Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Archived: 20th Hillsborough Memorial Service at Anfield

Read 96449 times
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Re: 20th Hillsborough Memorial Service at Anfield
      Reply #69: Apr 15, 2009 07:58:40 pm
      If any of the foreign players didnt fully understand the club I think they will do now.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #70: Apr 15, 2009 07:59:45 pm
      I watched the service on LFC TV, and I have to say it was a very emotional. Justice will come sooner than later.

YNWA
      JUSTICE FOR THE 96
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #71: Apr 15, 2009 08:23:30 pm
      Watched the service via internet due to being in OZ. I thought it was both embarrassing and yet justified how the politician got heckled. I was 27 when Hillsborough happened and still remember it vividly like it was yesterday. I still cannot believe how despite the findings of the enquiry that the police have never admitted liability.
      The opening of that gate by police that funnelled 2,000 people into already full pens caused the crush, while  at the same time adjacent pens were empty. No coordination from anyone to close the tunnel entrance into pens 3 and 4 after they had filled, leaving 4,000 people to squeeze into pens we are later told were fit to hold 1600.
      Negligence charges should have been laid against the relevant officers, whos actions, albeit unintentional, led to the deaths.  More serious charges should have been laid against those who lied in the aftermath, to cover up the truth, and instead chose to dishonestly blame the fans for the incident.
      People will never be able to find closure on this matter until full admissions are made, and my heart goes out to those who have had to live the past 20 years not just with the pain of losing a loved one, but also with the additional frustration that the guilty were never held accountable.
      It will not be acceptable for those responsible to pass on the duty of accepting responsibilty to their future police officers who were not even involved. Those directly responsible must come forward now, and provide some justice to the families. Any politician who has the courage to order a new enquiry will be hailed as a hero, whilst all those that dont can expect to be heckled until justice is done.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #72: Apr 15, 2009 08:29:33 pm
      I was in the ground by about 5 past two and it was all handled well so I can't comment on what happened with those arriving late.

Did anyone expect 28,000 to turn up?

Not too sure the club can be blamed. Did you want them to put the service back and the two minutes silence? No.

Inviting a politician was a foolish move. Hicks sermon on not standing at an all-seater I found uncomfortable. The mayor said everything that needed to be said.

Anyway terrific turnout.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #73: Apr 15, 2009 09:10:58 pm
      Just arrived home after the memorial service at Anfield.  :(

Long day and pretty emotional as well.

First of all I'm very glad I went as it was a very moving experience, and to see several fans from other clubs was exceptional, especially the group of Celtic supporters who had a beautiful white cross of roses with green trimming, to think they'd made that journey all the way from Scotland.

Last night in the pub we met a young lad from Germany who was LIVERPOOL mad, he's come over for the service specially, and we also met the Chairman and Secretary from the Swedish branch of the Liverpool supporters club who'd raised £7000 for the Hillsborough fund  :clap:

They said on Radio 5 tonight that there were 40,000 at Anfield  :-\  I am not laying the blame at Liverpool Football Club, because they obviously never anticipated 40,000 turning up, but having queued from the Hillsborough Memorial Plaque, walked all the way round pass the Kemlyn Road stand only to be told to go round to the main stand, so pass the kop to the main stand where it was complete chaos, and people were just coming from everywhere and just pushing in  :f_steam: Could have done with a few stewards to control things a bit better.

By the time we got in there were no seats  :f_wah: so we had to stand in the aisles.......not good.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I only wish we had started queuing a bit earlier.

Then again, surely Liverpool could see how many people were waiting to get in on the CCTV camera's.....so why didn't they open other parts of the ground earlier?

johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #74: Apr 15, 2009 09:21:12 pm
      What did Andy Burnham think was going to happen. Any Government of the day has power to change Laws the fact they choose not to is their decision. Why is it that when an individual citizen makes a mistake the System comes down heavy on them. When the system and those who impose it fail no one is ever accountable.
      They say lessons have been learned yet watching the G20 protests were police "Pen" people in for hours like animals makes me believe that nothing has been learned by the people who are charged with looking after our safety. Hopefully Europe will now give the families some much needed support as it is clear nobody in authority including our Prime Minister is willing to get behind the obvious truth in that the Actions of the Police caused the death of 96 innocent people.
      Sorry to Rant the service and the support was fitting and I am sure a comfort to the families
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #75: Apr 15, 2009 09:24:39 pm
      Justice for the 96 snd hope for their families......we will never forget!
      YNWA! The Liverpoolian way.... :P
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #76: Apr 15, 2009 09:26:15 pm
      Inviting a politician was a foolish move.

