Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Liverpool FC - The Reserves Thread

Read 425120 times
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 916 posts |
      Liverpool FC - The Reserves Thread
      Dec 12, 2006 05:07:32 pm
      I will put information of Liverpool FC reserves on here such as the goals and results and fixtures for those interested in the youth of liverpool FC

Blackburn Rovers FC(R)1-1 Liverpool FC(R)

The reserves captain (Danny Guthrie) scored a cracking goal with his left foot, great play from new Moroccan born striker, nabil el zhar who played a neat little one-two with Guthrie in the build up to the goal. it was zhar's cross which found Guthrie who scored the goal. the youngsters found themselves behind in just under 3 minutes when a free-kick was curled into the box and all liverpool defender ,  Godwin Antwi, could do was help the ball loop over the head of keeper David martin.

Liverpool Reserves: Martin, Smith, Threlfall, Roque, Antwi, Guthrie, Anderson, Idrizaj, Lindfield, El Zhar, Hammill.
      Subs: Darby, Roberts (GK), Flynn, Spearing, Burns.

MOTM: Guthrie because of his brilliant goal

# Team P W D L F A W D L F A Pts GD
      1 Middlesbrough 6 3 0 0 9 1 1 1 1 4 4 13  8
      2 Manchester United 6 3 0 0 10 3 1 0 2 3 4 12  6
      3 Newcastle United 5 2 2 0 7 5 1 0 0 4 1 11  5
      4 Manchester City 6 2 0 1 5 2 1 1 1 5 5 10  3
      5 Blackburn Rovers 6 2 1 0 3 1 1 0 2 2 2 10  2
      6 Sheffield United 6 2 0 1 3 3 1 1 1 5 4 10  1
      7 Everton 6 1 2 0 4 3 1 1 1 4 3 9  2
      8 Liverpool 5 0 0 3 3 8 1 0 1 3 2 3  -4
      9 Bolton Wanderers 5 0 0 1 1 3 1 0 3 2 7 3  -7
      10 Wigan Athletic 7 0 0 3 0 5 0 1 3 2 13 1  -16

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2006 10:13:09 pm by JD »
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Re: The reserves
      Reply #1: Dec 12, 2006 05:47:44 pm
      Good idea for a topic Willow. 

Must admit I don't catch much of the reserves so it will be good to see how the next generation of Stevie G's and God's are getting on.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 916 posts |
      Reply #2: Dec 12, 2006 09:12:20 pm
      Thanks KK, I thought the same myself and didn't think many people would know how they were getting on so this is why I have decided to do this. I will try to do it thou out all of the seasons as long as this forum stays online

These are the remaining fixtures of the 06/07 season

20 Dec, 2006 Bolton Wanderers FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) A 19:00 -
      10 Jan, 2007 Sheffield United FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) A 19:00 -
      23 Jan, 2007 Everton FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) H 19:00 -
      01 Feb, 2007 Manchester United FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) H 19:00 -
      12 Feb, 2007 Newcastle United FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) A 19:00 -
      20 Feb, 2007 Bolton Wanderers FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) H 19:00 -
      06 Mar, 2007 Middlesbrough FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) A 19:00 -
      13 Mar, 2007 Wigan Athletic FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) H 19:00 -
      20 Mar, 2007 Blackburn Rovers FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) H 19:00 -
      03 Apr, 2007 Manchester City FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) A 19:00 -
      11 Apr, 2007 Sheffield United FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) H 19:00 -
      19 Apr, 2007 Manchester United FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) A 19:00 -
      « Last Edit: Dec 12, 2006 10:17:54 pm by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #3: Dec 12, 2006 10:11:10 pm
      Thanks KK, I thought the same myself and didn't think many people would know how they were getting on so this is why I have decided to do this.

I will try to do it thou out all of the seasons as long as this forum stays online.

Do you know something I don't? ;)

Excellent idea for a post - you could be the site's Reserve reporter.
      « Last Edit: Dec 12, 2006 10:14:45 pm by JD »
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 916 posts |
      Re: Liverpool FC - The Reserves Thread
      Reply #4: Dec 13, 2006 05:40:20 pm
      that is a job i would like to do JD
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #5: Dec 13, 2006 08:02:23 pm
      Nice one for updating the reserves, might be worth finding out and posting where the games are staged at also. I believe that Blackburn play there games up at Morcambe of all places.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 916 posts |
      Reply #6: Dec 13, 2006 08:19:17 pm
      Liverpool play at the Racecourse which is home to league two outfit wrexham.

Apparently Rick Parry's nephew plays for wrexham youth academy and this is also the reason why we have the annual friendly against them.

Wrexham have recently fallen in to administration following the appointment of chairman Alex Hamilton. Hamilton attempted to sell parts of the racecourse ground to his other businesses which left wrexham with a huge debt, then they were deducted 10 points somewhere in the middle of the season and unfortunately got relegated to league two were they are currently at mid-table and are struggling.

Just thought you might like to know the background on the ground owners of the reserves home
      « Last Edit: Dec 14, 2006 12:06:51 am by Jabba »
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #7: Dec 14, 2006 12:15:49 am
      Liverpool play at the Racecourse which is home to league two outfit wrexham.

