Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Do you believe in God

Read 17938 times
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Re: Do you believe in God
      Reply #23: Apr 06, 2009 05:27:24 pm
      Ditto mate, I know exactly what you mean.

As Venison says, a huge can of worms has been opened, and I for one am shocked at all the disbelief.
      Disbelief, Well a lot of people have said they believe in their own version of continuation of life.
      Why should we believe when the world is in such a shitty state, nobody ever interviens divinley like when a kid is killed.
      I am a believer that man is in charge of his own destiny, and nothing ever helps out.

I cant believe your shocked in the modern world when us non believers outnumber the ones who believe.
      I often find that religious people have a narrow band of understanding of how the world works, (tunnel vision) in the grand scheme of things
      The only thing that might ever point to their being some sort of power is funny co-insidences like perfect numbers etc... and how certain stats and numbers are used in creative nature. If we had a pole we would know the exact count but some people are god on this forum and so dis-allow such abilitis.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #24: Apr 06, 2009 05:58:57 pm
      First off - not having a dig. ;)

Just wondering why you are shocked that people don't necessarily see things the way you do?

If you believe in God that's fine, and whilst I might not agree, I wouldn't say it shocked me. IMO everyone is equal, and everyone has a right to an opinion.

There are questions in life where there is only one answer, but when the question comes down to a matter of faith, I don't see why everyone has to see eye to eye. Everyone is different, and has had a different upbringing, different experiences of life.

So long as we respect one another's beliefs, I don't really see what there is to be shocked about.

It's just my opinion mate.

I don't wanna go tearing the lid off than can. ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #25: Apr 06, 2009 06:04:17 pm
      If we had a pole we would know the exact count but some people are god on this forum and so dis-allow such abilitis.

Right Robby I can't take it anymore. It's poll, not pole!

Hope this helps.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #26: Apr 06, 2009 06:22:00 pm
      If we had a pole we would know the exact count but some people are god on this forum and so dis-allow such abilitis.

And in that is the answer to your original question! ;)

Anyway, I think in the UK around 68% of the population believe in a God or Gods.

Here's some more stats from the US

The survey also found that women are more likely than men to hold both Christian and non-Christian beliefs. African-Americans are more likely than whites and Hispanics to hold Christian beliefs, as are Republicans. The level of belief is generally highest among people without a college education and lowest among those with postgraduate degrees.

* The 90% of adults who believe in God include 93% of women, 96% of African-Americans and 93% of Republicans but only 86% of men, 85% of those with postgraduate degrees, and 87% of political independents.
          * The 84% of those who believe in the survival of the soul after death include 89% of women but only 78% of men, 86% of those without a college degree but only 78% of those with postgraduate degrees.
          * The 84% of the public who believe in miracles falls to 72% among those with postgraduate degrees, and rises to 90% among women and 90% among African-Americans.
          * The 82% who believe in heaven includes 89% of women but only 75% of men and falls to 71% among people aged 25 to 29 and those with postgraduate degrees.

On almost all the beliefs that are central to Christianity, there is a general pattern with:

* Higher levels of belief among women than among men.
          * Lower level of belief among people aged 25 to 29.
          * Higher levels of belief among people with no college education and lower levels of belief among those with postgraduate education.
          * Higher levels of belief among African-Americans than among whites and Hispanics.

Other interesting findings include:

* 68% of the public believes in the devil, and 69% believe in hell.
          * 51% of the public, including 58% of women, and 65% of those aged 25 to 29 but only 27% of those aged 65 and over believe in ghosts.
          * 31% of the public believes in astrology including 36% of women and 43% of those aged 25 to 29 but only 17% of people aged 65 and over, and 25% of men.
          * 27% believe in reincarnation, that they were once another person. This includes 40% of people aged 25 to 29 but only 14% of people aged 65 and over.

Sermon over.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #27: Apr 06, 2009 06:43:49 pm
      First off - not having a dig. ;)

Just wondering why you are shocked that people don't necessarily see things the way you do?

If you believe in God that's fine, and whilst I might not agree, I wouldn't say it shocked me. IMO everyone is equal, and everyone has a right to an opinion.

There are questions in life where there is only one answer, but when the question comes down to a matter of faith, I don't see why everyone has to see eye to eye. Everyone is different, and has had a different upbringing, different experiences of life.

So long as we respect one another's beliefs, I don't really see what there is to be shocked about.
      I for one do not believe in god , and well put Ayrton. Each to their own.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #28: Apr 06, 2009 07:02:58 pm
      Yes I do.

