Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Liverpool FC - The Reserves Thread

Read 430368 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,521 posts | 2874 
      Re: Liverpool FC - The Reserves Thread
      Reply #4071: Jan 22, 2017 03:08:29 pm
      Liked the look of Brewster, first time I've properly watched him.
      JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #4072: Jan 22, 2017 05:46:31 pm
      Because they were playing against seasoned professionals that are flying high at the top of the league, that train together as a team on a daily basis and know every trick in the book. 

If you were paying attention you'd have noticed the difference in play once Sturridge and Coutinho went off and Ojo and Wilson came on.  The front players were playing on instinct, knowing where their teammates would be, you know a bit like how the seniors play when Cou, Bobby, Mane, Lallana and Gini all play together.

Ffs!!  This is my one f**king place of solitude and optimism, if you wanna be negative go back to the whinging bas**rds infesting every other thread and leave those of us who enjoy youth footy in peace  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:lmao: Outstanding post Debs, some people will lambast our first team players, rightly or wrongly, as you say that should be in another thread. However, when we find it acceptable to criticise boys ( Woodburn is still only 17!) we are verging on bullying, either way it's wrong!

On Woodburn, after today's performance I am wondering if I haven't underestimated him. I knew he was good, I was excited at the prospect of him, but I thought he took the piss today and oozed class!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4073: Jan 22, 2017 05:48:23 pm
      Is there any way to watch full 90 mins of this game? I missed it :(
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #4074: Jan 22, 2017 06:06:06 pm
      Ffs!!  This is my one f**king place of solitude and optimism, if you wanna be negative go back to the whinging bas**rds infesting every other thread and leave those of us who enjoy youth footy in peace

Not having this...you've got  the u-18's thread as well! i forgot all about this game,gonna have to bum around the forums to find the highlights now.I see Chirivella scored the go ahead goal for the eagles today,finished 1-1 but they're off the bottom of the table.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4075: Jan 22, 2017 06:22:26 pm
      :lmao: Outstanding post Debs, some people will lambast our first team players, rightly or wrongly, as you say that should be in another thread. However, when we find it acceptable to criticise boys ( Woodburn is still only 17!) we are verging on bullying, either way it's wrong!

On Woodburn, after today's performance I am wondering if I haven't underestimated him. I knew he was good, I was excited at the prospect of him, but I thought he took the piss today and oozed class!

Agreed mate, bullying at it's very worst too.

As for Woodburn, he was thoroughly enjoying himself in that central role.  Bossed the whole game, dictated everything we did and yeah, he took the piss  :D

Being groomed for the Lallana role??  I'd say so after today and the later part of the Plymouth game too.

They all played well and those of you who missed it and want a glimpse of the future I'd try and find the full game, there's no way lfctv can fit all the highlights into a 15 minute slot, that's as near to Klopps Dortmund as I've seen us play. 

Sure they had chances and our keeper had a few saves to make but generally they were never in it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4076: Jan 22, 2017 06:24:47 pm

Not having this...you've got  the u-18's thread as well! i forgot all about this game,gonna have to bum around the forums to find the highlights now.I see Chirivella scored the go ahead goal for the eagles today,finished 1-1 but they're off the bottom of the table.

This is true mate but my ire was raging at my young guns being criticised. 

A tigress and her cubs and all that  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #4077: Jan 23, 2017 05:07:55 pm
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #4078: Jan 24, 2017 11:30:01 pm
      Glad they are playing well today but how come the same players were sh*te against Plymouth?

Nerves ! Knowing theres always some goon expecting them to perform like seasoned Prem players.
      Kopite78
      Reply #4079: Jan 24, 2017 11:36:31 pm
      Nerves ! Knowing theres always some goon expecting them to perform like seasoned Prem players.

It's not really nerves,  if anything kids don't suffer from nerves, not the best, look at the likes of Fowler and Mcmanaman, Owen etc... no nerves

Problem was they are all young kids playing against seasoned pros who were playing the biggest game of their lives
      Big F**k off men kicking kids around, kids with just other kids around them,  no senior pro to take the strain
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4080: Jan 29, 2017 11:30:16 am
      Not watching this as Paul's watching last nights boxing that he recorded but I've got it on record so will be following it shortly as we're on round 10 of 12  ;D

Todays teamsheet.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4081: Jan 29, 2017 12:00:10 pm
      Surprised ojo wasn't involved yesterday
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4082: Jan 29, 2017 12:00:54 pm
      Looking forward to seeing these lads again after the Ipswich game last week.  It's a much younger team than we've been used to this season with both Sakho and Ilori missing from the defence but thankfully it's giving Masterson the opportunity of stepping up again.

Young Brewster should have plenty of ammo from those around him to get some shots off and get on the score sheet again and I'm looking forward to getting another look at Paulo Alves.

I expect Ojo to take the piss on the left but he needs to take these games seriously as for whatever reason he's not getting the oppotunities with the 1sts.

Here we go then.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4083: Jan 29, 2017 12:05:56 pm
      Ok so Ojo won't be taking the piss on the left as he's playing on the right.  Not his best side but he's more than capable of playing there.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4084: Jan 29, 2017 12:49:01 pm
      Been a good first half despite no goals.  Both sides have had chances and both keepers have had saves to make.

Masterson has done well, it's good to see him back at this level where he deserves to be and he's had  couple of good chances to score from corners.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4085: Jan 29, 2017 01:27:45 pm
      Sunderland starting to turn the screw now and we're looking under a bit of pressure with Grabara needing to make a couple of saves.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4086: Feb 02, 2017 10:20:36 am
      Great win for the lads last night to go into the semi final.

