Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Is music being undervalued these days

Read 4179 times
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Is music being undervalued these days
      Mar 02, 2009 12:32:44 am
      I personally make a bit of house music, but is it worth me ever publishing.
      It seems to me that music is being downgraded as an industry, one thing that persuaded me about this was the xfactor people only getting about £250 a show.
      Lets face it they dont deserve any more, but people who genuinely make it in the big time these days cant really make a living unless they get loads of publicity, a good song doesn't make a hit anymore. Also loads of Cd's free with sunday papers.

What do y'all think bout this one.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Is music being undervalued these days
      Reply #1: Mar 02, 2009 12:49:18 am
      I think the whole concept of getting music out there has vastly improved these days mate. It's so easy for people to do things for themselves these days with the internet.

On the commercial side of things, you only have to look at someone like Lilly Allen who got her music out there through myspace.

As for underground music, such as house music etc, there's so much software and technology these days that some people could make a tune in their bedroom and then before you know it, thousands of people are downloading it.

If anything, it's the competition out there that's making people make their own minds up about who or what they want to listen to. Which is why you see things like X Factor or Pop Idol getting shoved down your throat so that the 'industry' can still make money.
      robbyr
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #2: Mar 02, 2009 12:59:53 am
      I think the whole concept of getting music out there has vastly improved these days mate. It's so easy for people to do things for themselves these days with the internet.

On the commercial side of things, you only have to look at someone like Lilly Allen who got her music out there through myspace.

As for underground music, such as house music etc, there's so much software and technology these days that some people could make a tune in their bedroom and then before you know it, thousands of people are downloading it.

If anything, it's the competition out there that's making people make their own minds up about who or what they want to listen to. Which is why you see things like X Factor or Pop Idol getting shoved down your throat so that the 'industry' can still make money.
      Great points RK, but there seems to be only a few bands who have made it through the internet, wasnt the arctic monies another. Xfactor is very very entertaining but does it biast towards female songbirds.

also

i sometimes have these mad ideas, one was to create a show like xfactor but based only on good bands, and to make it Raw and real, giving local bands a chance to make it big, i even started a website called beatlesearch.co.uk but was too lazy to see it through.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #3: Mar 02, 2009 05:13:13 am
      i even started a website called beatlesearch.co.uk but was too lazy to see it through.

Would that not fall into the category of "undervaluing music" though?

Pot, kettle, you get the drift! ;)
      robbyr
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #4: Mar 02, 2009 11:25:41 am
      Would that not fall into the category of "undervaluing music" though?

Pot, kettle, you get the drift! ;)
      Can't see how giving semi-established and practicing bands/not manufactured bands a chance at fame and making money from it can be undervaluing the music?
      there are a lot of good bands already out there that never see the light of day, because the system is a big click, if your not in the click you've ad it.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #5: Mar 02, 2009 11:41:09 am
      Can't see how giving semi-established and practicing bands/not manufactured bands a chance at fame and making money from it can be undervaluing the music?
      there are a lot of good bands already out there that never see the light of day, because the system is a big click, if your not in the click you've ad it.

Was only joking mate, as you had said you were too lazy to finish the website you had started. ;)
      robbyr
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #6: Mar 02, 2009 07:18:53 pm
      Cheaky!!, one day i will finish something though, should see the state of my DIY, everything half finished, maybe its why the roof is leaking, anyway one day i will be a damn pop star, reminds me of that tune by bros.... when will i be famous
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #7: Mar 02, 2009 07:27:24 pm
      Cheaky!!, one day i will finish something though, should see the state of my DIY, everything half finished, maybe its why the roof is leaking, anyway one day i will be a damn pop star, reminds me of that tune by bros.... when will i be famous

You're already well known on here, that's a start! ;)

You should put a bit of your music on here, lots of new artists get started by putting their stuff for free on the internet, then word spreads!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #8: Mar 04, 2009 11:48:54 pm
      Great points RK, but there seems to be only a few bands who have made it through the internet, wasnt the arctic monies another.

You've also got Scouting For Girls. They were highly based through MySpace.

Wouldn't exactly call their product music however.....

Music is pretty substandard on a whole nowadays though. You only have to put on a regular radio station these days and it's 'all filler and no killer.' The music people demand is of a shockingly low standard and the truly great bands don't get enough air time. Unless they hit a right chord with popular culture in the same manner the Kings of Leon have.

Their FOURTH album has made them stand out to the numpties who jump on the bandwagon when a song is being wellied by the radio. People comment saying 'Have you heard that new band, the Kings of Leon? They're going to be massive!' Makes me cringe it does. :-\
      robbyr
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #9: Mar 20, 2009 06:45:33 pm
      No music is not being undervalued, here is the evidence.
      somebody dared me to post this on so here it is, i made it a couple of years ago when england where in some torny or other
      loaded it onto youtube as i dont know how to include a file here.

Rob.
      ps its not supposed to be good at all, just a laugh, couldnt find any commentary online so i did it myself...ha ha

there is more songs to come if you can stand it, my new one is called  ^I couldnt get a job, so i wrote a song^
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #10: Mar 20, 2009 06:47:48 pm
      Where's the video robby ?
      robbyr
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #11: Mar 20, 2009 07:50:41 pm
      Sorry, i tried to upload it to youtube but you need a video with it, i will sort it tomorrow as im going karaokying now..... he he

Quick Reply