Next question?
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #29: Apr 06, 2009 07:09:11 pm
      I believe in God

I just always find it funny that people who support atheism from my experience try so hard to make religion look silly, I don't know why it really bother them that much about it. Like many echo believe or don't believe want you want.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #30: Apr 06, 2009 07:11:01 pm
      I for one do not believe in god , and well put Ayrton. Each to their own.

Thanks gareth. ;)

I just think if we all respect one another then we can discuss any topic sensibly. No need for it to turn silly.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,703 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #31: Apr 06, 2009 07:16:26 pm
      I believe in God.
      laoisred
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #32: Apr 06, 2009 10:17:24 pm
      I believe in  a higher power ok but it's hard to believe that the Bible is a sound foundation of fact.
      I mean it was put together over many centuaries and it has been doctored to suit the times in which gospels have been added.
      I was brought up R.C. but the way some of the clergy acted you wonder if a " holy man" can do such things and still be protected by the Church if religon is a mistake.

If we are to have faith in an unseen God don't you think that it is up to each one of us personally to worship in our own unique way?
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #33: Apr 06, 2009 11:29:47 pm
      Yes, I believe we were created in 7 days by God

Their is no words on this earth to describe the complexity of the phenomenon of life. To say it just sparked out of a pool of organic salts is like saying a tornado swept through a junkyard and formed an airplane. It would be interesting to know how much of the people who don't believe in god have actually read the bible and did their homework on it before they came to a conclusion.

I used to believe in what some of the others here say like, "the bible is nothing but a book of morals", but since then I've really puts some thought and research into where I might go after I die because, as they say, "You're gonna be dead for a long time". Both religion and evolution have evidence for and against them but religion (Christianity in my case) is the only one that makes sense because evolution teaches you that you came from nothing, are nothing, and will be nothing when you die, and its "factual" evidence is very suspect.

Saying religion controls people and is a money making scam is about the same as saying all black people are criminals or something. No doubt there are some crooked people in it for their own purposes but there are actually people who want to go to heaven and take as many people as they can with them.

Here's a question. If you were god, would you let people screw around with your words?

The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever. (Psalms 12:6-7)

I could go on all day in this post about this so I'll stop here...

I want to keep the peace too so if I offended anyone in my post unintentionally I apologize. :)
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #34: Apr 07, 2009 01:55:31 am
      Ayrton I think me and Res are in a state of disbelief with the timing of this thread ahead of the biggest celebration of Chrisitianity, not in disbeleif that people have a different opinion.

As for the post above F***ing moronic and disrespectful.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #35: Apr 07, 2009 03:29:39 am
      Ayrton I think me and Res are in a state of disbelief with the timing of this thread ahead of the biggest celebration of Chrisitianity

Yes the birth of the the Easter Bunny :D

Just joking, just thinking of the Simpson episode where Homer says Christmas is the birth of Santa  :lmao:
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #36: Apr 07, 2009 04:19:12 am
      Sorry I see the post by Dmasta was deleted sorry Venom-C i wasnt reffering to your post.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #37: Apr 07, 2009 04:52:57 am
      Ayrton I think me and Res are in a state of disbelief with the timing of this thread ahead of the biggest celebration of Chrisitianity, not in disbeleif that people have a different opinion.

Fair enough. ;)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #38: Apr 07, 2009 10:10:39 am
      To say it just sparked out of a pool of organic salts is like saying a tornado swept through a junkyard and formed an airplane.

Er, not really Venom. To some it would be very like saying that, (out of nothing remember), a Creator decided to; create heaven and earth, then make light and make man out of dust (he could have just as easily said "let there be man" b.t.w.)

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2009 12:50:37 pm by bad boy bubby »
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #39: Apr 07, 2009 11:48:14 am
      Yes, I believe we were created in 7 days by God

Their is no words on this earth to describe the complexity of the phenomenon of life. To say it just sparked out of a pool of organic salts is like saying a tornado swept through a junkyard and formed an airplane. It would be interesting to know how much of the people who don't believe in god have actually read the bible and did their homework on it before they came to a conclusion.

I used to believe in what some of the others here say like, "the bible is nothing but a book of morals", but since then I've really puts some thought and research into where I might go after I die because, as they say, "You're gonna be dead for a long time". Both religion and evolution have evidence for and against them but religion (Christianity in my case) is the only one that makes sense because evolution teaches you that you came from nothing, are nothing, and will be nothing when you die, and its "factual" evidence is very suspect.

Saying religion controls people and is a money making scam is about the same as saying all black people are criminals or something. No doubt there are some crooked people in it for their own purposes but there are actually people who want to go to heaven and take as many people as they can with them.

Here's a question. If you were god, would you let people screw around with your words?

The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever. (Psalms 12:6-7)

I could go on all day in this post about this so I'll stop here...

