Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Liverpool 5-0 Aston Villa - Post Match Chat

Read 28863 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Re: Liverpool 5-0 Aston Villa - Post Match Chat
      Reply #92: Mar 22, 2009 10:20:26 pm
      those draws are gonna come back and haunt us.

Or maybe getting a point in those games and avoiding defeat is going to come back and haunt United?
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #93: Mar 22, 2009 10:25:08 pm
      Or maybe getting a point in those games and avoiding defeat is going to come back and haunt United?

I've been saying that for ages :)
      if we win the league by a point or even on GD you can look at every single one of those draws and say, avoiding defeat in that game was huge.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,196 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #94: Mar 22, 2009 10:29:50 pm
      Great performance today just leaves you thinking if we had just beaten Brough.....if
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #95: Mar 22, 2009 10:34:58 pm
      Great performance today just leaves you thinking if we had just beaten Brough.....if

Solodee made a point the other week after the boro game saying it may have been the kick up the arse that the players needed to turn our season around so you can't say that if we beat boro, everything else would've happened the same.
      Didn't want to bring that up now because i might jinx our good run so if we get beat by fulham, feel free to heap the blame onto me :)
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #96: Mar 22, 2009 10:38:51 pm
      Just got home from the game tired but very happy with the day, we were on cruise control today thumped villa and made it look easy last thing we wanted was an international break ,nice to meet some of the people of the forum ,and big thanks to sven for turning up with a ticket for my mate ,what a day for my nephews first game at anfield live long in the memory that one he was there to see Stevi,s first prem hat trick .
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #97: Mar 22, 2009 10:44:10 pm
      Oh and as a bonus bumped into David Fairclough on the way out great day made even better one of my dads heroes so he was made up.
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #98: Mar 22, 2009 10:48:08 pm
      What a game it was, what a weekend it has been :D
      LFC-Holland
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #99: Mar 22, 2009 11:01:22 pm
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #100: Mar 22, 2009 11:03:40 pm
      Excellent minute's silence for our late club secretary. In the middle of it I was looking up at the sky and there was a single seagull gliding in a circle above the Anfield turf. I thought that was very fitting. And I had to mention it.

As for the game, we were pretty ruthless. But not ruthless enough I feel. Don't get me wrong, I was absolutely made up with how we took them apart. But it honestly felt like were stuck in 3rd gear! Seriously!

Before the game I was going on about how we had to send a message out and be ruthless. And we done that so well. There was some awesome passages of one touch football by the reds today and we went forward as a solid, dangerous unit. Some of the distribution from the back and from one wing to another was great to see. And the absolute focus at the back and especially from Pepe, was immense. I think ilovethereds mentioned earlier in this thread that it was like watching Liverpool in the 80's - my dad text me in the second half saying the same thing. And I totally agree. And I couldn't be more happier about that message.

But. We honestly could have been even better today. I'm not moaning by saying that, just simply stating an observation. So I'm not at all surprised that Rafa was wanting more.

Keep the belief going. It's unlikely that we'll carry on scoring 4 or 5 goals every game - even though it seems like we can. But if we don't, and things start seeming a little bit more tough, we've got to keep on believing that we are winners. We've sent a message out today not only to the other teams around us but also to ourselves.

By the way, it was great to sing along with Smiggs and MsG today. Well in girls! And was great to have a pint with mrtommo and meet andylfcynwa before the game - made up for your nephew mate.  And I was singing out loud for the usual suspects. YNWA!
      Adz
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,192 posts |
      Reply #101: Mar 22, 2009 11:07:58 pm
      Lovely weekend of football! :scarf: What a way to the the week, great all round performance by the lads, IMO Riera played one of his finest games in a red shirt and Arbeloa was also impressive coming back from injury.  ;) With lots of talk about Gerrard and Torres, Aurelio has been in the shadows a little bit, his performances recently have been very, very good hopefully he has past his injury troubles to finish the season on a high note. I was impressed by our attacking play with Torres not really getting into the game as usual. And lastly, congrats to Reina for breaking the record by showing what a great keeper he is with a few splendid saves and the assist for Riera's goal. :D
      RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #102: Mar 22, 2009 11:11:48 pm
      Great display today and brilliant to see us play some great football. 8 more to go now...
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,844 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #103: Mar 22, 2009 11:16:09 pm
      Good win today ,must admit i thought it was gonna be a closer match than the result shows ,after watching mod i was impressed by Riera and the best goalie in the world Pepe ! he's confident and is the first point of attack as well as being the last line of defence,didn't agree with the reo-coker yellow card that led to a goal ,but i had the advantage of slow motion replay and not the referee's view ,if we are gonna buy Gareth Barry i hope this was an off day for him...he's gonna struggle at liverpool to match xabi or masch ....fantastic result though made sweeter by the mancs result yesterday !
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #104: Mar 22, 2009 11:32:35 pm
      Fantastic result, just when you thought it couldnt get any better after

