Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool FC - The Reserves Thread

Read 426687 times
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Liverpool FC - The Reserves Thread
      Reply #69: Oct 11, 2007 08:53:17 pm
      Full time score 1-1 bit frustrating but Lucas, Spearing and Leto are all looking in good shape it would be good to see some of them in the next round of the Carling Cup Rafa ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #70: Oct 11, 2007 09:39:28 pm
      Full time score 1-1 bit frustrating but Lucas, Spearing and Leto are all looking in good shape it would be good to see some of them in the next round of the Carling Cup Rafa ;)

I was very frustrated mate. We outsmarted them and outplayed them for huge parts of the game. But the concentration dropped in the last ten minutes and we let them in.  ::) To be fair, we looked tired near the end. More tired than them. But I reckon Gary and the lads will feel disappointed they couldn't come away with a win there tonight.

Leto ran the show down the left. Took their right back to the cleaners a good few times and put some great crosses in.
      Lucas looked very much in control of the middle and played some beautiful passes.
      Spearing once again man of the match. I think he plays better in midfield as opposed to his defence position when he was in the youth team. Runs all day long for the team, got some very good skill and if he sees a chance, he's not scared to have a go. His goal was well deserved and he was unlucky not to get another one or two.
      First time I've seen Plessis play and he looks quite decent playing a holding midfield role. You can tell he needs experience but he's got a cool head. Must be nearly as big as Crouch?!!
      Insua had a good game as well apart from one or two poor passes.
      San Jose and Hobbs at the back looked like a decent partnership although the ball wasn't really there for them to deal with most of the game. San Jose was unlucky at the end not to get on the end of a Hobbs flick on from a corner. As was Lucas near the end seeing his header come painfully close, hitting the post! Should have been the winner. Unlucky!!

Good game and some good performances. Rafa was there watching on. Hopefully some food for thought.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #71: Oct 11, 2007 09:57:10 pm
      Read this on the Times website

'Gary Neville has suffered another setback in his bid to recover from the longest injury layoff of his career, having pulled out of a proposed come-back match for Manchester United reserves against Liverpool last night.'

One word - shitbag.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #72: Oct 11, 2007 10:22:23 pm
      Afraid of Leto no doubt....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #73: Oct 11, 2007 10:33:03 pm
      Good to hear about Leto.  But how much can be read in to the opposition?

Seems the reserves are taking a leaf out of the senior squad with their draws!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #74: Oct 11, 2007 10:35:28 pm
      Good report that Kenny, cheers mate ;)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #75: Oct 11, 2007 10:36:06 pm
      Good to hear about Leto.  But how much can be read in to the opposition?

Seems the reserves are taking a leaf out of the senior squad with their draws!

Yea in no but at least the reserves are playing well, i find myself frustrated with the slowness of teh first team lately, but i still have faith we can come through this
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #76: Oct 11, 2007 10:43:30 pm
      The opposition didn't look up to much but I think that was down to the quality we possesed. They were encouraged by our lack of concentration near the end though. When you think of it, vice versa to the senior squad of late....
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #77: Oct 11, 2007 10:47:19 pm
      ya it would be fine if  we  could make 11 subs. I thought Hobbs done everything right, spearing had a good game, we were pretty comfortable till the last 10 minutes.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #78: Oct 23, 2007 03:48:06 pm
      Just a quick reminder, of the up and coming fixture for anyone interested.
      A chance to watch the stars of the future.

25 Oct    Newcastle United         FA Premiership Reserves League (Northern Division) Home         19:00

Admission will be by payment of cash at the turnstiles on the night of each game:

ADULTS - £5.00
      CONCESSIONS (UNDER 16’S AND OVER 65’S) - £2.00

The Halliwell Jones Stadium
      Winwick Road
      Warrington
      WA2 7NE

Telephone: 01925 248880

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #79: Oct 23, 2007 05:51:31 pm
      do the reserves play on Fridays? I wouldnt mind going to a reserve match if I was heading to Liverpool for a weekend. Warrington is close enough isnt it?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #80: Oct 23, 2007 06:03:59 pm
      Not too sure if they play on a Friday mate, but Warington is about an half hour drive from Anfield. Just take a long weekend from Thursday. Problem solved...
      MsGerrard
      Reply #81: Oct 23, 2007 07:03:00 pm
      do the reserves play on Fridays? I wouldn't mind going to a reserve match if I was heading to Liverpool for a weekend. Warrington is close enough isn't it?

25th October is this Thursday, the following home game is Tuesday 6th November against Bolton, and then another home game against Blackburn on Tuesday 13th November, sorry Brian they have no home fixtures on a Friday.

Unless of course they change any of the dates.

All games kick off at 7pm.

Hope this is of some use to you, or maybe not!!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      Reply #82: Oct 23, 2007 07:43:45 pm
      25th October is this Thursday, the following home game is Tuesday 6th November against Bolton, and then another home game against Blackburn on Tuesday 13th November, sorry Brian they have no home fixtures on a Friday.

