Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Do you believe in God

Read 17940 times
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Do you believe in God
      Apr 06, 2009 10:04:40 am
      One for the deep thinkers out there, and no I don't mean a lad from Toxteth, I mean the feller who needs a shave.

I would like a poll on this if its possible mods, it may be asking a lot though. But it's an interesting question.

Simple question, what do you believe in, as for me

No!, I do believe in something but not a God and I don't believe in religion, as it serves no purpose on this planet.

Who believes in a God, and why, give rational reasons why one should exist and in what form does it.
      « Last Edit: Apr 06, 2009 04:30:12 pm by smigger15 »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Do you believe in God
      Reply #1: Apr 06, 2009 10:23:38 am
       I believe there is a God,how else could we have a club as beautiful as Liverpool Football Club,I also believe there is a Devil,it goes under the names of  Everton and Manchester United.Seriously though it is everyone to their own,who am I to say there is or is not a God.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #2: Apr 06, 2009 10:29:35 am
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Apr 06, 2009 10:41:44 am
      I would like to think yes, but I'm afraid not.

I think there may be something, but I don't believe there was a person. Personally I think the Bible may just be a book full of morals and human values to lead humans to a good life and God is a metaphor for a 'good' human.

I think it's the miracle stories that confirm my disbelief as they all just aren't possible. I think the Bible also simply displays the evil side of human beings (the crucifixion) and from this we can learn to improve - i.e. in our prejudices and our stereotypes but sadly on a large scale this obviously hasn't worked!

I would love one day for it all to proved right, but I just don't see it happening. I'm a Catholic but I don't really believe. My mum has some faith, my dad doesn't.

I do also think that religion is one of the biggest sources of problems within the world but it's pretty much unavoidable as it's natural for humans to have disagreements over something which has no proven explanation. It's sad though that people will go to the extent they do though to almost prove their religion and I personally think when people say they have 'visions' from God or they have 'Spoken to God', leading to terrorism and killing other people, that is ridiculous. If God did exist, and did die for us, then surely he wouldn't 'tell' humans now to go and kill other people through acts that are just not understandable.

I do hold a bit of fear though inside, of when my life comes to the end, and the heaven and hell theory is right, whether I wouldn't make it for not having faith. I don't know though, it's an interesting topic.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #4: Apr 06, 2009 11:08:27 am
      No, not really. Can actually believe that Jesus was a prophet, but think the rest of the sh*te, the walking on water, rising from the dead etc is all bullshit.
      Have said for ages I think religion was used as a way of controlling people. And as for the Bible being the word of god, well I didn't know god had a secretary who did dictation for him.

But, put it this way, if there was a god, would he or she be happy with the likes of the Yanks claiming god specifically watches over there country. Who gives them the right, plus did god have a day off on September 11, 2001? Or was Allah in charge that day?

See how pathetic religion really is?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #5: Apr 06, 2009 12:00:44 pm
      I think it's the miracle stories that confirm my disbelief as they all just aren't possible.

:lmao:

I think that's the point, mate! ;)

Anyway, I don't believe in a God as is portrayed by the various religions. I don't think we would be able to understand any being as supremely powerful or eternal, and it's hard to believe that an entity like this would take such an interest in our lives.

Perhaps there are higher forms of life that we don't even know exist, in a similar way that an ant wouldn't be aware of our existence (unless we squashed it! ;)) and wouldn't understand even 1% of what we are! But one creator of the universe who keeps a personal eye on what everyone is doing and has ever done is a little too much for me.

As for the afterlife, perhaps there are other planes of existence after this one, and whilst I'm not totally sure about that either, it's a reassuring thought when we think of loved ones passed away, so if people want to believe that as a way of getting through grief it's fine by me. I'll certainly tolerate people who have beliefs, it'd be nice if everyone could respect one another, but the world just doesn't work that way unfortunately. But classic heaven and hell? Personally I don't believe in that.

I suppose if I had to pick a religion then Buddism wouldn't be bad. The Dalai Lama is a tremendously interesting and educated person, and I agree with many of their thoughts of mutual respect and harmony. It would be nice to think karma works too! :D
      Adz
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,192 posts |
      Reply #6: Apr 06, 2009 12:04:00 pm
      I do, having been born in a Muslim family. I'm not much of a complex thinker to say whether or not religion is right or wrong, is God exists, that kind of thing, i've been brought up with my life evolving around Islam. I agree with Ross that 'religion is one of the biggest sources of problems within the world' but it is known for helping people too in one way or another. Some religions now have a bad image and people take the wrong meaning from it due to a minority of people who claim to carry out terrorism acts for the sake of their religion, i don't know what religion they are talking about because i am 100% sure that Islam does not teach to kill your fellow human beings!

