Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Javi Martinez (Athletic Bilbao)

Read 36930 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Javi Martinez (Athletic Bilbao)
      Apr 14, 2009 09:17:40 am
      Liverpool target Athletic Bilbao midfielder

Rafa Benitez is chasing Athletic Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez.

The Liverpool boss has identified the 20-year-old prospect as one of his top summer targets and is keen to add him to the already strong Spanish contingent at Anfield.

Spain Under-21 star Martinez has been watched closely by Liverpool scouts all season. But they are likely to face competition from Italian club Fiorentina..
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/2009/04/14/martinez-is-on-rafa-wish-list-115875-21277499/

This is from wikipedia (information about him)
      Javier 'Javi' Martínez Aguinaga (born September 2, 1988 in Pamplona, Navarre) is a Spanish football central midfielder who currently plays for Athletic Bilbao, in the Spanish first division.
      Contents

Club career

Athletic de Bilbao signed Martínez as a raw 17-year old for €6 million, in the summer of 2006, from CA Osasuna,[1]despite him never having played a first team game.

Martínez soon became a regular in the side in his debut season with his powerful displays, with his highlight being scoring twice against Deportivo La Coruña, in a December 16, 2006 2-0 away success.[2]He finished the campaign with 35 matches and three goals, and again was everpresent in the following two, helping Athletic to the 2009 Spanish Cup final.

Personal life

Martínez met long-term girlfriend Maite at a training session in Lezama when she approached him for a photo. She subsequently moved to Australia, in order to complete her schooling.

I never saw him play. Any comments?
      « Last Edit: May 28, 2009 11:03:47 am by ayrton77, Reason: Corrected club name »
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Re: Javi Martinez (Athletic Bilbio)
      Reply #1: Apr 14, 2009 09:32:12 am
      Never seen him. Except I got him on FM and he refused to turn up to training and sign a new contract or even leave until he was on a free. pr**k. ;)
      gman08
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts |
      Reply #2: Apr 14, 2009 11:00:11 am
      I've heard of him in FM, some wonderkid. Haven't actually seen him play, but in any case i don't think our central midfielder needs any fixing.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: Apr 14, 2009 12:19:06 pm
      I've heard of him in FM, some wonderkid. Haven't actually seen him play, but in any case i don't think our central midfielder needs any fixing.

I'ts been reported that Lucas is leaving, so maybe he's replacement for him? Although I'd much rather see Jay Spearing there instead.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #4: Apr 14, 2009 12:58:51 pm
      Jay Spearing?

Hmm.. this really leaves a great big question mark in my head.

I may not be in a better position that most of you to judge this, but my honest opinion is that he wouldn't cut in out at the highest level. Spearing plays in central midfielder and also good in defensive mid, but his frame and height isn't there IMO. Although some may argue that Masch isn't that tall either, I have to say that DM is the MOST important role as you have to protect the back four, and this requires lots of awareness, and positional sense.

For people like Masch definitely you have to rate him up there with the very best, but I don't know if Spearing will really work out. Because it is such an important role that I really wouldn't put a gamble playing him there, instead I'll use him more of a sub in the future.

Just my sentiments though, he's good but I very much doubt that he is up to the task. Although one day if he could mature into a fine player, I'll happily slot him in there because hes a Scouser :)
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #5: Apr 14, 2009 01:09:08 pm
      Jay Spearing?

I may not be in a better position that most of you to judge this, but my honest opinion is that he wouldn't cut in out at the highest level. Spearing plays in central midfielder and also good in defensive mid, but his frame and height isn't there IMO. Although some may argue that Masch isn't that tall either, I have to say that DM is the MOST important role as you have to protect the back four, and this requires lots of awareness, and positional sense.

For people like Masch definitely you have to rate him up there with the very best, but I don't know if Spearing will really work out. Because it is such an important role that I really wouldn't put a gamble playing him there, instead I'll use him more of a sub in the future.

Just my sentiments though, he's good but I very much doubt that he is up to the task. Although one day if he could mature into a fine player, I'll happily slot him in there because hes a Scouser :)

Jay spearing played nearly 30 minutes against Real Madrid, one of the best attacking teams in the world, and didn't look at all out of his depth.

If you're good enough you're big enough.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #6: Apr 14, 2009 04:24:40 pm
      Jay Spearing?

Another good d.midfield was Claude Makalele and he isn't tallest that for sure. The most important thing is that he has these abilities: to tackle, pass, stamina. If he has those he will cut it for a defensive midfielder.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #7: Apr 14, 2009 10:10:58 pm
      From watching a good bit of the Spanish League, this lad ain't as good as he is on FM, nothing better than what we have already tbh. And even though I'm not his biggest fan ever, I'd like to see Jay ahead of this lad in the pecking order, so no thanks on this one. I'll take Camacho though :D
      gman08
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts |
      Reply #8: Apr 15, 2009 02:13:22 am
      Jay Spearing?

Jay Spearing defintely deserves a crack at the first team.
      What he lacks in physique he makes it up with heart.
      The lad's got passion, anyone seen the way he closes down opponents?
      I would love to see a graduate from the academy finally making it into the first team after a long while.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: Apr 15, 2009 02:21:29 am
      Don't need him and don't want him at the club, simple as that.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #10: Apr 15, 2009 04:38:33 am
      The last thing we need is another CM unless someone is on the way out which doesn't look like happening anytime soon.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #11: May 28, 2009 10:57:42 am
      Just come across this link, apologies in advance as it's from the Mirror and the credibility will be questionable but it's quite an extensive article.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/05/28/rafa-eye-on-10m-martinez-115875-21394758/

Long term replacement for Xabi apparently.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Javi Martinez (Athletic Bilbao)
      Reply #12: May 28, 2009 11:26:05 am
      Looks like more of an attacking style midfielder, kind of in the Gerrard mould, rather than a replacement for Alonso.

