Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool 1 - Chelsea 3: Post Match Inquest

Read 52501 times
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Re: Liverpool 1 - Chelsea 3: Post Match Inquest
      Reply #299: Apr 12, 2009 03:17:53 pm
      This is my first post since weds night, i've been that down. But Fu*k 'em Redmen , we can still do this no matter what the odds. If we go there and truly go for it  ... I dunno just got this feeling it's not over yet. Our club is famous for it's fighting spirit and never say die attitude, there wouldn't be no miracle of Istanbul without it. So don't write the boy's off ive a feeling something mad is going to happen on Tuesday. Picture it.. if we can get off to a flyer , their arses will be going. If they think its done that could be our best chance, and with Terry out..? Come on Redmen fight to the end.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #300: Apr 12, 2009 05:33:26 pm
      We'll do it in the second leg.............I can feel it.

Totally gutted with the result from the first leg, but Chelsea will think they've got this won, they'll be cock-a-hoop and do what AC Milan did at half time in 2005.

We'll win on penalties.

Never had such a good spec in the kop......second row from the front, that John Terry is one ugly b***ard when you see him close up ....yuk  ::)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #301: Apr 12, 2009 05:43:15 pm
      We'll do it in the second leg.............I can feel it.

Totally gutted with the result from the first leg, but Chelsea will think they've got this won, they'll be cock-a-hoop and do what AC Milan did at half time in 2005.

We'll win on penalties.

Never had such a good spec in the kop......second row from the front, that John Terry is one ugly b***ard when you see him close up ....yuk  ::)
      Isn't your man the most good looking ;D.

100% of Chelsea probably think they're going through another semi final and some of my mates had mocked me but we are Liverpool and we are full of surprises.
      You know what would make it so dramatic?
      We lead till like the last 5 minutes and Stevie pops in an Olympiakos. WOOO
      MsGerrard
      Reply #302: Apr 12, 2009 05:46:12 pm
      Isn't your man the most good looking ;D.

But of course he is Ad  ;) then again I knew that already having studied him very closely  :laugh:
      rio09
      • Banned

• 94 posts | -3 
      Reply #303: Apr 13, 2009 03:17:23 am
      why does rafa keep persisting on playing lucas leiva hasnt rafa figured out yet that he is not first team quallity and rafa should have a think about playing mascherano
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #304: Apr 13, 2009 03:32:04 am
      why does rafa keep persisting on playing lucas leiva hasnt rafa figured out yet that he is not first team quallity and rafa should have a think about playing mascherano

Since when? He always chooses Masch unless of injury or suspension.

Masch was suspended for this game and was really stuffed after the Bolivia game. Who else? Spearing? He is a great player but i wouldnt throw him in in that kind of pressure environment.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #305: Apr 13, 2009 10:21:39 am
      Since when? He always chooses Masch unless of injury or suspension.

Masch was suspended for this game and was really stuffed after the Bolivia game. Who else? Spearing? He is a great player but I wouldnt throw him in in that kind of pressure environment.

Masch is easily the best defensive midfielder in the world, and Lucas has big boots to fill. The most important role or position that really makes the difference is defensive midfielder. Because that is where you try to control the midfield, protect the back four and often that is the most crucial part for the opponent's attack, because normally that is where they will try to attack. Statistics has proven that attacking through the centre often results in more goals scored.

I'm not slagging off Lucas ability as a player here but at the moment, he is no way better than a player Masch is. Masch has been with us since he was 22/23 and back then he is already the best defensive midfielder in the world.

There's no way that Rafa will leave out Masch and play Lucas instead because Rafa realises the importance of Masch to Liverpool.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #306: Apr 13, 2009 10:25:42 am
      i totally felt that playing lucas was the main reason liverpool faltered in that game...rafa knew that masch was suspended so he played lucas in and that junk failed miserably. in my opinion, rafa should put gerrard in a holding midfield position and played benayoun in behind torres...
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #307: Apr 13, 2009 10:33:35 am
      No chance mate. Gerrard was getting pushed back by Essien already and you want Benayoun there? Just compare the body size of Essien and Benni. What I thought was we could have subbed off Lucas for Agger at DM. He can make his maruding runs without worrying about his defensive duties too much, and then Benni on the left to cut in. This will effectively crowd Essien out of the game because it was from there that we lost the battle.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #308: Apr 13, 2009 10:39:54 am
      maybe, it's only a suggestion. I agree with you though...maybe he should move to the right side when he knows that essien was marking him tight. i said that because he marked gerrard very effectively so that when you put benny in gerrard's position and gerrard in holding than essien should have to mark two players instead of one...
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #309: Apr 13, 2009 05:18:02 pm
      I agree that Gerrard should have being put being into midfield after about 25 mins when it became obvious we were losing the midfield battle we could have put Kuyt up front with Torres and brought Benyoun on for Lucas, its unlikely Essien would have followed Gerrard there because he would have being getting in the way of Lampard and Ballack, and if he did all the better because there would have being no protection in front of the back four of Chelsea so there would have being more space for us to exploit, I think it was a big mistake to leave Gerrard where he was.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #310: Apr 13, 2009 05:23:15 pm
      i totally felt that playing lucas was the main reason liverpool faltered in that game...rafa knew that masch was suspended so he played lucas in and that junk failed miserably. in my opinion, rafa should put gerrard in a holding midfield position and played benayoun in behind torres...

