Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

NRL 2009

Read 15740 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: NRL 2009
      Reply #23: Jun 26, 2009 08:29:19 am
      ^^^What a spectacularly different mood i am now compared to back then, well not that spectacular considering the Blues' loss. The State of Origin game the other night was a good game and there were a few moments we could see the biff. David Williams was woeful with ball control, although the tackles which led to him losing the ball were pretty great. I think this Queensland side is the best Queensland side ever, and they are just as passionate as any QLD side of the past.

To the Sharks, well what can I say. Four wins on the trot. Scott Porter has been immense since he's jumped onto the scene, but i think we'll miss Trent Barrett for the few games he'll miss due to suspension. I hope the Sharkies continue like this and try to make it into the top 8.

Agreed and agreed. Porter has been great but Monday night cant really be an indicator, the Broncs were sh*t :D
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #24: Jun 26, 2009 12:23:31 pm
      Agreed and agreed. Porter has been great but Monday night cant really be an indicator, the Broncs were sh*t :D
      Yeah, but even the few games before Monday night's game.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #25: Jun 27, 2009 06:15:41 pm
      Roosters WIN! Ironic, against the Sharkies. Hard night for you then mate? ;)
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #26: Jun 28, 2009 11:06:32 am
      Yes, very. I know so many Roosters fans who are gonna give it to me.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #27: Jul 01, 2009 08:57:58 am
      Hazem El Masri announced his retirement yesterday. He was the perfect rolemodel for kids growing up who look up to Rugby League players. On and off the field he has been a leading example throughout his career which spans nearly 14 years.

He's scored 154 first grade tries in just over 300 games and is the leading pointscorer in NRL history i think.

From one type of player to another, with the sacking of Brett Seymour because of another alcohol related incident. They just don't seem to learn.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #28: Jul 15, 2009 09:44:31 pm
      Anyone watch the State of Origin last night. What a game it was, one of the best i have seen. The NSW selectors have finally made the right choice in going for an experienced halves pairing in Kimmorley and Barrett. Dead rubber, what dead rubber? It was controversial aswell in the 8 point try, which was also the first i have seen. I think it was rightly appointed, though I'm pretty biased. The brawls at the end were really exciting aswell, albeit Price's injury was a little worrying. As Gus said, "Origin is never dead."
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #29: Jul 16, 2009 05:25:21 pm
      F***ing loved it! Best Origin game i can remember although it was soured by Poore's treatment on Price.

Overall, what a contest. Strength, skill, stamina and a whole lot of punches.

Stoked Waterhouse got off his charge but he was never in danger there. Nothing in it.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #30: Jul 16, 2009 11:57:16 pm

Stoked Waterhouse got off his charge but he was never in danger there. Nothing in it.
      Yeah, the blokes that threw the punches got off easy, yet those who jumped in were sent off.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #31: Jul 17, 2009 09:56:30 am
      Rules are a joke. Two blokes knock each other out and the guy trying to pull them away is off.

The good news, first ever NSW player to get sent off is a Panther! :D
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #32: Jul 29, 2009 11:21:23 am
      Anyone else see this.

Hunt switches to AFL

Disgruntled Brisbane Broncos full-back Karmichael Hunt has dropped a bombshell with the news that he will switch codes and play for Gold Coast when it enters the AFL in 2011.

The AFL's 17th team unveiled its first major signing on Wednesday morning on the Gold Coast, with the 22-year-old shocking the NRL with the announcement that he will switch codes to Australia's indigenous game rather than to rugby union as had been expected.

Hunt won't immediately join Gold Coast when his Broncos commitments come to an end, with the club admitting he may still play rugby union for up to six months before starting his commitments with the new club in May next year.

Hunt earlier this season rejected a new contract with the Broncos reportedly worth $1.2 million over three years, prompting the club to withdraw the offer and forcing Hunt to look elsewhere.

But while a move to either Japan or Europe to play rugby, which he also played as a teenager, had been his expected destination, Hunt has instead opted to remain in his home state of Queensland by signing a three-year contract.

"If I had to leave Brisbane then I preferred to change codes rather than change teams as I did not want to play against the Brisbane Broncos," Hunt said. "For me this is about the challenge of playing AFL at the highest level."

"The Gold Coast Football Club has given me a great opportunity to be part of its journey to AFL in 2011."

"I played AFL as a teenager and I am really excited by the challenge to change codes and still play at the elite level and for a Queensland team in a national competition. I can't wait."

Hunt's decision has caught the Broncos on the hop, with chief executive Bruno Cullen admitting on Wednesday morning that neither Hunt or his management had advised the club of his intentions before the news became public.