Match report: Wilson at the double as U23s advance to semis

Harry Wilson scored two penalties as Liverpool U23s secured their place in the semi-finals of the Lancashire Senior Cup with a 3-1 win over Bolton Wanderers at the Academy tonight.

The young Reds’ captain - who also registered an assist for Tom Brewitt’s superb second-half goal - was a constant threat throughout the game, and he gave the hosts a deserved lead when he won and converted his first spot-kick of the evening in the 28th minute.

A clever set-piece routine saw Wilson turn provider for Brewitt midway through the second period, before the 19-year-old sent Bolton goalkeeper Jake Turner the wrong way from 12 yards for the second time with eight minutes remaining.

George Newell netted a late consolation for the visitors, but Mike Garrity’s side advanced to the last four with a comfortable victory.

Following a bright start from Bolton, Liverpool served warning of their attacking threat in the 10th minute.

Madger Gomes slid a perfectly-weighted pass into the path of Sheyi Ojo, and Toni Gomes was just unable to make up the ground to get on the end of the winger’s low delivery across the face of goal.

Another incisive move from Garrity’s team ended with Ojo forcing a good save from Turner after Wilson had played him in unselfishly, before Connor Randall bustled his way infield from the left and fired narrowly wide.

It felt like a matter of time before the young Reds went ahead - and so it proved, as the impressive Wilson scored from the spot.

The Liverpool skipper picked himself up after being fouled by Cole Lonsdale to coolly dispatch a low penalty.

Lonsdale then had to be alert to clear Brewitt’s goalbound header from Wilson’s corner as the young Reds went in search of a second goal before the break, and Randall tried his luck again early in the second period, with Turner gathering his long-range attempt.

Madger Gomes should have done better with his header from Randall’s pinpoint cross, but Liverpool got the second goal their dominance deserved courtesy of Brewitt in the 67th minute.

Skipper Wilson fooled the Bolton backline by cutting a free-kick back to Brewitt, and the centre-back opened up his body to side-foot an excellent finish beyond Turner.

Wilson then calmly converted his second penalty after substitute Rhian Brewster was felled in the area by Turner, before Newell pulled one back for a spirited Bolton side.

Liverpool: Kelleher, Whelan, N Phillips, Brewitt, Randall, Stewart, Virtue (Alves), Wilson, Ojo (Brewster), M Gomes, T Gomes (Hart).

Unused subs: Grabara, K Lewis.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4087: Feb 05, 2017 09:02:05 am
      The lads take on Spurs today and should be back to full strength now they're no longer featuring with the 1st team.  Build up starts at 12.30pm on lfctv, ko at 1pm.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4088: Feb 05, 2017 09:15:39 am
      The lads take on Spurs today and should be back to full strength now they're no longer featuring with the 1st team.  Build up starts at 12.30pm on lfctv, ko at 1pm.

Who are the CBs now that Sakho and Illori are gone Debbs?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4089: Feb 05, 2017 10:09:48 am
      Who are the CBs now that Sakho and Illori are gone Debbs?

Brewitt, Williams, Whelan, Masterson are a few mate.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4090: Feb 05, 2017 10:15:08 am
      Brewitt, Williams, Whelan, Masterson are a few mate.

I've only seen one reserve game this season, do I'm not up to speed on the squad. Any of these guys better than Klavan by any chance?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4091: Feb 05, 2017 12:03:53 pm
      I've only seen one reserve game this season, do I'm not up to speed on the squad. Any of these guys better than Klavan by any chance?

It's hard to say because they've barely played this seson at u23s level due to Ilori and Sakho playing.

Williams everyone had high hopes for as he can play CB and DM but he's had some serious knee injuries which have kept him out all season until just before Xmas and at 21 there were rumours of a permenant deal in January to either MK Dons and Charlton, neither of which happened.

Brewitt has been having trials at other clubs so either we're looking at a loan for him in the summer or he'll be off but he has only just turned 20 so maybe it'll be a loan first.

Corey Whelan also plays RB but has been overtaken by TAA there, he's another about to turn 20 so who knows but he's never been that impressive, although he does have the occasional really good game.

Conor Masterson is the pick of the bunch but still only 18.  He played a few u21s last season but has dropped back to u18s, due to Ilori and Sakho playing, and has taken over the Captaincy since TAA was promoted.  He's been involved in Peps Futures Group at Melwood since age 15 and was in the 1st team squad for the Exeter game last season.

There's a few others that'll feature now they're gone.  Joe Gomez the obvious one to help with his rehab and match sharpness, we forget he's still only 19 himself.  Nathan Phillips arrived last summer from Bolton but has barely played so he'll get his chance now too but he's another that's nearly 20.

It really fu**ed the younger, next in line lads up last summer with Ilori and Sakho both staying but they had to play to keep them ready for a move in January.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4092: Feb 05, 2017 12:43:48 pm
      Todays team sheet.

Grabara, TAA, Whelan, Gomez, Randall, Stewart, Wilson, Virtue, Woodburn, Ojo, Brewster.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #4093: Feb 05, 2017 12:53:59 pm
      Todays team sheet.

Grabara, TAA, Whelan, Gomez, Randall, Stewart, Wilson, Virtue, Woodburn, Ojo, Brewster.

Hoping for good progress from Joe Gomez today in his road back to being a regular contender for first team selection. Brewster seems to be the most recently-rising star of the group.

Quick Reply