Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Fall out from the Cup final?? What do you think.

Read 928 times
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Fall out from the Cup final?? What do you think.
      Dec 27, 2006 11:06:07 pm
      Im not a pessimist, but after watching all of our games this season, and the form of players, some new some old. Could there be such a thing as post final fallout?
      You know like you get after a nuclear explosion the radiation and dust that hangs around for ages after.
      I know we are well into another season, but in retrospect it could be argued that both West Ham and Liverpool are suffering post traumatic stress disorder from one of the greatest FA Cup finals in living memory. Im judging this mostly on form and squad members at the time and now. I think West Ham have come off far worse as they lost, but I also think that we are in the same boat, but because we have more financial help onboard we were able to strengthen our squad (Supposedly). Which in turn did not really do us any favours. It takes time for players to settle and become a cohesive unit and in part I have to disagree with the changing that Rafa has done with the team. I do though think that he is trying to find a team for each competition we are in and that is why all the changes. And this also has not helped with the psycologically bad start to this season which I think a large part of was the fallout from the nervous exhaustion of the cup final, and I also think is partly due to Steve Gs bad form of late, two cup finals like that in two years has to take its toll emotionally and physically, even after rest periods. What does everyone else think.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Fall out from the Cup final?? What do you think.
      Reply #1: Dec 27, 2006 11:22:44 pm
      I tend to agree with you there pragmatic, but only on the emotional aspect, footballers of today should be able to stand the physical pace of the premiership and cup competitions.  The fitness levels attained are their highest but as you say, its the mentality that drives a team to win i.e Istanbul - prime example, of wanting something bad enough.  I do believe  Rafa is trying to find a team suitable for each competition that doesnt work when you have got to build playing partnerships, he is stubborn and believes what he is doing is the right thing, i for one, would like to see Robbie brought on more often, even if its for 30 mins or so, he's the best goal scoring opportunity we have at the moment cos the others look half hearted.  (apart from xabis two excellent attempts yesterday)       ;)
      NWA
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts |
      Re: Fall out from the Cup final?? What do you think.
      Reply #2: Dec 27, 2006 11:48:51 pm
      If you play Spainsh style then the players wont be so knackered for International tournaments in the summer

Quick Reply