He needed to be there mate. His face when the crowd chanted justice said it all. It actually looked liked it hit home to this fella
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #77: Apr 15, 2009 10:16:27 pm
      As I mentioned earlier, I couldn't make it today unfortunately.

But I got home around 7:30pm and made my way down to the ground. Took one of my scarves to tie to the gates by the Hillsborough Memorial, only to be overwhelmed by the number of tributes laid outside. I knew there was a few there but the amount when I arrived was truly brilliant. Liverpool, Everton, Celtic, Rangers and even a City flag hanging around the gates and fences. I tied mine onto the fence and took in the togetherness that was evident.

Only being two years old 20 years ago, I couldn't make it, so perhaps my forced absence today was a little poignant. My thoughts were with you all today.

JFT96

YNWA
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #78: Apr 15, 2009 10:19:40 pm
      Can anybody please tell me what that song was that the choir sung at one point.

I think I heard that it was by Andrew Lloyd Webber 'Piaiazu' or something?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #79: Apr 15, 2009 10:28:13 pm
      Can anybody please tell me what that song was that the choir sung at one point.

I think I heard that it was by Andrew Lloyd Webber 'Piaiazu' or something?

This was it Ross..........Pie Jesu...........I couldn't hold it in any longer at this point, the tears just came.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfN8j9r-jGQ#
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #80: Apr 15, 2009 10:40:06 pm
      Thankyou so much. Me too. This is when I couldn't hold it in any longer, and I was watching from home. Can imagine it would have been even more emotional there at the stadium.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #81: Apr 15, 2009 10:43:30 pm
      He needed to be there mate. His face when the crowd chanted justice said it all. It actually looked liked it hit home to this fella

Well I heard him on the news about 2 hours later and it was pretty clear nothing had hit home.

So I stand by my original comment.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #82: Apr 15, 2009 11:23:52 pm
      Brilliant service, and good to hear the crowd showing defiance to our government for injustice.
      Also i was there in 88 the year before at a league game, and was mistreated by the sy police.
      And a clostraphobic entrance to the leppings lane end didnt help.
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #83: Apr 16, 2009 12:22:59 am
      Watched most of lfc.tv programmes on hillsborough today, including the service. Have to say that the memorial service was very moving and it was brilliant to see soo many fans turn up to support it. Not surprised so many turned up, I had a feeling that Anfield would be almost packed.  Anyway, R.I.P the 96, hope justice comes to you and your families and friends.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #84: Apr 16, 2009 12:26:05 am
      I put me flowers on the plaque in the Anglican Cathedral grounds at about half 11 before making me way to the ground at about 12-12:30. Must of got to the ground around 1ish and started queing imidiatedly. Was in a bad mood because me mate said he couldn't be arsed coming but as soon as I got in the queue with other Reds those thoughts left.

Don't know what time I got in the ground, probably somehwere between quater to two and quater past. Made me way into block 103 (left to the goal) and was sitting next to two contrasts. On me right was a true Liverpool fan, Liverpool clobber head to toe, singing galore, clapping and respecting at the right times. Yet on me left was a lad who didn't have any Liverpool clobber on, was the last to start clapping and first to stop. Taking the place of somebody who should of been there.

Fantastic turn out in terms of numbers, although after reading a few posts by those who had to end up outside the Kop it doesn't look like it was well organised. But that to me is understandable, every year I've been (four of the last six before today) there has only been enough to fill the Kop. I don't think the club expected these sort of numbers and it's a shame that next year there won't be anywhere near the same numbers.

The fans were fantastic by and large despite the one or two unappropiate comments. But other than that fantastic. Sang our hearts out, clapped our hands off and respected every person who attended.

