Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Javi Martinez (Athletic Bilbao)

Read 36948 times
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Re: Javi Martinez (Athletic Bilbao)
      Reply #23: Jul 16, 2009 09:34:15 pm
      Martinez and Jay are the same age and although I know very little of Martinez I know more of Jay Spearing, he's a good player and given a little time he may just find a place in the team sooner if he keeps getting better, it's why unless a player who plays in the position Jay does,is exceptional why buy him, we have a decent youngster of our own....
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #24: Jul 16, 2009 10:07:35 pm
      I agree time to see if Spearing, Darby, Nemeth and Pacheco are the real deal.
      « Last Edit: Jul 17, 2009 06:40:44 am by muck »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #25: Jul 16, 2009 10:24:33 pm
      I would only want Martinez should Alonso leave, but he would be a class addition as he has a lot more to his game than Plessis Lucas or Spearing IMO and in a season where we have a great chance to win the league, I'm not sure Lucas Plessis or Spearing would be experienced enough to replace Xabi over a long season.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #26: Jul 17, 2009 01:26:47 am
      I haven't seen enough of him to suggest that he is an amazing talent that we should splash £15m-20m on. I have only seen him in the under 21 tournament and i wasn't impressed. Lets hope he performs better if he arrives at anfield.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #27: Jul 17, 2009 04:06:12 am
      Only issue i have is at his young age would he have the chops yet to come straight in and adapt without disrupting our shot at the title? I havnt seen much of him so wouldnt be a good judge, but thats the main thing that worries me about any replacement coming in. Im really worried about any major disruptions now with being so close to that number 19..
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #28: Jul 17, 2009 10:38:16 am
      I haven't seen enough of him to suggest that he is an amazing talent that we should splash £15m-20m on. I have only seen him in the under 21 tournament and I wasn't impressed. Lets hope he performs better if he arrives at anfield.

He was carrying an injury in the tournament an injury he has just had an operation to cure, they say he wil be able to retunr to training in two weks, so the under 21 championships was probably not a fair reflection on him as a player due to carrying an injury he wont have been at his best.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #29: Jul 30, 2009 02:32:39 pm
      BOSS: WE'RE NOT BUYING MARTINEZ
      Rafa Benitez is not planning a swoop for Athletic Bilbao youngster Javi Martinez

The Spanish media claimed over the weekend that the 19-year-old midfielder could be Anfield bound.

However, Benitez today told Liverpoolfc.tv: "He is a young player who we know about because Bilbao paid good money for him.

"But we are not watching the player and are not thinking about signing him, as I have read in the Spanish press."

Reports suggested the Reds were in a two-way battle with Italian side Fiorentina over the £18million-rated youngster.

Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #30: Jul 30, 2009 02:33:38 pm
      ^^ That article is from 2 years ago.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #31: Jul 30, 2009 02:40:35 pm
      But the good thing about him is he  has something ahead of our youngsters ....he as regular first team experience with Bilbao ...he's played in one of the best leagues in the world and our youngsters  haven't much experience ...I think only Jay Spearing has the potential to b e in our first team none of the other midfield . Plessi Is not good enough , and Spearing doesn't play in the Alonso type of position , which we need at the moment .
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #32: Jul 30, 2009 02:49:17 pm
      Martinez is sheer quality, I'd even go so far as saying he is at a higher level than Alonso was he came here of all the players we have been linked with to replace Xabi,  Martinez is the one I would opt for he'd be a snip IMO at anywhere between 15 + 20 million and could be a real driving force for us from the center of midfield in a way that  Steven Gerrard was as they are both very similar athletic dynamic box to box players with good engines.

IMO it will only be a year or two before Martinez is being hailed as a world class player and breaking into the Spanish national team, if he hits the ground running this year I would not be at all surprised if he is included in Spain's world cup squad. He's a very good player and if available and I were Rafa I would get him onboard asap before his price inflates.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #33: Jul 30, 2009 04:42:17 pm
      I read that article in the Cattermole thread but thought it was actually from today. Obviously not though.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34: Jul 30, 2009 04:56:21 pm
      The 19 year old bit gave it away to me as he is now 20 years old ;D

Javi Martinez profile: 10 things you need to know about the Liverpool target

Basque playmaker Javi Martínez is attracting rave reviews – and many top European clubs, including Liverpool, are coveting the 20-year-old’s services. Want to know more about the central midfielder? Read on …

1) Javier 'Javi' Martínez Aguinaga was born in September 1988 in Pamplona – the town in Navarre famed for its loco bull run.

