Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Michael Owen (Manchester United)

Read 122180 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Owen to United?
      Reply #69: Jul 03, 2009 11:30:11 am
      I still have trouble believing this is anything more than a big joke, but it's been so widely reported it must be true. What the hell is happening?

Anyway, I never wanted Owen back, he's not good enough to play for a team challenging for the title. He's too injury prone, he's only going to get worse, his best years are behind him.

The only arguments in his favour are along the lines of "if he stays fit", and "he wouldn't cost very much". He gave us some great memories, lets leave it at that. It's time to look forward, not back, for me Liverpool is far better now without Owen than we were with him. I'm not bitter, with hindsight he did us a favour, would we ever have signed Torres if he had stayed?

For those who are a fan of Owen, good for you, he looks to be signing for a big club and will be raking in a big wage. For fans of the Mancs, my commiserations, you took one huge risk.

If the summer signings were to end now, I have to say that United are totally fu**ed and we're looking as strong as ever. Very interesting few weeks ahead.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #70: Jul 03, 2009 11:36:58 am
      Funny one this one.

If Owen went to United I'd be very disappointed in the player. However, you always got the impression he was in it for the money.

But if he does go then I will probably piss myself laughing.  If he's just going to be a squad player then United have nothing to lose I suppose - but if he is going to replace Ronaldo then that is possibly the funniest thing I've ever heard.

Either way. He won't be playing for England in the World Cup.
      red_micheal
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 126 posts |
      Reply #71: Jul 03, 2009 11:41:57 am
      i think owen signing for utd says more about manure than owen (though it just shows the wee pr**k has no loyalty) in that the likes of football365 constantly going on about benzema, ribery etc all queuing up to join them & now they are resorting to signing a newcastle pit part reject!!!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #72: Jul 03, 2009 11:42:44 am
      Its got be a wind up this one,Owen in his prime was inconsistent to say the least he could occasionally turn it on and save a game but that was in his"glory days" which are long past. As for the Mancs showing an interest if there's even a thread of truth in this rumour,they're scraping the barrel good style.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #73: Jul 03, 2009 11:48:46 am
      Could anyone get that knife from my back... It's lodged in pretty deep
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #74: Jul 03, 2009 11:50:37 am

When this started getting serious I thought of you.

Sorry Mags, looks bad. :(
      yowg8ynwa
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts |
      Reply #75: Jul 03, 2009 11:55:19 am

hahaha same here, i can't believe he would go to manure...
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #76: Jul 03, 2009 12:00:54 pm
      Despite the fact he's a legend here, Owen hasn't been playing well for years, injury problems stopping his career etc and he wouldn't do well at United.

I wouldn't give it much thought, past his prime and he's a boyhood Evertonian. Is he a Liverpool fan now?
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #77: Jul 03, 2009 12:05:48 pm
      It's the quiet ones you've gotta watch, doing the dodge. Don't really know what to make of this, He's hardly an ambitious signing and I don't think he's gonna set the world alight but nevertheless he was somewhat of Liverpool legend, he's got a nerve signing for our arch rivals I've gotta be honest.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #78: Jul 03, 2009 12:10:19 pm
      Mickey, if this is anything true, it's perfectly fine. We totally understand your situation and you are entitled to your own choices. We all know that you value England more than any other club in this world. You would betray just about anybody to get your start for England at the World Cup. It beats playing in the Championship and any Permiership team out of the Big Four. We totally understand that you even needed to be marketed heavily to potentially get into a Premiership side. Now we know where your heart lies. I am considering burning up the Owen autobiography, just about the only Mickey Owen item I own. If this is anything true, we now know where your loyalties are. You make your own choices, but you will have to bear the consequence of it, whatever they are...
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #79: Jul 03, 2009 12:15:33 pm
      He can go F**k himself- he was my footballing icon when i was like 6-7 and now he has gone to United!!!!!! Ultimate Judas!
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #80: Jul 03, 2009 12:31:59 pm
      F**k me , it actually looks like this is happening. Ive just seen on SSN that hes at their training ground for a medical, thats a fact. Little cu*t. So it seems that the only thing that will stop this is if he fails the medical for some reason. Im stunned.
      Dangerous Dave
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts |
      Reply #81: Jul 03, 2009 12:37:27 pm
      Skrtel will snap him like a twig
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #82: Jul 03, 2009 12:41:58 pm
      Ultimately Liverpool FC have moved on since Owen left and we have become a much better squad competing for honors since his departure. Granted he was a great player for us in the past and gave us all some great memories.

