Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Archived: 20th Hillsborough Memorial Service at Anfield

Read 96457 times
      Fowlers God
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts |
      Re: 20th Hillsborough Memorial Service at Anfield
      Reply #92: Apr 16, 2009 06:27:42 pm
      Few words about the memorial:

Unbelievable and moving memorial service for the 96.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #93: Apr 16, 2009 07:59:40 pm
      Quite a few very strange comments coming from you people. Since when did wearing Liverpool clobber make you a Liverpool fan? Since when did showing respect at the right time make you fit to attend. Since when was it fitting to invite a member of the Establishment that we are fighting to attend our personal day? since when did we decide that using camera phones at a memorial service is right and fitting. Do you all intend to film your parents funerals? Or were you there to catch a glimpse of your favourite player? Since when do we all decide to go because it is the 20th anniversary? Where were you all when we needed that turnout year after year? I felt sorry for the mug MP who delivered the establlishments message of good will. It was with the best intentions. Bit naive for an educated liar. (see expenses claims). I know you speak with the best will in the world and this website is a little politically correct, you ages are also against you but buy the book by Scoggins and learn about what happened. Most people should have turned their backs yesterday and sent the biggest message ever. they are not allowed in our stadium where our peoples dreams were born. Apologies but the truth is out there and not one day a year. Red till Dead.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #94: Apr 16, 2009 08:59:46 pm
      Tiresome. Very tiresome.

He was invited as a guest of the families.  What gives you the right to decide what the families want on a service intended to be a tribute to their lost loved ones.  I would have rather he wasn't there but it was the choice of the families.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #95: Apr 16, 2009 09:12:36 pm
      You believe it was the choice of the families. Do you even know the families have been split for many years? Tiresome to see a representative of the liars. The cover up was instigated by the government. Took them 20 years to attend. Did they walk up? Why not invite the bi*ch Thatcher and her buddies? Maybe Cloughie as well.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #96: Apr 16, 2009 09:23:24 pm
      You believe it was the choice of the families. Do you even know the families have been split for many years? Tiresome to see a representative of the liars. The cover up was instigated by the government. Took them 20 years to attend. Did they walk up? Why not invite the bi*ch Thatcher and her buddies? Maybe Cloughie as well.

But the service at Anfield has always been done by the HFSG, which is why for the last couple of years the HJC have been doing a procession from the HJC Shop to the eternal flame, then joining the rest of the families for the service.

And to be honest I find Phil Scraton's book Hillsborough: The Truth, to be about the best book regarding the cover-up, inquest and all the other sh*te insinuations we've had to put up with.

Actually inviting Burnham to yesterday's service could be one of the best things to happen in years, especially as he is a local fella and a blue to boot.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #97: Apr 16, 2009 09:24:16 pm
      Do you even know the families have been split for many years?

Now I know you're trying to make me bite.

Like I said, I'd rather he hadn't attended.

Seeing him at the service certainly would have been impressive I have to say.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #98: Apr 16, 2009 09:32:24 pm

And as for the dig at people during games now and how theres "no such thing as safe standing"...F**k off. I go to football games in non league and the football league every week and ALWAYS stand along with everyone else. And yes sitting down DOES kill the atmosphere. Dont really feel like having a rant in this thread but those comments were totally out of order and pretty hypocritical in terms of saying how ignorant some comments on the internet are, well saying theres no such thing as safe standing is just as ignorant.

I don't really agree with that. First off this was coming from somebody who has lost two relatives so give him a break. Secondly, I don't think he neccessarily meant sit down at all times. Of course it's a natural reaction to stand up when theres a chance or a goal.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #99: Apr 16, 2009 09:46:39 pm
      Don't know where I got Scoggins from. Scraton's book is by far the best book on the market,that I know of, but can be difficult to read in parts. A more concise booklet can be obtained from HJC shop titled Hillsborough Context and consequences. A mere 30 pages, it gives people a quick reconstruction of the key events. Once again, i do not wish to be controversial or disrespectful. It is a time for anger and frustration, unfortunately.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #100: Apr 16, 2009 10:01:53 pm

Whether anyone believes it was the choice of the families or not is irrelevant. And whether or not the families have been split for years is no ones business apart from the families.

What is relevant is reds bickering about it at a time which should be about one thing and one thing only. We all continue to seek justice and accountability what ever way we can for every other day of the year, each year.

Personally my ears were deaf when the politician took to the field. He was there but not through a choice of mine. So it's not worth going on about in my opinion. There's not much more damage any politicians can already do.

What was important was a show of support and the families had that in abundance.

