Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Blackburn away (Boxing Day)

Read 5878 times
      NWA
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts |
      Re: Blackburn away (Boxing Day)
      Reply #23: Dec 27, 2006 12:27:26 pm
      This is the difference between us and the top two at the minute!

The difference is that we dont have a Ronaldo or a Robben in the team and we dont have a Rooney or a Drogba in the team.. thats the difference between the top 2 and us. Also the new Dubai owners are not looking to invest in new players once they take over.. they are looking to sell the club in seven years time and make a 25% profit so if this is true then the future is not so bright for Liverpool.

I don't think Moores would let people like that takeover the club.
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #24: Dec 27, 2006 01:17:39 pm
      Court_LFC

What game were you were watching ! ????

I admire you backing the Reds but the bottom line is apart from Bellamy none of our strikers or indeed players looked like scoring, I saw the game and you can't say hitting the post was a clear cut chance created in the 6 yard box ! If you are then we really are clutching at straws.

Bottom line is as I much as I hate saying it until our front players can start scoring as freely as Man U or Arsenal, will forget Chelsea for the moment, we wont stand any chance of winning the title. Both Man U and Arsenal would have got the 3 points against Blackburn and that is the problem !

The Charlton match confirnmed how bad we are, any decent attacking line would have hit 5 for sure, did you see that game !!???
      NWA
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts |
      Reply #25: Dec 27, 2006 01:36:44 pm
      Thank you hound...

Anyway it is true that we need loads of chances to score a goal and that is the problem.. our problem!
      Sometimes when you play a team like Arsenal or Chelsea you will not get many chances and seeing that we can't hit a cows backside from 6 yards is a dissapointment! We need to be more like Chelsea who create 1 or 2 good chances and score one of them.

I watch Chelsea live on sky a lot and they don't make many chances but when they do it usually hits the back of the net.. we are the oposite.. we create chance after chance but can't seem to hit the net.. most guilty over the past few games are Dirky & Crouchy. Bellamy missed a sitter yesterday, Crouch missed 3 and Alonso was the only player to create a chance out of nothing.

We really need a superstar who can make things happen, who can make a whole team frightened. As much as Gerrard is the best CM player in the world he is no Cristiano Ronaldo or Ronaldinho who scare defenders all day long. Thats what we need... a player who makes defenders back off and off and that would bring Gerrard back to life.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #26: Dec 27, 2006 02:17:29 pm
      I know money is tight at the mo, but like you say we need top notch players to make us real challengers.
      SWP looks like he's up for sale - and we all know what he can do, Torres wants a move.
      We need to take a gamble, 2 top wingers and a quality striker.
      Hopefully money will come from the takeover (?), a new shirt sponsorship deal, Cisse sale etc
      We need to spend big and attract the best.
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #27: Dec 27, 2006 05:29:16 pm
      Yesterday's game was total sh*t.

We weren't brilliant against Watford to be honest - we definitely were going through the motions that day.

We must have created more chances this season than last but 34 points from 20 games?? Come off it.

Absolutely woeful.  ALL the strikers have been poor this season lets not beat around the bush, and Alonso, Gerrard and the two wing men have not bagged enough goals.

To be honest, I think a fit Cisse would have been our top scorer this season the chances we have created.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #28: Dec 27, 2006 07:16:14 pm
      Court_LFC

What game were you were watching ! ????

I admire you backing the Reds but the bottom line is apart from Bellamy none of our strikers or indeed players looked like scoring, I saw the game and you can't say hitting the post was a clear cut chance created in the 6 yard box ! If you are then we really are clutching at straws.

Bottom line is as I much as I hate saying it until our front players can start scoring as freely as Man U or Arsenal, will forget Chelsea for the moment, we wont stand any chance of winning the title. Both Man U and Arsenal would have got the 3 points against Blackburn and that is the problem !

The Charlton match confirnmed how bad we are, any decent attacking line would have hit 5 for sure, did you see that game !!???

Yes, I saw the Charlton game.
      But back to the Blackburn game. The chances we had in the second half was clear chances. Clear enough to at least bag us a point.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #29: Dec 27, 2006 11:25:15 pm
      Yeah. 2 excellent chances by Xabi, excellent goalkeeping as well from Brad Friedel.  ;)
      NWA
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts |
      Reply #30: Dec 27, 2006 11:33:20 pm
      Xabi's chances were not clear chances... crouches chances were clear chances
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #31: Dec 27, 2006 11:34:23 pm
      Court you make my argument for me 2 chances (not exactly a bag full) and how many did we score err 0.

Face facts we need forwards who score goals until have we have em we will always be playing catch up.

Why can't you admit we need some world class finishers ? Its not exactly hard to grasp !!???
      NWA
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts |
      Reply #32: Dec 27, 2006 11:47:08 pm
      Hi hound.. tell me about it, sometimes you need to accept things are not good enough and if there is one area on the pitch Liverpool have not been good enough on then its got to be that final third and its been that way since Owen left us.

