Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Working out and Motivation

Read 3906 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Working out and Motivation
      Apr 06, 2009 12:12:01 pm
      I'm a thin guy, and I've always wanted to bulk up a bit. I did so successfully last year after frequently working out however then I let it slip, I don't know why I just lost all motivation.

I want to get back into it again and I felt no time better to start again then now, the Easter holidays.

Does anyone have any tips in terms of how to actually motivate yourself to actually go and get on with it!?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Working out and Motivation
      Reply #1: Apr 06, 2009 01:22:56 pm
      I have found that if you are willing to work hard right from the beginning with a right program and wiling to eat right and supplement yourself you will see results.

Once you see these results after a short period of time you will gain the motivation to keep going and growing bigger and bigger.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Apr 06, 2009 02:41:35 pm
      Do you see the food you eat as essential? I kind of just work out and then eat whatever.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3: Apr 06, 2009 04:06:07 pm
      I don't think that it matters too much what you eat unless you are trying to get full on stacked like.

I work out 4 times a week in the gym and eat reasonably healthy but still have a lot of junk food to eat and i'm still toned up but maybe i have a fast metabolism or something so wont put on wait from eating the wrong foods.

As far as motivation is concerned i think you should just work out even if you are not in the mood to, half the time i can't actually be bothered but once i start i feel more positive and find myself motivated.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Apr 06, 2009 09:02:07 pm

As far as motivation is concerned i think you should just work out even if you are not in the mood to, half the time i can't actually be bothered but once i start i feel more positive and find myself motivated.

Bit like school I guess? haha, yeah but I think you're right. To be honest I've never done it when I've not really been in the mood so time to change things I reckon.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: Apr 06, 2009 09:06:52 pm
      The key to sticking with it, is do something that you enjoy then you won't have to motivate yourself.  I bet you enjoy playing football, what better way to have a work out ?  Or if you enjoy running, get yourself out and about, if you're lucky enough live by the coast, or by a beach even better  ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Apr 06, 2009 11:41:21 pm
      Although at the gym i go to there is a very good looking lady that works there ;)
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #7: Apr 06, 2009 11:46:26 pm
      Ive got a great method mate.

I sit in one of those recliner chairs at home, put on about 3 or 4 episodes of one of my fave programs (downloaded from the net)
      Then work out in your own time, you can do almost any exersize on a bench.
      No smelly people around you, and when you feel like doing a bit of Cardo, jump on the kids trampoline for a while and you can nosey over into your neighbours garden while you do it,

or alternitavly play footy, love it but I cant get a game of late lost track of everybody who plays. Tennis is good too, and golf if you feel lazy.

MAybe you shouldnt listen to me though cuz i just hit 17 stone, but man im not too flabby like.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #8: Apr 07, 2009 02:17:50 am
      Ross mate your diet is the most essential part of the program. You can work out all you want but if you are not fueling your body with the right fuels and nutrients your hampering your progress. Key to any strenght/body building diet is protein so you have to make sure you have alot of it on a daily basis. Besides exercising and eating right RESTING is also important. But I cant stress the importance of eating right depending on your body weight you should have 0.36 g protein per pound of weight, consuming the right amount of carbs is also important.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #9: Apr 07, 2009 02:31:40 am
      I always found working out with a friend is the best method, it helps motivated you especially if the friend is in better physical condition than you (unless your not competitive unlike my-self who is)  and always seems to be when you are putting in a good effort they are on your back and same goes the other way around.

Dadorious is completely right about the diet, it is sort of defeats the purpose of working out only to have a sh*t diet which is a issue for me because I hate going on a diet but it is amazing how much better the results come in when you watch what you eat (not stave your-self, just eat right)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #10: Apr 07, 2009 10:28:06 pm
      Thankyou so much for all your replies, I have taken everything into consideration.

For the food and supplements, I have already bought a protein powder mix as I find it hard to get enough protein into my diet. I stopped taking it a while back but I may start drinking it again. I am also keeping a keener eye on what I am eating but I still need to improve on this.

I have also started playing in a Sunday 6-a-side league, good half an hour workout I've found. I also play on Wednesday nights now which is helping to so I'm trying to fit in what I love with trying to be healthier and it is working so I completely agree with those of you who have suggested that.

robbyr, I have tried that mate, I will do press ups or sit ups whilst watching things but I've found I just stop eventually after not doing enough for my liking.
      My dad recently has converted part of the garage into what is almost like a small gym, so that has helped quite a bit to be honest. I think I'm best just going in there, setting up my Ipod on a docking system and getting on with it otherwise I get too distracted.

CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #11: Apr 10, 2009 07:24:38 pm
      Good one Ross, is right mate.

I'm in the opposite scenario to yourself mate. I've got a normal-ish build, but still a bit chunky. I've found no time at all to start excercising. I've took on more work of late so by the time I get home it's time to chill!

But I've been watching what I eat. I've been eating more fish. Less bread is also a winner, and cutting portions down as much as possible. I eat Bran Flakes every morning. I used to have four rounds of bread with me sarnies for work. I've cut that in half. I've stopped having sugar in my tea as well.

With no excercise that's helped me shift a little weight. I'm sure a bit of excercise would speed things up too so when I get the time I'll start footy or the gym! ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #12: May 18, 2009 02:44:53 am
      I always found working out with a friend is the best method, it helps motivated you especially if the friend is in better physical condition than you.

Agree with that.  I've got a running buddy who is handily trained in CPR.

Reassuring to know.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #13: May 18, 2009 09:34:56 pm
      In terms of food, I just know that skipping brekkie doesn't help things at all. I use music more motivation, Rocky music, rock, dance, rap... Anything thats fast paced usually... I even have a work out playlist on my ipod :P
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #14: Jun 17, 2009 12:26:04 pm
      Now that I've finished all of my exams, I've properly started on this again.

My garage has now been half converted into a gym which is very handy indeed. Just bought a DVD player which is in there now too, I was watching 'Steven Gerrard - A Year In My Life' whilst working out yesterday.
      kop on the cob
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 133 posts |
      Reply #15: Jun 17, 2009 06:59:38 pm
      Take a picture of yourself without your shirt on

Put it on your mirror where you brush or shower

It motivates you, trust me. it did for me anyway as i would see it every morning and hate it (I was hefty though so not trying to be like a woman here)

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #16: Jun 17, 2009 07:02:23 pm
      Haha yeah but in my case I want to gain body mass rather than lose it. I find it extremely difficult at times to have the get up and go to get on with it.

Quick Reply