Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Archived: 20th Hillsborough Memorial Service at Anfield

Read 96444 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Re: 20th Hillsborough Memorial Service at Anfield
      Reply #115: Apr 17, 2009 09:35:33 pm
      dunlop Liddell Shankly, I touched a nerve there lad.I never meant you or anybody else for that matter. the people I mention are fans of Liverpool FC. I don't believe for one second that they would do anything to disrespect the name of the club. It happens and I am not entirely innocent. You are a young man, your love for the club is evident. When you are my age you will question a lot of things.To me, you are family.

It did hit a nerve mate because I, unlike 20 odd thousand there that day, will be there every year I can be not just "special" years because in my opinion every year is special and the pain isn't made any easier.

But cheers for clearing it up mate, I'm always touchy around this subject.
      justiceforthe96
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #116: Apr 17, 2009 09:44:27 pm
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK37Fjp95iQ#

There you go fella. Although they've named him Leroy whereas the Hillsborough booklet/service sheet handed out the ground call him Lee Roy James.

Cheers mate, someone else from here has just sent me his name too...I'll watch it now on Youtube.
      BTW it's 'Miss' fella to you..;D :)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #117: Apr 17, 2009 09:55:27 pm
      Oooops sorry Miss. Silly me.
      ilovethereds
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts | -1 
      Reply #118: Apr 18, 2009 01:20:18 pm
      I'm an asian Muslim guy with a long beard, and a life-long Liverpool fan. I remember the day vividly 20 years ago watching Grandstand. I travelled to Anfield for the memorial on Wednesday with my wife (she is covered from head to toe in the hijab) and my 3 small children. Our car was hanging with Liverpool scarves and flags. On arrival into Liverpool from the Midlands, where we live, we were greeted at a bus stop by an individual who started shouting out 'You're not worthy of supporting Liverpool' and 'You should be grateful we let you in into our city'. It was really sad and upset my family. Nevertheless, we continued to Anfield for what we had come for - to show our support to the bereaved families and pay our respects to the dead - inside the stadium was fantastic. We stood out like a sore thumb (if you saw us, you'll know what I mean!) and our presence was appreciated, as a couple of gentlemen told us. My wife said she would never go to Anfield again, which was a pity. There is a lot of bad out there, but the good is greater. However, the bad is what my wife left with, although she enjoyed the ceremony very much, and we shed a tear or two when the balloons were released with 'You'll Never Walk Alone' being sung.
      « Last Edit: Apr 18, 2009 01:37:45 pm by ilovethereds »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #119: Apr 18, 2009 01:26:10 pm
      I'm an asian Muslim guy with a long beard, and a life-long Liverpool fan. I remember the day vividly 20 years ago watching Grandstand. I travelled to Anfield for the memorial on Wednesday with my wife (she is covered from head to toe in the hijab) and my 3 small children. Our car was hanging with Liverpool scarves and flags. On arrival into Liverpool from the Midlands, where we live, we were greeted at a bus stop by an individual who started shouting out 'You're not worthy of supporting Liverpool' and 'You should be grateful wqe let you in into our city'. It was really sad and upset my family. Nevertheless, we continued to Anfield for what we had come for - to show our support to the bereaved families and pay our respects to the dead - inside the stadium was fantastic. We stood out like a sore thumb (if you saw us, you'll know what I mean!) and our presence was appreciated, as a couple of gentlemen told us. My wife said she would never go to Anfield again, which was a pity. There is a lot of bad out there, but the good is greater. However, the bad is what my wife left with, although she enjoyed the ceremony very much, and we shed a tear or two when the balloons were released with 'You'll Never Walk Alone' being sung.

Thanks for coming all the way from the Midlands, and I'm sorry you had to meet with the minority of 'toe-rags' that live in the City. 

YNWA
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #120: Apr 18, 2009 01:44:32 pm
      I'm an asian Muslim guy with a long beard, and a life-long Liverpool fan. I remember the day vividly 20 years ago watching Grandstand. I travelled to Anfield for the memorial on Wednesday with my wife (she is covered from head to toe in the hijab) and my 3 small children. Our car was hanging with Liverpool scarves and flags. On arrival into Liverpool from the Midlands, where we live, we were greeted at a bus stop by an individual who started shouting out 'You're not worthy of supporting Liverpool' and 'You should be grateful we let you in into our city'. It was really sad and upset my family. Nevertheless, we continued to Anfield for what we had come for - to show our support to the bereaved families and pay our respects to the dead - inside the stadium was fantastic. We stood out like a sore thumb (if you saw us, you'll know what I mean!) and our presence was appreciated, as a couple of gentlemen told us. My wife said she would never go to Anfield again, which was a pity. There is a lot of bad out there, but the good is greater. However, the bad is what my wife left with, although she enjoyed the ceremony very much, and we shed a tear or two when the balloons were released with 'You'll Never Walk Alone' being sung.

As Smigger says mate, sorry to hear you bumped into to some mindless idiots on the way in. Wednesday should have been a day of togetherness for all. Well in to you and your family for making the journey to Liverpool to pay your respects.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #121: Apr 18, 2009 04:25:24 pm
      Yep, agreed. Thank you for coming. And you are welcome back any time you wish to visit. Ignore the pillocks - they've never been as far as the Midlands - they give the same abuse to anyone who doesn't wear an all black tracksuit...
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #122: Apr 18, 2009 06:13:37 pm
      the language of football is humanity and respect for each other, they crossed beyond the barriers of race, religion, political differences and don't even bother if you are rich or poor. if can understand the language then you're welcome to part of it. there are bad christians, bad muslims and bad jews but when you're in a football stadium especially anfield...we know no differences. we're brothers and sisters of LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB and we should be proud of who we are and what we are...we never insult each other nor spread hatred amongst us...as the song says, you'll never walk alone here in LIVERPOOL!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #123: Apr 20, 2009 08:50:47 pm

We can only thank you for making the trip and it's unfortunate that you bumped into some mindless yobs on your travels.

