Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

World Cup Qualifiers (International)

Read 8419 times
      MsGerrard
      Re: World Cup Qualifiers (International)
      Reply #46: Apr 01, 2009 09:53:59 pm
      Scotland..............wh o had to win this game, did so, they beat Iceland 2-1
      MsGerrard
      Reply #47: Apr 01, 2009 09:59:40 pm
      Wales lost to Germany 2-0, looks like Wales have had it now.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #48: Apr 01, 2009 10:01:52 pm
      Poor old Masch, losing 5-1 to Bolivia
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #49: Apr 01, 2009 10:02:37 pm
      Poor old Masch, losing 5-1 to Bolivia

What. The. F**k.

Argentina? Losing 5-1? Christ.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #50: Apr 01, 2009 10:06:40 pm
      1-0 to Northern Ireland....Warren Feeney. Does anyone else care ;D

Could the World Cup really be a possibility for us?

Hard to say, sucks for you guys that Slovakia won 2-1 away in Czech Rep, so they are only a point behind with two games in hand. Northern Ireland problem always been getting results away from Windsor Park
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #51: Apr 01, 2009 10:07:30 pm
      Do Bolivia play up in the mountains too?  I thought they were like near the bottom of that South American qualifying group.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #52: Apr 01, 2009 10:12:34 pm
      Hard to say, sucks for you guys that Slovakia won 2-1 away in Czech Rep, so they are only a point behind with two games in hand. Northern Ireland problem always been getting results away from Windsor Park

True that. Plus we got Poland and Czech Republic away with Slovakia at home which is a must win game. Maybe a win, draw, loss then hope other results go our way will be the only hope. Anyways its a farcry from a few years ago when we didn't score for like 12 games or something like that. Ever since we beat England :D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #53: Apr 01, 2009 10:15:25 pm
      RIERA NETS DRAMATIC WINNER

Steve Hunter 01 April 2009

Albert Riera netted a dramatic 90th minute winner as Spain came from behind to beat Turkey 2-1 in their World Cup qualifier at the Ataturk Olympic Stadium in Istanbul.
      Xabi Alonso was also on the mark when he netted the equaliser from the penalty spot.

Fernando Torres played for 85 minutes and looked sharp before being replaced by David Guiza.

Steven Gerrard set up a late winner for John Terry as England beat Ukraine 2-1 at Wembley. Gerrard played the full 90 minutes. Former Red Peter Crouch was also on the mark for Fabio Capello's team, while on loan Andriy Voronin started for Ukraine before being substituted.

There was joy for Dirk Kuyt who scored twice in Holland's 4-0 win over Macedonia. Kuyt played for 81 minutes, while Ryan Babel came on as a second half replacement for Arjen Robben.

Meanwhile, Daniel Agger played the full 90 minutes as Denmark beat Albania 3-0.

Yossi Benayoun came on as a 47th minute substitute for Israel in their 2-1 defeat in Greece.

********************************************************************************

Good to see Agger get 90 minutes, that will have done him good to get his match fitness up.

Sounds like Yossi's recovered from his injury  ???

Sounds like Torres played alright, didn't get much of a rest though did he? 5 mins.....was it worth it  ::)

Made up for Riera and Alonso, hope they carry this onto the game on Saturday.........and Kuyt as well, two goals for him tonight, well done Dirk
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2761 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #54: Apr 01, 2009 10:15:35 pm
      Good to see a few of our boys hitting the net can only be good even for Martin as hell be angry as f**k  :D

Lets hope we dont read any reports of injuries tomorrow hey
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #55: Apr 01, 2009 10:20:13 pm
      at the Ataturk Olympic Stadium in Istanbul.
      Xabi Alonso was also on the mark when he netted the equaliser from the penalty spot.

Hmmmm. Hasn't something similar happened before?

MsGerrard
      Reply #56: Apr 01, 2009 10:22:20 pm
      Hmmmm. Hasn't something similar happened before?

Ha ha......obviously one of his favourite grounds to score  ;D
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #57: Apr 01, 2009 11:13:35 pm
      Do Bolivia play up in the mountains too?  I thought they were like near the bottom of that South American qualifying group.

Yeah they play at altitude but regardless of that losing 6-1 to a crap side like that is embarrassing 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #58: Apr 02, 2009 01:42:48 am
      Maradonna in trouble me thinks. They should be belting Bolivia 6-1, not the other way round.

Dirk, Xabi and Albert all getting on the scoresheet, Stevie setting one up, Dagger in a clean sheet. Great night for reds. Well done boys!
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #59: Apr 02, 2009 06:13:43 am
      Maradonna in trouble me thinks. They should be belting Bolivia 6-1, not the other way round.
      i actually thought it was the other way round when my friend told me the final score. it was just simply SHOCKING.
      Argentina are my favourite team, and with players like messi, aguero, tevez, mascherano, maxi rodriguez(spelling?), 6-1 is the last think you would have expected.  :-\
      guess maradona wont be too happy that riquelme has left. should be calling him back.  the impact of riquelme leaving is clear.  :f_whistle:
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #60: Apr 02, 2009 08:25:15 am
      I doubt Riquelme would be able to help the defender stop letting them score, maybe if he played it would be 6-3 :D
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #61: Apr 02, 2009 09:27:25 am
      I doubt Riquelme would be able to help the defender stop letting them score, maybe if he played it would be 6-3 :D
      OR 6-7 ;)
      still, he is the best midfielder at Argentina's disposal. he brings in a lot of experience. true, he couldn't have defended, but I still love to see him play. a proper playmaker. there is no replacement for him.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #62: Apr 02, 2009 12:20:54 pm
      But they shouldn't need him. They have Mascherano, Cambiasso, Gutierrez, Gago, Messi, Maxi, Lucho Gonzalez among others.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #63: Apr 02, 2009 03:28:01 pm
      Not many Latin American teams win in Bolivia, in fact most hate playing there because of the altitude problems.

Theres always one qualifier where the Argies get thrashed, they'll come back win most of their other qualifiers and still be going the World Cup.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #64: Apr 02, 2009 08:39:03 pm
      still, he is the best midfielder at Argentina's disposal. he brings in a lot of experience. true, he couldn't have defended, but I still love to see him play. a proper playmaker. there is no replacement for him.

Yeah he is a dying breed of player, a original #10 on the pitch but I think his time as gone and now this team will be Messi's team to lead into the World Cup.

Theres always one qualifier where the Argies get thrashed, they'll come back win most of their other qualifiers and still be going the World Cup.

I think they will get through but it will be a hard, they have:

Columbia (h) - Decent side, drew Brazil twice 0-0
      Ecuador (a) - Another altitude match
      Brazil (h) - No need to explain that one
      Paraguay (a) - Best nation in the qualifiers
      Peru (h) - 3 points easy
      Uruguay (a) - local rivals

That is a tough run of game expect Peru, they will have it all to do in the coming months and could come in 5th and have to face a nation from my part of the world in a qualifier (looking like Mexico right now)

Quick Reply