Trying to get the 26 back down to Toxteth wasn't possible. The queue didn't seem to end but while I was waiting I saw a couple of fellas I knew (Keith, Jimmy and little Dec) and walked down to Kenny (not our RedKenny, the area of Liverpool) with them before jumping on the 26 from there. They were in the Annie Rd end.

Also the fans from other clubs were fantastic.

A joy to be there.
      joemack
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts | 13 
      Reply #85: Apr 16, 2009 12:40:02 am
      Does anyone have the Memorial Service from Anfield available as a link?

I tried logging onto the LFC site but all I'm getting is a message, LFC back at 10am.

Would greatly appreciate it.

YNWA
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #86: Apr 16, 2009 01:27:05 am
      A few things struck me today. First of all, I watched the service on LFCTV and at the end of the service they showed the pictures of each person who sadly passed away, on that sad day, and their name and age. Although I knew that a lot of young people died, it had not really struck me how many of the 96 were so young. I couldn't help but think of how the lives of the young and old would have been had they survived. I got very emotional at that thought. Secondly, at the bottom of the Setanta screen, there were texts being broadcasted, some from Liverpudlians and some from other teams fans. Iam not quite sure how to explain this but I wasn't surprised by opposition fans showing their respect for the 96 as it was a disaster of the biggest scale. However, it brought a tear to my eye that even fans of rival teams could see the mass-injustice served to the 96 yet those numpties at 10 Downing Street still haven't quite worked it out. I know that I have not expalined myself very well, but iam sure you would agree with me, its very hard to talk about the situation. Also, a big high five to those who attended the memorial. As Smigger pointed out, it was really bad organising by the people running it as they clearly underestimated the amount of people who would turn up. You would think that after the events of 20 years ago with the police, they would have learnt a thing or two about how to organise such a massive event. Other than that, everything went smoothly. Was brilliant to see the Celtic fans showing their support for the Justice campaign. I would also like to congratulate those who stood and sang "JUSTICE, FOR THE 96!" during Andy Burnhams speech. I think that that has really hammered it down the Governments throat that something needs to be done for the 96, and should have been done a long time ago. Sorry if I have confussed some of use. JFT96 You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #87: Apr 16, 2009 01:51:27 am
      I know this is not in the correct thread but everyone should see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSSJ4lmRKL8#
      « Last Edit: Apr 20, 2009 08:40:30 pm by CRK »
      lfc96justice
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      • Cmon Lets Make Hillsborough Song Number 1 !!
      Reply #88: Apr 16, 2009 11:47:00 am
      I am in the choir and i shook hands with gerrard carragher and dalglish and rafa blanked me im only 13 but it was amazing .

The choir sung a song called PIE JESU and that was sang by two girls .
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #89: Apr 16, 2009 12:10:19 pm
      Obviously i couldnt be there as i am 7000 miles away,but i watched it on LFCtv.What an emotional memorial service.My heart just wanted to crumble.

JFT 96

YNWA!!!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #90: Apr 16, 2009 12:11:42 pm
      I am in the choir and I shook hands with gerrard carragher and dalglish and rafa blanked me im only 13 but it was amazing .

The choir sung a song called PIE JESU and that was sang by two girls .

The choir was brilliant.
      « Last Edit: Apr 20, 2009 08:41:09 pm by CRK »
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #91: Apr 16, 2009 06:23:04 pm
      Very emotional service. Was fighting the tears back throughout. I felt sorry for the MP who was heckled, as whilst I agree with the heckling, I dont agree that he should have born the brunt of it.

And as for the dig at people during games now and how theres "no such thing as safe standing"...F**k off. I go to football games in non league and the football league every week and ALWAYS stand along with everyone else. And yes sitting down DOES kill the atmosphere. Dont really feel like having a rant in this thread but those comments were totally out of order and pretty hypocritical in terms of saying how ignorant some comments on the internet are, well saying theres no such thing as safe standing is just as ignorant.

Otherwise, a great service. I was thinking about going to it but I didnt know whether it would be inapproriate for me to do so being born after the disaster happened...however seeing how many people attended the ceremony I feel I should have gone...

Quick Reply