"I was quite shocked," Cullen told ABC Radio. "We've had him since he was 15 and he's been playing with the club for the last five seasons."

"He's a 100-game player now. He's played Origin, he played for Australia, so he's been a success story in a very short period of time."

At 186cm and 92kg Auckland-born Hunt, who has spent the bulk of his career at full-back, is known for his fearless approach to the game but has not played AFL since his early teens.

But Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna is delighted with the signing of Hunt, who made his NRL debut in 2004 as a 17-year-old and has played 11 Tests for Australia and 10 Origin matches for Queensland.

"I've followed State of Origin, I know it's not AFL football, but seeing how he moves, seeing how he hits, he's going to bring another dimension to an AFL football team," McKenna said.

"Powerful, strong, quick and probably averages 23 tackles in a game. We're lucky to average 40 in a whole side. He's built for that, built for the physical demands of AFL football."

"Technically we are going to have do some work with him but that's no different to some of the Irish players who have crossed over. We are probably at an advantage given he played competitive AFL football as a teenager, so he's someone with a history in the game."

"We will sit down and map out his next 18 months and work out from a physical point of view and a technical side of things a program but I can't wait to get my hands on him."

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/hunt-switches-to-afl-74892

It's one of the last places I would have looked for an AFL player.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #33: Jul 29, 2009 01:43:42 pm
      I was shocked. Good luck to him.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #34: Jul 29, 2009 02:10:38 pm
      Yes a pure money move.

What next Tony Carrol to sign for Melbourne Victory?!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #35: Jul 29, 2009 07:36:37 pm
      Yeah i just read this, being that i grew up in South Australia im an AFL fan over NRL, but i enjoy watching the rugby quite alot also (West Tigers ;D)
      When i saw switched codes i first thought "oh another one jumping to union" but then i saw AFL CEO Demitriou's name in the first line of the story and was shocked. Good luck to him, just hope not to many start jumping. Think Stephen Milne from the saints was talking about how good Billy Slater and Greg Inglis were at school boy level with AFL, they would be big losses. Won't happen, though, but still interesting.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #36: Jul 29, 2009 11:09:37 pm
      He insists it wasn't for money, and he wants to become a 'pioneer'. He's playing in the AFL in 2011 and a year of Rugby Union next year. I personally think it was a money move. Good luck to him but i hope it doesn't happen much.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #37: Jul 30, 2009 08:25:08 am
      Anyone else excited though? I cant wait to see how he does.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #38: Jul 30, 2009 08:41:02 am
      Anyone else excited though? I cant wait to see how he does.
      I am excited to see whether he is successful or not. Personally i think he will be a great AFL player.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #39: Jul 30, 2009 09:43:20 am
      I dont follow rugby but how big a player is he considered? he's one of the few that I've heard of so he must be at least reasonably good.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #40: Jul 30, 2009 04:15:21 pm
      Full international
      State of Origin
      Premiership player

All at 22. He's a massive loss for this code, and a marketing coup for AFL i feel.

Now, where would he play? Maybe on the flanks or whatever they call them in AFL where he wont be exposed to too much.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #41: Jul 30, 2009 04:21:02 pm
      They said he'd play in the back line to start with probably the half-back flank he wouldn't have to worry about getting tackled from behind there which would be a problem at first since he's used to having opponents only in front of him.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #42: Jul 30, 2009 04:57:29 pm
      Joseph Tomane has signed for the Gold Coast too!!

Only difference is, he signed for the NRL franchise in the Gold Coast.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #43: Jul 31, 2009 03:45:36 pm
      Go Manly!

A few months ago, so many were writing us off but we regrouped and made our way steadily up the Ladder and now are in a fine position to pounce.

Back to back baby!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #44: Aug 01, 2009 02:37:57 pm
      32-32 and i was in the crowd. I dont know how to feel. We were 32-6 down after 55 but we got back and could of been the greatest comeback in NRL history, had we won and we could have.

The Warriors should of won, no doubt and hit the cross bar from 35 out in extra time which made me faint nearly. Frank Pritchard legally picked the ball up and he called a knock on? That was with 3 minutes in the second half of extra time left on the Warriors line with 6 to go. Bullshit and i wasnt happy.

This pocket ref thing needs work. I've been in favour this whole time but today was a joke. Hayne called 1 penalty against us while the 'less experienced' called 7 and they applied different rules. One was harsh (the second bloke) while Hayne was letting things go and the whole game, Hayne refereed with us in attack. Fuming.

Its like F***ing your sister, a draw. Dont know how to feel.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #45: Aug 04, 2009 12:53:50 pm
      Its like f**king your sister, a draw. Dont know how to feel.
      I don't get it, but don't explain.

Quick Reply