lucrative package in a bid to lure him to the KC Stadium.

But now, it seems Manchester United are also in the hunt for the former Galactico. The recent news that United's top target Karim Benzema is set to join Real Madrid, after snubbing a deal with Alex Ferguson's men, has added to the Red Devil's transfer woes. It follows the departure's of both Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez, leaving Ferguson seemingly in a state of panic.

His desperation is believed to have prompted a move for the England international star. A flurry of bets today have slashed seen the odds on Owen strutting his stuff in a United shirt next season tumble from 20/1 to a very skinny 7/4. Sources are suggesting Ferguson is prepared to take a gamble on the injury ravaged frontman, who would not command a transfer fee. With Madrid intent on signing up any top name available, The Red Devils are finding options few and far between.

"With Real Madrid hoovering up several high profile targets, United are running out of options to fill the void left by the departure of Ronaldo and Tevez and Owen is a cheap option," Mike Triffitt of SkyBet told bettingzone.co.uk.

But it wouldn't be the first time Ferguson has taken a risk with an ageing striker. His moves for the likes of Teddy Sheringham and Henrik Larrson - who both arrived at the club into their 30's were definite successes and Owen, who is keen to rekindle his England career, would surely jump at the chance at playing for one of the world's biggest clubs.

http://www.extrafootie.co.uk/clubs/detailed/liverpool/19870/

What do you guys think? I don't think the kopites will take too kindly to his return in a united shirt
      « Last Edit: Jul 05, 2009 11:24:40 am by ayrton77, Reason: Changed topic title »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Owen to United?
      Reply #5: Jul 02, 2009 08:28:13 pm
      Don't care about either Joey, but this is the Liverpool board, I guess you should have gone here ::)

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=1925.0
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #6: Jul 02, 2009 08:29:44 pm
      Wrong board mate. General football board or in the Michael Owen thread in the Summer Transfer board.
      TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #7: Jul 02, 2009 08:29:49 pm
      I think this is crap. Why? Fergie is in a 'panic.'

Myself and another LFC fan have given opinions on this forum (Heart of Midlothian FC!)....

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54594

« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2009 11:05:01 pm by CRK »
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #8: Jul 02, 2009 08:30:39 pm
      i guess. Seeing as he was a great player for us, I just wanted to see what we'd think of him joining our rival. Anyway, if its to be moved or deleted, so be it.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: Jul 02, 2009 10:30:20 pm
      ;D I've had a look on the Manc forums and it seems its causing some mixed feelings on there, some even suggest he is due to have a medical and will be a Man Utd   player by Monday, I have been chuckling at some of the responses especially where they are saying Ribery is a luxury they do not need and rooney and Berbaflop will fill Ronaldo's shoes.

Deluded Manc Fans....... some where even saying Benzema was sh*t and they did not want him any way when a couple of pages back over they were foaming at their mouths at the thought of him joining the sad fuckers.

Theres Michael Owens future sorted hopefully ... Now can we concentrate on our own targets  he he he he
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #10: Jul 02, 2009 10:32:56 pm
      I would be crying if Owen goes to manure. I still hope Owen will come back home.
      « Last Edit: Jul 02, 2009 11:05:24 pm by CRK »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #11: Jul 02, 2009 10:34:01 pm
      I would be crying if Owen goes to manure.I still hope Owen will come back home.

Why?

I will laugh most likely. If he sells his soul to the devil then that man is a jerk.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #12: Jul 02, 2009 11:06:10 pm
      The mans a joke, he is no longer a premiership level footballer IMO, the only thing that will make the mancs go for him is his marketability (that the right word?!)

Real has lost his way, sad considering he used to be a cracking player, but his head was turned by the glamour and flashing lights of Madrid and it's all gone downhill for him.

If he goes to the mancs, it will be a mixture of anger, sadness and laughter towards him!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #13: Jul 02, 2009 11:06:53 pm
      This is the only player United can attract now.

They were hoping for Ribery, Benzema and Villa - all of which have expressed their desire to play with Real or stay in Spain.

End of an era for the mancs.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Michael Owen (Newcastle United)
      Reply #14: Jul 02, 2009 11:11:03 pm
      The Telegraph
      Michael Owen joins Manchester United

The Manchester United manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, was poised make an astonishing move in the transfer market by bringing injury-prone striker Michael Owen to Old Trafford on a free transfer.

The Manchester United manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, was poised make an astonishing move in the transfer marker by bringing injury-prone striker Michael Owen to Old Trafford on a free transfer.

Reliable sources have confirmed to Telegraph Sport that Owen is on the brink of joining the Premier League champions after becoming a free agent when his contract at Newcastle expired on Tuesday.

Details of the prospective deal are scarce but it is anticipated that Owen, 29, would sign a highly incentivised deal due to his worrying problems with injuries over the last four years at St James' Park where he was paid £115,000 per week.

Owen, who will be ready to accept a dramatic drop in wages, has already attracted public declarations of interest from Stoke and Hull while Tottenham and Portsmouth are also understood to be keen on securing the services of a striker who has fallen from grace during his time on Tyneside.

Despite his strong links with United's arch-rivals Liverpool, Owen would welcome a move to United because it would give him the chance to prove himself at Champions League level and also bolster his chances of regaining his place in England head coach Fabio Capello's plans for next summer's World Cup finals.

Due to his fitness problems, the recruitment of Owen would seem to represent a gamble for Ferguson but concerns over his durability will be offset by the chance to hire him on a free transfer.