Unless of course they change any of the dates.

All games kick off at 7pm.

Hope this is of some use to you, or maybe not!!

Thanks MsGerrard sadly it would be nearly impossiible for me to get over (from Dublin) on aTuesday or Thursday
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #83: Nov 14, 2007 12:42:30 am
      Reds Reserves 0-0 Blackburn (Report from the Official Site)

Liverpool Reserves failed to break the deadlock despite dominating a 0-0 draw with Blackburn Rovers on Tuesday night.

The Reds had an extra man for much of the match following the sending off of German midfielder Sergio Peter for a disgraceful kick on Sebastian Leto.

Promising displays from Leto, Daniel Pacheco and the consistent Stephen Darby will at least give Gary Ablett heart, as will the fact his side have lost just one of their eight Northern Premier League fixtures this season.

Liverpool's first attempt on goal at Warrington's Halliwell Jones Stadium came after just three minutes when Mikel San Jose shot over from distance. Then it took four men to stop Leto roving down the left during what was proving to be a decent start for Ablett's cosmopolitan reserves.

Next in line for a pop at goal was the impressive Damien Plessis, who hit a bicycle kick narrowly wide with 20 minutes on the clock after a smart ball in from Ray 'Razor' Putterill.

Another promising opportunity was spurned when Paraguayan Ronald Huth and his South American counterpart Leto made a dog's dinner of a set piece on the edge of the box.

Then came one of the moments of the match when Leto – the aforementioned free-kick clearly forgotten – produced an unbelievable piece of skill. His ball through to Plessis was half back-heel, half Maradona spin. Class.

Word has it a few of the foreign contingent asked for long sleeves as kick off approached on this freezing Cheshire night. Ablett naturally refused.

Never mind, the game started to heat up soon enough. So much so that referee Paul Curry had to produce a straight red with 31 minutes gone following a spicy challenge by Blackburn number seven Peter, who, aggrieved about an earlier tackle, booted Leto in the chest.

Undeterred, Liverpool's young Argentine continued to be at the centre of everything, though his next shot was more in tune with Warrington's rugby traditions than any football aspirations the town may have.

Some promising first-half play from the Reds then, but without any final product. The introduction of Spanish starlet Daniel Pacheco for Putterill at the break was designed to solve that.

The youngster was immediately put on set piece duty and he placed a fine ball onto Jack Hobbs' head on 52 minutes. Again, nothing came of it.

Pacheco was then put through by Spearing only to be thwarted by the linesman's flag.

The former Barcelona trainee looks a real find: floating between the lines, always willing to receive the ball and with a canny knack of getting out of tight spots.

For all his and Liverpool's efforts though, Rovers keeper Peter Enckelman – remember his blooper in the Birmingham derby? – had yet to be forced into a serious save.

The modest crowd of 2,097 was treated to a glimpse of Argentine prospect Gerardo Bruna with 12 minutes to go.

Unfortunately he couldn't inspire a late winner.

Liverpoolfc.tv man of the match: Stephen Darby.

David Martin, Stephen Darby, Emiliano Insua, Jack Hobbs (cap), Ronald Huth (Gerardo Bruna 79), Damien Plessis, Ray Putterill (Daniel Pacheco 45), Mikel San Jose Dominguez, Jordy Brouwer, Jay Spearing, Sebastian Leto. Subs not used: Peter Gulacsi, Martin Kelly, Daniel Ayala.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      Reply #84: Nov 15, 2007 08:31:10 pm
      cheers for the report JD

Am I right in thinking that we have several very good prospects in the reserves? Ive been impressed by Leto, Spearing and especially Insua. But one to watch for me would be Ray Putterill (sp) seems to come off the bench a lot but looks a decent young player.  Add in Brouwer and we have a bright future I think
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #85: Nov 15, 2007 11:51:56 pm
      cheers for the report JD

Am I right in thinking that we have several very good prospects in the reserves? Ive been impressed by Leto, Spearing and especially Insua. But one to watch for me would be Ray Putterill (sp) seems to come off the bench a lot but looks a decent young player.  Add in Brouwer and we have a bright future I think

I thought Putterill should have got the nod ahead of Leto in the Cardiff game a few weeks back.  He is arguably the most promising of our youth players.  Spearing too - I think he would really step up a gear playing alongside Stevie G or whoever.

My opinions are that the players who aren't getting regular first team games should be playing in these reserve games and the young lads could learn so much from them. 