And as for the dig at people during games now and how theres "no such thing as safe standing"...F**k off. I go to football games in non league and the football league every week and ALWAYS stand along with everyone else. And yes sitting down DOES kill the atmosphere. Dont really feel like having a rant in this thread but those comments were totally out of order and pretty hypocritical in terms of saying how ignorant some comments on the internet are, well saying theres no such thing as safe standing is just as ignorant.

Until you've walked in Trevor Hick's shoes, you've got no right to tell him to F**k off if he believes there's no such thing as safe standing. There's nothing wrong with saying you disagree, but the manner of your post was of the highest form of ignorance for me. Which is ironic when you say you don't really feel like having a rant...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #101: Apr 16, 2009 10:05:09 pm
      Don't know where I got Scoggins from. Scraton's book is by far the best book on the market,that I know of, but can be difficult to read in parts. A more concise booklet can be obtained from HJC shop titled Hillsborough Context and consequences. A mere 30 pages, it gives people a quick reconstruction of the key events. Once again, i do not wish to be controversial or disrespectful. It is a time for anger and frustration, unfortunately.

Mate, I know where you coming from, and I just wanted to say I wasn't having a go! I've never been able to read that Truth book fully, as you say it is difficult.
      Had to agree a little bit with what you were saying regarding the taking of photos and such. Went with my mum yesterday, she is in her 50's and a kopite from the 60s, she felt it was a bit disrespectful taking photos and people rushing to get signatures of ex-players.

I was 10 myself when Hillsborough happened, suppose I got lucky, in that I couldn't get a ticket, my dad did and luckily enough came home, he was in the stand above pulling people up, but only last night told me how he nearly ended up in the leppings lane end. When he got in at around 2.30 he initially started heading into the tunnel and something clicked "I'm going the wrong way here" was how he put it to me. Eventually sort of fought his way back out dragging some girl with him who was also in the stand above.

Me, I ended up consoling my mum who was getting more and more upset listening to the sh*te that was being put out by ITV news at 5.15pm, when of course came the first reports of fans braking down the gates and other wild rumours. I knew he was in a seat, but didn't know which stand, so I was sort of telling my mum he's sound and pointing at one of the side stands and saying he was in there.

I never been one to show loads of emotion at things like funerals etc, yesterday as like every April 15th I just get this horrible sickening feeling, the same one I got 20 years ago.

Maybe one day when some of them cu*ts who were in charge, actually show some forgiveness and finally accept it was them that fu**ed up, maybe I'll lose that sickening feeling.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #102: Apr 16, 2009 10:37:07 pm
      Mate, I know where you coming from, and I just wanted to say I wasn't having a go! I've never been able to read that Truth book fully, as you say it is difficult.
      Had to agree a little bit with what you were saying regarding the taking of photos and such. Went with my mum yesterday, she is in her 50's and a kopite from the 60s, she felt it was a bit disrespectful taking photos and people rushing to get signatures of ex-players.

I was 10 myself when Hillsborough happened, suppose I got lucky, in that I couldn't get a ticket, my dad did and luckily enough came home, he was in the stand above pulling people up, but only last night told me how he nearly ended up in the leppings lane end. When he got in at around 2.30 he initially started heading into the tunnel and something clicked "I'm going the wrong way here" was how he put it to me. Eventually sort of fought his way back out dragging some girl with him who was also in the stand above.

Me, I ended up consoling my mum who was getting more and more upset listening to the sh*te that was being put out by ITV news at 5.15pm, when of course came the first reports of fans braking down the gates and other wild rumours. I knew he was in a seat, but didn't know which stand, so I was sort of telling my mum he's sound and pointing at one of the side stands and saying he was in there.

I never been one to show loads of emotion at things like funerals etc, yesterday as like every April 15th I just get this horrible sickening feeling, the same one I got 20 years ago.

Maybe one day when some of them cu*ts who were in charge, actually show some forgiveness and finally accept it was them that fu**ed up, maybe I'll lose that sickening feeling. Fair comment mate. Think I'll keep quiet for now.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #103: Apr 16, 2009 10:56:48 pm
      Since when do we all decide to go because it is the 20th anniversary?