2) He joined Osasuna’s juniors after a trial as a 10-year-old, later taking his professional bow for Osasuna B back in 2005, netting twice in 32 games.

3) His performances with Osasuna B convinced Athletic Bilbao to shell out 6m euros for the powerful central midfielder in the summer of 2006.

4) The highlight of his first season in Bilbao was a superb brace against Deportivo La Coruña in December in a 2-0 away win.

5) The 6’ 3” midfielder soon became a regular in the Athletic team and totted up an impressive 35 games for the club in the 2006-07 season.

6) Martínez impressed in his second season at the San Mamés, too, and has been a big influence in his team’s impressive Spanish Cup run. They face La Liga’s runaway leaders Barcelona in the final next month.

He scored this goal in their semi-final win over Sevilla last month, helping them to their first Cup final appearance in 25 years.

Athletic Club 3 - Sevilla 0 - Semifinal Copa [4-03-2009] San Mames

7) He has played for both the Spanish Under-19 and U-21 teams and is widely thought to be close to a call up for the full national team.

8) Liverpool were reported to be close to signing Martínez two years ago, and a Premier League move could tempt him as he admitted he enjoyed the “wonderful atmosphere” in the English league watching on TV. Fiorentina have also kept tabs on his development.

9) He has been compared to Patrick Vieira, and Martinez looks to have a touch of the Steven Gerrards too in this video, his driving run setting up a goal

JAVI MARTINEZ

10) When Liverpool were linked with Martinez in 2007, it was reported he had a £17.1million release clause in his contract – with the way sterling has weakened against the euro, the Reds’ owners will be hoping that price tag has come down...
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #35: Jul 30, 2009 07:30:28 pm
      That run was class reminds me of MOs goal against the argies.

bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #36: Jul 30, 2009 08:03:21 pm
      would be a wonderful signing, and don't liken him to a traitor before he's even got here LFC_Stuart_1988:@ ;D jokez
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #37: Jul 31, 2009 02:51:07 pm
      I think this is the man we need,he's strong and i think he would fit in to the Prem quikly.IRWT
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #38: Aug 02, 2009 05:17:21 pm
      Athletic Bilbao have a game today I think I am going to try watch it to see how Martinez plays.

EDIT - He wasn't in the squad.  :mad:
      « Last Edit: Aug 02, 2009 09:04:52 pm by vtorres »
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #39: Aug 02, 2009 07:55:46 pm
      I think we could do with martinez and Aquili just in case mascherano gets itchy feet properly
      JayP
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      • It's Rush!
      Reply #40: Aug 04, 2009 09:05:45 pm
      Athletic Bilbao have a game today I think I am going to try watch it to see how Martinez plays.

EDIT - He wasn't in the squad.  :mad:

That might be a good thing, no?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #41: Aug 04, 2009 10:52:17 pm
      That might be a good thing, no?

Very possibly.

Alonso barely played the other day, clubs would be crazy to risk injury to a player they're trying to sell.

You never know.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #42: Aug 04, 2009 11:02:19 pm
      Very possibly.

Alonso barely played the other day, clubs would be crazy to risk injury to a player they're trying to sell.

You never know.

He's just returned from an operation on his cartialage and has only been running for a week or so thats why he was not included in their squad.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #43: Aug 04, 2009 11:02:46 pm
      He's just returned from an operation on his cartialage and has only been running for a week or so thats why he was not included in their squad.

Oh well, he'll be cheaper like that then. ;)
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #44: Aug 04, 2009 11:14:24 pm
      You really like this kid dont you Daryl mate, If we were to sign him are you having a massive house party then? :lmao:
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #45: Aug 04, 2009 11:17:41 pm
      Sure why not I'll ask Rafa if he can spare a few quid from his windfall for the beer and snacks

Edit: Yeh I really do rate him I think he has everything going for him to be a massive success in England, his game is totally suited to the premiership and he is better than most we have been linked with, plus he's young and any player at his age with that talent will only get better and thats a frightening prospect tbh.

Quick Reply