If I was in charge I would definitely use the reserve system in a different way.  When, exactly, are these younger lads supposed to learn their trade from their fellow professionals - on the sterile training field?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      Reply #86: Nov 16, 2007 12:20:08 pm
      I think RAfa was right JD when he said the reserves should play in the 1st or 2nd division as Liverpool B like they do in Spain. And maybe allow the b teams enter the lge cup as a separate entity from the first team so they have something to aim for (other then trying to get in-the first team obviously)

But certainly having seen some games this season I'm going to take a bigger intrest in the reserves and maybe even try and get over to a  game some time
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #87: Nov 16, 2007 12:44:29 pm
      Does the table tells us something about the quality of players that we have in the reserve team???
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #88: Nov 27, 2007 09:53:11 pm
      Manchester City Reserves  2 - 3  Liverpool Reserves

Jordy Brouwer hit a dramatic late winner and Krisztian Nemeth fired a debut double as Liverpool Reserves clinched a 3-2 win over Manchester City at the Regional Athletics Arena. 
      The Dutchman was on hand to fire home his third league goal of the season on 87 minutes to ensure the Reds leapfrogged their opponents into third place in the Barclays Premier Reserve League North after City had twice come back to level.

The match had seemed like being the Nemeth show early on, as the highly-rated 18-year-old striker, who arrived from MTK Hungaria in the summer, marked an eye-catching appearance with a first-half brace.

The home side began the contest with real purpose but they were stunned as early as the second minute when Liverpool broke forward to take the lead with their first attack of the match.

Jay Spearing was the architect of the move, playing a defence splitting pass through to Nemeth who marked his debut in style when he showed great composure to slot the ball beyond the advancing Filip Mentel in the City goal.

It knocked the wind out of the home side's sails and the Reds could have doubled their advantage nine minutes later but Nabil El Zhar's low cross was brilliantly cleared at the near post with the dangerous Nemeth lurking.

A scrappy opening was then marred by an injury to City's highly-rated England youth international Javan Vidal on 21 minutes, who left the field on a stretcher after a collision with one of his own teammates.

The incident seemed to spur Ian Miller's side into life and they created their first real opportunity of the match on 27 minutes when Kelvin Etuhu's drilled cross shot from the right was deflected just wide of debutant keeper Peter Gulacsi's far post, with David Ball inches away from tapping home the equaliser.

Liverpool responded and when Spearing fed El Zhar, the Moroccan jinked past one and played a great ball to Nemeth who was unlucky not double his tally when he saw his effort crash back off the near post.

The visitors were in the ascendancy and it should have been all over on 39 minutes but Ray Putterill was thwarted by the agility of City keeper Filip Mental, after a flowing move involving Nemeth, El Zhar and Spearing.

It proved to be a significant save too as they made Liverpool pay for their inability to make their dominance count a minute later when a free-kick from the right was hooked in at the near post by David Ball to give the hosts a surprise equaliser.

But they would be level for just two minutes as a frantic finish to the first period saw Nemeth grab his second of the match when he headed home at the far post after Putterill's left-wing corner deceived Mentel.

The second period began in a similar fashion to the first with City keen to exert some kind of authority on the proceedings and Ball had City's first real opportunity when he had three efforts magnificently blocked inside the area.

Nemeth then missed a great chance to complete his hat-trick seconds later as both sides went close.

It was the last action the Hungarian starlet would see and it was his replacement Daniel Pacheco who had the Reds' next opportunity when he flashed a shot inches past the post after his initial effort was brilliantly blocked by Mentel on 69 minutes.

Ablett's men had had enough chances to sew up the victory by this point but they were again made to curse their inability to finish sides off as Ball poached his second of the match on 73 minutes after a low ball into the area found him in space inside the six yard box.

Both teams then had chances to win it before Brouwer secured the points on 87 minutes when he fired home from close range after Stephen Darby had crossed from the right.

Teams: Man City Reserves: Mentel, Vidal (Obeng 21), Williamson, Mee, Breen (McDonald 71), Clayton (Daly 54), Etuhu, Grimes, Ball, Marshall, Moore

Liverpool Reserves: Gulacsi, Darby, Insua, Kelly, San Jose, Spearing (Huth 90), Plessis, El Zhar, Brouwer, Nemeth (Pacheco 68), Putterill (Crowther 81)

Referee: Mr P Quinn

Liverpoolfc.tv Man of the Match: Jay Spearing: Another inspired display from the midfield man. At the heart of Liverpool's best attacks. 
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #89: Nov 27, 2007 10:30:13 pm
      Anyone watch it? I only seen the goals myself but it sounded like we had a good few chances to get a big score. Good to see Nemeth bag a double on his debut. First one was slotted in with the outside of his right foot - quick thinking. But his second was on a plate served with chips! No defence at all on the back stick so he had an easy header. Brouwers was well taken. Slid in ahead of the defender to knock it home in the six yard box. Great piece of vision from (once again) man of the match Spearing, to set the move up.
      I caught myself smiling. Whatever next...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #90: Nov 28, 2007 01:55:35 am
      Didn't realise this was on.  Might have driven over.

Hopefully the goals will be on the e-season thing.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #91: Dec 04, 2007 12:48:06 am
      Just a small matter of the mini derby today. 7:30pm kick off at the Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington.

£5 Adults. Concessions (under 16's and over 65's) £2. Pay on the gate.

Let's kick those bitter blue nose' arses!

Anyone going?

Quick Reply