Should Owen join United - where he would also get the chance to team up with England striker Wayne Rooney - he would plug one of the gaps in the United ranks cause by the departure of two of Ferguson's so-called 'Fab Four' in the shape of Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez.

It would allay the fears for United supporters in what is shaping up to be a worrying summer for the club who have lost out to Real Madrid in the race for Lyon striker Karem Benzema but have signed right-winger Antonio Valencia from Wigan for £16 million.

The former Manchester United and England skipper, Bryan Robson, is confident that Owen can still prosper in the upper echelons of the game despite his recent problems since his £17-million move to Newcastle from Real Madrid.

"Michael is a natural goal-scorer and natural goalscorers who can do the business at the highest level are few and far between," Robson told Telegraph Sport in a recent interview.

"I definitely think that he is capable of being a Champions League striker because he's only 29 and he has still plenty of good years left in him yet."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/manutd/5725623/Michael-Owen-joins-Manchester-United.html

Michael you F***ing dare and it's over.
      ahirl
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      Reply #15: Jul 02, 2009 11:22:00 pm
      Anyone thats gone to Real Madrid has seem to put and end to their good career, for example Mc Manaman , woodgate and possibly Owen.
      Just look what happened to the fat Ronaldo(eventually)
      zodiac
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts | -4 
      Reply #16: Jul 02, 2009 11:36:02 pm
      Can't believe this. I'm in shock.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #17: Jul 02, 2009 11:39:21 pm
      Can't believe this. I'm in shock.

Well it can't harm your chances.  ;)
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #18: Jul 02, 2009 11:40:54 pm
      Appearing on BBC now to.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8131801.stm

Manchester United have refused to be drawn on growing speculation they are about to sign striker Michael Owen.

The 29-year-old, who is out of contract, did not return for pre-season training with Newcastle after his deal with the Magpies ran out in June.

One bookmaker slashed their odds on Owen, who has also been linked with Everton, Aston Villa, Stoke and Hull, joining United from 20-1 to 5-2.

"We don't comment on transfer rumours," a United spokesman told BBC Sport.

Any deal for Owen would be subject to the striker passing a stringent medical, which could take place as early as Friday, given his frequent injury problems over the last few years.

I just question the injury scenario

Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce

The former Liverpool forward scored 10 goals in all competitions last season, although an ankle injury and groin operation severely disrupted his season.

His last league goal was on 10 January against West Ham.

Since losing the Champions League final to Barcelona at the end of May, the Premier League holders have sold forward Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid for £80m and failed to persuade striker Carlos Tevez to stay at Old Trafford.

The departure of those two players has left United manager Sir Alex Ferguson with a shortage of strikers, with Frazier Campbell also likely to be sold.

However, Ferguson did bring in winger Antonio Valencia from Wigan on Tuesday.

United were also reportedly keen on Lyon striker Karim Benzema, who is set to join Real, while Bayern Munich forward Franck Ribery has been linked with a move to the Madrid club rather than the English champions.

If Ferguson does capture Owen it would be reminiscent of his willingness to take a chance on players with either difficult reputations, such as Eric Cantona, or players that have suffered serious injury problems like Henrik Larsson.

Even so, the move for Owen represents something of a gamble for Ferguson, given Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce ruled out a move for the striker given his injury history.

"I just question the injury scenario," said Allardyce earlier this week.

"I need a striker that's going to be available for 30 games next season. That's not happened for Michael over the last four years."

After Newcastle were relegated to the Championship, Owen expressed his desire to remain in the Premier League.

The Wasserman Media Group (WMG), the management company that represents him, sent out a brochure to a number of clubs reminding them of the talent that resulted in the striker scoring 158 goals in about 300 games for Liverpool and 40 goals in 89 appearances for England.

No-one was available for comment at the WMG.

Owen was widely reported to be earning more than £100,000-a-week at Newcastle after signing a four-year deal when he moved from Real Madrid in August 2005 for a club record fee of £16m, though his wages are unlikely to be a problem for the Old Trafford club.

However, his time on Tyneside was plagued by injury problems, as he suffered a broken metatarsal bone, knee ligament damage sustained at the 2006 World Cup, as well as a double hernia operation and a thigh problem.

The forward has made 79 appearances for the Magpies and scored 30 goals in four seasons.

If Owen does move to Old Trafford it would revive the former Liverpool striker's hopes of resurrecting his international hopes and taking part in the 2010 World Cup.

Owen has been marginalised by England manager Fabio Capello and has won just one cap under the Italian, as a substitute in the 1-0 friendly defeat by France in Paris on 26 March, 2008.

Sounds like this really could happen. The mans a complete Judas, f**k off Owen just lost the little amount of respect I had for you.

I also hope Stevie deletes your number from his phone.

And Carra gives you a phone call late at night after we win the PL, mocking you about the fact you leave and we win the CL and PL while your career goes down the drain.
      Bowlesy88
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #19: Jul 02, 2009 11:48:00 pm
      Cor fergie's desperate
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #20: Jul 02, 2009 11:59:44 pm
      He likes to be hated, doesnt he?

I cant even think of how disgusting it would be to see him celebrating a goal for Man Utd.

I never wanted any players to pick an injury (Gary Neville maybe) but that could be the case if those news are true.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #21: Jul 03, 2009 12:03:12 am
      He will be great company for Hargreaves on the treatment table.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #22: Jul 03, 2009 12:05:17 am
      Kind of funny really isn't it? He's a F***ing jinx since he left us! :D

Quick Reply