Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Uefa looks to rugby for ref rule

Read 1440 times
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Uefa looks to rugby for ref rule
      Dec 25, 2006 08:35:56 pm

Uefa wants football captains to help the referees police the game
      Uefa is considering copying rugby's lead by allowing only captains to talk to referees during games.
      In a Football Focus special report to be aired on BBC One on Saturday, Uefa's William Gaillard admits the current situation is becoming "dangerous".

He believes captains should take more liability for the game's direction.

"It's common in rugby to call both captains and say 'cut it out, the game is not taking the right course and it is up to you'," said Gaillard.

The Uefa spokesman also admitted that European football's governing body was concerned at the breakdown in relations between officials and players and managers, particularly when the disputes result in violence at amateur level.

"What is really worrying is what is happening in the lower leagues," he said.

"There is somebody injured almost every weekend somewhere in Europe.

"That means the national associations can't find referees at the grass-roots level.

"If you don't find referees there, very soon you won't find referees for the lower divisions of the professional game and ultimately the elite (divisions)."

Gaillard disagreed, however, that the quality of refereeing had deteriorated.

He said it was the same as it had been for "a century and a half" and that errors were still rare.

Former international referee David Elleray agrees with Gaillard and points to the increased scrutiny that officials are under - thanks to television - as the cause of the heightened awareness of refereeing mistakes.

And Elleray, who retired from refereeing in 2003, said players, managers, fans and the media have to accept that referees will make mistakes from time to time.

He does not, however, think officials should be exempt from criticism if they make an error, as long as the criticism is measured and in context.

"I think it would be sad if we said that you can never comment on a decision or say a referee made a mistake," said Elleray.

"We comment on players making mistakes - for example, Saha missing the penalty (against Celtic on Tuesday).

"It was a crucial error but he didn't deliberately miss it, and it doesn't mean he is an incompetent player.

"But if the referee had made a similar error in that game there would be questions about his integrity, judgement and competence.

"It's what is behind the criticism, and the nature of the criticism, that is damaging for referees and football, not the criticism itself."

Elleray said that like Uefa he was concerned the current spate of high-profile rows following contentious refereeing decisions would hurt football.

"Retaining and recruiting referees at the grass-roots level is already difficult," he said.

"And without referees the game will descend into anarchy and chaos."

Think this will hit Chavski and Man Urinals hard. Good idea though.
      All we ask for is for the referee's to get the decisions correct first time round and we wouldn't need all this.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Re: Uefa looks to rugby for ref rule
      Reply #1: Dec 25, 2006 09:05:05 pm
      Heard about this a few weeks back Tommo.  It's a good idea.  Captain's in football do not carry out anywhere near the number of duties expected of them in Rugby.

I like the idea that in stead of the whole team circling the ref, the captain should have a sensible debate. 

'Most' Captain's of teams are reasonably minded players so I am all for it.
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #2: Dec 25, 2006 10:21:40 pm
      this is a great idea, i played rugby for many years & this works really well - there seems to be a higher level of respect for the officials in rugby - how often do you see decisions disputed in a rugby match? hardly ever! there's no reason why it shouldn't work in football. the only problem i can see is the mentality of the players, they're so used to voicing their opinions towards the ref & his assistants i can see the number of cards for dissent going through the roof before they get the idea!
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3: Dec 26, 2006 12:49:42 pm
      Yeah count me in. Sounds like a good idea.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #4: Dec 26, 2006 07:48:59 pm
      Excellent idea, then bellers won't get in too much trouble  ;) ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #5: Dec 27, 2006 04:13:23 pm
      there seems to be a higher level of respect for the officials in rugby

Footballers, on the whole, are tarts.  I don't know what it is about Football referee's but they seem to enjoy the limelight a bit too much.  Maybe it's all part of the Sky dumbing down of our great game - keen to 'get an interview' with the referee. When they do this then they are always asking him to explain his decision etc etc.  Also in no other sport do you get commentators criticising the referee as much.  This constant glare means that more than any other sport, us fans subconsciously make a note of how well the referee is doing throughout a game.

You watch any other sport, and I could ask you at the end - What did you think of the ref?

And you wouldn't have the foggiest how 'good' a game he had.

In Football - we always have an opinion.

Quick Reply