Everyone thought Dirk Kuyt would be a 20 goal a season player but really he is more of a team player who works hard for the team.. good that he works hard but after 6 clear chances against Charlton he did not put away he can't be a natural finisher like Van Nisterrooy.

Craig Bellamy is a good striker but so many players know his game and that is to get behind the defence and get through on goal.. stop him at that then you stop him playing simple as.

Peter Crouch can be a struggle for some defenders but seeing as he can't direct his headers he is not that much of a problem. He has no pace to get behind defenders and he is no natural goal scorer.

So what we need is fresh, young and world class blood like David Villa & Fernando Torres who can score hatfull of goals as they proved in the world cup
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #33: Dec 28, 2006 12:05:17 am
      hi nwa !

yes its obvious the strikers are the problem as we don't have any natural young goal finishers who will score 20+ a season.

The ones have are good at contributing to the team in other ways but none score enough because thats not their game. I haven't actually seen much of of Villa in the La Liga but clearly Torres will always score goals, the only problem like so many others will he fail to do it in the EPL, I think he would succeed as he seems to have pace strengh and is direct (knows where the goal is and not the corner flag).

But I also  think that we need to try and get someone unplayable like Ronaldo on the wing who can get the ball into the 6 yard box, other than Gerrard there aren't enough of our players who do that enough.

The above also means that we have to now start buying proven world class players and not gambling on potential or players who are there or there abouts they have to be the sort chelsea barcelona or man u would go for. So as said b4 lets hope DIC take the club over soon so we can move on to the next level of purchasing in the transfer market and start to get a few of our own Galacticos !
      NWA
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts |
      Reply #34: Dec 28, 2006 12:09:55 am
      Im sure i said the same thing about C.Ronaldo as we only got Gerrard but need a player like Ronaldo to bring Gerrard back into the game more! C.Ronaldo attracks 2 - 3 players to him which leaves others unmarked and Gerrard unmarked is what Liverpool need right now
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #35: Dec 28, 2006 12:13:18 am
      agree pal, off now spk soon !
      NWA
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts |
      Reply #36: Dec 28, 2006 12:18:22 am
      ok.. where is everyone else? gone to bed i guess
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6726 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #37: Dec 28, 2006 07:11:34 am
      ok.. where is everyone else? gone to bed I guess

g'day NWA....i'm here mate just been watching the Aussies whip the english boys to go 4-0 up in the Ashes series. Now that's over you have my full undivided attention. :cool-smiley-027:

P.S been too gutted since the Blackburn game to post, but have been reading everyones comments with interest. :action-smiley-057:
      KopQueen
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 526 posts |
      Reply #38: Dec 28, 2006 02:55:20 pm
      Well guys, SURELY enough if we don't take our chances infront of goal, we will win nothing. Lokk from 3rd place to 6th? What's that all about?

Having chances and missing them ain't gonna work at this level.  Rafa really needs to find us a Drogba - like quality striker who bullies defences.  I've lost my patience with Crouchy, He's too slow. Even though he doesn't start oftwen, but when he does play he misses chances too often.

Rafa if you read this - Get Defoe, Lennon or SWP in Jan!! 
      NWA
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts |
      Reply #39: Dec 28, 2006 07:38:50 pm
      Ok, if we were more clinical then this is how things would proberly of looked.. games we did not win

Sheff Utd 1 - 3 Liverpool - we had plenty of chances to score in this game
      Everton 3 - 2 Liverpool - we had chances to score but not many, i admit they were better that day
      Chelsea 1 - 4 Liverpool - Gerrard had a one on one, Crouch had a clear chance late on and so did Kuyt, he also hit crossbar
      Bolton 2 - 1 Liverpool - can only remeber one decent chance appart from that we had no clear cut chances
      Liverpool 3 - 1 Blackburn - we had plenty chances to bury them early on
      Man Utd 2 - 1 Liverpool - only Kuyt header should of been in, apart from that we were quite poor in that match
      Arsenal 3 - 1 - Liverpool - Bellamy header should of counted but again we made no clear chances
      Boro 0 - 2 Liverpool - we did make clear chances but like rafa said the finishing was not there
      Liverpool 2 - 0 Pompey - we were all over them in this match and dont know how we did not find the net
      Blackburn 1 - 3 Liverpool - Bellamy & Crouch twice had clear chances to score early on.. after that struggled to make clear chances

So that could of been an extra 14 points from what we have now... not saying it would be like that but if we were more clinical infront of goal i would of been near right with my answer. We could be only 2 points behind Man United right in the title race... all we need is 2 top class strikers with 2 top class wingers and i think problem sorted.. area that we lacked latley
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #40: Dec 28, 2006 07:55:35 pm
      Good post - agree with most of your in-depth stats but to be honest that game against Everton..

Still no idea how they scored them three poxy goals.  We should have wiped the floor with them that day.

No more messing about.  Get Fowler back.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #41: Dec 29, 2006 10:23:31 pm
      No more messing about.  Get Fowler back.
      Couldn't agree more.

Quick Reply