Anyway, I don't believe a word any of the red tops print...
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #13: May 28, 2009 11:31:27 am
      Looks like more of an attacking style midfielder, kind of in the Gerrard mould, rather than a replacement for Alonso.

Anyway, I don't believe a word any of the red tops print...

Agreed. More of a Gerrard type of player,maybe rafa is looking for a long term replacement for stevie?
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #14: May 28, 2009 11:44:51 am
      Agreed. More of a Gerrard type of player,maybe rafa is looking for a long term replacement for stevie?

Might sound silly on first thought, but Stevie isn't going to last forever. He'll learn bucket loads off of Gerrard if he's brought in early while Stevie is still in his prime.

Mind you. You arguably can't replace Gerrard's leadership qualities and his passion. It comes through being a local lad. We'd have to look for that within the likes of Spearing, Darby etc.
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #15: May 28, 2009 05:17:47 pm
      Might sound silly on first thought, but Stevie isn't going to last forever. He'll learn bucket loads off of Gerrard if he's brought in early while Stevie is still in his prime.

Mind you. You arguably can't replace Gerrard's leadership qualities and his passion. It comes through being a local lad. We'd have to look for that within the likes of Spearing, Darby etc.

Without a doubt Martinez just can't replace Stevie's leadership and passion.But I reckon,he could play in the Gerrard role in the future if Rafa does continue with our current formation.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #16: May 28, 2009 07:36:57 pm
      No move for Martinez

Athletic Bilbao insist they have received no approach from Liverpool for Javi Martinez.

The midfielder has been strongly linked with a move to Anfield of late, with Rafa Benitez reported to be ready to return to Spain in search of new recruits.

The Reds are believed to have had scouts run the rule over 20-year-old Martinez on a number of recent outings, and have been suitably impressed by what they have seen.

A big-money move has been widely touted, but Bilbao claim no such offer has been forthcoming.

"We know there is interest from some clubs in Javi Martinez, and that Liverpool have sent scouts to matches, but the club has received no bids," a spokesman for the Basque club told skysports.com.

History

"We have no intention of selling him, but it is normal that we will study any offers that are made."

Martinez, meanwhile, has admitted that he would welcome the prospect of a switch to Anfield.

"The rumours are not affecting me. I am very calm," he said.

"If an offer is received, then I will speak with the club.

"Liverpool are a great club with a great history and any player would like to be in their squad."

Link.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #17: Jun 10, 2009 04:49:55 pm
      Javi Martinez has distanced himself from speculation linking him with a move to the Premier League.

The Spain U21 international is said to have impressed a number of English clubs last season, with Liverpool and Manchester City reported to be leading the race for his signature.

However, the 20-year-old insists he has happy at Athletic Bilbao and has no desire to move on.

"The truth is I am not interested in this. I am focused on my club and not interested in rumours," Martinez said.

"Still, I have many years left on my contract.

"I am very happy in Bilbao and want to continue. The truth is that I don't want to move".

Martinez admits he is flattered to be in the thoughts of some of Europe's biggest clubs, but claims the possibility of a move to Anfield or Eastlands holds no appeal.

"It's like if they told you that you are on the right track. It's a pleasure, but that's all," he added.

"It makes me proud that such teams (are interested), but at the end of the day you never know what is real and what isn't.

"That's why I am not fazed by it, even if it is an honour."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5372588,00.html

Another who doesn't want to move then, Still as long as we keep our centre mid ther's no problem!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #18: Jul 15, 2009 01:16:39 am
      Well Martinez is currently recovering from an operation on his cartilage and is expected to be able to resume training in 2 weeks time, I'm just speculating here but could Rafa be waiting to see that the operation has been a success before placing a bid ?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19: Jul 15, 2009 03:42:54 am
      Martinez says he wont comment because it might be bullshit rumours that he isnt prepared to comment about (great attitude in all honesty) but if we bid for him, he'd come no doubt.

There's Bilbao and then there's Liverpool.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #20: Jul 15, 2009 05:44:57 am
      Jay spearing played nearly 30 minutes against Real Madrid, one of the best attacking teams in the world, and didn't look at all out of his depth.

Excellent comment mate. My sentiments exactly. The only way to gain experience is to play, and i feel Spearing is ready. Why have an academy if we don't use the talent on offer? I personally think the harder the challenge, the harder he'll respond. One for the future, definitely.
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #21: Jul 15, 2009 10:48:27 pm

Jay Spearing is the newest darling of Merseyside.
      He played 30 minutes against the Giants of Spain and didn`t seem out of depth.
      It`s quite possible that he`s about to become a really great player.
      Unfortunately his timing might be all wrong.
      I`d love to see a Scouser kid push into the 1st team but who`s he gonna replace???
      Unless he`s prepared to be SG`s understudy for the next 4 yrs Rafa will only play him when one of the midfielders needs a rest.
      Lucas is still above him in the Pecking order,although that might change this season.
      Spearing was MOTM tonight against lowly St Gallon.
      Only time will tell but he`s gonna need some Superman performances to displace the current central midfielders.

Losing Xabi might be the best thing ever happened to the lad.
      Go,give me a plus,you know you want to.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #22: Jul 16, 2009 05:21:18 pm
      Javi Martinez - from what i saw in the under 21 european championships he didn't look anwhere near the player that his reputation has him at but then again what one of them spaish players had a good tournament. Would prefer a finishd article rather than a young player. No need to spend big on a youngster when Jay Spearing is just as capable and he is already suited to the premierleague obviously so no need to risk it.

Quick Reply