Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Gerard Houllier going to Aston Villa?

Read 3657 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Gerard Houllier going to Aston Villa?
      Sep 03, 2010 11:40:44 am
      Aston Villa have closed the door to Sven-Goran Eriksson as the Midlands club continues its search for a new manager, putting Gerard Houllier in pole position to replace Martin O’Neill.
      The Frenchman is set for a dramatic return to English football after successful talks with club owner Randy Lerner this week. (Daily Mail)

Meanwhile the Guardian claims the pair could even work together, with Houllier taking up a director of football role alongside MacDonald. (The Guardian)

Link

The Guardian is saying the same thing!

I know Mr Houllier has (reportedly) spouted some sh*t about us of late but I still have a lot of respect for him and often wonder how far he could have taken us if he hadn't had the health problems that seemed to mark the beginning of his downfall. Would be good to see him back in England I think.
      « Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010 06:55:23 pm by JD »
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Re: Could Gerard be heading back to the Premier League?
      Reply #1: Sep 03, 2010 01:54:25 pm
      I agree - I liked GH as well and would be good to see him back in England.

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #2: Sep 03, 2010 02:30:35 pm
      Venison, thanks for the edit but the link I posted was not to The S*n anyway, it was to Yahoo! Sport.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #3: Sep 04, 2010 06:51:40 pm
      Good to see Houllier looking really well at Jamie's testimonial today.
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #4: Sep 04, 2010 10:10:26 pm
      Looked happy today at Anfield back in the mangerial zone with woy.

Maybe he will be at Villa
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #5: Sep 05, 2010 08:17:12 pm
      What was he doing sat with Roy, it looked weired.

I can't make my mind up about this man at all. Before anyone starts on me, I am grateful for the good memories he brought with the cup finals, and also the fact that he improved a lot about the club, when he was here.

But still, I do think he has an ego problem. Trying to make out that he "discovered" Gerrard. Then when he left the club, turning up at Melwood all the time, when Rafa and his team were beginning their job. Also his comments about it being "his squad" that won the European Cup etc, a totally unnecessary comment. Then the business with Ginola.

I am not convinced that he will do a good job at Villa, being away from English football like he has. But you never know, should be interesting if nothing else. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Sep 05, 2010 11:16:08 pm
      Glad to see him go to Villa, if only because I got worried when I saw him on the bench with Roy.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #7: Sep 05, 2010 11:23:55 pm
      Good luck if you get it Gerard!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Sep 05, 2010 11:26:40 pm
      Maybe we could pick up one or two in January. At least the managers get on well now :)
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #9: Sep 06, 2010 07:40:11 am
      I have a lot of respect for what the man did in his first years for the club, I wish him luck if the rumors are true.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #10: Sep 07, 2010 04:52:31 pm
      Official it seems
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #11: Sep 07, 2010 06:54:45 pm
      I think he will do a good job with Villa actually.

He was doing a pretty decent job with us until he had his heart attack.  The pressure of finishing 2nd with us, coupled with that heart attack, basically got too much I think.

Free of the pressure at Villa I think he would do a good job there.

But already the Villa fans are criticising him and Phil Thompson, showing their usual distinct lack of footballing knowledge.  They've got Doug Ellis hatchetman in their blood so he won't be given the 2-3 years needed.

One thing Villa have got is a seemingly impressive chairman - just moronic fans who wouldn't know a good manager if he came around to their house and slapped them in the face with a kipper.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3953 
      Re: Gerard Houllier going to Aston Villa?
      Reply #12: Sep 08, 2010 05:10:51 pm
      Wouldn't speak ill of the man and after the heart attack I think he should have taken some time out to recuperate fully and not stepped back into the hotseat, he did himself no favours whatsoever.
      As for the Villa job well he's doing himself no favours there either.     
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: Sep 08, 2010 05:15:46 pm
      Really like the man and he's very much in my good books for all his efforts at Liverpool and he built a great team of coaches at the club. Fantastic manager Aston Villa will get. It'll be good to welcome him back to Anfield when he returns with Villa.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Jun 01, 2011 01:12:12 pm
       TonyBarretTimes Tony Barrett
      Really sad news that Houllier is leaving Villa. Great exclusive by the Birmingham Mail tho
      31 May
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #15: Jun 01, 2011 09:51:29 pm
      Gerard Houllier leaves role as Aston Villa manager
      Aston Villa have confirmed the departure of Gerard Houllier as manager after just nine months in charge.

The 63-year-old Frenchman missed the final month of the season because of heart problems.

He had been expected to leave his post after undergoing tests this week.

Doctors advised that he will require further time to recuperate and Villa officials were said to be concerned a return to the dugout could cause further health issues.

In a statement, Houllier, who left his role as technical director at the France Football Federation (FFF) to take over at Villa, did not rule out the possibility of returning to the game.

He said: "I am extremely disappointed that I will not have the opportunity to manage Aston Villa next season.

"My health has improved considerably since I was taken ill on 20 April. I now intend to take the next few months to concentrate on recuperating fully before I may return to football.

"I was very much looking forward to the prospect of my first full season as Villa manager and returning for pre-season training.
      "It has been an honour to manage this great club and I wish everyone connected with Aston Villa every success for the future."

In 2001, during his spell in charge of Liverpool, he had open heart surgery after suffering from chest pains during a home match against Leeds.

Houllier returned to take up the managerial reins at Anfield and remained there for another three years before he was sacked.

After leaving Liverpool, he led Lyon to two French titles before joining the FFF in 2007.

He was enticed back into management by Villa in September last year, signing a three-year deal.

But in April he was admitted to hospital with chest pains and Gary McAllister stepped in to help steer Villa away from relegation trouble.

Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "I would like to thank Gerard for his considerable efforts over the past nine months and for the dedication, commitment and work ethic he has demonstrated as Villa manager.

"We regret the circumstances of Gerard's departure and, naturally, we wish him well in his continued recovery.

"I know I speak for everyone associated with Aston Villa in expressing our hope that Gerard will return to full health as quickly as possible and we wish him all the best for the future.

"As a board we are very conscious of the need to ensure that the club is prepared fully to meet the demands of the new season.

"To that end, we have already embarked upon the process which will lead to the appointment of a new manager."

Villa have already been linked with Everton manager "The Chosen One", Fulham boss Mark Hughes, former England coach Steve McClaren and Villa assistant McAllister mentioned as possible successors.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13599979.stm

Ah well, Look after yourself.

Dare I say Rafa to Villa?
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #16: Jun 01, 2011 10:47:45 pm
      Months ago rumors came about that this was the job Rafa wanted.

Think it could happen to be honest.

YNWA Gerard.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #17: Jun 02, 2011 12:51:29 pm
      Mark Hughes currently the favourite for the villa job.

Months ago rumors came about that this was the job Rafa wanted.

Think it could happen to be honest.

I've heard a rumour it could actually be Blackburn who are going to offer Rafa the job.

Quick Reply