Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Competition Priorities this Season

Read 1976 times
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Competition Priorities this Season
      Sep 27, 2007 12:54:27 pm
      Given the squads put out by the Mancs and Arsenal, one certainly gets the impression that the Carling Cup is not high up on the list for some of the bigger teams this season. Yet, whether for form or to help with confidence, we risked quite a few of our bigger players on Tuesday evening.

Well enough, one game leads to the next and the confidence a team gets from a good performance filters through but judging by some of the posts on this site during and after the game, if a few tackles had gone slightly wrong, we might have seen a few injuries for this weekend. The risks are always there but you get calculated risks and some not so well thought out...

I'm glad Torres got his chance to show more of his undeniable talent and class but is the Carling Cup really another competition we want to be competing in with bigger things in mind?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6915 
      Re: Competition Priorities this Season
      Reply #1: Sep 27, 2007 01:02:17 pm
      In fairness we did have Premiership opposition whereas the Mancs and Chelsea did not.  Mind you - I have a lot of respect for Arsenal last season who stuck by the kids all the way through in the tournament and to some extent in the final too.

I'm glad we're through - but I'm not thrilled.  Part of me thinks that United will benefit from not being in the tournament.

I would play the likes of Leto, Lucas, Jay Spearing etc in the tournament and be keeping Torres fit for the Premiership.

Premiership is always the modern day priority and I would happily lose every game in the other tournaments if on the last day of the season the reds have a chance of winning the league.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #2: Sep 27, 2007 01:52:30 pm
      Is it fair to suggest that the amount of competition involvement is directly proportional to the regularity of squad rotation?
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #3: Sep 27, 2007 04:19:36 pm
      our number one should be to bring the premiership back to anfield.....its been a while since we've seen that piece of silver wear....
      i dont want to sound arrogant, but when it comes to champions league, we have a mental and tactical edge over 99% of the teams....the only team i fear is barcelona....the rest i believe we can beat....
      f.a cup is important as well, but the two i mentioned above, especially the league title, should be number one in rafa's plans!!!!
      This is the beginning of a new era at liverpool, and there's no chance we will see a drought of not winning the league, like the one we're in at the moment....im confident of much more success in england and in europe!!!!

~YNWA~
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8516 
      Reply #4: Sep 27, 2007 05:37:32 pm
      "We exist to win trophies"  8)

I've always liked the League Cup, not just because it was the first trophy I can remember us winning when I was a nipper, but also for the fact that when we've got to the final there's always more tickets available compared to the Fa Cup.

I also fancy christening the New Wembley this season, I'm sure are flags and banners would tart the place up a bit.

In terms of priorities, sure its the league, but we could always use the old Liverpool philosphy, sadly lacking a bit these days and just take every games as it comes.

I expect to be in the 2nd round draw of the European cup, thats not trying to sound arrogant just looking at the group we're in we should qualify.

Add to the fact under Benitez in the last two seasons we've always got stronger in the second half of the season, I reckon it could be exciting times this season for us Reds.

Just as long as he plays Torres and Reina doesn't get injured  ;)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,282 posts | 1513 
      Reply #5: Sep 27, 2007 06:20:37 pm
      I'm sorry lads but the way I read things from the previous few games, is that Rafa seems to drop players when he feels he needs to show nobody's place is safe, so don't get complacent. He just seems to be pulling the changes at the wrong time. The players don't seem to be injured, off form or tired but he still rotates when the  team is on song. What is the point of being fresh at the end of a sesason when you'r  ten or twelve points behind the top two ! whoever they may be, they will be so high on confidence at that stage, they won't be dropping 10 or more points in the run in. Because Keegan done it at Newcastle doesn't mean it will happen every year and rarely does as we have found to our cost. Leage cup, F.A.cup, C.L. cup or Prem. We must get a settled, consistent side going on a run before it is too late. You would think Rafa would have learnt from the last two seasons. Change when you have too, not just because you can.
      I'm sorry lads but the way I read things from the previous few games, is that Rafa seems to drop players when he feels he needs to show nobody's place is safe, so don't get complacent. He just seems to be pulling the changes at the wrong time. The players don't seem to be injured, off form or tired but he still rotates when the  team is on song. What is the point of being fresh at the end of a season when you're ten or twelve points behind the top two ! whoever they may be, they will be so high on confidence at that stage, they won't be dropping 10 or more points in the run in. Because Keegan done it at Newcastle doesn't mean it will happen every year and rarely does as we have found to our cost. League cup, F.A.cup, C.L. cup or Prem. We must get a settled, consistent side going on a run before it is too late. You would think Rafa would have learned from the last two seasons. Change when you have too, not just because you can. Prem and C.L. I want, but I can't see it happening if we carry on like this.  ??? ???
      Bloody hell ! how did that happen ?
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #6: Sep 27, 2007 06:21:54 pm
      It's the league for me too.I would take and lose the rest of the games to get that trophy ;D
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #7: Sep 28, 2007 02:24:39 am
      I might have preferred to to lose to Reading I think Rafa needs to focus on the premier league, and have the CL in the background, however I am delighted to see Torres get a hat-trick.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #8: Sep 28, 2007 07:51:30 pm
      The League must be priority but a cup would be nice aswell and a long run in Europe.

Quick Reply