Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Hicks on Benitez's future and new player deals.

Read 6681 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Hicks on Benitez's future and new player deals.
      Reply #23: Mar 20, 2009 08:49:46 am
      "I'll be here in 5 years, and er... I think, George will be here"

Crawl back in to whatever slop you crawled out from, and never bother this club again!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #24: Mar 20, 2009 09:46:00 am
      Rafael Benitez given £30m Liverpool war chest (Times online)
      Rafael Benítez will be given at least £30 million to spend on new players this summer as he embarks on his mission to restore Liverpool to pre-eminence in English football after signing a new five-year contract.

The Spaniard retains a slight hope of overhauling Manchester United in the Barclays Premier League this season as well as making another serious challenge for the Champions League, where Liverpool and the three other English clubs will discover their quarter-final opponents this morning, but he is also building for the next campaign. His scouts are compiling reports on several wingers, including Aaron Lennon, of Tottenham Hotspur, and Antonio Valencia, of Wigan Athletic, as well as looking for a centre forward who can fill the void left by Robbie Keane’s brief, ill-fated spell at Anfield.

The Liverpool manager was criticised for selling Keane back to Tottenham in January and not replacing him, but the minimum £10 million fee raised in that deal has boosted his transfer budget to £30 million. Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, the club’s American owners, have also allowed Benítez to reinvest any money raised by selling players such as Andrea Dossena and Philipp Degen, and offloading Jermaine Pennant and Andriy Voronin, who are on loan at Portsmouth and Hertha Berlin respectively. Further funds could be generated depending on how much the club earn in prize money in the Champions League between now and May.

Another priority is to secure the long-term futures of several of his squad and, while the immediate priorities are Daniel Agger, Dirk Kuyt, Álvaro Arbeloa and Fábio Aurélio, whose deals expire in 15 months, Benítez has already pledged to give Fernando Torres a pay rise.

The Spain forward will be offered an improvement on the £90,000-a-week, six-year contract he signed when he joined from Atlético Madrid in 2007, reflecting his status as one of the best strikers in the world.

Benítez inquired about Lennon, 21, during negotiations in the deal that took Keane to Tottenham and his interest has increased with the youngster’s impressive form in recent weeks, but other candidates, such as Valencia and David Silva, the Valencia midfield player, are under consideration. He is also casting his net wide in search of a centre forward, but David Villa, Silva’s team-mate, is out of Liverpool’s price range and is expected, in any case, to move to Barcelona or Real Madrid in the summer.

Under the terms of his new contract, which is worth £4.75 million a year, Benítez will have far greater control over transfers than last summer, when his bid to sign Gareth Barry from Aston Villa was vetoed by the board. But Hicks was eager to emphasise that the manager will have to work with a chief executive when a replacement for Rick Parry, the chief executive who is standing down in the summer, is found.

“I sat down with Rafa a couple of months ago and he made it very clear that he knows a manager can’t have control over the transfer budget,” Hicks said. “He has had his frustrations over the last five years and those are well chronicled, but he will make the recommendations about which players we sign and the new CEO, the owners and the board will make the final financial commitment. And that is the way it needs to be.”

Benítez has secured written assurances that add to his power at the club. He has been promised overall control of football matters, including, significantly, overseeing the youth academy, which has been outside his remit. These concessions from the board were instrumental in his rejection of overtures from suitors such as Atlético Madrid, an Italian club and an unofficial approach from a third party claiming to represent a Premier League club, thought to be Chelsea or Manchester City.

Contrary to popular belief, Benítez did not receive nor encourage an approach from Real Madrid, who are expected to try to entice Carlo Ancelotti from AC Milan to replace Juande Ramos in the summer.

£30million, would be nice as long as the player(s) is(are) of a high standard, and not overpriced rubbish, sounds a lot moular, but remember Keane cost £20m (approx), but then again Torres cost only a little more and has delivered so much more. So we will have to see.

Ofcourse Hicks may be bullshitting again to take some of the pressure off him, as he his constantly trying to be the nice guy, where is this money coming from, and why was it not available in the winter? Is there new investment coming in, or is it future prize money, EPL & CL?

He says it will be available from selling players, the ones mentioned I think will not equate to £20mil.