As Kenny and Smiggs have said, Wednesday was about being together in the memory of the 96. Some people still can't get their heads right. Be assured that there were 30,000 in Anfield who didn't feel the same as those idiots you bumped into.

YNWA
      Annette
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #124: Apr 24, 2009 04:37:26 am
      i have supported Liverpool since the age 10 i am now 54 and i travelled to that memorial service and it was beautiful and how wonderful of Gerry marsden to sing our anthem
      So this morning please let us all reflect on the 96 and pray now that our voices will be heard june 20th and we get this enquiry opened
                               Eternal Father Grant them Peace
                         THEY'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Annette
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #125: Apr 24, 2009 04:42:20 am
      Very new to this site, joined this morning and I live in Leeds, but so love and enjoy to visit Liverpool and see my team play.

I so want this petition to be successful and for the families of the 96 who lost their lives on April 15th 1989 so they can mourn and have closure.
      « Last Edit: Apr 24, 2009 06:42:06 am by ayrton77, Reason: Posting in capital letters »
      ourkid
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #126: May 20, 2009 07:03:57 pm
          '''i called for  Justice  to the mp my son alan was at hilsborough and his 3 mates one of his mates Never came home his name David Mather has I sed \\\Justice/// Justice\\\Justice/// God Bless THE 96
      Quite a few very strange comments coming from you people. Since when did wearing Liverpool clobber make you a Liverpool fan? Since when did showing respect at the right time make you fit to attend. Since when was it fitting to invite a member of the Establishment that we are fighting to attend our personal day? since when did we decide that using camera phones at a memorial service is right and fitting. Do you all intend to film your parents funerals? Or were you there to catch a glimpse of your favourite player? Since when do we all decide to go because it is the 20th anniversary? Where were you all when we needed that turnout year after year? I felt sorry for the mug MP who delivered the establlishments message of good will. It was with the best intentions. Bit naive for an educated liar. (see expenses claims). I know you speak with the best will in the world and this website is a little politically correct, you ages are also against you but buy the book by Scoggins and learn about what happened. Most people should have turned their backs yesterday and sent the biggest message ever. they are not allowed in our stadium where our peoples dreams were born. Apologies but the truth is out there and not one day a year. Red till Dead.
      :f_wah:
      Tamyka 4 Torres
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 152 posts |
      Reply #127: Jul 27, 2009 05:47:59 pm
      J.F.T. 96
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #128: Oct 08, 2009 10:09:22 am
      Where can I get the j.f.t96 wristbands from?
      « Last Edit: Oct 08, 2009 01:51:20 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: Corrected spelling »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #129: Oct 08, 2009 01:46:03 pm
      where can I get the j.f.t96 wirstbands form?

Have a look at this thread, http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=4306.0

You can get them by post, e-mail or you can call into the HJC shop which is situated at the back of the Kop.
      THE BIG RED 1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #130: Oct 15, 2009 10:02:35 pm
      Anybody seen this before? Very moving poem.

A schoolboy holds a leather ball
      in a photograph on a bedroom wall
      the bed is made, the curtains drawn
      as silence greets the break of dawn.

The dusk gives way to morning light
      revealing shades of red and white
      which hang from posters locked in time
      of the Liverpool team of 89.

Upon a pale white quilted sheet
      a football kit is folded neat
      with a yellow scarf, trimmed with red
      and some football boots beside the bed.

In hope, the room awakes each day
      to see the boy who used to play
      but once again it wakes alone
      for this young boy's not coming home.

Outside, the springtime fills the air
      the smell of life is everywhere
      viola's bloom and tulips grow
      while daffodils dance heel to toe.

These should have been such special times
      for a boy who'd now be in his prime
      but spring forever turned to grey
      in the Yorkshire sun, one April day.

The clock was locked on 3.06
      as sun shone down upon the pitch
      lighting up faces etched in pain
      as death descended on Leppings Lane.

Between the bars an arm is raised
      amidst a human tidal wave
      a young hand yearning to be saved
      grows weak inside this deathly cage.

A boy not barely in his teens
      is lost amongst the dying screams
      a body too frail to fight for breath
      is drowned below a sea of death

His outstretched arm then disappears
      to signal fourteen years of tears
      as 96 souls of those who fell
      await the toll of the justice bell.

Ever since that disastrous day
      a vision often comes my way
      I reach and grab his outstretched arm
      then pull him up away from harm.

We both embrace with tear-filled eyes
      I then awake to realise
      its the same old dream I have each week
      as I quietly cry myself to sleep.

On April the 15th every year
      when all is calm and skies are clear
      beneath a glowing Yorkshire moon
      a lone scots piper plays a tune.

The tune rings out the justice cause
      then blows due west across the moors
      it passes by the eternal flame
      then engulfs a young boy's picture frame.

His room is as it was that day
      for twenty years its stayed that way
      untouched and frozen forever in time
      since that tragic day in 89.

And as it plays its haunting sound
      tears are heard from miles around
      they're tears from families of those who fell
      awaiting the toll of the justice bell.
      Dana011
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #131: Dec 08, 2009 08:07:39 pm
      my uncle died at hillsborough his name was chris edwards and me and my family want justice ynwa uncle chris

Quick Reply