Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Archived: 20th Hillsborough Memorial Service at Anfield

Read 96458 times
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Re: 20th Hillsborough Memorial Service at Anfield
      Reply #46: Apr 15, 2009 05:18:48 pm
      So sad, all those young people. We have two teenage sons and the idea that they would go to a football game and never come home breaks my heart.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #47: Apr 15, 2009 05:20:43 pm
      I was amazed, it was so moving that i cried all through it. Been watching on lfc.tv all through its programming and its been so emotional and powerful.

On the hecklers, while i wouldnt have done what they did, i cannot blame them for letting their emotions be heard in a time like that where its easy to lose yourself.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #48: Apr 15, 2009 05:31:06 pm
      Very emotional service, as Crouchinho says it's very moving too. I can only imagine the emotions being felt actually being at the service.

aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #49: Apr 15, 2009 05:31:58 pm
      Appartenly it was attended by 28,000+ people. Very emotional and powerful service, been watching LFC TV all day.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #50: Apr 15, 2009 05:35:21 pm
      A very moving ceremony, what people didn't see was the organisation of it, thousands of people being herded in with nowhere to sit.  Originally only Kop entrance open, then they realised that they had underestimated the turn out and opened the Lower Centenary, this then got full and they had to open the Main Stand, meanwhile, no-one knew where they were going or anything and it was a free for all trying to get in and get seats.  A bloody shambles on today of all days.  Safety should of been of paramount importance today and it was a total mess.  :f_steam:

Other than that, I had the lovely company of Kenny, tommo, MsG, Gow and Andy  (RED1028)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #51: Apr 15, 2009 05:37:24 pm
      Very emotional service, as Crouchinho says it's very moving too. I can only imagine the emotions being felt actually being at the service.

You can just sense it that emotions are high cant you? The loud rounds of applause for our Red men, the families, the tributes - there is a tight knit feel and a sense of pride but a will to fight for justice. Thats the way it should be, i was/am so proud to be a red today in particular.

A very moving ceremony, what people didn't see was the organisation of it, thousands of people being herded in with nowhere to sit.  Originally only Kop entrance open, then they realised that they had underestimated the turn out and opened the Lower Centenary, this then got full and they had to open the Main Stand, meanwhile, no-one knew where they were going or anything and it was a free for all trying to get in and get seats.  A bloody shambles on today of all days.  Safety should of been of paramount importance today and it was a total mess.  :f_steam:

Other than that, I had the lovely company of Kenny, tommo, MsG, Gow and Andy  (RED1028)

I did notice thats smiggs, the fact that fans were left to watch and pay their respects with backs being showed to them said it all.

Also, the announcer (forget his name) lost it completely. I was really saddened to hear of his lack of control and preparation during his speech and his little dig at those who stand at football games. Really, really saddened by that.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #52: Apr 15, 2009 05:43:08 pm
      Also, the announcer (forget his name) lost it completely. I was really saddened to hear of his lack of control and preparation during his speech and his little dig at those who stand at football games. Really, really saddened by that.

I think he done a great job considering he lost two daughters at Hillsborough.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #53: Apr 15, 2009 05:46:47 pm
      Very moving stuff. 

Like many others i cant believe it's been 20 years since that dreadful day, I can still remember everything so clearly, even after all this time.

JFT 96

YNWA
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #54: Apr 15, 2009 05:47:27 pm

Yeah i realise his loss but he seemed to be too formal about his emotions if you know what i mean. He lost part of his family, he shouldnt have to pass on messages to supporters during what is meant to be a moving time for him and his family. Sorry if i didnt specify that, i thought the 'saddened' part showed i wasnt angry at him or disappointed in his presentation of the memorial but that i really was disheartened that he had to do it that way.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #55: Apr 15, 2009 05:53:10 pm

Agreed, why would you be saddened to hear him telling people to stay seated at matches when he lost two daughters in the standing enclosures there used to be?  As much as I hate sitting down at games, its only for every fans safety.

