Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

The turning point of Benitez' next five years

Read 2465 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      The turning point of Benitez' next five years
      Mar 19, 2009 06:39:51 pm
      Since these on-going threads have seemed to bring Liverpool a bit of good luck (yes it is down to me we're beaten Madrid and United  :f_tongueincheek: ) I'll keep it up.

Now obviously nobody yet knows what will be the turning point from now until 2014 for Rafa Benitez but for me it will be the start of the 2010/11 season because there will be a few questions that need answering depiending on how we fare next year. Around that time the following questions will arise;

1) Are Liverpool good enough to defend their Premiership title or was last year just a fluke? (if we win the league in 09/10)
      2) Is Rafa Benitez the right man to deliver a league title to Anfield or should Liverpool look else where? (if we fall short in 09/10)

Now I don't think why these questions are more likely to be asked ahead of 2010/11 seaons, rather than next, is because it'd of been two years where Benitez was picking his own transfers and hopefully the public problems off the field will have ended once and for all. After two years of picking his own players as well as the five he's had with Parry (which include some high quality players) he'll then be judged fairly.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: The turning point of Benitez' next five years
      Reply #1: Mar 19, 2009 07:29:08 pm
      ^^^^

Prediction changed to 4-1 for Sunday's match.
      aksh_jaj245
      • Forum David Johnson

• 238 posts |
      Reply #2: Mar 19, 2009 07:38:38 pm
      Dude.. its too far off to think of.. but hope the question one keeps popping..

robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #3: Mar 19, 2009 07:45:30 pm
      I think the main question will be. Can Rafa make Liverpool win 3 European Cups in a row after winning it for 2 years in a row, so eclipsing 1978
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #4: Mar 19, 2009 07:51:36 pm
      I think the main question will be. Can Rafa make Liverpool win 3 European Cups in a row after winning it for 2 years in a row, so eclipsing 1978
      I'd rather win the league 3 years in a row, but the champions league is welcome whenever it wants.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #5: Mar 19, 2009 07:53:42 pm

Were they not the turning point of his last five years?

If we don't get three points I'm holding you entirely responsible for the minor amendment.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #6: Mar 19, 2009 10:00:24 pm
      DLS the turning point of Rafa's next 5 years will be the success or failure of his next crop of signings ie for season 09/10.If he gets it right I would expect us to kick on for the title.Barring injuries, that squad should be able to compete at the top level for the next couple of years, by which time I fully expect his youth policy to bear fruits.One thing that success brings is top notch players wanting to come to the club and to play for a successful manager. However todays football is an unforgiving sport, owners/fans want instant and repeated success, and while no team has the God given right to success owners expect an immediate return on their financial investment and fans demand it for their emotional investment.So if Rafa's crop of so called "first choice" signings do not produce the goods, he will be held totally responsible by owners and fans alike. So for me, next year is a make or break year for Rafa, but I shall remain supportive of him until his position becomes untenable.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #7: Mar 19, 2009 11:18:30 pm
      I think Rafa's full potential will be realised next 2 seasons where his success at winning the prem title and champions league will get the very best players begging him to sign them, and also he will probably have a massive influence on the academy so young stars will benefit from his tactical genius
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #8: Mar 19, 2009 11:23:51 pm
      I'll be going for a 3-0 win. Cheers DLS.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #9: Mar 19, 2009 11:34:26 pm
      DLS the turning point of Rafa's next 5 years will be the success or failure of his next crop of signings ie for season 09/10.If he gets it right I would expect us to kick on for the title.Barring injuries, that squad should be able to compete at the top level for the next couple of years, by which time I fully expect his youth policy to bear fruits.One thing that success brings is top notch players wanting to come to the club and to play for a successful manager. However todays football is an unforgiving sport, owners/fans want instant and repeated success, and while no team has the God given right to success owners expect an immediate return on their financial investment and fans demand it for their emotional investment.So if Rafa's crop of so called "first choice" signings do not produce the goods, he will be held totally responsible by owners and fans alike. So for me, next year is a make or break year for Rafa, but I shall remain supportive of him until his position becomes untenable.

I agree there'll be a lot of pressure on him from this summer with him finally getting full control of transfers but I think even then he'll be given some lee-way as it being his first season with that control. That's why I think the second season with full control of transfers (2010/11) will be the judgement season.

I think fans (by and large) will accept another title push next season then expect us to kick on to champions the following season. Obviously all fans would love us to win the league next season and then defend it, but a title push would do most fans next year in my opinion. They'll see next year as a rebuilding process and getting rid of any sh*te Benitez has never really wanted/accepted. Then 2010/11 will hopefully be a squad of players Benitez is happy with. So that's when the questions will in my opinion be asked of the man.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #10: Mar 21, 2009 11:35:30 am
      We've got the basis of a very good squad.  Exceptionally difficult to beat and arguably only lacking one or two individuals.

We have one of the best keepers in the world, the best midfielder in the world and the best striker in the world.

I don't foresee a massive spending spree. He will be judged next season in a similar fashion to the end of this season by 'Are we seeing progress?'.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #11: Mar 21, 2009 06:14:29 pm
      Judging by today's result the turning point good luck charm has struck again. So everybody thank me for Fulham and Tottenham's wins today :laugh:
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #12: Mar 21, 2009 08:38:07 pm

I think fans (by and large) will accept another title push next season then expect us to kick on to champions the following season. Obviously all fans would love us to win the league next season and then defend it, but a title push would do most fans next year in my opinion. They'll see next year as a rebuilding process and getting rid of any sh*te Benitez has never really wanted/accepted. Then 2010/11 will hopefully be a squad of players Benitez is happy with. So that's when the questions will in my opinion be asked of the man.
      [/quote]I hope your right DLS, because as well as some first choice signings coming in, I would like to see some of the younger fringe players who have shown potential in this seasons brief appearances ie Spearing,Insua etc., being given an extended run say in the FA cup/League cup or second half of matches already won.By doing this we would be able to get a better assesment of their true potential. Crucially I believe that if we do this whilst continuing to play aggressive attacking football then doubting fans may well be more patient for no. 19.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #13: Mar 22, 2009 01:34:58 am
      I'm bumping this fresh for tomorrow.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #14: Mar 22, 2009 05:43:36 pm
      *ahem*

Three games in a row boys and girls.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #15: Mar 22, 2009 06:36:51 pm
      *ahem*

Three games in a row boys and girls.

If you check the post match thread you'll see our victories can also be attributed to my t-shirt! ;)

You keep writing these, and I'll keep not washing mine! :D

Quick Reply