Remembering £30mil is now €30mil, not the usual €40mil we were used too.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #25: Mar 20, 2009 10:05:40 am
      Of course he is bullsh8tting this is one of the men that was trying to line up Klinsmann behind Rafa back, the only reason he has given Rafa backing is because he thinks it is a way of winning over the fans. Do you know what you can do Tom, start the stadium immediately(I think you said 60 days after you arrived) stop putting debt onto the club(you said when you arrived no debt would be put onto the club) put some of your own money into transfers and properly back us in the transfer market, no more bargain basement signing we are meant to be the number 1 club in europe how many more clubs have larger transfer budgets than us(remember you said if Rafa wants Snoop Dog i'l get him Snoop Dog), If you don't do these things you can f*ck off and sell the club to someone who will.
      redsonfire
      • Started Topic

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #26: Mar 20, 2009 11:00:08 am
      30 million, if it really comes true then mmm. Also when Alex retires we can look forward to a spell of dominance.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #27: Mar 20, 2009 12:04:49 pm
      I really hope we get David Silva because he is the player we need .... can break stupid teams like stoke and all down and can put a killer ball in the box and can create space for himself to pass ! I think he'll be great I'm so happy Rafa is considering him ! I think he might go due to Valencias financial crisis ! I really hope we see him in a red jersey next season he'll be great ans will mix with the other Spanish chicos of our club ! As for Villa he will be way out of our price range and i think Nando doesn't need him upfront ... anyways hope to see some good transfers taking place next season !
      g.adair
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts |
      Reply #28: Mar 20, 2009 01:11:57 pm
      Is it just me that thinks FAT HEAD loves telling us what we want to hear.
      I wont trust him till i see a shuvel in stanly park and his hand in his pocket.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #29: Mar 20, 2009 01:21:54 pm
      Still don't like these yanks, but things are moving in a positive direction

Away from Anfield is the only positive direction these pair can move in.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #30: Mar 20, 2009 01:47:05 pm
      The Liverpool manager was criticised for selling Keane back to Tottenham in January and not replacing him, but the minimum £10 million fee raised in that deal has boosted his transfer budget to £30 million. Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, the club’s American owners, have also allowed Benítez to reinvest any money raised by selling players such as Andrea Dossena and Philipp Degen, and offloading Jermaine Pennant and Andriy Voronin, who are on loan at Portsmouth and Hertha Berlin respectively. Further funds could be generated depending on how much the club earn in prize money in the Champions League between now and May.

Ofcourse Hicks may be bullshitting again to take some of the pressure off him, as he his constantly trying to be the nice guy, where is this money coming from, and why was it not available in the winter? Is there new investment coming in, or is it future prize money, EPL & CL?

He says it will be available from selling players, the ones mentioned I think will not equate to £20mil.

I think the breakdown of the funds seems to be £10 million from Keane + £20 million from future prize money and other players sales, as you say.

I don't think the owners will be putting any of their (or the banks) money into the kitty again this summer.
      redsonfire
      • Started Topic

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #31: Mar 20, 2009 02:23:25 pm
      I think the breakdown of the funds seems to be £10 million from Keane + £20 million from future prize money and other players sales, as you say.

I don't think the owners will be putting any of their (or the banks) money into the kitty again this summer.

As long as the fat cu*ts dont put the money into the pocket I don't mind, 30 million is already a big sum of money I think its enough we dont really have much to complain about though.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #32: Mar 20, 2009 02:37:16 pm
      All great players, bar Valencia who is a good player. Wouldnt mind any but how many times have i read something like this and nothing happened?

Do the usual and just wait and see.
      revelation
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #33: Mar 20, 2009 02:39:37 pm
      hicks could be sayin how happy he is and before we know it,he may be gone by the time he agrees some fee with DIC,walkin away with some large profit and he can sit back in his home countin and sniggering... he better start with the stadium soon...we cant wait forever to catch with the other clubs financially...
      but with the credit crunch not endin soon,and the stadium not even close to being started yet,we can only rely on rafa and his spanish influence make some good bargains and bring in some match-winners...
      meanwhile,we can win do the double and break the lousy devil's hearts to prove that we are the best in the world.afterall, we already totally owned their pathetic twice this season with another one in the champions' league final!
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #34: Mar 20, 2009 09:43:39 pm
      Iagree JD, and reading between the lines of Hick's statement it appears that what I said in the takeover thread is about to happen. that is Gillette will sell his stake to a third party and walk away with a nice profit, whereas fatty will retain a minority steak in the club, let the new owners finance/build the new stadium and then sell up in 4/5 years time when the value of the club has sky rocketed to 1 billion. What a pr*ck.
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #35: Mar 20, 2009 09:52:57 pm
      Stanley park???
      Do you not think that before the credit Crunch the Yanks knew that a new stadium would bring them more revenue/profit.
      It`s why they signed on.Hicks and Gillette arn`t mugs.They just signed Rafa on a new 5 yr deal,Top players are expected to follow.The Yanks know that spending profits on the club/team make the club/team more profitable/sucessfull.Dogging on the yanks is an easy Kop out.Parry is leaving,Rafa is supreme boss and we have 30 million to spend on a team that is close to perfection(Rafa style).We need to spend on our Bench,30 million should do it!!!!!!

dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #36: Mar 20, 2009 09:58:28 pm
      ONE QUESTION????

Would we be happy with Billionaire owners that can build a Pl/CL winning team that didn`t need a bigger stadium to finance 30 million pound signings????we could stay at Anfield and win the PL/CL on a regular basis??????
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #37: Mar 20, 2009 10:07:10 pm
      They say something, then change their views, and think we are F***ing too thick to remember things. They are treating us with F***ing contempt, like we don't matter to them.

Hicks believes the proposed new stadium, currently on hold, "is going to happen". Similarly his co-owner George Gillett promised this, that it would happen, within 60 days work would start. This was 2 years ago. Don't hold it against us, if we don't quite believe you Tom.

Basically Tom, We don't buy your PR spin. We don't buy your cosy little chats with Sky Sports News, courtesy of your PR company friends at Freuds, ran by Matthew Freud who is married to Elizabeth Murdoch, the daughter of Rupert Murdoch, who owns Sky. Like a family tea party. We don't buy the spin about how your son proposed to his now wife on the pitch at Anfield, or about how you watched the match with "10 scousers". We don't care for you dragging the family out of bed to watch a game, sitting in front of the fire with your Liverpool mug, and telling us Everton won't like that. You aren't like us, you aren't one of us, and never will be liked by any of us. Tell your mate George too.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #38: Mar 20, 2009 11:11:41 pm
      very pleased that Rafa has signed a new contract that i feel is a positive move ,money for new players?..you don't get a lot for £ 30 million so he has to spend /invest wisely or get rid of some surplus to requirement players to boost his spending power and cut wage bills, no doubt the scouts have people in mind already but it's an absolute must to ensure his present stars are signed up and happy first
      MsGerrard
      Reply #39: Mar 21, 2009 10:00:27 pm
      They say something, then change their views, and think we are f**king too thick to remember things. They are treating us with f**king contempt, like we don't matter to them.

Hicks believes the proposed new stadium, currently on hold, "is going to happen". Similarly his co-owner George Gillett promised this, that it would happen, within 60 days work would start. This was 2 years ago. Don't hold it against us, if we don't quite believe you Tom.

Basically Tom, We don't buy your PR spin. We don't buy your cosy little chats with Sky Sports News, courtesy of your PR company friends at Freuds, ran by Matthew Freud who is married to Elizabeth Murdoch, the daughter of Rupert Murdoch, who owns Sky. Like a family tea party. We don't buy the spin about how your son proposed to his now wife on the pitch at Anfield, or about how you watched the match with "10 scousers". We don't care for you dragging the family out of bed to watch a game, sitting in front of the fire with your Liverpool mug, and telling us Everton won't like that. You aren't like us, you aren't one of us, and never will be liked by any of us. Tell your mate George too.

Excellent post.
      Danny2304
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 663 posts |
      • Stairway to heaven
      Reply #40: Mar 21, 2009 10:12:24 pm
      I do hope he gets quite a bit of money.

Ashley young, Villa will be a few choices
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #41: Mar 22, 2009 12:58:38 pm
      Quote from HUYTON RED link=topic=15084.msg282499#msg

Spot on-its all F***ing spin the murdoch connection is the nail in the coffin and one things for sure it won't be LFC in the box.
      « Last Edit: Mar 22, 2009 03:27:21 pm by ayrton77 »
      NandoTheLegend
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts |
      Reply #42: Mar 22, 2009 03:48:43 pm
      Silva would fit in better than Villa for us.
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #43: Mar 22, 2009 03:56:16 pm
      Think there would be jealousy between Villa & Torres, don't think they are perfect match, not like Gerrard + Torres.

Quick Reply