And HuytonRed, what are trying to say, "Or was Allah in charge that day?"
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #7: Apr 06, 2009 12:06:55 pm
      another religious
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #8: Apr 06, 2009 12:07:04 pm
      :lmao:

I think that's the point, mate! ;)

Haha yeah I know, but I mean some people accept those miracles as truth as it would have been possible for God to perform them, whereas there is just no way he could have done. Sorry, bad wording!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #9: Apr 06, 2009 12:33:09 pm
      I do, having been born in a Muslim family. I'm not much of a complex thinker to say whether or not religion is right or wrong, is God exists, that kind of thing, i've been brought up with my life evolving around Islam. I agree with Ross that 'religion is one of the biggest sources of problems within the world' but it is known for helping people too in one way or another. Some religions now have a bad image and people take the wrong meaning from it due to a minority of people who claim to carry out terrorism acts for the sake of their religion, i don't know what religion they are talking about because i am 100% sure that Islam does not teach to kill your fellow human beings!

And HuytonRed, what are trying to say, "Or was Allah in charge that day?"

Was showing the Yanks up for how pathetic they are when banging on about In God We Trust etc. That some of those fundamentalist christians can just be as bad as fundamentlist islamic terrorists. Whenever an american president is sworn in, there they are preaching that God is watching over the US.

Also what I'm trying to say as well is I bet Mohammed Atta thought Allah was on his side when he flew one of those planes into the Twin Towers, you know the way some of them gobs***e, fu**ed up, dickheads, who think they are martyrs and will get however many virgins, have been radicalised by supposedly religious men.

As I said it shows how pathetic religion is!

I'll stick to having faith in my footie team thanks very much, God, Allah whoever, none of them have anything on Shankly!

F**k it - The Romans had the right idea.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #10: Apr 06, 2009 01:28:57 pm
      Yes I do strongly believe in him.

Absoulutely ridicolous the timing of this thread with Easter a week away.

That is all I am going to say will not be drawn into any argument/debate.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #11: Apr 06, 2009 01:42:52 pm

Fair enough, but you should be able to discuss your religion? Not everybody has to follow your views at the end of the day.
      The Anfield Warrior
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,029 posts | 32 
      • RED Blooded since '67
      Reply #12: Apr 06, 2009 01:44:22 pm
      You mean he was just a figment of my imagination...!!!
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: Apr 06, 2009 02:17:50 pm
      No I don't believe in a god of any sort. What I believe is there is a different form of life and that while on this earth you have an angel looking out for you.

Hence the song Y.N.W.A.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #14: Apr 06, 2009 04:20:22 pm

Ditto mate, I know exactly what you mean.

As Venison says, a huge can of worms has been opened, and I for one am shocked at all the disbelief.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #15: Apr 06, 2009 04:30:59 pm
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #16: Apr 06, 2009 04:36:27 pm
      I do strongly believe in God and I also strongly believe in life after death.    I've had things happen to me in the past that there was no rational explanations for.  I also wonder how though, God can take so many people in accidents, cancer, large scale disasters etc.  As Venison states, it truly is a huge can of worms.

No explanations from me I'm afraid.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #17: Apr 06, 2009 04:40:57 pm
      I believe in God as well. I can't imagine how life could have been created by an explosion, there has to be someone behind it all.

But i can understand where people come from when they say they don't believe God exists. There are some things that just can't be explained.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18: Apr 06, 2009 04:46:09 pm
      Faith makes a fine pillow for those who fear life (and death) but it's Evolution rather than Creation for me.  
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #19: Apr 06, 2009 04:53:17 pm
      I for one am shocked at all the disbelief.

First off - not having a dig. ;)

Just wondering why you are shocked that people don't necessarily see things the way you do?

If you believe in God that's fine, and whilst I might not agree, I wouldn't say it shocked me. IMO everyone is equal, and everyone has a right to an opinion.

There are questions in life where there is only one answer, but when the question comes down to a matter of faith, I don't see why everyone has to see eye to eye. Everyone is different, and has had a different upbringing, different experiences of life.

So long as we respect one another's beliefs, I don't really see what there is to be shocked about.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #20: Apr 06, 2009 04:53:27 pm
      No, I believe in Karma, but God No.

In my opinion, a lot of quotes from the Bible have been generated to conform to peoples point of view and THEIR version of events and GODS WILL and YOUR interpriatation is wrong!! This really pisses me off, as THE BIBLE was written 1000 years ago, not when Chrst was around but when the Battle of Hastings was happening! So how acurate is that.

But that is not the question. God or what ever you want to call "him" why him and not her?, is I believe a way of getting people to do what you want, If you do this you will be rewarded when you die. Die! what about now. If you do that you will go to hell when you die, so its OK to be a sh*t now.

This is my opinion and I do not push it on to others, unlike some others.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #21: Apr 06, 2009 05:01:31 pm
      Dear oh dear.  Did we not have one of these topics a while back?

I'm really not getting involved.  Just promise not to start another war over it all.

I agree though it was poor choice of timing with Easter coming up. 
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #22: Apr 06, 2009 05:20:46 pm

The thing is most of Christanity (and I was christened protestant) comes from another ancient so called religion Paganism, Easter is not accurate for jesus's rising, and christmas is a joke(jesus was apparently born around march and Santa Claus is now the false prophet of christmas, its all a pagan thing which related directly to the winter solstace, I think easter is also pagan which relates to the renewing of life (the start of spring).

Quick Reply