Apparently Rick Parry's nephew plays for wrexham youth academy and this is also the reason why we have the annual friendly against them.

Yep - sure the annual friendly is MORE to do with us using their ground than due to Rick Parry's nephew.... ;)

Personally I think its a shame that they don't play more friendlies at for instance The Academy or even some local sides such as Prescot Cables or even St. Helens Rugby League Ground.  Anybody else's thoughts on this?
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 916 posts |
      Reply #8: Dec 14, 2006 06:31:20 pm
      well wrexham is a long way away from liverpool. St. Helens Rugby League Ground would be an interesting place
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #9: Dec 14, 2006 08:24:51 pm
      Didnt they used to play at Chester at one point ?
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 916 posts |
      Reply #10: Dec 14, 2006 08:29:08 pm
      not too sure i have only started taking a big interest since like last year
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #11: Dec 14, 2006 08:59:40 pm
      Didnt they used to play at Chester at one point ?

yes matey, they played there about 3/4 years ago. went to watch them v's Moan Urinals reserves. Gary Neville used it as a comeback match, before kick off he was signing autographs for the kids when these lads asked for his autograph, a little bemused by these lads in Liverpool shirts, he signed his name nevertheless. As soon as he handed the signed paper over, these lads smiled and ripped it up right in front of his face - PRICELESS !!!!!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #12: Dec 14, 2006 09:03:31 pm
      yes matey, they played there about 3/4 years ago. went to watch them v's Moan Urinals reserves. Gary Neville used it as a comeback match, before kick off he was signing autographs for the kids when these lads asked for his autograph, a little bemused by these lads in Liverpool shirts, he signed his name nevertheless. As soon as he handed the signed paper over, these lads smiled and ripped it up right in front of his face - PRICELESS !!!!!

Nice one hehe !!  ;D
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #13: Dec 14, 2006 09:06:02 pm
      great idea for a thread willow, dont really follow the reserves. does rafa usually play youngsters in the reserves?
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 916 posts |
      Reply #14: Dec 15, 2006 08:55:16 pm
      yeah all the time Liverpool Reserves: Martin, Smith, Threlfall, Roque, Antwi, Guthrie, Anderson, Idrizaj, Lindfield, El Zhar, Hammill.
      Subs: Darby, Roberts (GK), Flynn, Spearing, Burns. this was the team from the other night there all youngters

news concerning youth of liverpool fc

Rafael Benitez has reaffirmed his commitment to scouring the globe for the best young talent – regardless of how big his transfer kitty is in the future. 
      The Liverpool boss highlighted Mark Gonzalez and Daniel Agger as the type of players he wants to sign.

"When we signed Agger we were looking for a young player with experience and quality who we knew would be good for the future," he said.

"Both Agger and Mark Gonzalez are like this, because not only can they show their ability now, they are prospects.

"These are the types of player we are always looking for to improve the squad."

Benitez also hailed centre-back Agger as a creative force.

"We knew Agger was a player who is not only strong in defence but can pass the ball well and move it around the pitch at a high tempo.

"You saw he did this very well against Fulham." 
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #15: Dec 15, 2006 10:26:38 pm
      great idea for a thread willow, dont really follow the reserves. does rafa usually play youngsters in the reserves?

Yes.  Personally I think the likes of Fowler should be maintaining their fitness by playing in the reserves like we did in the old days, but Rafa seems totally against first team squad players being involved. 

When exactly does Dudek for instance get his match experience?
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 916 posts |
      Reply #16: Dec 17, 2006 08:43:36 pm
      Yes.  Personally I think the likes of Fowler should be maintaining their fitness by playing in the reserves like we did in the old days, but Rafa seems totally against first team squad players being involved. 

When exactly does Dudek for instance get his match experience?
      Not to sure why he didnt against blackburn
      « Last Edit: Dec 17, 2006 08:56:31 pm by Jabba »
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #17: Dec 17, 2006 08:58:54 pm
      Not to sure why he didnt against blackburn

This is my whole point.  The first team squad members do not play in the reserves.  Fowler for instance should be playing, Dudek should be playing, if he isn't playing in the first team Agger or Hyypia should be playing - so when they are called on again for the first team they are match fit.

I think maybe a 'B' side would be useful, or at least some kind of tournament - you can't say a TV company wouldn't be interested in some kind of Premiership B league - or even a European B league??

Anyway, I am hijacking your Reserves thread here with another topic.  Just wanted to make a point.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 916 posts |
      Reply #18: Dec 17, 2006 09:01:18 pm
      A 'B' side would be interesting just wondering what TV company will be interested
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #19: Dec 18, 2006 11:36:51 pm
      well wrexham is a long way away from liverpool. St. Helens Rugby League Ground would be an interesting place

Wrexham is only about 1 hours drive from town and there's a direct rail link from Bidston train station on the Wirral. The best way to get there is the Chester train from Central. Bevvie in Chester and a Taxi from Chester costs £15. I've had lots of fun in Preseason following these travel plans!!!
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #20: Dec 18, 2006 11:58:20 pm
      Ooo the bidston eh.
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 916 posts |
      Reply #21: Dec 23, 2006 12:39:22 pm
      I'll do the match report tomorrow afternoon because i'am going to see liverpool play arsenal tonight.
      Stephen Warnock made a successful return to action after injury but it was a disappointing night for Liverpool Reserves as they lost 1-0 to Bolton Wanderers at the Lancashire FA County Ground in Leyland.