What you have to remember footballing allegiances aside and looking at in a perspective way is that Michael Owen is a footballer he is a footballer who at one time was classed as one of the worlds greats he was England's striker and renowned as a phenomenal talent. What we are seeing transpiring is Michael Owen the footballer trying to re-establish himself in the game and put his injury nightmares behind him and try to force his way into Capello's plans, something he could not do when at Newcastle and he would not achieve with the other clubs that have been linked with him. When you look at who has been linked with Owen Stoke and Hull most notably you can not really blame him for taking up the scums offer its not like Rafa has been banging the drum about signing him and IMO rightly so.

I'm not trying to defend Owen in anyway shape or form but imagine for a moment you are on Benefits (Before you say it I know he's not short of cash)  and then three job offers come along at once you would take the job offer thats best for you and your personal circumstances, this is what I believe Owen has done and IMO had Rafa made noises to sign him I don't believe he would have even considered Man Utd.

HarryFloyd
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts |
      Reply #83: Jul 03, 2009 12:43:02 pm
      Fellas, just a quick question...ever since he left us for Madrid, has he ever and I mean EVER,

spoken a decent word about our club?

spoken with nostalgia of his time here?

expressed a desire to make a comeback with us?

expressed his delight or appreciation of our progress?

made any efforts to comeback?

I'll be hard pressed to recall anything of the sort if he ever did..the man has made his choice, he has moved on truly and completely beyond Liverpool... burnt each and every bridge... and I think the fans should contemplate doing the same. I wonder if some of his colleagues and mentors would be thinking if it was actually worth having him all those years the club...
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #84: Jul 03, 2009 12:45:10 pm
      Michael Owen is a tw*t he turned down a return to Liverpool and is now signing for Mancs it's so disgusting I can't get over it I'm burning my Owen England shirt
      HarryFloyd
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts |
      Reply #85: Jul 03, 2009 12:52:05 pm
      Michael Owen is a tw*t he turned down a return to Liverpool and is now signing for Mancs it's so disgusting I can't get over it I'm burning my Owen England shirt

ire there any chances of a bonfire lit up of all Michael Owen merchandise on Merseyside? I recall some planned to do the same had Gerrard moved to Chelsea...
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #86: Jul 03, 2009 01:06:58 pm
      c**t, c**t, c**t c**t!!!
      Michael disgrace X 3
      He's a c**t to the human race...
      Now off to United, Fergie's ass is delighted
      An old busted Owen, to the new breed if scum...
      He's now with rednose, whose ass is of cum!  :f_whistle:   ;D

I told you he was a twit!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #87: Jul 03, 2009 01:09:12 pm
      Fellas, just a quick question...ever since he left us for Madrid, has he ever and I mean EVER,

spoken a decent word about our club?

spoken with nostalgia of his time here?

expressed a desire to make a comeback with us?

expressed his delight or appreciation of our progress?

made any efforts to comeback?

I'll be hard pressed to recall anything of the sort if he ever did..the man has made his choice, he has moved on truly and completely beyond Liverpool... burnt each and every bridge... and I think the fans should contemplate doing the same. I wonder if some of his colleagues and mentors would be thinking if it was actually worth having him all those years the club...

To answer your question

Owen: Liverpool will always be in my heart

Kop Talk

Newcastle United striker Michael Owen says that although he's signed for the Magpies, Liverpool will always remain close to his heart.

His dream return to Anfield was blocked by the Liverpool big cheese who refused to meet Real Madrid's asking price having already spent £7million on Southampton's Peter Crouch. He's now a Newcastle player but he still spoke very highly of his former employers Liverpool.

