Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sven Sacked By Mexico

Read 1977 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Sven Sacked By Mexico
      Apr 02, 2009 10:18:05 pm
      Sven sacked as Mexico boss

Sven Goran Eriksson's reign as Mexico boss has come to an end after less than a year.

Directors from the Mexican Football Federation (FMF) were set to discuss Eriksson's future at a meeting on Friday but later decided to hold a press conference on Thursday.

The FMF has decided to take swift action following Mexico's disappointing 3-1 defeat to Honduras in midweek.

Mexico have won all their home games under Eriksson but have been in miserable form on their travels and are struggling in the CONCACAF World Cup qualifying section.

They are currently outside the top three and if they finish in their current position of fourth they will face a play-off against the fifth team from South America.

The FMF will hope a new coach can revive Mexico's fortunes and steer them to next summer's tournament in South Africa.

Former England coach Eriksson only took charge of Mexico when he succeeded Hugo Sanchez last June.

The Swede, who parted company with Manchester City at the end of last season, was heavily linked with the manager's job at Portsmouth following Tony Adams' dismissal in February.

Sky Sports Link.

Not doing too good since he left as England boss is he :-\
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Re: Sven Sacked By Mexico
      Reply #1: Apr 02, 2009 10:41:54 pm
      When Mexico played the USA a couple of months ago that was the worst Mexican side I have ever seen. They seem to go away from their style of play and try something different with players who are not able to play a certain way.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Apr 02, 2009 11:20:27 pm
      Always has been a sh*t manager.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Apr 02, 2009 11:48:01 pm
      Always has been a sh*t manager.

:lmao:

Don't beat about the bush now will you.  ;)

I wonder how many female staff he messed about with within the Mexican football fed?  :f_whistle:
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #4: Apr 03, 2009 12:56:35 am
      He should have just stayed in Lazio was never any good to anybody after he left them.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5: Apr 03, 2009 01:04:13 am
      Did alright at City, until Thaksin made it clear he wanted rid!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #6: Apr 03, 2009 01:31:17 am
      Did alright at City, until Thaksin made it clear he wanted rid!

I agree, I think they would be much more of a force in the Premiership than their current manager. He knows how to get talent when he has loads of cash to burn (look under Lazio). I always thought he was a good manager, not top level manager. I know a lot of people here would be quite bitter about his time in England and not getting pass the QF but honestly the teams he had was pretty was that level in international football.

The issue is Mexican football is a completely different culture than in Europe, they do things differently and they play their own certain way. Sven simply couldn't deal with it and besides the Mexican media and many supporters were critical of him even before he was hired because of the fact he isn't Mexican.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: Apr 03, 2009 07:39:58 am
       It will be interesting to see which club he finishes up with,Newcastle maybe.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #8: Apr 03, 2009 07:46:57 am
      I wonder how many female staff he messed about with within the Mexican football fed?  :f_whistle:

Ehh!!  you just wouldn't would you ?    :D :D

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Apr 03, 2009 10:22:35 am
      Hahahaha!

I hated him at England. He had his clear favourites and wasn't prepared to try anything new. Not to mention took us nowhere.

Quick Reply