Champions League win

Man Utd win

Man Utd loss to Fulham

Red Cards to United

Chelsea loss to Spurs

The 5 goals against Villa means

It did get even better....... now the arguement about goal difference has also been taken away, meaning one less point we need to win the title.

Since Middlesborough it looks like Rafa has thrown away the handcuffs and just told them to go out there and attack. In other words, the low point of the season has potentially turned out to be a positive.
      We always look better when we attack, and we always look better when the game is end to end, open football.
      You always get that from Villa, as you do from United, and Real Madrid had no choice in the matter after conceding on their home patch.

Admittedly we could have conceded early, at 1-0 Villa looked dangerous for a spell,  but playing the open game is exactly what allows us to score heavily. We play far better against attacking teams than we do against the parked bus. All this momentum has to keep going, even if we pass United in the league I pray we dont tighten up and return to a more defensive mindset, because it is the "win at all cost" mentality that has been adopted when we seemingly had lost the title, that has put us back in contention.

Alonso is a really important cog, because it is when he plays that Gerrard gets further forward, and when Gerrard gets further forward, we look the most dangerous. Gerrard playing further up the park brings Kuyt and Riera into the match, and today they were both lively, because they received so much service.

I thought we played our strongest side today, and I would like to see that team start all the time, although I do prefer Benayoun coming on as a sub ahead of Lucas. Fulham is a good next game for us because they are pretty safe now, and have no reason to park the bus, they should come out and play football like they did against Man Utd, and that will suit us to a tee.

This attacking Liverpool team, with our recent results, has every football pundit throughout the world opening their eyes and realising that we are capable of things far greater than they imagined.

Just as Man Utd are struggling to find the back of the net it is raining goals at Liverpool. Hiddink and SAF will no doubt be having nightmares about how they can possibly stop this train.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #105: Mar 22, 2009 11:45:18 pm
      is rafa letting the  players dictae the agenda because the last three games we have reinvented ourselves. the soap operas are fading away. we have momentum now and man utd going the other way i hope. jesus answers  prayers
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Reply #106: Mar 23, 2009 12:21:42 am
      These last two weeks have been magic us beating madrid, man u and villa in style and putting our chase for two trophies back on lets hope this continues untill the end of the season.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #107: Mar 23, 2009 12:23:27 am
      i tell you lot something, rafa signing the new deal has done hell lot of good to the players. i think the soap opera days have gone for now.... and now we will see every lpool player give 100%

wtoday was a top performance, pity we couldnt get few more after they wer down to 10. torres had a poor game but we still thrashed them. happy dayz.

if we win our final 8 we will win the league as united will surely drop points.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #108: Mar 23, 2009 12:29:16 am
       Just watched the whole game on me sky + (workin today but stayed away from the result)What a performance!!Can't think of one player that would get less than an eight.Got to say it cos i've never said it before,thought Lucas came on and played with lots of confidence and was wanting the ball BIG TIME.Masha was marvelous,Skrtel magnificent,Albert was the biz (not before time )Stevie WELL !!!!!!And finally would anyone swap Xabi  
      For Barrie on todays and this seasons performances NFW.Oh and RAFA don't worry about the smiling, leave that to us.  :aaliverpoolwz0: :gt-happyup:
      The Anfield Warrior
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,029 posts | 32 
      • RED Blooded since '67
      Reply #109: Mar 23, 2009 12:49:12 am
      Here we go gathering cups in May.....
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #110: Mar 23, 2009 03:26:46 am
      Excellent minute's silence for our late club secretary. In the middle of it I was looking up at the sky and there was a single seagull gliding in a circle above the Anfield turf. I thought that was very fitting. And I had to mention it.