Thought he done a great job in one of the most moving and emotional ceremonies I have ever seen.  RIP 96

YNWA
      daylami
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #56: Apr 15, 2009 05:56:15 pm
      Thinking of you all on this sad day one day hopefully the 96 will get the justice they deserve. Carl Spurs fan YOU`LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #57: Apr 15, 2009 05:56:31 pm
      Just got home after the service very emotional.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #58: Apr 15, 2009 06:01:42 pm
      A great service and very very emotional, not ashamed to admit i cried thru the majority especially when YNWA was sung.

R.I.P 96 brothers and sisters.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #59: Apr 15, 2009 06:19:46 pm
      Agreed, why would you be saddened to hear him telling people to stay seated at matches when he lost two daughters in the standing enclosures there used to be?  As much as I hate sitting down at games, its only for every fans safety.

Thought he done a great job in one of the most moving and emotional ceremonies I have ever seen.  RIP 96

YNWA

Wasn't him personally, was the organisation and control of the service as well as what he was told to say, i didnt intend what i said to be taken as a finger pointed at him because he isnt the one who writes the whole speech and decide the order of the memorial.

Anyway, the memorial itself is what should be recognised and i want to leave it at that.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #60: Apr 15, 2009 06:20:03 pm
      Brilliant turn out and show of support to all the families. Very emotional. RIP 96 YNWA

Sadly, as Smigger has pointed out, the organisation and crowd control outside the ground was zero for many of us. That's all I'll say for now as I don't want to go on about it on today of all days. I'll be getting in touch with the club about it though.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #61: Apr 15, 2009 06:23:55 pm
      Swore I wouldn't post today but I cant ignore what Ive been watching.

Must have been 30 thousand at Anfield for a truly moving occasion. I know there were people there from outside the city but scousers deserve praise for the way they rally at these times. And then to see immpecable minute silences in Nottingham and Sheffield to see texts going through on Setanta from supporters of other clubs up and down Britain. Tears just flow.

We truly have support from even our fiercest rivals. Keep the fight going and surely the day of truth and justice will come

God bless you all
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #62: Apr 15, 2009 06:34:32 pm
      to see texts going through on Setanta from supporters of other clubs up and down Britain. Tears just flow.

We truly have support from even our fiercest rivals. Keep the fight going and surely the day of truth and justice will come

God bless you all

I've spent most of the year trying to ignore them texts and e-mails, but today they are just brilliant. Fans from every club texting in with messages of support, makes me so proud!

I've been reduced to tears today. A beautiful service!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #63: Apr 15, 2009 06:37:53 pm
      Thanks to everyone for a very moving service and great turn-out. Could have been organised a lot better, but I'm very glad I went to pay my respects and show my support to the families of those who lost their lives. The fight for justice goes on.
      hex85uk
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 57 posts |
      Reply #64: Apr 15, 2009 06:57:01 pm
      Swore I wouldn't post today but I cant ignore what Ive been watching.

Must have been 30 thousand at Anfield for a truly moving occasion. I know there were people there from outside the city but scousers deserve praise for the way they rally at these times. And then to see immpecable minute silences in Nottingham and Sheffield to see texts going through on Setanta from supporters of other clubs up and down Britain. Tears just flow.

God bless you all

We will never forget them

I was only 4 at the time. Now and for the past ten years i know the true meaning of what today means.

RIP 96 Y.N.W.A

Looking at the stadium and the knowledge i have on the capacity, there was at least 36,000 in attendance today as no one was in the top tiers. Truely amazing.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #65: Apr 15, 2009 07:06:38 pm
      It's had a pretty big impact on me today the memorial. I'm going out to play football to free my mind up for a bit.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #66: Apr 15, 2009 07:19:10 pm
      Excellent turnout today to support the families and a really emotional service that was very moving.

RIP 96 YNWA
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #67: Apr 15, 2009 07:31:02 pm
      What an amazing turn out today.
      Truely moving.

RIP 96 YNWA
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #68: Apr 15, 2009 07:53:05 pm
      Very, impressed with todays service, excellent turnout, no need for plastic flags!

TV coverage I feel has been very sympathetic allowing alot of views (truthful) to be spoken, at last.

May be just maybe the truth will come out, but not via the Government.

RIP 96 YNWA

Quick Reply