Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Liverpool FC vs Blackburn Rovers (Pre-match Thread)

Read 15751 times
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Re: Liverpool FC vs Blackburn Rovers (Pre-match Thread)
      Reply #46: Apr 10, 2009 09:33:11 pm
      If selected, of course he will.... Pepe Reina will be making his 200th appearance for Liverpool :)

Cant wait for this...... its come at a good time, after a defeat you want a game asap to get back on track. At home to a poor but physical side.....we should win this, and lets do this in the 1st half..... soo nervous tho....
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #47: Apr 10, 2009 09:35:55 pm
      I firmly believe that Rafa will return to his "Dogs of War strategy" for this one. We need to win well to get back to the top ( albeit for a short time), and to boost everyones morale for Tuesday night. 3-0 for me Nando2&Benny1.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #48: Apr 10, 2009 10:37:14 pm
      The best line up

Reina

Arbeloa Carragher Hyypia Insua

Kuyt Alonso Mascherano Riera

Benayoun

Torres

Gerrard sprained an abductor muscle. Rest him. Play Babel as a sub for Riera.

Basically asking for too much. But I think Agger will make an excellent LB too.

I like the look of that, although I wouldn't be suprised to see either Dossena or Babel get the nod for left wing tommorow.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #49: Apr 10, 2009 11:09:50 pm
      Does anyone think Riera deserves a start? Or anyone else apart from Pepe for that matter?  :f_tongueincheek:

Seriously though I think there might be a few changes from Wednesdays game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hyypia come in for Skrtel. I reckon Insua will come in for Aurelio. Dossena to start ahead of Riera because I don't think Babel is in the squad is he? Yossi possible to start ahead of Gerrard and the obvious return of Mascherano ahead of Lucas.

Four unforced changes and then another one which might be forced.

Normally I'd be a bit uneasy about these 'rotations' but I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they happened because in my mind, they'd be justified.

Skrtel hasn't been right since coming back from international duty. We need solidarity at the back tomorrow and one player that defines that ethic and has proved time and again he can be solid when called upon, is big Sami. I also think with having Hyypia next to Carra tomorrow, it would restore some confidence back into Carra. Because he looked a far cry from his usual confident self on Wednesday night. And I have no doubt Skrtel would have the right reaction to being dropped - I think he's one of those players who'd take it on board and make sure he does better next time.

Insua played this fixture away and done a great job. Add to the fact Aurelio looked ropey on Wednesday and that Insua started against Fulham, it makes a bit of sense.

Dossena is obviously not a left back and whether people like it or not, I think he offers a threat further up the pitch. He was direct and attack minded against Fulham. Riera was pretty much the opposite on Wednesday. So I'd have Dossena ahead of Riera tomorrow - if is doesn't work, then Riera can always come off the bench.

Mascherano is available - you have to play him with Alonso. It's that simple for me. Lucas wasn't any worse than other players on Wednesday, but we missed that defensive attack in between midfield and defence without Mascherano. I can't stress how much the importance of the engine room is tomorrow! It's vital to get it ticking over again in that department.

And then with doubt over Gerrard, Yossi is probably the best option to play in the hole. He can also interchange with Kuyt on the right.

Could be totally different as we all know you can't second guess the team selection. But personally I feel a bit of a shake up is required. I watched confidence drain from the team in front of me the other night. It was heartbreaking to see. It was unfamiliar.

Biggest one so far. It's a huge huge game this and we need determination and desire to get the result. We can not afford to have a lot of players kicking a ball around the pitch thinking what they done wrong on Wednesday in the back of their minds.

Come on you reds!!!!!!!
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Reply #50: Apr 10, 2009 11:49:00 pm
      id rather rest stevie and play yossi in his position and babel on for riera. maybe even play ngog upfront, if we dont lead after the first then nando in for ngog. i really believe that we can over rovers without stevie and nando.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #51: Apr 10, 2009 11:59:17 pm
      With Gerrard on the bench, play him for the last 20 mins if needed......

I think we should play 4-4-2

...............Reina.... .............
      Arby..   Carra ..Agger......Insua
      Benny...Masch..Alonso..D ossena
      .........Kuyt.....Torres ...........
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #52: Apr 11, 2009 12:09:00 am
      yep can't see Riera starting this one. Not only because (as Redkenny mentioned) he doesn't deserve to, but mainly because he has the worst stamina ever!! I think I've seen him play more than 70 mins once. I reckon Singh's team is spot on, maybe hypia instead of agger tho.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #53: Apr 11, 2009 12:19:58 am
      yep can't see Riera starting this one. Not only because (as Redkenny mentioned) he doesn't deserve to, but mainly because he has the worst stamina ever!! I think I've seen him play more than 70 mins once. I reckon Singh's team is spot on, maybe hypia instead of agger tho.

Yeah fella i thought of having Hyypia instead of Agger because of his physical presence. But I feel if we dont start giving Agger games, he will be gone in the summer. Agger is good on the ball who will give us that attacking advantage. We should be wary of Blackburn, maybe Hyypia would be a better choice for defensive reasons.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #54: Apr 11, 2009 12:27:11 am
      Massive game this one I cant wait just over 12 hours to go!

Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #55: Apr 11, 2009 12:41:53 am
      Massive game this one I cant wait just over 12 hours to go!

Too tight, each premier league game we are playing its becoming bigger and bigger...

Cant wait...
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #56: Apr 11, 2009 12:43:24 am
      From what I've read, Blackburn are likely to throw Samba up front with their injury troubles so that probably means a start for Sami. He's the best in the air we've got and to mark somebody like Samba is gonna need somebody good in the air.

