Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Khan Gets World Title Fight

Read 2483 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Khan Gets World Title Fight
      Apr 09, 2009 07:36:49 pm
      Khan handed WBA title shot

Amir Khan will fight for a world title in June this year when he takes on WBA light-welterweight champion Andreas Kotelnik.

In another brave move by Khan and promoter Frank Warren, the 22-year-old will step up from the lightweight division for the first time to take on the Hamburg-based Ukrainian.

The former Olympic silver medallist is fresh from a victory over seven-time world champion Marco Antonio Barrera, a fight many thought was risky at such an early stage of his career.

However, with few options at lightweight Warren felt the time was right to step his prodigy up to 10st for a title shot.

Delighted

"This is the moment that Amir has been waiting for and I'm delighted to deliver him the opportunity," he told frankwarren.tv.

"Amir put in a sensational performance against a three time world champion and future Hall of Famer in Barrera in only his 21st fight and now he has to produce the same form against Kotelnik who is a good hard fighter."

Kotelnik, also an Olympic silver medallist in 2000, has never been stopped in a 33-fight career, and has previous form against British fighters.

The 31-year-old suffered a controversial points loss to Junior Witter in a European title fight four years ago but claimed the WBA title from Gavin Rees just over 12 months ago, when he outboxed the Welshman for 12 rounds before the fight was stopped.

Impressed

He has since made two successful defences of the title, most recently in February when he edged a split decision against the previously unbeaten Argentine Marcos Rene Maidana.

"I've seen Kotelnik a few times and I've always been impressed by him," Khan said. "But, once my trainer Freddie Roach works out the game plan to beat him, it's my job to execute it on the night as I did effectively against Barrera.

"This is the best news that I could have received. To fight for the world title in only my 22nd fight and at the age of just 22 is fantastic.

"Frank has done a great job getting the world title fight for me in Britain and now I have to go out and win it."

The contest will take place on June 27 in the UK although a venue has yet to be announced.

Sky Sports Article.

Good news for him, never heard of who he will be fighting though.

No doubt this will be another load of Box Office Pay-Per-View sh*te. You'd have thought that they would put the English fighters on ITV or BBC so that everyone can have the option of watching them :-\

Quick Reply