"I don't think they (Liverpool) need too much comfort (because I've signed for Newcastle)," said Owen. "They're the European champions and they've had great success with a new manager.

"I was at Liverpool a long time and I still have many friends there. Liverpool will always be a part of my life because I played there so long.

"I want to win trophies and play in front of passionate supporters. I love playing the game. It's an exciting club to join. It'll be like the country winning the World Cup when Newcastle win something. I can't wait for it to happen."

He added: "I'm the type of lad that doesnt like a big fuss. I don't like to see my face in the papers. I'm glad it's all finished now.

"I can guarantee that whoever I play for, whatever team I play for, I'll always give 100% and do what I can to win as many games as possible. I guarantee that I'll give it my best shot."

Asked if he had a message for Liverpool fans, Owen said: "Well it's obviously unfortunate for one set of fans. I spoke to Liverpool and unfortunately that deal couldn't come off. That's life. Deals sometimes happen and sometimes don't.

"All I can do now is look to the future at Newcastle and do well in this black and white shirt. It's the way football has always been and always will be."

Sorry about last post that had to be deleted I could not modify it as every time it thunders I lose my Wireless connection grrrrrrrrr
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #88: Jul 03, 2009 01:14:14 pm
      Lost a chunk of respect for him when he went to Madrid. Lost more when he chose Newcastle. Then when he brought out his "pamplet" selling himself there was only a small percenatge of respect left for him. Safe to say all respect is now gone and will stay gone. T*at. Roll on October 24th
      HarryFloyd
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts |
      Reply #89: Jul 03, 2009 01:15:56 pm
      To answer your question

Owen: Liverpool will always be in my heart

Kop Talk

Newcastle United striker Michael Owen says that although he's signed for the Magpies, Liverpool will always remain close to his heart.

His dream return to Anfield was blocked by the Liverpool big cheese who refused to meet Real Madrid's asking price having already spent £7million on Southampton's Peter Crouch. He's now a Newcastle player but he still spoke very highly of his former employers Liverpool.

"I don't think they (Liverpool) need too much comfort (because I've signed for Newcastle)," said Owen. "They're the European champions and they've had great success with a new manager.

"I was at Liverpool a long time and I still have many friends there. Liverpool will always be a part of my life because I played there so long.

"I want to win trophies and play in front of passionate supporters. I love playing the game. It's an exciting club to join. It'll be like the country winning the World Cup when Newcastle win something. I can't wait for it to happen."

He added: "I'm the type of lad that doesnt like a big fuss. I don't like to see my face in the papers. I'm glad it's all finished now.

"I can guarantee that whoever I play for, whatever team I play for, I'll always give 100% and do what I can to win as many games as possible. I guarantee that I'll give it my best shot."

Asked if he had a message for Liverpool fans, Owen said: "Well it's obviously unfortunate for one set of fans. I spoke to Liverpool and unfortunately that deal couldn't come off. That's life. Deals sometimes happen and sometimes don't.

"All I can do now is look to the future at Newcastle and do well in this black and white shirt. It's the way football has always been and always will be."

Sorry about last post that had to be deleted I could not modify it as every time it thunders I lose my Wireless connection grrrrrrrrr

Point taken mate... wonder if he actually tried putting in more effort to come back..
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #90: Jul 03, 2009 01:24:21 pm
      Well to be honest from what I heard we would not meet Madrids asking price of 16 million and Newcastle did, Owen insisted he wanted to join Liverpool, where he was basically told you can either join Newcastle or stay on the bench for Madrid. So in retrospect it was World Cup year and Owen wanted a return to England and Liverpool would not match Reals asking price what was he to do ?
      red_micheal
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 126 posts |
      Reply #91: Jul 03, 2009 01:40:29 pm
      and the media slated the anfield faithful for gving owen stick when he returned for the first time with newcastle.......??? just wait until 24th Oct!!! what a turncoat!!!

Quick Reply