Personally I'd keep faith with Carra/Skrtel though. They need to know that they're not gonna be dropped after just one bad performance against a very good forward. I think both would want to prove a point that Wednesday's game was just a one off. Before that game we'd conceeded one goal in five games and that was penalty at Old Trafford. We were all singing the praises off Carra and Skrtel for the way they kept Rooney/Tevez quiet and how they dealt with Carew's height and Agbonlahor's pace against Villa. One bad game doesn't mean they should get dropped/rested/rotated whatever.

Same goes for Aurelio. Personally I think our number 12 is a pretty average player but in recent weeks (barring the Chelsea game) has been as good as anybody in a Red shirt. He was outstanding against United, Madrid and Villa. Insua did play well against Fulham and has done in every game he's appeared in since he joined Liverpool but as I've already said, recently Aurelio has been superb and warrants a place in the side, plus he's got the experince to deal with Diouf's antics whereas Insua might just play into our former number 10's hands by reacting to his dives.

I would however welcome any change that involves Riera and Lucas sitting in the stands. I'd put Dossena wide left because he's shown signs of being a decent left winger recently. Although he looked a little lost on Wednesday where he couldn't control anything, he has shown some justification of his 7 million price tag, especially against Fulham. And Masch basically has to come in for Lucas, that simple. I wouldn't mind seeing Benayoun play on the right ahead of Kuyt either. Benayoun's form really turned after a fantastic performance against Blackburn at Ewood Park.

And I've made it no secret that I think Gerrard should start.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #57: Apr 11, 2009 02:06:10 am
      I don't care what the score is tomorrow, as long as we win  ;D

I've gone for 3-0 in the prediction league, it was 3-1 at Ewood Park at the beginning of December, I'd be happy with that again.

We were dismal at marking the set pieces on Wednesday......and we were dismal at our own set pieces as well, so I hope to see a marked improvement tomorrow.

I agree with RedKenny's changes, sounds good to me that does, definitely want to see Sami at the back.

Anyway I'm off for some kip before the match starts in just over 10 hours  :o

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #58: Apr 11, 2009 02:44:41 am
      My personal opinion is that we should be hitting double figures with our goal tally today.

Nothing less than 10-0 boys, march on you rampant Reds!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #59: Apr 11, 2009 05:48:56 am
      Prem is the still the priority regardless of the mid week calamity so strongest team and go all out for the 3 points. Stick insua and aurelio on the left. Rest stevie for the chav game and let yossi roam. Going to be a tough game on every level against blackburn. Need to gain confidence and a winning mentality again.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #60: Apr 11, 2009 07:23:39 am
      Well Benitez will assess the fitness of Gerrard really well. He will make a collective decision for the sake of Gerrard's fitness himself and the team's chances of winning the game. Realistically if Gerrard aggravates his injury in this game then it would be really a killer blow for us towards the crucial runin at the end of the season.

Rafa is in for a big fight here and whatever decision he makes on Gerrard's starting would and will have an effect on our season. Dont get it wrong Rafa.

In Rafa we Trust.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #61: Apr 11, 2009 09:26:47 am
      I'm thinking 4-4-2 with this one:

Full backs - Arby and Insua - our best two in my opinion. Aurelio's had a good season but I really like Insua and much prefer him. I can't put my finger on it but, for me, Aurelio just isn't a proper left back.

I would rest Carra (for Wednesday) and stick with Skrtel along side Agger. Yeah Skrtel had a poor game on Tuesday but (IMO) that was down to everything coming at him from our left which was piss poor. His confidence took a bit of a hit early on and he never got time to recover. He's not a bad player and Rafa should show faith in him by playing him on the right hand side of a Skrtel/Agger pairing. Agger is more than capable in every way and can move into midfield, very comfortably, when we are on the attack (I expect us to be attacking flat out BTW)

In midfield I'd pick take Masch and Xabi - no real surprise there. However I'd start with Yossi on the right and give Dossena a start on the left. Dossena came on when we were chasing a game at a very high tempo and had a bit of a mare but I honestly believe that he offers more, at present, than Riera. A start against Blackburn could see the best of him.

Assuming Stevie won't start; I'd play Kuyt off Torres. Kuyt's a striker for f**k's sake - let him "strike"

...............Reina.... .............

Arby                          Insua
                Skrtel   Agger     

Masch   Alonso
      Yossi                          Dossena

Kuyt    Torres
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2869 
      Reply #62: Apr 11, 2009 10:30:40 am
      I would rest Carra (for Wednesday)

Not going to happen.

Carra came out and said this was going to be the biggest PL game of his career so I don't think he will be rested.

Anyway, I think there will be 4 changes for the game:

Hyypia in for Skrtel - Mainly due to the long ball tactics of Sam.
      Insua in for Aurelio - Aurelio was poor the other night and because Insua isn't in the CL squad I'd play him here.
      Masch in for Lucas - Masch obviously slots straight back in
      Dossena for Riera - Dossena can only attack from what I've seen so far and Babel isn't in the squad?

It will be a risk but I think Rafa has to start with Gerrard even if he's not fully fit. Take him off when it's job done.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #63: Apr 11, 2009 11:35:44 am
      The players must feel they can put Wednesday's game to rest with a good result and in a way having such a small amount of time to get ready may be just what they need, the team must be chomping it the bit to put that one right so getting out on the pitch so soon is just what's needed.

Can you imagine having to wait a week to put that right. Carra's right to say this is the most important league game he has ever been involved in and the team as one can put us back on track today and they don't have to sit around letting it eat into them. Go to it you Reds and stuff fergusons & Alladyce's words back down their throats..........
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #64: Apr 11, 2009 11:36:15 am
      Usually the teams are out around now, anyone have them?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #65: Apr 11, 2009 11:56:26 am
      Live Match Thread here

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=16165.0

Topic Locked.

Quick Reply