I'm not gonna bang on about anything else but this comment I will. I've now been to five of the last seven Memorial Services held at Anfield on the 15th of April, even at times where I've bunked off school to go. Now I'm not looking for praise or taps on the head because that's not what I go for. I go to show my respect. I didn't decide to just pop along because it was the 20th anniversary. I didn't just go so people would think of me as a good little boy. I went because I wanted to show my respect and because I feel it my duty to go. I wasn't born in 89, I didn't arrive until 91, but I still feel angry and bitter towards the same people you do. Maybe not as much because I didn't experince it first hand, I've only got people's stories to go on. But it gets to me, it makes the blood inside of me boil. So don't sit there and tarnish me with this nonesense of "oh you only go with it being the 20th year" because I don't. I go for the love I have for this great club and to show those who did lose a loved one support. And if possible, which I'm sure it will be, I'll be there next year and the year after and the year after that. It's something I make sure I do. As a Liverpool fan and as a human being I'm showing support. I can't imagine what those who lost people are going through, yes I've lost family members mainly through old age or illness, certainly not the way the familes of the 96 lost theirs. So again don't tarnish me or any other person who went there with the right intentions of going "just because it was the 20th year" because that isn't the case.

There were some there who didn't want to be, like the lad I mentioned earlier whose only sign of emotion came when the players walked out. He shouldn't of been there. And I'm certain he won't be there next year. To not even clap when the families walked out was disgusting, to not even clap when the Celtic fans put the banners on the pitch was disgusting as well and then to jump up and down like a big kid because he saw Steven Gerrard. That's what I meant by not being fit to attend, because I'm pretty sure he didn't and still doesn't have an idea of the true reason why the service was happening.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #104: Apr 16, 2009 11:41:05 pm
      Until you've walked in Trevor Hick's shoes, you've got no right to tell him to f**k off if he believes there's no such thing as safe standing. There's nothing wrong with saying you disagree, but the manner of your post was of the highest form of ignorance for me. Which is ironic when you say you don't really feel like having a rant...

Ive gone to about 1000 football games in my life and stood on terraces at nearly every single non-lfc game and found them so be very safe and enjoyable, and have also stood for the few away LFC games I have attended. So why am I being ignorant if I take what he said very personally? And I wasnt directing "F**k off" at him personally, but to the notion of all terraces being unsafe.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #105: Apr 17, 2009 12:00:13 am
      Ive gone to about 1000 football games in my life and stood on terraces at nearly every single non-lfc game and found them so be very safe and enjoyable, and have also stood for the few away LFC games I have attended. So why am I being ignorant if I take what he said very personally? And I wasnt directing "F**k off" at him personally, but to the notion of all terraces being unsafe.

I said there's nothing wrong with you disagreeing. It was the manner of your words that was ignorant. Have another look at what the title of this thread is.
      laoisred
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #106: Apr 17, 2009 12:45:32 am
      I watched the service with my eldest daughter in complete silence, and it was very moving and dignified.

Rest in peace our fallen comrades and I pray that justice will be done for you all.
      Fowlers God
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts |
      Reply #107: Apr 17, 2009 01:16:25 am
      I watched the service with my eldest daughter in complete silence, and it was very moving and dignified.

Rest in peace our fallen comrades and I pray that justice will be done for you all.

Summed up the feelings of the day there buddy. I was in work, between 3 pm and 3.07pm I didn't do a tap of work, watched the whole service but for those 7 mins, like yourself I was just silent.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #108: Apr 17, 2009 12:34:27 pm
      http://www.lscm.com.my/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=527&Itemid=48

the official liverpool supporter club malaysia did their part in commemorating the 20th anniversay of Hillsborough tragedy.
      lfc96justice
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      • Cmon Lets Make Hillsborough Song Number 1 !!
      Reply #109: Apr 17, 2009 01:39:06 pm

Thanks Ross It Was Just An Amazing Day Wasnt It
      justiceforthe96
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #110: Apr 17, 2009 08:50:07 pm
      Hello...Can anyone please tell me the name of that guy who was singing at the memorial service on Wednesday...not sure what the song was called but the chorus went like "it was a tragedy, a tragedy"..it was so moving and I'd love to be able to get my hands on it....Any info would be much appreciated....YNWA
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #111: Apr 17, 2009 09:14:31 pm
      It was called the Hillsborough Anthem by Lee Roy James.
      justiceforthe96
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #112: Apr 17, 2009 09:24:38 pm
      It was called the Hillsborough Anthem by Lee Roy James.

Ahh Thanks very much mate, I do appreciate that.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #113: Apr 17, 2009 09:29:58 pm
      dunlop Liddell Shankly, I touched a nerve there lad.I never meant you or anybody else for that matter. the people I mention are fans of Liverpool FC. I don't believe for one second that they would do anything to disrespect the name of the club. It happens and I am not entirely innocent. You are a young man, your love for the club is evident. When you are my age you will question a lot of things.To me, you are family.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #114: Apr 17, 2009 09:30:39 pm
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK37Fjp95iQ#

There you go fella. Although they've named him Leroy whereas the Hillsborough booklet/service sheet handed out the ground call him Lee Roy James.

Quick Reply