Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Players that "Dive"

Read 2329 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Players that "Dive"
      Mar 31, 2009 12:17:53 am
      I am fairly new to "European Football". Being an American I grew up with Baseball,Hockey and American Football.  I got into the English Game by watching a lot of Champions League, FA and EPL. Unfortunately, The games shown on TV were usually replays.

One thing I noticed while watching the Italian teams and Spanish teams in CL, they tend to over dramatize the tackles. I've seen a guy go for the ball and barely touch the other player and he falls down like he just took a bullet on Omaha Beach... But, Its only the Italian,Spanish and French players.  I never see that sh*t in the English players. Most of the time If an English Player or player on an EPL team goes down, Its because he took a real hit..

I understand the game and understand an attempt to get a free kick or penalty. But their are some teams that just do it constantly  ie; Inter,AC Milan, Roma etc...

How can the ref's give a Yellow Card and then 2 seconds later the player who fell down like he took a bullet, Is up and running down the field like nothing happened? Is this a topic thats just ignored or is it one of those "Unwritten" rules that FIFA or UEFA ignore?

Shouldn't their be some sort of responsibility on the part of the ref?  If he sends a player off for a "supposed" bad tackle. The player who went down should not be allowed to continue the game...If a tackle warrants a RED Card, the "Injured" player should then be actually Injured, or at least he should be sent off for 10-15 minutes. I just dont understand how these guys get away with it all the time.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Players that "Dive"
      Reply #1: Mar 31, 2009 05:27:32 am
      A player doesn't have to be injured for the tackling player to warrant a red card, it's more the intention behind the tackle that is punished. A fair tackle causing a broken leg remains a fair tackle, and would go unpunished, whilst a violent, high or very late tackle could warrant a card, regardless of the damage caused.

What it comes down to however, is the referee's interpretation of the tackle. I do think the footballing authorities should have more freedom to punish players who can be proven to be diving after the match is over, I don't know what the current rules or guidelines are on this?

At the end of the day, diving takes place to gain an unfair advantage, and if this is allowed to carry on without great consequence then what message does it give up and coming players of tomorrow? That it works, and that you'll go unpunished if you do it. It's an area of the game that needs addressing.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #2: Mar 31, 2009 09:31:16 am
      They need to crack down on diving, but since the Referee only gets one look, and that's sometimes obscured by another player etc, it's difficult to judge, which means a punishment can often be given incorrectly, and afterwards it would be rescinded, yes, but that doesn't help in the current match.

Although I think depending on how blatant the dive (Pedersen) the ref should give harsher punishments. Red seems harsh, but it's the only way people will stop it.

I think they need a video referee, but only if done right and analysis doesn't take more than 30 seconds, the same way that the referee can ask the linesman through those headsets.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #3: Mar 31, 2009 11:22:43 am
      Although I think depending on how blatant the dive (Pedersen) the ref should give harsher punishments.

In cases like that, why can't they just give him a 5 match ban afterwards? OK, the ref believed it was a foul at the time, but anyone can see Pedersen was just a cheating c**t.

Big ban given, surely players will stop?
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #4: Mar 31, 2009 04:34:34 pm
      A player doesn't have to be injured for the tackling player to warrant a red card, it's more the intention behind the tackle that is punished. A fair tackle causing a broken leg remains a fair tackle, and would go unpunished, whilst a violent, high or very late tackle could warrant a card, regardless of the damage caused.

What it comes down to however, is the referee's interpretation of the tackle. I do think the footballing authorities should have more freedom to punish players who can be proven to be diving after the match is over, I don't know what the current rules or guidelines are on this?

At the end of the day, diving takes place to gain an unfair advantage, and if this is allowed to carry on without great consequence then what message does it give up and coming players of tomorrow? That it works, and that you'll go unpunished if you do it. It's an area of the game that needs addressing.
      I understand if its a legal tackle or unintentional injury but, wheteher intentional or not If a player is sent off, he then misses the rest of the match and the next match and the player who took a dive is up and running around the pitch like nothing happened.  Should'nt FIFA or UEFA then turn around and ban the player who dove.  If its a Champions League match where promotion to the next round is decided by 2 matches.  That player who took the dive, continues to play both matches and the guy unfairly carded, sits in the stands.. I dont understand how some teams and players use that as a tool and never get called on it.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #5: Mar 31, 2009 04:44:11 pm
      I understand if its a legal tackle or unintentional injury but, wheteher intentional or not If a player is sent off, he then misses the rest of the match and the next match and the player who took a dive is up and running around the pitch like nothing happened.  Should'nt FIFA or UEFA then turn around and ban the player who dove.  If its a Champions League match where promotion to the next round is decided by 2 matches.  That player who took the dive, continues to play both matches and the guy unfairly carded, sits in the stands.. I dont understand how some teams and players use that as a tool and never get called on it.