I want to keep the peace too so if I offended anyone in my post unintentionally I apologize. :)
      I respect your view but it has many flaws.
      for a start do you mean the earth was created in 7 days or man, if its man how do you explain evolution and the fact that even mice have 99% of our DNA never mind monkies similarities to man.
      To be honest its more likley that primitive man was altered by aliens than god, ie the missing link. I agree that life in my mind seems like a miracle, and I do believe that there is something after life, maybe a collective conciousness or something like that, but I think our need for a god stems from our need to be looked after by somebody, its the want of not being alone after your death. Also there are lots of writings in the ancient scripts describing people from the stars who can fly, I think religious people in primitive times might have mistaken these for gods.

Religion has its good points, it teaches values that a lot of people in this modern world seem to have forgotten, but at its heart it is misleading and can cause division among people. I sent my kid to the local church club for a little fun every thursday night, he come back spouting all rubbish, so  I pulled him from there, recently I heared that other parents have pulled their kids out because when they got there they had washed some kids feet....freeky people some religious people are.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #40: Apr 07, 2009 09:55:19 pm
      Heres my thinkin

Jesus was a clever guy, sort of a doctor or a teacher.

But otherwise i just think religion is one womans affair that got waaaaaaaaay out of hand!!!
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #41: Apr 07, 2009 10:58:23 pm
      I am a Muslim and I totally belive in God.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #42: Apr 08, 2009 12:33:07 am
      I respect your view but it has many flaws.
      for a start do you mean the earth was created in 7 days or man, if its man how do you explain evolution and the fact that even mice have 99% of our DNA never mind monkies similarities to man.
      To be honest its more likely that primitive man was altered by aliens than god, ie the missing link. I agree that life in my mind seems like a miracle, and I do believe that there is something after life, maybe a collective consciousness or something like that, but I think our need for a god stems from our need to be looked after by somebody, its the want of not being alone after your death. Also there are lots of writings in the ancient scripts describing people from the stars who can fly, I think religious people in primitive times might have mistaken these for gods.

Religion has its good points, it teaches values that a lot of people in this modern world seem to have forgotten, but at its heart it is misleading and can cause division among people. I sent my kid to the local church club for a little fun every Thursday night, he come back spouting all rubbish, so  I pulled him from there, recently I heard that other parents have pulled their kids out because when they got there they had washed some kids feet....freaky people some religious people are.

Sorry I meant the universe was created in 7 days... :mad:

Similarities between species can point to a common designer (god) just as easily as it can point to a common ancestor (evolution). Why would god change a winning formula?

The only evolution ever witnessed is micro evolution, whereby a dog's generations will grow longer hair if they start living in a colder climate and such, which is absolutely right. But people have only ever seen a dog give birth to another dog, maybe a different kind of dog, but a dog nonetheless. This first lifeforms that formed gave birth to a dinosuar, mouse and an apple tree??? These evolution concepts are easily believable if you throw in millions and billions of years to the mix and hear an "expert" say something like, "it evolved 5.3 million years later" and try to pass it off as fact when the real fact is he wasnt there 5 millions of years ago, so he doesn't know. Evolution is only a theory and not fact, which is what the text books your kids are reading at school try to make you believe (kind of screams "conspiracy!").

Most people scoff at the very idea of religion (i speak for Christianity here not the others) because they will then not be allowed to do all the "fun" stuff.
      Quote from sir Julian Huxley
      "[I suppose the reason] we all jumped at the Origin [Origin of Species] was because the idea of God interfered with our sexual mores."

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #43: May 28, 2009 01:45:05 pm
      Met many that do not have a religion but has good morals/decent and vice-versa. I'm confused.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #44: May 28, 2009 02:08:57 pm
      I do believe in God and if there's who don't believe in God that's their choice. I don't condemned them in anyway possible. They have their right to practice any sort of thing they believed in. I do believe in religious conduct in life. Those of you who don't believe in god or religion fear not I'm judging you in anyway. You have your right but as long you support Liverpool Football Club, you are my friends!
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      • 100% LFC, without doubt!
      Reply #45: May 28, 2009 06:29:46 pm
      Well spirituality and religion are not the same things or rather two dimensions of an entity..
      Anyways, I firmly believe in God, about the presence of an almighty. I take all the good things and knowledge from different religions: Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, etc and reflect on the underlying principles. and I think God is something "positive" irrespective of class, culture, religion..
      Its is not about performing rituals etc or belief in the 'magical' and 'miracles' but rather in that something positive and being influenced by it into being good, doing good. It is about spirituality. Jesus, Allah, Ram all have conveyed positive and good teachings to the people. Karma is the Sanskrit or Hindi word for "carrying out one's duty". Do your duty without expecting rewards from anybody, doing good things.

Quick Reply