As for the game, we were pretty ruthless. But not ruthless enough I feel. Don't get me wrong, I was absolutely made up with how we took them apart. But it honestly felt like were stuck in 3rd gear! Seriously!

Before the game I was going on about how we had to send a message out and be ruthless. And we done that so well. There was some awesome passages of one touch football by the reds today and we went forward as a solid, dangerous unit. Some of the distribution from the back and from one wing to another was great to see. And the absolute focus at the back and especially from Pepe, was immense. I think ilovethereds mentioned earlier in this thread that it was like watching Liverpool in the 80's - my dad text me in the second half saying the same thing. And I totally agree. And I couldn't be more happier about that message.

But. We honestly could have been even better today. I'm not moaning by saying that, just simply stating an observation. So I'm not at all surprised that Rafa was wanting more.

Keep the belief going. It's unlikely that we'll carry on scoring 4 or 5 goals every game - even though it seems like we can. But if we don't, and things start seeming a little bit more tough, we've got to keep on believing that we are winners. We've sent a message out today not only to the other teams around us but also to ourselves.

By the way, it was great to sing along with Smiggs and MsG today. Well in girls! And was great to have a pint with mrtommo and meet andylfcynwa before the game - made up for your nephew mate.  And I was singing out loud for the usual suspects. YNWA!

So jealous of that last part.    I will be there soooon enough!!!!!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,692 posts | 6693 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #111: Mar 23, 2009 04:19:56 am
      Wow...2 weeks ago, who would have thought we were going to hammer 2 of the bigger teams in the EPL in consecutive rounds.

9 goals in 2 games and we've knocked off that GD b/w us and the Mancs.

Last night , just after half time, when we scored our 4th was the first time I can remember in a long time where I haven't had to sit in my uncomfortable good luck postion. I was able to relax. it was such a nice feeling.

RK was spot on when he said we could have got more but I'm still delighted with 5. Just wanted the cherry on top with Nando to score.

Some of the passing out of defence was sublime, one touch football that we know we can play but haven't always executed as well as we would have liked.

My MOTM was so hard to pick but I went for Masch...he was just everywhere and hardly let a ball get past him. Well in Masch. Also well done to the rest of the lads for a wonderful performance. Pity about the break....would have loved us to have just kept going and going with this form. You never know, the way we are going we could still end up with a nice points margin ahead of the Mancs and Chavs come the end of the season.  ;D

Well done lads.

mgcini.moyo
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #112: Mar 23, 2009 05:34:17 am
        gerrard is the best captain fantastic
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #113: Mar 23, 2009 05:51:53 am
      What a result! :D F***ing hell, why did I only predict 4-1 in the prediction league? :(

So chuffed with the lads, totally the performance I was looking for, plenty of urgency from everyone on the pitch, but no panic. Complete control.

Really pleased by Riera who put in a top display, as did Stevie, Xabi, Mach, Kuyt, Carra, Skrtel, Aurelio, Arbeloa and Reina! ;) Little disappointed by Torres, he and Stevie weren't quite on the same wavelength, but still some good touches from him. Could see the lads all were trying to give him a goal in the last 20 minutes, it would have capped off the afternoon really.

Fantastic stuff, on a high, keeping up the pressure! Can't ask anymore of the boys than what they did today.

On another note, I shan't be washing my 70's style t-shirt as it is still bringing us luck! :D I'm gonna stink for the next match, but it's for the good cause! :D

All the players played well.  Cant single out Nando because his presence was creating the oppourtunities for other players to get into scoring position.

As for Villa they need to beat ManU to give them chance for 4th place.  So good luck to them and hope Freidel will not be suspended because of the red card.

Had a good nights sleep here in Nepal after the game.  Hope we preform like we have always.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #114: Mar 23, 2009 06:03:07 am
      Riera was great last night. I am still awed how his flimsy looking Ronald Mc Donald sized boots are able to fire that volley in!

Quick Reply