Warnock played for the second 45 minutes in his first match since the Carling Cup win over Birmingham City on November 8th. He replaced Fabio Aurelio after the Brazilian played the opening 45 minutes of the match.

There was some controversy about the only goal of the game and Liverpool will quite rightly feel annoyed as it appeared to be off-side by some distance. Ricardo Vaz Te ran on to a through ball and slotted past David Martin to give Bolton the three points.

Overall Gary Ablett's side were unlucky not to take anything from the game. In the first half the Reds struggled against Bolton's physical and direct style of football.

However, the team started to pick things up in the final half hour of the game and they carved out some great openings. Danny Guthrie was always bright in midfield for Liverpool and he was unlucky when he saw an effort cleared off the line after a superb run into the penalty area. Besian Idrizaj also saw his header cleared off the line and Lee Peltier was denied a goal after a fine save from Ali Al-Habsi.

Liverpool laid siege to the Bolton goal in the final 10 minutes of the game but try as they might they just couldn't find an equaliser as Bolton frantically charged down efforts.

Argentine Gabriel Paletta played the full 90 minutes for Liverpool and he and Miki Roque were superb at the back. They dealt with Bolton's aerial bombardment really well and Peltier also had a solid game at right back.

Bolton Wanderers Reserves: Al-Habsi, Charlesworth, Gardner, Cassidy, Ellis, Augustyn, Sinclair, Andranik, Smith, Tal, Vaz Te.

Liverpool Reserves: Martin, Peltier, Aurelio (Warnock 45), Roque, Paletta, Guthrie, Anderson (Flynn 82), Idrizaj, Lindfield (Antwi 70), El Zhar, Hammill. Subs not used: Roberts (GK), Darby.

Liverpoolfc.tv Man of the Match: Miki Roque. Solid as a rock at the back and made some brilliant interceptions.

Ablett couldn't hide his frustration and disappointment after seeing his team lose their final game of the year.

"It's a horrible way to end the year for us and I have told the boys after Christmas we need to be desperate to get back into training and work hard," Ablett told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"To have a record of played seven games and lost five is not acceptable for Liverpool Football Club. Our record at the moment just isn't good enough, it's as simple as that and we are better than that and we should aim to be a lot better.

"Again we have had enough of the ball to have got something out of the game but it was only in the last 15 minutes or so that we really started to get at them. Whether the goal was off-side or not was another thing but I just wonder why we don't have that kind of desire from the first minute of the game. That's something us as staff need to look at and the players themselves.

"I put big Godwin Antwi up front for the final 20 minutes or so of the game and he gave us more strength. We just felt that Craig Lindfield wasn't getting much joy out of their two centre halves who were big and strong. Godwin unsettled them for us and he changed the game when we started to create chances.

"Danny Guthrie and Besian Idrizaj had efforts cleared off the line and we had numerous other shots blocked. Our delivery from set pieces was outstanding but to me we haven't got anyone who will throw his head at something and risk getting a broken nose."
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #22: Jan 05, 2007 07:16:51 pm
      Liverpool Reserves 2 - 1 Leeds Reserves
      3/1/07

England youth international Craig Lindfield scored twice as Liverpool Reserves beat Leeds United 2-1 in a friendly at a windswept Kirkby Academy on Wednesday afternoon. 
      Brazilian Fabio Aurelio played the first 45 minutes of the game and Argentine centre half Gabriel Paletta was also in action while Danny Guthrie captained the side.

After a goalless first half Lindfield came off the bench to score twice to seal a 2-1 win for Gary Ablett's side.

"I was very pleased with our performance and Craig scored two superb goals," Ablett told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"For his first goal Nabil El Zhar combined well with Paul Anderson and Craig got on the end of the cross and finished really well. Then for his second goal Craig beat the Leeds defender and curled the ball past the keeper into the far corner of the net.

"It was difficult at times in the first half because of the wind but in the second half myself and Hughie McAuley were delighted with the lads and we played some really good stuff.

"The only disappointing thing from our point of view was the goal we conceded from a corner which could have been avoided but we have made a great start to the year and the attitude from the players was first class."

Liverpool Reserves: David Martin, Godwin Antwi, Fabio Aurelio (Robbie Threlfall 45), Miki Roque, Gabriel Paletta, Danny Guthrie, Paul Anderson, Ryan Flynn, Besian Idrizaj (Craig Lindfield 35), Nabil El Zhar, Adam Hammill.

Ablett's side are next in action when they entertain Sheffield United at Wrexham's Racecourse Ground next Wednesday night (January 10th, 7pm). 

Quick Reply