Like I stated above, I think a ban should be awarded to the diving player, but until the authorities decide to stand up to the diving (cheating, if you prefer!) players, then this unsporting conduct will remain a large part of the current game.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #6: Mar 31, 2009 04:54:04 pm
      Another point to this, Why is this not done in the EPL or by the English Players?  I know on occasion it happens, however for the most part I dont see it. Is it an honor or sportsmanship thing?

I'll watch Inter play AC Milan and every 30 seconds some Italian is rolling all over the pitch grabbing his face,knees and ankles! It makes these guys look like a bunch of pussies. Show some respect and class.
      cynisca
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      Reply #7: Mar 31, 2009 05:02:23 pm
      You find that divers in football only. I mean in rugby, Australian football or American football there's no retards who dive. When a rugby player gets a hit he stands up and play on. The footballers crying on the ground and want to see her mother.

The best divers, I think, that's those players who will get a hit on her feet and hold on her face.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #8: Mar 31, 2009 05:33:25 pm
      You find that divers in football only. I mean in rugby, Australian football or American football there's no retards who dive. When a rugby player gets a hit he stands up and play on. The footballers crying on the ground and want to see her mother.

The best divers, I think, that's those players who will get a hit on her feet and hold on her face.
      There is actually diving in aussie rules there are a few players these days that when they get tackled they throw themselves forward to get awarded for a push in the back.

In regards to the diving it isn't just in those three nations you speak of there is alot of it going on in Asia too.

There does have to be something done about it because it is a dispicable act and to have a match result decided because of it is infuriating (F***ing grosso oz would've beaten them too.). I believe in instances like this they should have a tribunal (similar to aussie rules) where they review the tapes at moments that seemed a bit 'dodgy' and if there is a dive found then that player should face a suspension. Failing that it brings up the debate of a video referee again where the technology should be used during matches to tackle problems like this, offside rulings and goal decisions.
      cynisca
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      Reply #9: Mar 31, 2009 06:35:40 pm
      The worst diver in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvJ0PaxtUtE#
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #10: Mar 31, 2009 06:44:39 pm
      This is a grey area as the chance of a golden opportunity is there and gone in a split second.  I can't remember anyone getting a penalty staying up, he has to fall to the ground to get the penalty.  Yet a tackle missed will put him off balance and that split second will be the difference of shooting the goal and be surrounded by defenders.  I think until someone actually gets a penalty on without falling then nothing will change.  Torres last game he stood up was put off balance with a tackle stayed on his feet and the chance went and no penalty, no goal.   

Obviously there are those like mentioned that fall as they have been shot in head, but that then comes down to the FA they should review such incidents after the game in the Premier league especially.  And actors should be severley punished i.e the Ronaldo's of the world.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #11: Apr 02, 2009 04:49:29 pm
      Another point to this, Why is this not done in the EPL or by the English Players?  I know on occasion it happens, however for the most part I dont see it. Is it an honor or sportsmanship thing?

I'll watch Inter play AC Milan and every 30 seconds some Italian is rolling all over the pitch grabbing his face,knees and ankles! It makes these guys look like a bunch of pussies. Show some respect and class.
      This is exactly the reason why most English fans [although still appreciating overseas skills of certain players] prefer to watch the English game. Personally i cant stand watching 90 mins of an Italian game, way too slow, Spain a little better , but both full of diving  merchants!
      cynisca
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      Reply #12: Apr 04, 2009 11:50:31 am
      This is exactly the reason why most English fans [although still appreciating overseas skills of certain players] prefer to watch the English game. Personally I cant stand watching 90 mins of an Italian game, way too slow, Spain a little better , but both full of diving  merchants!

Dito! The Italian and Spanish game is more skillful but I prefer to watch the British/Irish game it has more pace and there's more action. And there's no diving.
      OhJohnnyBoy
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      • I throw sh*t at Chelsea Supporters
      Reply #13: Apr 04, 2009 11:04:55 pm
      Here in the States in the MLS "Blanco" dives all the time most fouled player in the league last year.

rio09
      • Banned

• 94 posts | -3 
      Reply #14: Apr 14, 2009 02:06:28 am
      i tihnk its good how the refs give the player a yellow  card cuase then if the player is an idoit and dives again he will get sent off and suspended

Quick Reply