F**k off. Lucas isn't to blame. Some players had far worse games, Aurelio, Skrtel, Riera and Xabi all had bad games. With Masch playing, we wouldn't have conceded so many bad goals, but that's because Lucas and Mascherano are 2 completely different players.

Why do people always jump to Lucas' to point the blame? Why is he the scapegoat when every key player has a crap game? It's not Lucas' fault.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #311: Apr 13, 2009 05:32:54 pm
      Xabi was not worse than Lucas, don't know what match you were watching Eem, at least Xabi passed the ball forward and was alway looking for the ball even when things were going wrong, Lucas just seemed to disappear from view the longer the game went on, one of the main reasons we lost was we lost the midfield battle, when you lose this battle at home you are in trouble ya other people were poor but to me Lucas looked out of his depth, he was to light weight and got brushed off the ball way to much. Mascherano was a massive loss.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #312: Apr 13, 2009 07:37:55 pm
      F**k off. Lucas isn't to blame.

Entirely agree.

Anybody, and there have been a few, laying the blame squarely or even mainly at Lucas Leiva's feet are totally off the mark, and I would have to question if they actually watch the game.  While Lucas may well not be Pele, he is currently playing a part in one of Liverpool's most impressive league campaigns in the club's 118 year history.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #313: Apr 13, 2009 07:41:14 pm
      While Lucas may well not be Pele, he is currently playing a part in one of Liverpool's most impressive league campaigns in the club's 118 year history.

As did Robbie Keane ;)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #314: Apr 14, 2009 12:16:50 am
      As is Andrea Dossena!
      Roland G
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #315: Apr 14, 2009 06:03:14 am
      We were simply outplayed and looked poor in defence. Not enough of our players turned up. We visibly wilted and 3-1 could have been much worse. Once again set pieces showed us up and not for the first time.

Agger back in the middle to partner Carra. After Aurelio's horror show last week, I'm loathe to throw him in. Redemption is the theme and we need a massive performance to even get back into the tie. Let's go and get at them. An early goal will turn things around for us and quickly!

This could turn out to be the greatest comeback of the lot. If anybody can pull it off, we can!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #316: Apr 14, 2009 08:53:48 am
      No one should blame Lucas for this loss. Win, lose, draw together. You just can't point out your fingers at each single player out there.
      Yes, the defence may have conceded 2 goals from set pieces but the team should have prevented the corner from happening in the first place knowing the physical presence Chelsea offer.

We thrashed Blackburn after that and that just shows that our first Quarter-final leg was a one-off game that the team didn't play well. Come on, even Florent Malouda looked like world class player.

I agree that maybe Stevie should have played in the centre because Lucas would always be losing the midfield battle against Lampard, Essien and Ballack. They're far bigger in size and much more experienced. On the other hand, we all know Stevie Gerrard is much more dangerous playing behind Fernando Torres.

Also, I very much doubt that Essien would be marking Yossi Benayoun (if Stevie played centre and Yossi goes behind Torres). Michael Essien's job was to man-mark Steven Gerrard, not "man-mark the player behind Fernando Torres". What I'm saying is Essien would still be tracking Stevie wherever he goes even till outside the field, ;D. And Michael Essien did his job perfectly well.

Well, there's not much point in harping about this game anymore. It's over and we can only believe we can do it tonight.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #317: Apr 14, 2009 09:51:59 am
      Xabi was not worse than Lucas, don't know what match you were watching Eem, at least Xabi passed the ball forward and was alway looking for the ball even when things were going wrong, Lucas just seemed to disappear from view the longer the game went on, one of the main reasons we lost was we lost the midfield battle, when you lose this battle at home you are in trouble ya other people were poor but to me Lucas looked out of his depth, he was to light weight and got brushed off the ball way to much. Mascherano was a massive loss.

He can pass it forward all he wants, but Xabi was misplacing passes all evening. Lucas was playing short simple passes, and keeping things moving alot better than Xabi was. Lucas does get brushed off the ball too easily, yes, but Aurelio was being bullied by Kalou, Skrtel was being bullied by Drogba.

Lay off the lad for fucks sake.

And just for future reference, I never said Lucas was better than Xabi. They were both sub-standard.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #318: Apr 14, 2009 10:20:35 am
      I for one want this match to be put behind us now. Bad performance, we are a whole world better than this.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #319: Apr 14, 2009 12:47:38 pm
      Me too. I think we should stop discussing on this game already because everyone knows what went wrong. They controlled the midfield and we didn't thats why. It was a really bad performances from us in front of our fans, so considering we bounced back to beat blackburn 4-0 this proves our mentality is there.

We didn't do ourselves proud in front of our own fans that day and that was it. It was a bad day in the office. I'm sure we are gonna make up for it today.
      kingkennyb
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #320: Apr 14, 2009 01:55:23 pm
      I believe that we will win tonight 4-2 over the ninty minutes but at a cost of losing one or maybe two of our key players for the title run. I think that the effort needed tonight and the effort needed to see off Barca could scupper our title challange. It's extra games we don't need. Arsenal next week is a bigger game for the club then this game tonight.

I would not necessarily cry if we lost the tie overall to Chelsea as I think we have bigger fish to fry.

We must win a championship!!!!     

Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #321: Apr 14, 2009 03:05:06 pm
      not long till kick off now

cant wait! i reckon we will win 4-1
      possibly with them scoring first

and i think agger deserves a chance at the back..hes a goo defender plus he can score some crackers

reina
      arbeloa--agger---carra---aurelio
      kuyt---masch--alonso---riera
      --------------stevie g-------------
      ---------------Torres-----------

Quick Reply